Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th July 2012, 17:17   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

@apachelongbow
Well if you happen to have only one parking slot then a good sedan is the best compromise.

Although I would still want to have a heavy cast-iron box on 4 wheels as a daily drive in the maddening city traffic rather than a hatch! It would be mighty uncomfortable contraption but everyone, even the taxi and autowallahs would respect it! As of now, nobody, not even cyclists think anything of sedans/hatches. Only SUVs get some respect on roads here as I have observed. People routinely hit my side-view mirrors and dont even apologize for it!

Last edited by joslicx : 26th July 2012 at 17:19.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 19:33   #392
BHPian

After reading most of this thread,and reading about respect SUV 'S get and how sedans don't ....... well, a lot of it happens because people perceive a certain personality of a person driving a SUV.more assertive,more likely to pull out a gun,more likely to be easily pissed off!!!!!

A bit of exaggeration ,but you get my gist?
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 21:21   #393
BHPian

I started out as an SUV person, but over the past two decades have had a sort of a conversion Dont get me wrong, I still love 4x4s but only the true blue ones which are not driven at more than 30kmph and are not driven more than 30 km every day.

I started out as an out and out 4x4 guy. I have owned jeep wrangler MT 2.4 I4 , Chevy Silverado Z71 , Dodge Ram 1500 , Bolero 4x4 and Judo 4x4 .

But these days , I do not care about whether people on the road respect me or not, I want all the safety I can get at highway speeds. For the same mass and same length, a car is safer than a 4x4 . That's why I love my Innova and my (yet be brought home) Liva .

Since I have a lot of parking , I eventually plan to get a nice petrol sedan . May be a nice civic AT. Then my garage will be complete , A small car , a people mover and a fast and fun car. Plus a 4x4 at my farm :P.
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 21:36   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Yeti, somehow i feel is too small and with hardly any road presence. and will not meet my requirements.
I felt exactly the same when I first encountered the LittleBigFoot. Too small, fails the lateral golf bag test, can't take the dogs in it, blah blah blah...
However, I realized that 90% of the time it suits our basic requirements perfectly and in plush, safe, comfort. Hence I plonked the cash and bought it.

I moved from a crude break-your-spine Gypsy to a great big fat antediluvian monster the Bolero to an equally large fat and possibly less antediluvian elephant, the Scorpio. I guess the correct upgrade in terms of size would have been XUV if I had been on a tight leash (budget-wise), or if not, then a Captiva or a Fortuner or a Nissan X Trail. However, all these I considered either too big for my needs or too highly priced in India vis a vis their foreign pricing. The only one that almost made it was the X Trail but at almost 30 lacs OTR BLR for the top spec version, it was too much, especially because abroad, one can buy it for the equivalent of about 20 lacs!

From there to the stylish, classy and compact Yeti was a complete no brainer - and I bless the day I took that decision. The best decision I ever made on a vehicle. It is really worth it for the horrible roads we drive on and the horribly crowded cities we live in.

Gives one the best of both worlds. "Road Presence" be damned!

The new age compact crossover is definitely the way to the future in terms of practicality and comfort.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th July 2012 at 21:40.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 00:00   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Interesting Stat.
Whats the corresponding stat for Cross-overs?
Cheers!
Quote:
I felt exactly the same when I first encountered the LittleBigFoot. Too small, fails the lateral golf bag test, can't take the dogs in it, blah blah blah...
However, I realized that 90% of the time it suits our basic requirements perfectly and in plush, safe, comfort. Hence I plonked the cash and bought it.

I moved from a crude break-your-spine Gypsy to a great big fat antediluvian monster the Bolero to an equally large fat and possibly less antediluvian elephant, the Scorpio. I guess the correct upgrade in terms of size would have been XUV if I had been on a tight leash (budget-wise), or if not, then a Captiva or a Fortuner or a Nissan X Trail. However, all these I considered either too big for my needs or too highly priced in India vis a vis their foreign pricing. The only one that almost made it was the X Trail but at almost 30 lacs OTR BLR for the top spec version, it was too much, especially because abroad, one can buy it for the equivalent of about 20 lacs!

From there to the stylish, classy and compact Yeti was a complete no brainer - and I bless the day I took that decision. The best decision I ever made on a vehicle. It is really worth it for the horrible roads we drive on and the horribly crowded cities we live in.

Gives one the best of both worlds. "Road Presence" be damned!

The new age compact crossover is definitely the way to the future in terms of practicality and comfort.
I would definitely check the yeti.. but the reason i think it might just not meet my requirements is because i need a spacious comfortable highway cruiser which can also do a bit of off-roading. comfy highway cruiser with off road driving capabilities yeti may have in abundance but its definitely not as spacious. as i need a car in which 4-5 people can travel with some office bags and laptops in comfort and stress free and tirelessly in good safety. thats the prime reason i think the sedans may not do the job as well as SUV even though i absolutely love the new Jetta and the laura as well. even the fluence and the upcoming elantra looks really tempting. but i might have to go the SUV way. but i am happy as i also love the XUV. so not much of a problem there

though i will still check out the above mentioned sedans and yeti and TD them before putting my money on the table.

also today i felt the need for an SUV more than ever on the site as had to cover some distance of no-road which we covered in chevy cruze and scraped the bottom badly twice! almost got stuck once and had to move at a snails pace. though we might not need to face such situation more in future as the roads will soon take shape out there but felt the need of a car which can conquer any kind of path and do a bit of off-road action too. also the roads we usually travel were showing the effects of monsoon with pot-holes and craters forming here and there which i think is the situation every monsoon.

also a sedan is suited for highway travel where you are going to for sure travel just on road like say going to a distant suburb. not somewhere where you may have to face any kind of situation.

now i wish i make the right decision after the TD and not just go for a sedan just because of the sheer driving pleasure
magikrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 06:36   #396
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider

I would definitely check the yeti.. but the reason i think it might just not meet my requirements is because i need a spacious comfortable highway cruiser which can also do a bit of off-roading. comfy highway cruiser with off road driving capabilities
highway travel where you are going to for sure travel just on road like say going to a distant suburb. not somewhere where you may have to face any kind of situation.

now i wish i make the right decision after the TD and not just go for a sedan just because of the sheer driving pleasure
what about the Captiva?
Miles better than the XUVin every way.
Consider it!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 14:21   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what about the Captiva?
Consider it!

I agree with Shankar. was in the same dilemma last week, and ended up buying a Captiva- its one heck of a product- creamy and powerful engine, pulls like a locomotive, drives like a petrol, plush, comfy, and has amazing dynamics for an SUV
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 14:26   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what about the Captiva?
Consider it!
May be except handling. I have no experience with both but that's what I gather from various reviews.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 11:40   #399
BHPian

Quote:
what about the Captiva?
Consider it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I agree with Shankar. was in the same dilemma last week, and ended up buying a Captiva- its one heck of a product- creamy and powerful engine, pulls like a locomotive, drives like a petrol, plush, comfy, and has amazing dynamics for an SUV
I too like the captiva, though i haven't TD'ed it yet but it looks better in every way.. but its way over the budget!

as i had mentioned earlier... I checked and was told by a dealer that only 2011 model is available and with a discount of only 25000. would come upto 23L on road approx. other dealer said they are out of stock of the current model and will have to check and see if any is still available with the plant and the discount again only 35000 so again on-road price was quoted 23L approx! so way above my budget. the difference between XUV and Captiva is approx 8 lacs!

Himanshu, I don't know how the price difference is so much between the quote i got and the price at you got the car even though the cities are different. can you please give me a price break up if possible? also how does it compare against the XUV in terms of drivability, ride quality and turbo lag?

does anyone in mumbai know of a dealer who has a great deal on captiva?? will be really appreciated. thanks.

Last edited by magikrider : 28th July 2012 at 11:43.
Old 29th July 2012, 20:19   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
I too like the captiva, though i haven't TD'ed it yet but it looks better in every way.. but its way over the budget!

as i had mentioned earlier... I checked and was told by a dealer that only 2011 model is available and with a discount of only 25000. would come upto 23L on road approx. other dealer said they are out of stock of the current model and will have to check and see if any is still available with the plant and the discount again only 35000 so again on-road price was quoted 23L approx! so way above my budget. the difference between XUV and Captiva is approx 8 lacs!

Himanshu, I don't know how the price difference is so much between the quote i got and the price at you got the car even though the cities are different. can you please give me a price break up if possible? also how does it compare against the XUV in terms of drivability, ride quality and turbo lag?

does anyone in mumbai know of a dealer who has a great deal on captiva?? will be really appreciated. thanks.

Buddy, i really cant answer about the difference in teh discounts, all I know is that in NCR all dealers are offering 1-1.5L upfront and then you need to negotiate. It could also be that by now all teh stocks in the factory are either over or about to get over, hence they are not forthcoming with the discounts.

As regards the difference with the XUV, there really is no comparison. The only area where teh XUV scores is teh initial torque, but post 1500 RPM, teh captiva really fles. its all down to gearing and engine refinement. the interiors of teh captiva are in a totally different league, the fit and finish is no way comparable to teh XUV. Another area where teh Captiva anihilates teh XUV is teh braking ability. I was very disappointed with the XUV's brakes.....the Captiva's are the other end of the spectrum.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 01:22   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Buddy, i really cant answer about the difference in teh discounts, all I know is that in NCR all dealers are offering 1-1.5L upfront and then you need to negotiate. It could also be that by now all teh stocks in the factory are either over or about to get over, hence they are not forthcoming with the discounts.

As regards the difference with the XUV, there really is no comparison. The only area where teh XUV scores is teh initial torque, but post 1500 RPM, teh captiva really fles. its all down to gearing and engine refinement. the interiors of teh captiva are in a totally different league, the fit and finish is no way comparable to teh XUV. Another area where teh Captiva anihilates teh XUV is teh braking ability. I was very disappointed with the XUV's brakes.....the Captiva's are the other end of the spectrum.
actually the on-road price difference between NCR and mumbai is very big.

brakes must be good on captiva because even the cruze has really nice brakes, which i have driven so can guess that..

also read you thread... good decision buddy! enjoy your ride.

Last edited by magikrider : 30th July 2012 at 01:24.
Old 31st July 2012, 04:09   #402
BHPian

Since this is still the Sedan vs SUV thread I am putting another perspective that always swings the debate in favour of a tall SUV for me.

Buy a sedan if you want to enjoy the Tarmac.
Buy an SUV if you want to enjoy the country side.
Off Roadie is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 12:31   #403
Team-BHP Support

Posting this from the Duster thread. Another good example of Sedan vs SUV. Duster 85 vs Sunny 85 is a good comparison since you get to see same engine in a SUV as well as sedan.

The 85PS Duster RxL (O) variant costs Rs.10L ex-showroom. The Nissan Sunny with the exact same engine and the fully loaded XV variant costs Rs.9L ex-showroom. Being the fully loaded XV variant, the Sunny has climate control, start/stop button, true remote keyless entry, variable 5 speed intermittent wipers, boot release from key, height adjustable drivers seat and electrically foldable mirrors. These are just the features that the Sunny has over the Duster 85PS RxL (O). It also has way more legroom at the back and a bigger boot.

Since both cars have the same engine this makes it interesting that the sedan version has way more features and is a lakh lesser than the SUV.

Now one must ask, is the SUV looks and higher GC worth the extra lakh? If your looking for a car for city use and highway driving with not too much of bad roads, the Sunny makes way more sense than the Duster. You get a much better package in the Sunny for a lot lesser.

The initial hype is really interesting for a compact SUV considering the sedan version is a lakh lesser with a host of extra features. The Sunny is sheer VFM when you look at it.

So 1 lakh for 40mm of extra ground clearance. Is the Duster still a good choice if your not driving on bad roads everyday?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 1st August 2012 at 18:18. Reason: fixing typo....
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 15:14   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So 1 lakh for 40mm of extra ground clearance. Is the Duster still a good choice if your not driving on bad roads everyday?
No, not a good choice for most, but then, for the segment of people who think that the Duster looks better than the Sunny, it probably is.

Also, SUVs offer a higher seating position, making them convenient for elderly people, people with orthopedic issues and the such.

To me though,an SUV is good choice ONLY if it has AWD/4WD, or if the user wants SUV looks with 7 seats.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 00:58   #405
Senior - BHPian

While we're discussing how SUVs are better suited to our market owing to the 7 seats and high GC, ACI had an interesting article

The article highlighted how unsafe the third row of seats is in case of a rear impact as the occupants are only a few inches away from the rear windscreen or hatch.

Sedan would be safer thanks to the boot, and also some sedans which have a steel plate on the rear seat to prevent luggage entering the cabin in case of a rear impact.

It seemed relevant considering that buyers opt for MUV/SUV over a sedan as they need 7 seats.

Your thoughts on this please.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 4th August 2012 at 01:00.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote