Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2010, 12:58   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
Aussie,
In your blog
There are three Pos (position) for two sales figures.. needs some correction. for .e.g there is jump from 4 to 6 in without indication of 5... and so on..
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
the 5th one is indica which has sold total units in 2010 more than the 6th position. In Nov month it shouldn't be 5th. he has made a mistake there. But the 5th one for 2010 is alright.
Hi Kumaravel, Chevelle,
Thanks very much for picking this up.
The 2nd 'Pos' column was meant to refer to October positions, I have corrected now. And for 2010 numbers I have added the figures published on team-bhp since January.
Old 6th December 2010, 13:22   #152
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
i think one of the main issues why its not a hit is just because the nano is not easily available like it was supposed to be. The waiting periods turn most people away and the fire incidents are not necessarily helping the cause.
It isn't so here in North India. Most dealerships have stockyards full of cars, with no takers for them. Check out your local dealership, you might get a surprise. Some dealerships even have cars which were manufactured more than 6 months ago.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:03   #153
Senior - BHPian

Default My perspective - (as a nano owner)

Enough has been said about the boot, NVH, diesel pot, etc etc. I thought of sharing a different perspective.

Singur to Sadanand timing gap.

When one maker wants to sell a car - he should just sell it. Not issue a lottery, entice/tease a lakh guys, (2 lak to be precise). All the time the idle minds of the 1-2 lac guys gets curious, talks gossip, gets help from media, more fire and smoke stories to talk, etc etc.

The Lottery should have never been issued in the 1st place. All cars have their fair share of initial teething troubles, not necessary mechanical, but general dislikes, looks, @$$, pricing, performance expectations, etc etc.

The saying of 'strike the iron when it is hot' holds good, very good in a new car launch scenario. Generate enough interest in the consumers minds, get your Supply chain in place in the background, and when you are ready - let the holiday-shopping-rush begin, and before a group of say 1000-3000 dissenters come up with a blog, hate-this threads, etc etc - the owners blog/group will outnumber them by 10000~.

Slowly, the Like-it outnumbers the loathe-it and the product gains speed/momentum.

Sadly, this story was a case of TOOOO long a pre-marital, engagement period. The consumer felt interested, got a very long time to judge the product even before seeing one for real, some real issues did take place, hopefully sorted out now - but frankly the real 'fire' in the minds of the consumers may have died a slow death...!!
Old 6th December 2010, 15:09   #154
BHPian

Tata motors to rope in Accenture for Nano firefight and strategy..

Tata Motors to rope in Accenture for Nano firefight, strategy review

although there is no plan of action specified in the article as such
Old 6th December 2010, 15:14   #155
Senior - BHPian

Remember how the autowallahs wanted to buy these. I wonder what they would say now?
Old 6th December 2010, 15:15   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
Tata motors to rope in Accenture for Nano firefight and strategy..

Tata Motors to rope in Accenture for Nano firefight, strategy review

although there is no plan of action specified in the article as such
Now, thats a news. Even with Tata having an in house consulting company (read TCS) they've decided to take it to Accenture. Now that's something to discuss.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:35   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Now, thats a news. Even with Tata having an in house consulting company (read TCS) they've decided to take it to Accenture. Now that's something to discuss.
I didn't know TCS did non-IT consulting?
Old 6th December 2010, 15:40   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I didn't know TCS did non-IT consulting?
Yes, as an ex-TCSer I can confirm that They're not concentrating lot on non-IT consulting though. Being said that, the internal group handling non-IT consulting is not taking up big consultancy deals. They're just there for name sake I think. But I believe, TCS should also have been included in the loop, so that their consultancy experience could've been used to bring the most out of the Accenture team.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:46   #159
BHPian

Very interesting discussion indeed. Am quite sure that this story will go down in the automobile history and students will be doing case studies in business schools.

I am basically into marketing and in our vertical we are driven by something called the 4P's - Product, Position, Price and Promotion. A successful product is born only when you get the right mix in the 4P's.

I feel TML has got it right with the product and price. It's with the promotion and positioning that they are missing out. Tata should come out with a nice ad campaign for the nano. I don't remember seeing any ads for this car other than the print ads by the dealer in the local newspaper showing only the picture and price of the car. Tata should do better than that.

Another point is that many people still think there is a long waiting list for the car. People are not aware that the car is available off the shelf! This should benefit Tata if properly promoted.

The nanos catching fire is a negligible issue blown up by the media. This has happened to almost all models in India but reported mainly at the bottom right corner of the 5th page in a local newspaper! Go to any Tata dealer and they should have a presentation which has compiled all the burning issues in cars across all makes. Tata will definitely overcome this issue.

Then there is the case of the November figures. This most probably will be the production nos. Production is generally very low during Nov and Dec for all makes. So as correctly pointed out earlier in the thread, if the trend continues in Jan and Feb - then it's of a major concern.

Anyway, Tata has invested a lot into this project and they will ensure that come what may, the project will pay off in the long run.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:59   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I feel TML has got it right with the product and price. It's with the promotion and positioning that they are missing out. Tata should come out with a nice ad campaign for the nano. I don't remember seeing any ads for this car other than the print ads by the dealer in the local newspaper showing only the picture and price of the car. Tata should do better than that.

Another point is that many people still think there is a long waiting list for the car. People are not aware that the car is available off the shelf! This should benefit Tata if properly promoted.
The ads were indeed not up to the mark. I haven't seen anything about Nano in the visual media other than those fire incidents. Also, waiting period is still an issue for lot of people. They still don't know the fact. But, Tata will bring it all in track with the introduction of a version 2. If the Europa with a 3-cylinder engine is coming, count me. I will book one.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 6th December 2010 at 16:01.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:08   #161
BHPian

I was trying to sell my decade old M800, when I asked this guy out of curiosity as to why he wants to buy a decade old car than a new Nano. I was selling this car for a lakh. He said, even though the nano is priced around a lakh, it doesn't even have AC and it doesnt really come for a lakh, it comes to 1.4 or something. Moreover, its not trustedworthy than the maruti. Maruti has history of more than a lakh miles easily.
So you get a new Nano
1) 1.4 Lakh without AC
2) Not so trustworthy in terms of miles it would clock

or
1) You get a trusted car for less than a lakh with AC

Interestingly, I saw a nano with fire extinguisher installed. Simple solution.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:20   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Enough has been said about the boot, NVH, diesel pot, etc etc. I thought of sharing a different perspective.

Singur to Sadanand timing gap.

When one maker wants to sell a car - he should just sell it. Not issue a lottery, entice/tease a lakh guys, (2 lak to be precise). All the time the idle minds of the 1-2 lac guys gets curious, talks gossip, gets help from media, more fire and smoke stories to talk, etc etc.

The Lottery should have never been issued in the 1st place. All cars have their fair share of initial teething troubles, not necessary mechanical, but general dislikes, looks, @$$, pricing, performance expectations, etc etc.

The saying of 'strike the iron when it is hot' holds good, very good in a new car launch scenario. Generate enough interest in the consumers minds, get your Supply chain in place in the background, and when you are ready - let the holiday-shopping-rush begin, and before a group of say 1000-3000 dissenters come up with a blog, hate-this threads, etc etc - the owners blog/group will outnumber them by 10000~.

Slowly, the Like-it outnumbers the loathe-it and the product gains speed/momentum.

Sadly, this story was a case of TOOOO long a pre-marital, engagement period. The consumer felt interested, got a very long time to judge the product even before seeing one for real, some real issues did take place, hopefully sorted out now - but frankly the real 'fire' in the minds of the consumers may have died a slow death...!!

You echo my sentiments. The delay acted like poison!!

I want the product to succeed as I see a lot of merit in it
Old 6th December 2010, 16:40   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
I was trying to sell my decade old M800, when I asked this guy out of curiosity as to why he wants to buy a decade old car than a new Nano. I was selling this car for a lakh. He said, even though the nano is priced around a lakh, it doesn't even have AC and it doesnt really come for a lakh, it comes to 1.4 or something. Moreover, its not trustedworthy than the maruti. Maruti has history of more than a lakh miles easily.
So you get a new Nano
1) 1.4 Lakh without AC
2) Not so trustworthy in terms of miles it would clock

or
1) You get a trusted car for less than a lakh with AC
I think that's the crux of the problem. Nano isn't competing with motorbikes the way Tata envisaged it. They are competing with 2nd hand Marutis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
Interestingly, I saw a nano with fire extinguisher installed. Simple solution.
I am not sure that's a solution at all. If my car caught fire, I would run for my life rather than trying to extinguish the fire :-)
Old 6th December 2010, 16:57   #164
BHPian

Default Why didn't I buy a Nano

I 'was' a serious Nano prospect. But ended up buying a used Zen. Why?

I was aghast to find that I had to pay 1.9L for the AC model. I would have been happy with 1 L price. I have no inhibition in buying the 'cheapest' car as long as it is good enough.
At 1.9L I was getting a good Alto (I'm ok with used car)
The car going up in flames was bad news and I didn't want to risk my hard earned 2 L on a risky car. I had more doubts on quality of the car and the potential service charges I would have to pay. Indica's initial performance was at the back of mind. This flame issue strengthed this fear.
I was not sure of resale value and still am not.
A great positive is the kmpl. I'm not getting this in my Zen. This would have been the only reason if still I had bought this car.

What can be done to make me look at Nano, probably when I'm in the market again in 1 year time:

1. Better value for money - Either reduce price or bring in the value of dependable car at what ever price
2. Give 3 or 5 year service warranty - La Chevorlet
3. Give a buy back assurance
4. A reliable image in the market by the time I buy
Old 6th December 2010, 16:59   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Remember how the autowallahs wanted to buy these. I wonder what they would say now?

They can buy the IRIS once its available. The ones who actually wanted to buy the Nanos badly were the Mumbai taxiwallahs to replace the Padminis there. Tatas simply did not allow it despite the union leader Mr Quadros placing a formal request to TML
Closed Thread