Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2013, 00:29   #541
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,456
Thanked: 3,563 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

My parents who are still nearing 50 both have always felt it easier to get into the Innova than the sedans in our house. And hate to get into the Lancer. Both suffer from chronic knee pain and find it difficult to lower themselves into a sedan. At the same though dad also found climbing into the Fortuner a pain, may be because it is much higher than the Innova.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 06:33   #542
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,267
Thanked: 4,024 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

I love both sedans and SUVs. I had a Baleno and now an Esteem and a Bolero. For me it is courses for horses - I have the horses so I have to find the courses that suit them
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 07:35   #543
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 916 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

The age old debate ! But truthfully I like having both. Money no object I would actually not buy a sedan ever. My ideal garage would have a 911, a RR sport or Landcruiser and a small hatchback.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 12:12   #544
BHPian
 
DragonRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pune/Bokaro
Posts: 42
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The age old debate ! But truthfully I like having both. Money no object I would actually not buy a sedan ever. My ideal garage would have a 911, a RR sport or Landcruiser and a small hatchback.
I've got a Santro Xing for the city runs and have just bought a Safari Storme for my long distance needs. We can't run away from the fact that no matter how improved the roads (both city and highways) in our country are being claimed to be, we still have a long way to go. A feature rich low slung sedan definitely sounds appealing, but would have to be driven rather carefully given the grounds it'd be treading upon.

I think hatchbacks are the best fits for city conditions, they can handle broken roads and huge speed-breakers relatively better, given the short wheel-base, not to mention the advantage they provide in dealing with tight parking spots and narrow lanes. I sometimes feel that the Santro could be taken off-road, had it been equipped with a 4WD .
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 13:13   #545
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,109
Thanked: 984 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I've got a Santro Xing for the city runs and have just bought a Safari Storme for my long distance needs. We can't run away from the fact that no matter how improved the roads (both city and highways) in our country are being claimed to be, we still have a long way to go. A feature rich low slung sedan definitely sounds appealing, but would have to be driven rather carefully given the grounds it'd be treading upon.

I think hatchbacks are the best fits for city conditions, they can handle broken roads and huge speed-breakers relatively better, given the short wheel-base, not to mention the advantage they provide in dealing with tight parking spots and narrow lanes. I sometimes feel that the Santro could be taken off-road, had it been equipped with a 4WD .
I have no idea of Santro, but I have driven the M800 in practically all sorts of roads where larger saloons would get bogged down. My Alto K10 is just an upgrade of the M800 with better engine and better rear suspension. With a short wheel base, ligh weight and a narrower body the Alto rides over most obstacles that come my way and it is a hoot to park especially in crowded city lanes where other saloons can not fit in. In the hills I have seen Omni vans zipping around merrilly on steep hill paths with sharp turns where others can barely crawl. So if you do not need space a small light weight car may be a better bet compared to a large SUV.
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 14:33   #546
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 916 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
I sometimes feel that the Santro could be taken off-road, had it been equipped with a 4WD .
I must relate a hilarious incident during my Ladakh trip. We were a convoy of 22 Scorpio VLX 4x4s and as we encountered the massive traffic jam resulting from the landslides at Rohtang I could see many amongst the group were getting ready to shift into 4wd and had that smug expression of confidence that their cars would surpass any obstacle when to everyone's disbelief we see a tiny Nano chug along and pass us all effortlessly.

I just loved that sight and the resultant meekly taken decisions to go the way in 2 WD lol
DKG is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 15:48   #547
BHPian
 
gypsyFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore-Benglur
Posts: 320
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

We have all three in the family:

Diesel hatch - Ritz
Low slung sedan - Esteem
SUV - Scorpio 4wd

My parents always find it easy to get in and out of the Ritz and like Esteem for long straight smooth road. They are just worried about that.
But me and my brother who do all the driving prefer the Scorpio for long touring mainly because of
high GC for uneven roads
high seating
more power
road presence
more space for luggage and occupants
all family can go together.

We usually select the vehicle depending on the destination. For city driving it's Ritz or Esteem. Outstation trips, if road is good then Esteem for everything else it's Scorpio.
gypsyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 16:59   #548
Distinguished - BHPian
 
BlackPearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 2,267
Thanked: 4,024 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The age old debate ! But truthfully I like having both. Money no object I would actually not buy a sedan ever. My ideal garage would have a 911, a RR sport or Landcruiser and a small hatchback.
If money is no object then why the RR Sport and not the big daddy RR?
BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 17:04   #549
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Patna
Posts: 198
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I must relate a hilarious incident during my Ladakh trip. We were a convoy of 22 Scorpio VLX 4x4s and as we encountered the massive traffic jam resulting from the landslides at Rohtang I could see many amongst the group were getting ready to shift into 4wd and had that smug expression of confidence that their cars would surpass any obstacle when to everyone's disbelief we see a tiny Nano chug along and pass us all effortlessly. I just loved that sight and the resultant meekly taken decisions to go the way in 2 WD lol
I have also seen the Nano saucily chugging upto Gangtok. It's so light that it was taking roads washed away by landslides with such ease. It's another matter that you would want to be hit by anything while using it. I have heard insurance blokes complain that one slight hit from behind and the engine oil leaks out.
Carcrazy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 17:16   #550
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,314 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
In the hills I have seen Omni vans zipping around merrilly on steep hill paths with sharp turns where others can barely crawl. So if you do not need space a small light weight car may be a better bet compared to a large SUV.
Add one more characteristic. Short wheelbase with low front and rear overhangs. Rarely if ever gets stuck on rutted roads or 'beached' on big humps like those long cars with not-so-high GC!

A 'must-watch' for ideas on this car vs SUV debate is the Top Gear African Adventure which was aired in 2013.

Shows Jeremy, Richard and James hunting for the 'real' source of the Nile river in three old and hence cheap used cars; Volvo Estate, Beemer 5 Series Estate and a little Subaru WRC Impreza.

They drive through some really horrid roads in Africa and reading between the lines it is an interesting take on how one really doesn't absolutely have to have a big SUV bristling with an arsenal of technology and fiddlies to go where they went.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 17:47   #551
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,484
Thanked: 8,377 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
more space for luggage and occupants
all family can go together.
What is your parent's take for long distance journeys with the Scorpio? I have read some contrasting opinions on this topic. Many say, its not very comfortable for rear seat passengers from a "throwing-up" perspective. Hence was curios to know about your parent's view on this part. For me as a passenger, I found scorpio to be nice for straight roads, but it got me into motion sickness on 2-lanes (constant acceleration/deceleration) or curved roads. How ever that is my experience. Cant generalise it.

(Again Motion Sickness is per individual. I never feel motion sickness when I drive! As the focus is on the road).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 17:58   #552
Senior - BHPian
 
sourabhzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GURGAON
Posts: 1,536
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.


In the day before yesterday's rain at Gurgaon, two of my officemates cars got damaged from the underside on water clogged roads (They take these roads daily). My wife left her car and instead went with one of her friends in an i10. They also got stuck in a water clogged ditch; had to call a tractor from their site to pull them through. Total damage 12k.

I guess its better to have an SUV in places like Gurgaon. (And I hope the additional tax collected from SUV's sale will be used to construct roads)

Last edited by GTO : 15th October 2013 at 16:24. Reason: See Mod Note in your post
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 18:16   #553
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,484
Thanked: 8,377 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I guess its better to have an SUV in places like Gurgaon. (And I hope the additional tax collected from SUV's sale will be used to construct roads)
I think once the sub-4m X-overs come on to seen (Maruti/Hyundai etc), that make for an ideal city vehicle. Any flavour petrol or diesel. High seating, high GC, small foot print would make it perfect for the city. In my opinion even if they are not heavily built like the Ecosport it should be fine. Because mainly they would targeted for the city commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
Well, it's a different direction all together. They find it comfortable because one of them get's to sleep
I have modified the last row such that it is a L shaped seats, with longer part being towards the back.
My father was suffering from health issue and could not sit for long distances. Hence we made a kind of bed for him in the last row/second row (if he needed the heater).
My mother's ankle used to get swollen after a long journey in hatch or sedan, but in Scorpio, she can keep them on the seat which would be at the same height as her knee and hence no swelling.
Having elder's in the last row meant that as drivers, we need to extra cautious.
As said earlier, major gripe from them was getting in and out as they had to climb up.
Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to understand. Leg room and wide space any day is good.


Quote:
All these things contribute to make the Scorpio stick to the ground and not bounce on uneven roads.
This was my only problem. Because anything with frequent rate changes I had issues. As long as it does not bounce/rock, perfect!

Last edited by ampere : 13th October 2013 at 18:22.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 18:16   #554
BHPian
 
gypsyFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mysore-Benglur
Posts: 320
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What is your parent's take for long distance journeys with the Scorpio? I have read some contrasting opinions on this topic. Many say, its not very comfortable for rear seat passengers from a "throwing-up" perspective. Hence was curios to know about your parent's view on this part. For me as a passenger, I found scorpio to be nice for straight roads, but it got me into motion sickness on 2-lanes (constant acceleration/deceleration) or curved roads. How ever that is my experience. Cant generalise it.

(Again Motion Sickness is per individual. I never feel motion sickness when I drive! As the focus is on the road).
Well, it's a different direction all together. They find it comfortable because one of them get's to sleep
I have modified the last row such that it is a L shaped seats, with longer part being towards the back.
My father was suffering from health issue and could not sit for long distances. Hence we made a kind of bed for him in the last row/second row (if he needed the heater).
My mother's ankle used to get swollen after a long journey in hatch or sedan, but in Scorpio, she can keep them on the seat which would be at the same height as her knee and hence no swelling.
Having elder's in the last row meant that as drivers, we need to extra cautious.
As said earlier, major gripe from them was getting in and out as they had to climb up.

Another reason for their comfort could be
- slightly wider profile tyres (8j alloys)
- front torsion bar (4wd)
- always fully loaded (6 adults + 1 kid + luggage on roof)
All these things contribute to make the Scorpio stick to the ground and not bounce on uneven roads.

What i feel is if you have money you can go whatever lengths possible to make yourself comfortable like buy a very high end sedan, SUV with buttery suspension or buy a regular vehicle and modify to fit your preferences and comfort and live with it. It grows on you after some time.
My idea for getting a Scorpio 4wd was totally different. I like playing with it to make it true multipurpose vehicle (offroading, touring, cruising, visit our farm ...).
I am even planning to buy a RV and use the Scorpio to haul it around entire India. No worries on comfort then.

Hope this helps .

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th October 2013 at 01:26. Reason: Extra smiley removed.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 23:28   #555
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 916 Times
Default Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
If money is no object then why the RR Sport and not the big daddy RR?
I haven't driven the Vogue so don't know about its feel, but the Sport I really liked. It felt nimble, not ponderous, and special.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The great Cholesterol debate: Is it good or bad for you? alpha1 Shifting gears 52 14th March 2015 21:35
A real dilemma New Big Sedan + Old SUV or New SUV + new small sedan adithyav What Car? 32 5th August 2009 07:32
Why should I buy a sedan? kkdelhi Sedans 46 29th February 2008 13:09
Definitive FE Poll venkatrx The Indian Car Scene 113 29th May 2006 22:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks