Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 20:06   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 36,863
Thanked: 29,986 Times
Default Mahindra launches the Logan CNG

Talk about timing your move...Mahindra launches the Logan CNG - obviously aimed at the taxi market - hours after the introduction of the Toyota Etios. It's an accepted fact that the base versions of the Etios will prove popular with the taxi market, the same taxi segment that makes up for a large number of existing Logan sales.

Mahindra sure seems to be doing it better when alone. Ever since their divorce with Renault, Logan sales have doubled M-O-M (compared to 2009), even crossing a 1000 in the recent past. The sheer sales performance is still poor by C segment standards, yet Mahindra is doing whatever it can to revive a product once considered dead.

High Points:

- Mahindra announces CNG kits for the 1.4 GLE/GLX versions and is currently available in Mumbai and Delhi.

- The company fitted kits cost Rs 56,000. They are equipped with a 12 kg capacity cylinder, of which actual consumable gas that can be filled is 9.5 kg.

- The Logan CNG gives a consistent mileage of 15-20 kms per kg, thus costing the customer only Rs. 1.62-2.26 per km, as against Rs. 3.93 - 6.11/km on petrol.

- The new CNG kits are made by Landi Renzo (Italy) and will be supplied & fitted by Logicon Alternate Fuels Pvt. Ltd.

- Vehicle warranty of 2yrs / 50000 kms.

Last edited by GTO : 1st December 2010 at 20:07.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1st December 2010, 20:24   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,336
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Wow thats good news what is the likely OTR price for this variant?


Atleast now we can see some decent taxis in india.Bad news is that CNG will not be a hit in southern india
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 20:26   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 2,717
Thanked: 909 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Talk about timing your move...Mahindra launches the Logan CNG - obviously aimed at the taxi market - hours after the introduction of the Toyota Etios. It's an accepted fact that the base versions of the Etios will prove popular with the taxi market, the same taxi segment that makes up for a large number of existing Logan sales.

Mahindra sure seems to be doing it better when alone. Ever since their divorce with Renault, Logan sales have doubled M-O-M (compared to 2009), even crossing a 1000 in the recent past. The sheer sales performance is still poor by C segment standards, yet Mahindra is doing whatever it can to revive a product once considered dead.

High Points:

- Mahindra announces CNG kits for the 1.4 GLE/GLX versions and is currently available in Mumbai and Delhi.

- The company fitted kits cost Rs 56,000. They are equipped with a 12 kg capacity cylinder, of which actual consumable gas that can be filled is 9.5 kg.

- The Logan CNG gives a consistent mileage of 15-20 kms per kg, thus costing the customer only Rs. 1.62-2.26 per km, as against Rs. 3.93 - 6.11/km on petrol.

- The new CNG kits are made by Landi Renzo (Italy) and will be supplied & fitted by Logicon Alternate Fuels Pvt. Ltd.

- Vehicle warranty of 2yrs / 50000 kms.
Sans the Renault tag, is Mahindra keeping Logan exactly how it was earlier?
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 20:34   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
sidindica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: India
Posts: 4,549
Thanked: 2,099 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Talk about timing your move...Mahindra launches the Logan CNG - obviously aimed at the taxi market - hours after the introduction of the Toyota Etios. It's an accepted fact that the base versions of the Etios will prove popular with the taxi market, the same taxi segment that makes up for a large number of existing Logan sales.

Mahindra sure seems to be doing it better when alone. Ever since their divorce with Renault, Logan sales have doubled M-O-M (compared to 2009), even crossing a 1000 in the recent past. The sheer sales performance is still poor by C segment standards, yet Mahindra is doing whatever it can to revive a product once considered dead.

High Points:

- Mahindra announces CNG kits for the 1.4 GLE/GLX versions and is currently available in Mumbai and Delhi.

- The company fitted kits cost Rs 56,000. They are equipped with a 12 kg capacity cylinder, of which actual consumable gas that can be filled is 9.5 kg.

- The Logan CNG gives a consistent mileage of 15-20 kms per kg, thus costing the customer only Rs. 1.62-2.26 per km, as against Rs. 3.93 - 6.11/km on petrol.

- The new CNG kits are made by Landi Renzo (Italy) and will be supplied & fitted by Logicon Alternate Fuels Pvt. Ltd.

- Vehicle warranty of 2yrs / 50000 kms.
IS it a launch or a re-launch? AFAIK the logan already had a CNG option in Delhi NCR as early as 2008. I even had a brochure claiming it to lower your running costs to as low as 1.58 rupees per KM.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 20:53   #5
AWD
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Drivers seat
Posts: 604
Thanked: 87 Times
Default

This should have come with an updated Logan, the current one has lost all the charm(it had little only)!

On another note, its a pity that some Cities still do not have CNG supply.
AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 21:06   #6
SAS
BHPian
 
SAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 280
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Is it just a company fitted kit or have they really made a good cng product like those from the Chevrolet and Maruti stables? Ideally they should have hardened the valve seats in the engines and bolstered the suspension to take the additional load. If Mahindra has not done at least these basic checks then the "kit" is pretty much useless against the Aveo CNG and the SX4 CNG. The Logan CNG shall then only be relegated to the taxi market, and even then taxi operators would prefer doing an after market installation for half the price at just Rs. 28k instead of shelling out Rs. 56k for this kit.. Let's wait and watch.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:37   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 36,863
Thanked: 29,986 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
what is the likely OTR price for this variant?
56K more than for the regular 1.4s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Sans the Renault tag, is Mahindra keeping Logan exactly how it was earlier?
For now, yes. However, a cheaper sub-4-meter-long Logan is expected real soon. Search the forum for scoop pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
AFAIK the logan already had a CNG option in Delhi NCR as early as 2008.
Maybe that was a dealer ad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Maruti stables?
I think the sequential kits from Maruti are definitely a generation ahead when it comes to CNG technology.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:34   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
theMAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 6,648
Thanked: 752 Times
Default

Nice move - will go down well with the city cabs particularly. Most of the MERU cabs here are Logans - which has me wondering - how feasible/safe is it for these CNG/LPG Logans to have their boots filled with luggage now?
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 19:44   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 2,717
Thanked: 909 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Nice move - will go down well with the city cabs particularly. Most of the MERU cabs here are Logans - which has me wondering - how feasible/safe is it for these CNG/LPG Logans to have their boots filled with luggage now?
Even all Easy cabs are Logans..

Probably now, they will have overhead luggage provision so doubt how that will work out in rains..

With the LPG kits in Logans, big bags would be quite a problem to fit in.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 21:30   #10
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago/ Bombay
Posts: 307
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Disappointing that Mahindra didn't step up and factory install these kits. The Logan will now join the Corolla, Optra and a host of other cars that are "retrofitted" with CNG fuel componentry.

Maruti CNG cars are still the best, most sensible and well finished CNG products on the market.
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:30   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 626
Thanked: 97 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Disappointing that Mahindra didn't step up and factory install these kits. The Logan will now join the Corolla, Optra and a host of other cars that are "retrofitted" with CNG fuel componentry.

Maruti CNG cars are still the best, most sensible and well finished CNG products on the market.
Business is something else? Who cares about environment and public????
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2010, 23:38   #12
BHPian
 
johnjojo08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 93
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Logan CNG is equipped with sequential CNG kit. Maruthi is also giving sequential kit in K series engines. Earier maruthi was giving only normal kits(venturi tyre) in LPG..

The good thing about sequential kit is we can convert the system betwen LPG and CNG by changing only the LPG/CNG tank..

My ford ikon 1.6 is running with sequential LPG kit(STAG 200 - AC Spů?ka Akcyjna - Autogas, LPG, autoparts). It is really a nice kit .. No issues so far.. It cost me just 35k for me.. Earlier my car was running with venturi tyre kit(Open loop), it gave me lot of trouble like backfire, starting problem, ECU memory issues and lot of other issues.. But sequential kits are generation ahead of it..

Last edited by johnjojo08 : 2nd December 2010 at 23:42.
johnjojo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:18   #13
Team-BHP Support
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,193
Thanked: 1,376 Times
Default

They should really offer the 1.6 option. Will make up for the power loss of CNG and be a more complete car.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 00:51   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Purnea(Bihar)
Posts: 3,173
Thanked: 1,780 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Mahindra sure seems to be doing it better when alone. Ever since their divorce with Renault, Logan sales have doubled M-O-M (compared to 2009), even crossing a 1000 in the recent past. The sheer sales performance is still poor by C segment standards, yet Mahindra is doing whatever it can to revive a product once considered dead.
Mahindra IS billing the Logan to its dealers, whether you opt for it or not and how long can a dealer not sell a product which is lying in its stock-yard?

One of the major reason for Logan's spike in sales. I am impressed by the Car's build and ride, but then most good things end there, sadly.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:20   #15
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago/ Bombay
Posts: 307
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjojo08 View Post
Logan CNG is equipped with sequential CNG kit. Maruthi is also giving sequential kit in K series engines. Earier maruthi was giving only normal kits(venturi tyre) in LPG

Yes, but the key difference here is the factory installation, which basically means better integration, Quality control and product testing. All of these are absent when installed at the Dealer.

I know this because I have an Optra 1.6 CNG, officially installed by GM Engineers at their dealership.
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra goes solo with the Logan. Renault exits Mahindra-Renault JV GTO The Indian Car Scene 163 30th April 2012 15:15
Mahindra Renault Logan In Oman - 23 people stuffed inside 1 Logan serpente The Indian Car Scene 34 19th April 2010 19:03
Mahindra-Renault to launch CNG, LPG 'Logan' notjustshrawan The Indian Car Scene 5 28th April 2008 09:46
Mahindra launches two new variants of Logan rahul_intlad The Indian Car Scene 11 28th June 2007 11:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:50.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks