Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th November 2010, 22:13   #1

Default Hyundai I20 with Kappa2 engine?

Hey Fellow BHPians,

Had visited a Hyundai dealer to enquire about the I20. I asked him wheather I20 will come with the same Kappa 2 engine as the new I10? He did not confirm anything offical but told me that we could expect one by January. Just wanted to ask that anyone has any updates on that??

Thanks
hot wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2010, 20:49   #2
BHPian

Hi guys. I've already booked i20. Waiting for the delivery. Is this news true about i20 kappa2 ? How effective is kappa 2 over kappa? Should I wait for Kappa2?
Me-hul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:11   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai I20 with Kappa2 engine?

Bumping an old thread i know but just curious..why hasnt Hyundai launched the i20 with the VTVT engine yet? Arguably it is the i20 which needed the upgrade more than the i10 did and it should have come to the i20 first IMO.
radiokidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Maybe Hyundai will probably bring in the VTVT Kappa2 engine in the i20 along with a facelift. If you look at it, the i10 came with this engine only after it was fluidized. So, I am sure that, in the not-so-distant-future, the i20 will also be fluidized (hexagonal grille, fluidic headlights and stuff like that). These are only my guesses though.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:46   #5
BHPian

Oh no. I just bought a top-ender 2 months ago. Sigh, there goes whatever was left of my car's resale value. The petrol prices aren't helping either!!

I always used to wonder why they haven't touched the techs. on the i20? Still clueless as to why Hyundai has side-stepped their hotseller? Maybe, they just want to milk it all they can, before the VTVT / facelift gives their cash cow another boost.
cingsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 23:27   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

So I guess the talk here is about the 1.2 Kappa engine ? We might need to look at the sales figures as well. If the sales are not that great to bring the new engine, why would Hyundai bother. They also have a 1.4 engine right? Is that engine only available with the Auto transmission ? And diesel should contribute at least 50% of i20 sales?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 23:46   #7
BANNED

Most of the Carmakers are waiting for the New Swift(which inturn is expected after Toyota Etios Liva launch) to launch their upcoming launches as a final checkmate to the King -MSIL.
The other upgrades are expected after New Swift launch are;
-VW Polo 1.5 TDi.
-Hyundai i20 Fluidic facelift.
-Refreshed Fiat Punto with Linea interiors.
-Refreshed Ford Figo.
New i20 fluidic is though expected in this Diwali with updated exteriors & new VTVT kappa2 engine.
CRtorquefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 08:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
New i20 fluidic is though expected in this Diwali with updated exteriors & new VTVT kappa2 engine.
All those new gizmos in the facelift will be meaningless if the facelift model too gets plagued by the steering rattle issue. They must fix the issue first *permanently* before even thinking of a facelift.
skanchan95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 10:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
All those new gizmos in the facelift will be meaningless if the facelift model too gets plagued by the steering rattle issue. They must fix the issue first *permanently* before even thinking of a facelift.
Knowing Hyundai and how they have treated steering rattle affected customers like you, I don't think it will happen. Heck, the company has not even admitted that there is this problem in i20 in the first place. But, silently, they will be taking steps to solve this issue.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 10:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

I think they will probably introduce the Kappa 2 engine with a facelift. But then again a facelift has already been done. So probably an all new model will bring the Kappa2 engine in.
AFAIK the Kappa2 engine is more fuel efficient too
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 10:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I think they will probably introduce the Kappa 2 engine with a facelift. But then again a facelift has already been done. So probably an all new model will bring the Kappa2 engine in.
AFAIK the Kappa2 engine is more fuel efficient too
Ofcourse! The VTVT engine on paper doesn't show much improvement (no improvement in the bhp figures!) But still the way the engine makes the power has been altered and reviews of the i10 Kappa2 VTVT were raving about how the engine felt smoother, less strained, and was more efficient as well. And an all new i20 is at least two years away as this is a relatively new model and a successful one at that. So I too think Hyundai would give the i20 a Fluidic face lift and the new engine. AFAIK, only the Santa Fe and the i20 in the Global Hyundai line up are yet to be fluidified
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 16:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Ofcourse! The VTVT engine on paper doesn't show much improvement (no improvement in the bhp figures!) But still the way the engine makes the power has been altered and reviews of the i10 Kappa2 VTVT were raving about how the engine felt smoother, less strained, and was more efficient as well. And an all new i20 is at least two years away as this is a relatively new model and a successful one at that. So I too think Hyundai would give the i20 a Fluidic face lift and the new engine. AFAIK, only the Santa Fe and the i20 in the Global Hyundai line up are yet to be fluidified
you are right, though a facelift has been done, it's not a Fluidic one. So probably a fluidic facelift will bring the kappa2 engine in as well.
Old 30th June 2011, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

And with the Fludic face lift, I would like to see the following changes being made too,
*1.2 Kappa 2 VTVT engine
*Steering rattle issues put to rest with a recall of cars already on roads being made.
*Black+Beige interiors.
I cant think of any feature I want to ask Hynudai! They have not left anything fr the money they ask
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 20:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand
And with the Fludic face lift, I would like to see the following changes being made too,
*1.2 Kappa 2 VTVT engine
*Steering rattle issues put to rest with a recall of cars already on roads being made.
*Black+Beige interiors.
I cant think of any feature I want to ask Hynudai! They have not left anything fr the money they ask
You are right, damn they are loaded.
A friend bought an i20 sports and the civic looks spartan feature wise in comparison.
Hyundai has done well to load it to the brim.
Old 30th June 2011, 21:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Never Ever expect from this Korean brand.
Quote:
*Black+Beige interiors.
I prefer Black/Gray
Quote:
They should have given some from the below list too.

Trip Computer with DTE
ESP
DRL
Heated ORVM's
A bluetooth enabled HU instead of AVN
TPMS
Glove Box Lamp
Rheostat control
Front seat Arm rest

Last edited by wildon : 30th June 2011 at 21:14.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote