Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th November 2011, 15:57   #346
BHPian

Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

For Indian roads SUV is the one which makes more sense. Anyway our roads are not suitable for speeds above 100km/hr with villages , cattle etc . With an SUV you have good visiblity , can really look over the traffic ahead , spot clearly . bad roads can be tackled easily. well this my opinion after driving a cedan for 8 years on indian roads . I will 100 % switch to an SUV when iam back .
Fortuner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 16:29   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
I think the crossover segment - XUV, Aria, Yeti etc. - give you the best of both worlds (or worst of both worlds if you are the glass half empty type )
True, with the kind of roads we have a crossover is the need of the day. XUV, Yeti is an excellent choice in the 12-15 lakh segment, slightly higher up in the 20-30 lakh bracket the to be launched Q3 and X1 makes a lot of sense for users who mainly drive in the city and on holidays take the road less traveled.

Though it appears like a compromise vehicle, in the sense neither is it as good as a sedan when it comes to dynamics, comfort nor is it as good as an SUV when it comes to tackling rough roads, somehow it makes a logical choice t buy over a sedan/suv based on the needs.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 11th November 2011 at 16:32.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 19:23   #348
Senior - BHPian

incidentally the Yeti on road BLR is about 21.41 for elegance and 19.56 for ambiente.
and while it is a crossover, it does handle very well indeed - very car like.
and from all accounts it is a pretty capable vehicle on rough roads too.
it is definitely a good choice if one wants the best of both worlds and if one has the budget.
i like it for its fit, finish, finesse and quality more than anything else.
it really is an eminently desirable LittleBigFoot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
True, with the kind of roads we have a crossover is the need of the day. XUV, Yeti is an excellent choice in the 12-15 lakh segment, slightly higher up in the 20-30 lakh bracket the to be launched Q3 and X1 makes a lot of sense for users who mainly drive in the city and on holidays take the road less traveled.

Though it appears like a compromise vehicle, in the sense neither is it as good as a sedan when it comes to dynamics, comfort nor is it as good as an SUV when it comes to tackling rough roads, somehow it makes a logical choice t buy over a sedan/suv based on the needs.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 00:29   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
incidentally the Yeti on road BLR is about 21.41 for elegance and 19.56 for ambiente.
My bad! Just checked the price of the Yeti, somehow i'm not so very comfortable shelling out 21 lakhs for it. Its a little too small for my liking but most of the prospective owners looking at the yeti won't be interested in hardcore off-roading i presume, so Yeti will be more than adequate for their needs. The small size has an advantage in the city, i'm sure it can fit into parking spots where our Octy won't.

I heard Skoda is developing a 110bhp version of the Yeti and working on reducing the price. Hope they come out with one soon and Yeti can gain some numbers, though i doubt if it would.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 07:00   #350
Senior - BHPian

I thought much the same as you until recently.
however, I researched and deliberated a lot and then realized there is absolutely nothing else which is quite like the Yeti, here in India.
yes, it is smaller and yes it is expensive overall. but for the quality, utility and functional package it offers, there is really no other contender.
I also love a large spacious, tough SUV which is why Ive been using a Bolero and then a Scorp.
But I also realize that as time goes by and more and more vehicles hit the streets, at least a few of us need to think in terms of a Compact, Smart, Versatile, Utility based, semi-luxurious, comfortable and above all, safe vehicle which is capable of doing all that one may want it to and functions like a typical "go anywhere, anytime" sort of vehicle. I expect my eagerly awaited LittleBigFoot to be my vehicle for all reasons and seasons, if I may venture that comment.
The Scorp is frankly too large for my daily use and I think constantly of the acres of space that lies empty most of the time -waste of space and resources as well as a larger carbon footprint (I think).
Yes the Yeti fails my golf bag test etc. But since in our case, we dont transport large numbers of people frequently in our vehicle and any vehicle we buy is mostly for just 2 of us, I can live with putting one seat down and fitting in my golf stuff.
I know I may not be able to use the Yeti as strongly I do my Scorpio but that is more of a price-led reaction - after all the Scorp is an M&M and costs less than half the Yeti's price.
But one does evolve over time and I think one also tries to reach out to better things, which is probably the reason for the upgrade.
If we were all satisfied with what our fathers had, then I guess I would be still buzzing around in an MM540 - which was my greatest point of reference in the 1980's and 1990's!
Hard core off roading is not something I do anymore anyway - I had enough of that in my old Gypsy and Bolero etc. I would definitely take it off road for utility or necessity's sake now, but equally definitely, no longer to leap and thrash about in the mud for light recreation - certainly not in the Yeti anyway. For such things, when the urge strikes, there are always some elderly jeeps around, which one can use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My bad! Just checked the price of the Yeti, somehow i'm not so very comfortable shelling out 21 lakhs for it. Its a little too small for my liking but most of the prospective owners looking at the yeti won't be interested in hardcore off-roading i presume, so Yeti will be more than adequate for their needs. The small size has an advantage in the city, i'm sure it can fit into parking spots where our Octy won't.

I heard Skoda is developing a 110bhp version of the Yeti and working on reducing the price. Hope they come out with one soon and Yeti can gain some numbers, though i doubt if it would.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 19:36   #351
BHPian

Hi all a really great thread. I just had question, what type of vehicle would have the least driver fatigue. I always felt that an suv would be better for long drives because of the way the seat is. I have never driven an suv for a long drive so just wanted to know people's experience
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 22:18   #352
Senior - BHPian

Horses for courses as the saying goes. Like GTO mentioned, if one's running included farms, slush and the like pretty often then it would have to be an SUV - else a sedan. I think, maybe I am wrong, that 90% of the SUVs in India are wasted. They are used for shuttling around town. Their off-roading capabilities are hardly used (if ever).
wilful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 00:34   #353
BHPian

@gandalf, I have driven a sedan for over 2 lakh km before migrating to an Endeavour 3L 4x4 AT, and I can definitely say an SUV is much better, much more comfortable and stressfree compared to a sedan, irrespective of the roads/traffic you are in. Being larger and more rugged, you have an easier and more stable ride on the highways, and in town, you get to rule the road, with most other vehicles, and especially the pesty 2 and 3 wheelers giving you enough space. Having an AT, of course, adds tremendously to the experience. I do a lot of Pune-Mumbai-Pune in 6-7 hours, and Pune-Goa/Goa-Pune in 6-7 hours, and have never felt as stressed as I would in a sedan.
siddheshb is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 01:13   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi all a really great thread. I just had question, what type of vehicle would have the least driver fatigue. I always felt that an suv would be better for long drives because of the way the seat is. I have never driven an suv for a long drive so just wanted to know people's experience
There is a dedicated thread on this topic (with no clear answer )
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tigue-how.html (Do SUVs decrease driving fatigue? How?)
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 11:03   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
@gandalf, I have driven a sedan for over 2 lakh km before migrating to an Endeavour 3L 4x4 AT, and I can definitely say an SUV is much better, much more comfortable and stress free compared to a sedan, irrespective of the roads/traffic you are in.

and have never felt as stressed as I would in a sedan.
Hi Siddesh,

Thanks for the update. I am at crossroads as to buy a MUV/SUV or a sedan to upgrade from my Indica. Personally, I have driven the Indica from Bangalore to Hasimara in North Bengal all by myself .. spread over a week, of course. I must admit, the car never gane me a backache or I never felt "stressed" .. the same goes with the Indigo CS in which I did Mount Abu to Delhi in a day .. about 15 hrs at a stretch. (This only resulted in a dull pain in the right heel .. due to throttle position i guess).

Do you advocate a large vehicle in the city ? That's what puts me off the most - the SUMO GOLD with a turning radius of 4.8 m is fantastic for that matter - should be easy to manoevre and park, although it is at the lowest end of this segment ! What are your experiences with the Endaevour ? How do you find driving / turning / parking in city ? How much extra wear results on the front tyres due to parking twists ?

The fact that pesky two wheelers and autos are kept at bay with a huge box is what is also tilting my decision in its favour. However, FE is where a sedan shines .. conflicting requirements, EH ? what FE does the endeavour give ? Is it worth daily drive to office (say 30 km in delhi) ?

Lastly, can you shed some light on the operating costs and upkeep costs of the endeavour ?
lifebuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 12:26   #356
BHPian

@lifebuoy, my Endy ownership thread is pretty detailed, and can be found at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-3-0l-4x4.html

In short, I love owing an SUV after more than a decade of owning some really good sedans (Ikon and Fiesta). Yes, the FE is low - I just about manage to get 7-8 kmpl of diesel in my Endy - but with the reduced cost of diesel, that's pretty much what I got with my sedans. Yes, it doesnt match a possible 15-20 kmpl advertised by some sedans, but then money isnt everything I have clocked close to 40,000 in less than 2 years, and almost half of that would be in crowded Pune, averaging 30-40 km a day.

Parking is sometimes a problem, you cannot squeeze in those tight spots. On the other hand, most malls and offices have adequate parking, and then, with an SUV you can always park off the road in places sedans would never dare venture. When stuck behind stalled traffic, the SUV can calmly get off road and dart ahead far beyond the problem areas - again something the sedans can only oggle at.

Rains, potholes, even the occasional fallen trees and rocks, are generally no problem for the Endy. Travelling frequently to Goa, this is something I care about deeply.

And finally, the pleasure of offroading, the ability to take 6-7 adults, or two families along...

If you can afford an SUV, go for it. Keep the sedan as your second car, for times when you miss darting in and out of traffic.

Last edited by siddheshb : 25th March 2012 at 12:29.
siddheshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 13:38   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
Thanks for the update. I am at crossroads as to buy a MUV/SUV or a sedan to upgrade from my Indica.
What FE does the endeavour give ? Is it worth daily drive to office (say 30 km in delhi) ?
Lastly, can you shed some light on the operating costs and upkeep costs of the endeavour ?
Since Siddesh has answered most of it, let me pitch in to complete your list.
You could expect around 10kmpl from a manual Endy in Delhi traffic and around 8-9kmpl on an AT.
In places like Delhi, road presence is one of the biggest reasons the Endy sells. You know the driving habits there.
I have a very close friend who has an Endy AT which I have used extensively and he swears by it too. The average service cost for every 10k kms is around 10k INR.

IMO, you could look for pre-owned Endys and finalise on a good example if you plan to buy an SUV. It is very well built, long lasting and pre-owned Endys come at reasonable prices too.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 13:48   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post

The fact that pesky two wheelers and autos are kept at bay with a huge box is what is also tilting my decision in its favour. However, FE is where a sedan shines .. conflicting requirements, EH ? what FE does the endeavour give ? Is it worth daily drive to office (say 30 km in delhi) ?

Do take some TDs of the Endy before putting your money on one. I have driven one and it really is huge. I have also seen people on many occasions struggling with parking. So analyse your usage pattern properly before buying it.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 15:23   #359
MCR
BHPian

I am thinking of upgrading to anything under 12 lakhs OTR. After a lot of research, shortlisted the following cars;

1. SUV / MUV :
1.1 Scorpio
1.2 Innova
1.3 New Xylo

2. Sedan :
2.1 Sunny
2.2 Rapid
2.3 Linea

I have had TD's of all the cars mentioned in the list above. But from what I have experienced, Sedan's have the ride comfort and handling which cannot be matched by the SUV's. But SUV's have the go-anywhere stance and an amazing road presence with additional passenger capacity . I have found that parking a Sedan / SUV can be both easy and difficult.
So I am still not really decided as yet. What I am now studying is my usage pattern and trying to zero-in on exactly what I want!

OT : While TDing the Linea 1.3 MJD, did not find it to be a real upgrade to Punto. The interiors are the same except the colour and leather seats. My wife asked me why I wanted to spend 11.25 Lakhs OTR for the same thing.
Wish Fiat had designed the ineriors of Linea different and had put in a more powerful engine! Also the TD car had some 1600 clicks on the ODO, but was absolutely sluggish. The gear changes were notchy and with Auto AC on full blast the car was not fun to drive with 3 people on board! Belted my Punto (above 2000rpm, for the turbo kick) for a good 30 minutes just to enjoy the push and get my mind off the TD car and the boring drive!

Last edited by MCR : 26th March 2012 at 15:25.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 16:10   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Do take some TDs of the Endy before putting your money on one. I have driven one and it really is huge. I have also seen people on many occasions struggling with parking. So analyse your usage pattern properly before buying it.
As an Endy owner, I'd like to +1 this. It is larger than it looks in pictures and has a large turning radius which makes parking difficult. I take 3 point turns in my office parking lot

Drivability in the city is not a problem, to me, but it took me a full 7 months of occasional driving in the city to get accustomed to it. It's actually a pleasure to drive this in the city after that "settling in" period.

The beast is a different machine on the highways and occasional offroading. You will not regret buying it. Be prepared to spend some money on replacement tyres to make the ride less stiffer.

Those were my 2p!!!
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote