Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd September 2011, 22:13   #511
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

^^ + 1.

I too feel the same. The rear seats are extremely close to the boot door which is all glass and the c-pillars are rather thin.
While sudden braking with a HTV behind may me disastrous for any car, this car might post more threat for the rear passengers.

Just my feeling. Hope i am proved wrong.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:03   #512
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvssudheer View Post
A website predicts base (E) version will not have air bags and ABS, S will have only air bags and V will have both air bags and ABS. Also the prices predicted by them are E-4,50,000 S-5,00,000 V-5,50,000.

I think they got it all wrong because Honda will not offer Brio with air bags and ABS at the price of Jazz with air bags and ABS (only without alloys). If the base version does not have air bags and ABS, it will definitely be under 4 lakhs Ex-showroom IMO.

Honda Brio E, Review, Price, Honda Cars India, Comparison, Images, Variants
What I believe is that Honda will provide safety features across all variants of the Brio. Airbags and ABS will be standard fitment, I reckon. Or rather, I hope. But then going by the last 5 years, I've noticed that Honda doesn't compromise on safety. They'd like to keep them as internationally-spec'ed as possible.

I might be wrong. I hope I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Guys, I agree to your point. That all the modern cars have a crumple zone with it. In fact even I was advocting this fact when people brought this up during the Figo's front portion etc.

But the reason I pointed out specifically for Brio is because of one particular observation. If you see the pictures of the back seat. If any person with 6" hieght sits in the rear seat then according to what I see, there will be hardly 15 cms between his head and the rear glass.

Now I do agree with the concept of crumple zone. But that would apply only when there is significant distance between the rear passenger and the first point of impact.

If you see in Brio the crumple zone in this car is actually the meaty rear bumper, but if there is a vehicle which can result in impact above the rear bumper (typically volvo busses / commercial Lorries) then the crumple zone of 15cms is as good as non-existant. Again, I am resting my argument only based on videos and pics I am seeing.

I am not saying you are wrong, I am just putting my point across. Which might be wrong even.
the fact that
Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
^^ + 1.

I too feel the same. The rear seats are extremely close to the boot door which is all glass and the c-pillars are rather thin.
While sudden braking with a HTV behind may me disastrous for any car, this car might post more threat for the rear passengers.

This is why Honda, and other companies, extensively test their cars in the most harsh conditions. They are put through several tests and I'm sure the Brio fared well in the Euro-NCAP safety tests. I'm not able to find any material on that though.

What you say, in the most practical sense, is quite true.

The smaller the give, the more the pain. The space between the rear glass-area and the rear passenger is very little. I'm not sure how the Brio would fare should it be rear-ended by something large, like a truck or a bus. Hopefully, the rear bumper should take most of the impact. The rear glass, I'm guessing, is shatter-proof, much like the front windshield, so it wouldn't splatter all over the place.

Also, I don't think the styling has much to do with the actual size of the pillar. Many cars have thin pillars with thin cores that are wrapped around by think body-work that gives one an impression that the pillar is large and can absorb impact. In all probability, most cars come with slim pillars and the body-work around it that are actually capable of absorbing the impact much better than it is perceived to be.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2011 at 23:10.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:09   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvssudheer View Post
A website predicts base (E) version will not have air bags and ABS, S will have only air bags and V will have both air bags and ABS. Also the prices predicted by them are E-4,50,000 S-5,00,000 V-5,50,000.

I think they got it all wrong because Honda will not offer Brio with air bags and ABS at the price of Jazz with air bags and ABS (only without alloys). If the base version does not have air bags and ABS, it will definitely be under 4 lakhs Ex-showroom IMO.

Honda Brio E, Review, Price, Honda Cars India, Comparison, Images, Variants
The official Team-BHP review of the Honda Brio will be up shortly, so that will clear all doubts.

Plus, maxabout.com is a very unreliable site when it comes to info about new launches.

Motorbeam & IAB both report this -

Quote:
Features as per Variants
  • Top Variant ‘V’ comes with twin airbags, ABS, Alloy wheels, fog lamps, four power windows, central locking, Music player with USB and AUX, steering controls, electronically adjustable ORVM’s, etc.
  • ‘S’ variant does not have alloy wheels, fog lamps and has different seat trims design.
  • Two more variants expected below S, most probably called the ‘E’ which will be the ‘S’ minus airbags and ABS.
http://indianautosblog.com/2011/09/h...o-india-launch

Honda Brio Test Drive Review | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

That sounds very plausible, if Honda is thinking of pricing the base variant of the Brio at 3.9L. If at all safety features are included in the Base, it should push the price towards 4.2-4.3L territory.

The top variant, V, should ideally be priced at 4.9L to take on the competition head-on, but Honda might extend it to around 5.2L for that special premium Honda price, and still keep the Brio and the Jazz at some distance of each other. Either way, they would not want the OTR of the Brio to extend beyond 5.9L in any Indian state.

My suggestion - wait a wee bit more for our T-BHP review.

I am sure GTO will cover all points and clear all doubts posted in this thread in his superb review of the Brio.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 3rd September 2011 at 23:12.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:25   #514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
That sounds very plausible, if Honda is thinking of pricing the base variant of the Brio at 3.9L. If at all safety features are included in the Base, it should push the price towards 4.2-4.3L territory.

The top variant, V, should ideally be priced at 4.9L to take on the competition head-on, but Honda might extend it to around 5.2L for that special premium Honda price, and still keep the Brio and the Jazz at some distance of each other. Either way, they would not want the OTR of the Brio to extend beyond 5.9L in any Indian state.

My suggestion - wait a wee bit more for our T-BHP review.

I am sure GTO will cover all points and clear all doubts posted in this thread in his superb review of the Brio.
I like the sound of that. Perhaps the 'E' variant is the only sore point. Honda should have just the 'S' and the 'V', both with airbags and ABS as standard kit. But looking at it in a business perspective, I guess it would make sense to introduce the 'E' variant (the 'S' without airbags and ABS) since most people don't care about such features and would rather be without it and pocket 50k at the same time.

Well, nothing wrong by Honda. The companies are market-driven, after all.

It's up to people in our country to realize that you can't put a price on safety.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:36   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

What you say, in the most practical sense, is quite true.

The space between the rear glass-area and the rear passenger is very little.
This is exactly my concern. The space between the rear passenger and boot door is the least among all the newly launched cars. To top it, its all glass and nothing in between. In case of a mishap, the rear passengers will certainly be at risk. Something to watch out for.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:55   #516
BHPian

Quote:
This is exactly my concern. The space between the rear passenger and boot door is the least among all the newly launched cars. To top it, its all glass and nothing in between. In case of a mishap, the rear passengers will certainly be at risk. Something to watch out for.
If possible someone can suggest the official reviewer from Team BHP to touch upon this issue in the review; even better if they could ask Honda personnel projecting it as the main concern of some potential buyers.
Old 4th September 2011, 01:47   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am no automotive engineer, but frankly what bothers me is the c-pillar looks too thin for a 1.2 ltr engine car.

Imagine if the car going at 120kmph breaks suddenly then chances are a rear end collision with a bus might be very disastrous. I have circled the point that I am mentioning.
Quote:
Guys, I agree to your point. That all the modern cars have a crumple zone with it. In fact even I was advocting this fact when people brought this up during the Figo's front portion etc.
Quote:
^^ + 1.

Quote:
C'mon guys, we were all too worried about the rear glass hatch till we saw the review, weren't we ?! Would not have HONDA thought about the issues which you guys have mentioned? I am sure they have done enough testing & probably crash testing as well and they would have thought about it even while designing I guess. I believe this would have been taken care of, especially since this is a "made for India" model.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th September 2011 at 01:49.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 02:52   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
+1.

If at all anything, I think the rear headrests (or the lack of it) is an even bigger danger in such a circumstance, due to whiplash injuries. Too bad Honda skipped on such a basic thing when they are providing ABS even on the 'S' version.

But, an overall brilliant package from Honda. Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota and other players better be ready! IMO, i10 will take the biggest hit due to the Honda pricing, the similar feel of the cabin, Honda brand value and the lack of a diesel engine.
One of the reasons that i thought went agains the LIVA when i compared it to the Jazz was the lack of rear headrests. It also makes the rear passengers really uncomfortable during long drives
Old 4th September 2011, 08:09   #519
Senior - BHPian

Test drive of honda brio

Honda Brio First Drive - Brio-logy - CarWale
Old 4th September 2011, 12:27   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the test drive on the Autocar show. Cannot wait for the auto!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 12:36   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The auto-tranny on the Brio would make so much sense. Especially since the car would be predominantly used within city-limits. In fact, even the Jazz would be an even tastier prospect if it had an auto-tranny option.

I wonder why Honda has decided to omit these essential variants.

Take a look at the success of the i10 and i20 auto-variants.
Old 4th September 2011, 12:54   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I agree. A lot of folks I know are looking for a small premium auto car. As of now, they have to make do with an i10 auto.

If the interiors are better than the i10 and the running cost is low, an automatic Brio would seriously dent i10 auto sales.

Low running cost, reliability and the promise of low cost servicing (as has generally been the case with Honda India) will give serious competition to the i10 auto. Add to that, a premium feel and honda badging would make it a clear winner.
Old 4th September 2011, 17:37   #523
Senior - BHPian

Agree,Honda can aim straight for the second-car-in-the-family-market with an auto,although that would push the price of the auto version to jazz levels.

But with rising petrol prices i guess even Honda is circumspect about launching a high priced auto variant.
Old 4th September 2011, 20:39   #524
BHPian

Given the plethora of choices that are now available, i feel that the leader will be the car that balances the appeal between heart and mind best. Brio seems to have the ammunition to trump the Liva though the Swift may still race to the finishing line. Interesting times for us consumers....
Old 5th September 2011, 09:52   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

The reviewers on Overdrive and Car & bike Shows were also almost reverential. Now the crux will be the pricing. I hear that Jazz has revived with a three month backlog! So it is all a matter of pricing.

I also heard that the engine on the Brio has be tuned to meet its requirements, so is somewhat different (I guess in the ECU) than the Jazz.

@avishar; The price of the AT should be about 80-100k more than the MT. Going by the old practice it is generally to 2nd from Top model which gets the AT. However, the demand must be there as Hyundai has launched the AT on many variants of the i10.

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th September 2011 at 09:57.
Closed Thread