Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2010, 19:00   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

A PETROL Car 'Nano' from a diesel expert! People could'nt digest it, even I could'nt, whatever maybe the circumstances or challenges and if they could implement on such a critical project of 1lac car, then they could also bring a diesel for 1Lac. If it would have been Diesel Nano@1Lac then, double initial booking and tremendous "after lottery" bookings would have been there, as similar as, the Indica did to Tata.

Last edited by mercedised : 8th December 2010 at 19:02.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:12   #197
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Now that Indians are not interested in Nano, Tata should explore other overseas market. Rich nations, where people would buy it as a second car for running errands
Maybe Europe. I don't think it can sell at all in the US any time soon. I haven't even seen a 1000 cc car in the US - anything smaller than that would be a far cry. Plus once you make the Nano complaint to the standards, it would cost at least 4000$. At that price, people would buy a 2nd hand Civic or Corolla or something. A small size is not particulary a big advantage in the US, like it is in Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
or non-rich nations where people want a cheap mode of transportation but have no status hang-ups. I am sure somewhere someone will like this car.
If it didn't sell in a non-rich country like India, why would it sell in other such countries? I think Suzuki was correct - it's not possible to build a buy-worthy car at this price point.
Old 8th December 2010, 19:36   #198
BHPian

Forgot to add a solution to the dismal sale though. Just launch a diesel variant with a mileage of 30 Kmpl with a price difference of 15K. There will be a waiting period of 6 months.
Old 8th December 2010, 22:29   #199
BHPian

1.That Europa version with better interiors(design & materials)power steering, auto tranny and little more powerful engine, of course at a higher price point.

2.Electric Nano at less than Reva prices
Old 8th December 2010, 23:29   #200
BANNED

I dont really understand the take on Mamta banerjee and the failure of the NANO . Just because Mamta drove out TATA from Singur , it does not really mean that the nano was doomed to fail . Mamta was supposedly protecting the interest of the people v/s TATA . With the latest spectrum scam , I think TATA has used the govt and the masses to its advantage rather than anything else .

Even though there were discussions abt japanese cars and their quality , to be honest their cars do meet minimum quality requirements and they certainly are reliable and there is not much of gimmick marketing .

Tata tried to fool the Indian masses by advertising a 1 lakh car , collecting 95 % of the cost of the car as booking amount without even offering a test drive ( nor even let prospective buyer start the engine ) and finally not even respond to serious issues like the fire accidents .

With the NANO TATA has managed to get some short term financing for their JLR aquisition , New plant etc and as a strategy to raise funds TATA has indeed done well and it now does not matter if the NANO fails .

I am 100 % sure that the diesel version will come up as soon as there is another cash crunch and it will just be another half baked effort .
Old 9th December 2010, 00:01   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
Agree with most of what you mentioned. While I applaud your courage to post what you did, be prepared for the onslaught because there is a tendency here to project Ratan Tata as a saint, and not the businessman he actually is.
Old 9th December 2010, 00:19   #202
BHPian

Post Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

Nice Topic. I just read the news that Tata had engaged Accenture to study the Nano and why it failed to inspire the market.

The following to my knowledge are the reasons.

1. The branding. Nano would have done really well had it not been positioned as a cheap car.

2. TATA should reposition their marketing strategy. They should target college and young professionals instead of middle class family. Launch Nano with more peppier colour like the Scooty (Pep?)

3. TATA failed to market Nano. They dreamt that the cost factor will attract the crowd but it did not. However wonderful product you may bring in, that should be marketed well.

4. Dealers Margin. Being a one lakh car the margin the dealers gain by selling a Nano will me very minimal. No dealer will spend effort to close Nano. They will naturally show reluctance to puh it harder.

5. I think TATA should insist on some fixed NANO sales target to the dealer's and come up with bonus/benefit scheme to the dealer's. This will really push the salesguys to push on Nano.

6. The attitude of the dealers towards customers checking on Nano should be changed. They should be treated and cared like every other customer.. say a Tata Aria customer.

To conclude, TATA failed to market their product with consumers and dealers. If TATA is aiming to middle class family the what is the point in promoting Nano in premium Auto Magazines which middle class familiy never reads. Its quite sad to see that Indian company like Tata this time failed to propogate in the minds of common man.
Old 9th December 2010, 11:07   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
I dont really understand the take on Mamta banerjee and the failure of the NANO . Just because Mamta drove out TATA from Singur , it does not really mean that the nano was doomed to fail . Mamta was supposedly protecting the interest of the people v/s TATA . With the latest spectrum scam , I think TATA has used the govt and the masses to its advantage rather than anything else .
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^
Agree with most of what you mentioned. While I applaud your courage to post what you did, be prepared for the onslaught because there is a tendency here to project Ratan Tata as a saint, and not the businessman he actually is.
If he really was a saint as they say, why would he appeal to the Supreme court to restrain the media from publishing his coversations with a lobbyist.
Certainly they weren't discussing private things..and if he is blot-free, then what is he trying to hide.?

Ex-BPL head and Rajya Sabha MP wrote this open letter to Mr. Ratan.
An open letter to Ratan N Tata - Money - DNA

Last edited by Daewood : 9th December 2010 at 11:10.
Old 9th December 2010, 11:23   #204
Senior - BHPian

Well, Ratan Tata is not the discussion of this thread. Tatas are socially more responsible than other corporates. But you cant grow your business without thinking like a businessman.

I don't think he would mix product design and decisions with social aspects. It was a product failure simply.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:24   #205
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought- make it a three (?) door version. Do away with the rear seats, insulate the area and you have a wonderful car for two people and target the college going youth! Get Priyanka Chopra and Sharukh on board (ligghter note :P)

Edit: @ Sidindica (the thread starter) is this supposed to be an academic discussion or is someone going to take these inputs for Nano. Just wondering!

Last edited by anilisanil : 9th December 2010 at 12:26.
Old 9th December 2010, 13:02   #206
BHPian

^^^^

The marketing/ strategy planning guys of TML will not miss the comments from the net. I am sure there will be a dedicated team for this job alone. What is the purpose of having a market intelligence team, otherwise?

I presume getting feedback from all sources including the net is their job.

Murthy

Last edited by gavinimurthy : 9th December 2010 at 13:03.
Old 9th December 2010, 13:20   #207
Senior - BHPian

While Nano sales decline, TATA is trying to push UV sales it seems. I got an sms from TATA Motors which reads:

"The ultimate December offer. Buy a TATA UV & get a chance to to get the vehicle FREE + exciting offers, free ext. warranty, Xchange bonus, Free accessories. T&C"
Old 9th December 2010, 13:36   #208
BHPian

Interesting discussion.

Flashback to 1994 when wife and I became four and the growing family could no longer fit on my bike. So I guess I am (was) the typical buyer Tata banked on to buy the Nano?

Would I buy a Nano as a first and only car if I were graduating from a bike?

Definitely NO.

Why not? Because, (specifically I refer to my own situation), a first car moving up from a bike would have to be necessarily a family travelling car. The Nano does not fill that need. A second hand M800 does. I can buy an used M800 with A/C and drive at 80 kph Bangalore to Chennai or Hyderabad with family of four (2+2) and adequate luggage without worrying. Can't do that with a Nano.

So, that's a "No" to the Nano as a first/only car.

(BTW, I bought a M800 basic version and we (family of four) drove 86,000 kms all around South India for 6 years with never a problem).

Would I buy a Nano as a second car - a town roundabout to save gas and the environment? No, not in its current form - it's not a sufficiently "green"car. If environment was the only criterion I would buy, if budget allowed, a Reva.

Or, as I am in fact now seriously considering: buy a new scooter with space to carry bags for about Rs. 50k. Makes even more sense than a small car for running about locally.

Finally, Tata's reputation in service is not great. My personal experience with service and customer care of Tata products is a bad one.

Anyway I look at it, without being biased by my experience of Tata products, a Nano will never be in my garage.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:16   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Flashback to 1994 when wife and I became four and the growing family could no longer fit on my bike. So I guess I am (was) the typical buyer Tata banked on to buy the Nano?

Would I buy a Nano as a first and only car if I were graduating from a bike?

Definitely NO.

Why not? Because, (specifically I refer to my own situation), a first car moving up from a bike would have to be necessarily a family travelling car. The Nano does not fill that need. A second hand M800 does. I can buy an used M800 with A/C and drive at 80 kph Bangalore to Chennai or Hyderabad with family of four (2+2) and adequate luggage without worrying. Can't do that with a Nano.
When Mr. Sam Kapasi and NC can do Mumbai-Delhi in a nano with a/c at speed of 90kmph why can't you do B'lore-Chennai/Hyderabad in nano at 80kmph? Is only m800 endowed with that special quality? I would say, nano would be able to do that with much more comfort for 2+2 rather than cramped 800. This is coming from a 800 owner who has for better part of 14 yrs done what you have done. I remember how our body use to hurt after a 200 km journey in 800. i feel in that sense nano would be miles ahead since it has more room. Add a bit more of safety in modern nano and you requirements are met.

Sorry but have to disagree with you.

Regarding going green, it gives good city mileage as per owners here, around 20 kmpl, which is quite ahead of 17kmpl we use to get for 800. So its much better in the sense that it saves more fuel than 800/nano does.

Last edited by chevelle : 9th December 2010 at 14:22.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:23   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
When Mr. Sam Kapasi and NC can do Mumbai-Delhi in a nano with a/c at speed of 90kmph why can't you do B'lore-Chennai/Hyderabad in nano at 80kmph? Is only m800 endowed with that special quality? I would say, nano would be able to do that with much more comfort for 2+2 rather than cramped 800. This is coming from a 800 owner who has for better part of 14 yrs done what you have done.
But if I am not mistaken, the engine, of the Nano in which Sam and team did that MUM-DEL thing, failed after the trip. I am not saying it may be because of the trip. But I would definitely say that M800 may not in all probabilities!
Closed Thread