Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 11:06   #526
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,651
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Here's a link on economic times, detailing the design philosophy for the Brio.
It also says that Brio has passed the Japanese Crash Test, which is even tougher than the Euro norms.
Honda Brio: First Drive - pictures - Pictures/Videos - News in Pictures | Economic Times

So looks like a pretty good, sturdy and safe hatch to me.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 11:40   #527
BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Here's a link on economic times, detailing the design philosophy for the Brio.
It also says that Brio has passed the Japanese Crash Test, which is even tougher than the Euro norms.
Honda Brio: First Drive - pictures - Pictures/Videos - News in Pictures | Economic Times

So looks like a pretty good, sturdy and safe hatch to me.
Thank much - thats puts all apprehensions to rest!

Although I knew for sure that Honda is not stupid..

Coming back to the car as such, isnt the boot super-small? A la A-star?
Which segment (A or B) does Brio belong to? Cant be B+ as they have Jazz fitting perfectly there.
Assuming Astar is also A segment, the Brio should belong there I felt.
Equus is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 11:42   #528
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 74
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

So Honda might surprise us with another first move in its history though I wish that they should not. This will again make put some dent in image of badge H atleast in the existing customers. However if they can price it correct they surely have a winner

Honda plans to make safety an option for Brio - The Economic Times
<Badguy> is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 13:12   #529
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 80
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

If the mid variant which has air bags and ABS costs above 4.7-4.8 Ex showroom, I think it makes sense to stretch the budget and get the base version of Jazz with all the safety features.

Last edited by nvssudheer : 5th September 2011 at 13:17. Reason: Typed alloys instead of ABS
nvssudheer is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 13:24   #530
BHPian
 
lavish_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BLR
Posts: 81
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
One of the reasons that i thought went agains the LIVA when i compared it to the Jazz was the lack of rear headrests. It also makes the rear passengers really uncomfortable during long drives
Wonder why would people use a car like Brio meant purely for within city driving for long drives?
lavish_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 13:29   #531
BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

If Honda are clever, they will make the safety features optional on all Brio variants
Equus is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 13:36   #532
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
Wonder why would people use a car like Brio meant purely for within city driving for long drives?
The same reason why you'd still find a Maruti 800 on a highway. Not everyone in India can afford a car that is suitable for highway driving. For them, if it has 4 wheels and an engine, they will drive it on the highway. Dynamics be damned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
If Honda are clever, they will make the safety features optional on all Brio variants
If Honda are really clever, they should make the safety-kit optional on the base variant and standard across the rest of the variants.

Looks like the pressure of pricing it right got to Honda. It's very hard to get a car that doesn't cost much, and is kitted with adequate safety features, in India.

Never thought Honda would compromise on safety. I'm a little disappointed. Safety is never an 'option'.

If I were the chairman of the Indian auto-industry, I would make it mandatory for all cars to be fitted with a minimum of 2 airbags, and ABS on all variants. You should NEVER put a price on safety.
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 14:09   #533
BHPian
 
lavish_n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BLR
Posts: 81
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The same reason why you'd still find a Maruti 800 on a highway. Not everyone in India can afford a car that is suitable for highway driving. For them, if it has 4 wheels and an engine, they will drive it on the highway. Dynamics be damned!
IMO, such people should not be choosy about backseat comfort, boot space etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

If Honda are really clever, they should make the safety-kit optional on the base variant and standard across the rest of the variants.

If I were the chairman of the Indian auto-industry, I would make it mandatory for all cars to be fitted with a minimum of 2 airbags, and ABS on all variants. You should NEVER put a price on safety.
I personally would support that, however not all think likewise.
For a city like BLR with bumper2bumper traffic & average speed is around 25~30Km/Hr, if you give a choice of optional airbags & ABS, there would be lot of takers.
lavish_n is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 14:18   #534
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
IMO, such people should not be choosy about backseat comfort, boot space etc.
True.

But they are. And this is exactly why we have a huge market for entry-level sedans like the Logan, the Dzire and the Etios. People expect the moon, but don't want to get charged the Earth for it, if you know what I mean!

They want the boot, they want the back seat and they want the diesel engine, all at throw away prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
I personally would support that, however not all think likewise.
For a city like BLR with bumper2bumper traffic & average speed is around 25~30Km/Hr, if you give a choice of optional airbags & ABS, there would be lot of takers.
I don't think speed has anything to do with safety features. Airbags will come in handy, even if you're stationary, and you get hit by something from the front, or the back. ABS ensures the wheels don't lock up. Locking up may happen when one is doing speeds as low as 20 km/h, especially in the wet.

People in India underestimate the value of safety features. That's precisely the reason why the companies put a price on safety.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 14:37   #535
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

I don't see anything wrong in Honda not giving ABS & air bags in its base variants. Is there any manufacturer in that segment who does so? Doubt it very much. However this will allow Honda to control prices and at last launch a car which a commoner can afford. The H badge is definitely more attractive to many people just like the T badge. IMO the Liva has some serious competition from this car & to me it looks way better and am sure (on paper at least) will drive also much better than the Liva. Lets see what pricing does H come out with?
Maverick1977 is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 14:54   #536
BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I don't see anything wrong in Honda not giving ABS & air bags in its base variants. Is there any manufacturer in that segment who does so? Doubt it very much. However this will allow Honda to control prices and at last launch a car which a commoner can afford. The H badge is definitely more attractive to many people just like the T badge. IMO the Liva has some serious competition from this car & to me it looks way better and am sure (on paper at least) will drive also much better than the Liva. Lets see what pricing does H come out with?
Well, atleast there are a couple - Micra & Fabia.
Micra starts at just under 4-lakhs and has driver-side airbag as default.
Fabia also - starts at 4.3lakhs (now discounted at 3.99L)
There are tons of folks who still believe they doesnt need these. Why loose out on that customer base?

Having said that, I am all for it. These are real signs of a true "developing" nation!!
Equus is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 15:00   #537
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune / Mumbai
Posts: 111
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
Wonder why would people use a car like Brio meant purely for within city driving for long drives?
Case in point - Mumbai - Pune travel. Not necessarily a very long drive, but duration long enough to cause enough pain for the person seating behind.
freak1201 is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 15:10   #538
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune / Mumbai
Posts: 111
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
True.

But they are. And this is exactly why we have a huge market for entry-level sedans like the Logan, the Dzire and the Etios.
================
People in India underestimate the value of safety features. That's precisely the reason why the companies put a price on safety.

Isnt this ironic? If they can manage Airbags +ABS & EBD in their price, how much are 2 headrests going to cost?
freak1201 is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 15:27   #539
BHPian
 
Maverick1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 832
Thanked: 249 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Well, atleast there are a couple - Micra & Fabia.
Micra starts at just under 4-lakhs and has driver-side airbag as default.
Fabia also - starts at 4.3lakhs (now discounted at 3.99L)
There are tons of folks who still believe they doesnt need these. Why loose out on that customer base?

Having said that, I am all for it. These are real signs of a true "developing" nation!!
I recalled whilst typing that post that both the Fabia and Micra provide a driver's side air bag in their cars. Of course the most surprising fact is that the elder sibling of Fabia, the Polo, does not even bother to offer that.
However I feel that ABS plays a even more important role given the nature of our roads & its users especially on the highways. It would be great if all manuf. actually give that as standard across all variants.
Maverick1977 is offline  
Old 5th September 2011, 15:32   #540
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,054
Thanked: 6,601 Times
Default Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak1201 View Post
Isnt this ironic? If they can manage Airbags +ABS & EBD in their price, how much are 2 headrests going to cost?
I'm going to look like an idiot if I defend Honda's move on this one.

And that's precisely why I'm not going to defend them.

WTH Honda? Why omit something like head-restraints when you can include ABS and Airbags.

Do you think this has something to do with cost-cutting? Or was the Brio's rear seat designed without head-restraints?

The only reason I can think of is, people buy super-minis like the Brio and the A-Star not to ferry 4 people all the time. Such cars are aimed at customers who are single, young, unmarried, etc. People who generally don't use or require the rear seats. This is the trend in most developed markets.

But this is, ahem, India. The same place where some guy squeezed in 18 odd people in a Maruti 800.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*SCOOP* Honda Brio DIESEL caught. EDIT: Only for next-gen Brio in 2017 kpzen The Indian Car Scene 377 6th September 2015 02:55
Stig gets Brio'ed! Red Honda Brio SMT (O) adityasiera Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 16th March 2015 19:23
Scoop! VW Polo TSI spotted testing in India *UPDATE* Fresh Scoop pics on Pg.15 sarthakgupta The Indian Car Scene 441 25th April 2013 12:26
Scoop pics : Small unknown concept under cover *Update* It's the Tata Indica Vista sidindica The Indian Car Scene 36 6th January 2012 23:05
SCOOP !! Ford's new small car for India (with Spy Pics). Update launched now Figo! benbsb29 The Indian Car Scene 258 24th September 2009 11:14


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks