Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th November 2010, 00:27   #16

Its highly unlikely that govt will make ABS mandatory on cars in the near future! The govt would be on the side of the manufactures, worried how it would affect the profitability of the companies, rather than the safety of public.

Off topic, but cant help to mention, govt officials were supporting the endosulfan companies at the recent world gathering aimed at banning the notorious chemical, aruging that it cannot be banned unless those companies are compensated. The officials just ingnored the fact that lots of people are suffering from the effects of the poison in kerala.

My point is the govt really doesn't care about the people. Yea, public pressure might force the govt to act. But, how united are the automotive users in India?
Abes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2010, 07:52   #17
Team-BHP Support

With all due respect, is the "high price" of ABS and airbags the reason why safety features are overlooked? I think it's more of a conditioning thing: Indians of this generation grew up driving in Padminis and Ambys with no seatbelts let alone advanced safety features. Even now I hear comments like "Arre mein toh city mein chalata hu, do I really need airbags and ABS?"
As the market evolves, more consumers will get used to the idea that safety comes at a premium and hopefully we see more such "safe" cars on the street. But the point I am making is that it is MY responsibility to ensure that the car I am driving is safe for myself, my family and my fellow drivers and pedestrians. Pointing fingers at the Govt is at best a vain attempt to pass the buck. Let them focus on putting in place good road infrastructure, traffic management, effective and punitive laws for bad driving, a licensing system that works. Those are more of a priority for me today.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote