BHPian

Default Extended warranty for nano

Extended Warranty for Nano | Autocar India

4 years / 60,000 kms

existing customers can also upgrade

comprehensive maintainance contract at rs 99 per month
Old 9th December 2010, 14:35   #212
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
But if I am not mistaken, the engine, of the Nano in which Sam and team did that MUM-DEL thing, failed after the trip. I am not saying it may be because of the trip. But I would definitely say that M800 may not in all probabilities!
I am not aware of engine failure, if it is indeed because of journey, Sam should take it up with TATA as this shouldn't happen. But i just quoted an example that came to mind about long distance driving. Then there is a guy who took it to Leh, ladakh region. Our very own nano owners here are taking it for long trips. i don't see why it can't be done.

What Damu has written, he makes it looks like nano is not capable at all to which i disagree. ymmv
Old 9th December 2010, 14:52   #213
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

The following are some points that I read in a car magazine recently:
1. 'Most' of the initial bookings for the nano were from the 'rich' who were looking for a fashion statement. Hence the reduced sales after the initial fan-fare.
2. For the 'Target Segment' (people wishing to upgrade from a bike), nano is still not affordable.
3. Bad publicity following the 'fire incidents' also reduced the sales.

Decisions that could re-vamp the sales, as per the mag:
1. A Diesel model and an automatic model is planned by mid-2011
Old 9th December 2010, 15:00   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I am not aware of engine failure, if it is indeed because of journey, Sam should take it up with TATA as this shouldn't happen. But i just quoted an example that came to mind about long distance driving. Then there is a guy who took it to Leh, ladakh region. Our very own nano owners here are taking it for long trips. i don't see why it can't be done.

What Damu has written, he makes it looks like nano is not capable at all to which i disagree. ymmv
Sam did take it up with TATA and they replaced the engine under warranty. Yes Nano should be/is as capable as its similarly abled cars. I agree
Old 9th December 2010, 15:26   #215
BHPian

^^^^

Did any body travel 200 kms in the back seat of a Nano? The typical bench set up with the flimsiest cushioning make me wonder how one feels after a long journey.

Sam did comment that the back seat was pathetic. TATA needs to look into making the back seat too hospitable enough for long journey.

Murthy

Last edited by gavinimurthy : 9th December 2010 at 15:37.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:26   #216
BHPian

I drove my Nano nearly 2,000kms from Noida to Hyderabad. Now after almost 1 year, the ODO stands at 9,950kms and its been a fantastic experience with the car. The only issue faced by me were the fuses going off once in a while probably due to my heavy duty ICE.

I think the only thing thats going against this cute 'lil thing is PERCEPTION. Its considered an evolution of a three-wheeler and hence the general tendency to mock the car, without even testing it out!

..and with regards to the firm seats, I got the seats reinforced with extra cushioning all-round while upgrading to leather seat covers. No more bumming around now!

Last edited by Monaro : 9th December 2010 at 15:28.
Old 9th December 2010, 15:40   #217
BHPian

^^^^

The cost would then have gone up by 10% of the advertised price. :-)

Murthy
Old 9th December 2010, 15:55   #218
BHPian

Quote:

You should have read my post properly before commenting. I have not stated the Nano is not capable at all.

My exact words:Quote "Because, (specifically I refer to my own situation), a first car moving up from a bike" Unquote

The Nano doesn't meet the needs of the above situation. You are quoting / referring to other persons (Mr. Sam and Co.,) who have probably have the Nano as an extra car, not the first/only car which is a very different requirement.

Did he drive with wife and two children and luggage? Again, read what I've written - "family of four with luggage... without worrying...." Having engine problems is certainly a worry if the passengers include a wife and two young children.

The M800 (again remember I said "used") is available for less than Rs. 1 lakh. The Nano is not available with A/C for less than a lakh.

Quote:
When Mr. Sam Kapasi and NC can do Mumbai-Delhi in a nano with a/c at speed of 90kmph why can't you do B'lore-Chennai/Hyderabad in nano at 80kmph? Is only m800 endowed with that special quality? I would say, nano would be able to do that with much more comfort for 2+2 rather than cramped 800. This is coming from a 800 owner who has for better part of 14 yrs done what you have done. I remember how our body use to hurt after a 200 km journey in 800. i feel in that sense nano would be miles ahead since it has more room. Add a bit more of safety in modern nano and you requirements are met.

Sorry but have to disagree with you.

Regarding going green, it gives good city mileage as per owners here, around 20 kmpl, which is quite ahead of 17kmpl we use to get for 800. So its much better in the sense that it saves more fuel than 800/nano does.
You may disagree with me, it's your right. But understand what I've written first, that's my right.

"Green" is not only about mileage, it's also total emissions. If it's mileage, a scooter for me is much useful; for emissions, a Reva.

I have nothing against the Nano, on the contrary, I appreciate the fact that it's our own home-grown product. All I'm saying considering all aspects of ownership, it does not / may not meet the requirements of a person moving up to a car from a bike. A M800 (used) does. That's what I said.

I stand by what I've written.
Old 9th December 2010, 16:16   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
^^^^

The cost would then have gone up by 10% of the advertised price. :-)

Murthy
Not really. An inch of cushoning only set me back Rs.500.
Old 9th December 2010, 16:20   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
I remember how our body use to hurt after a 200 km journey in 800.
I have done straight 800kms (14-15 hours) drives on our non-a/c M800 and yes the body would ache. I am sure it would ache even in a Nano. More than the car, it is our roads, traffic etc that make driving strenuous/tiring.

The light-build of the M800/Nano might increase it a bit due to being thrown around (again road quality plays a role here). Do agree that the Nano would be having more head-room and thus comfy in that respect compared to the M800.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:33   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I have done straight 800kms (14-15 hours) drives on our non-a/c M800 and yes the body would ache. I am sure it would ache even in a Nano. More than the car, it is our roads, traffic etc that make driving strenuous/tiring.

The light-build of the M800/Nano might increase it a bit due to being thrown around (again road quality plays a role here). Do agree that the Nano would be having more head-room and thus comfy in that respect compared to the M800.
I haven't done any highway driving in a Nano but feel it has two attributes that should result in ride comfort better than that of 800:
  1. Independent rear suspension
  2. Much longer wheelbase
Old 9th December 2010, 18:15   #222
Senior - BHPian

Default ???!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
I can buy an used M800 with A/C and drive at 80 kph Bangalore to Chennai or Hyderabad with family of four (2+2) and adequate luggage without worrying.

Can't do that with a Nano.
1) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...0kms-nano.html (nanoLog® - Bangalore to Tiruvanamalai and nearly Pondy - 640Kms in a nano)

2) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nt-agenda.html (nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...)

3) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1923871

4) http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2163612
Old 9th December 2010, 18:16   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
You should have read my post properly before commenting. I have not stated the Nano is not capable at all.

My exact words:Quote "Because, (specifically I refer to my own situation), a first car moving up from a bike" Unquote

The Nano doesn't meet the needs of the above situation. You are quoting / referring to other persons (Mr. Sam and Co.,) who have probably have the Nano as an extra car, not the first/only car which is a very different requirement.

Did he drive with wife and two children and luggage? Again, read what I've written - "family of four with luggage... without worrying...." Having engine problems is certainly a worry if the passengers include a wife and two young children.

The M800 (again remember I said "used") is available for less than Rs. 1 lakh. The Nano is not available with A/C for less than a lakh.

You may disagree with me, it's your right. But understand what I've written first, that's my right.

"Green" is not only about mileage, it's also total emissions. If it's mileage, a scooter for me is much useful; for emissions, a Reva.

I have nothing against the Nano, on the contrary, I appreciate the fact that it's our own home-grown product. All I'm saying considering all aspects of ownership, it does not / may not meet the requirements of a person moving up to a car from a bike. A M800 (used) does. That's what I said.

I stand by what I've written.
The mention of Sam's long distance driving was to drive home the point that it is capable of long distance running which you refuted.

And i already explained citing my example how 2+2 use to travel in 800 and how we would have been more comfortable if nano would have been in that place. since we have moved on, we won't be doing that.

There haven't been any reports of engine failure apart from what Anil reported that Sam had engine problems. Did other members here face problem? I would let ownership report speak more than your assumption that it will cause problems.

its you, my friend who gotta read between lines and also read what i meant. Clearly you have replied in jest without understanding what i was trying to say.

now since you have mentioned emissions, let me remind you that 800 has been stopped from selling in BS4 cities due to emissions and in that respect nano is still more greener as it is available everywhere. why would i compare nano with reva that cost around 2-3 times more, not available throughout India and has almost nil sales and service network?

And while i am not generalizing things, i am sure a first time owner would always prefer a new car rather than an used car. Doesn't really make sense to compare a used car with a new car. In that way, why would any one spend 9-10 lakhs on new vento or city when one can get an accord for that price?

I have nothing against you, 800 or nano, as it looks like you took offence on my statement.
Old 9th December 2010, 18:50   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Actually i was talking about ache because of cramped rear seat which made it impossible for growing kids to move their legs around. Legroom and headroom are superior in nano compared to 800 and alto and thus movement would be possible thereby limiting the ache and getting tired. Quality of roads have improved by leaps and bounds compared to what it was 10-15 years back. I remember how I use to tell my parents sitting at the front to move their seats ahead if possible to generate what cm of room was possible. It won't be an issue in nano since even if the passenger seat is fixed it has plenty of space to stretch the legs. Straight 800 kms would obviously lead to fatigue in such cars, no doubting that one.

@Gavini murthy: Cushioning was not good in 800 too, while it was not hard it was not comfortable too for long journey. Nothing that an additional foam can fix it.

Last edited by chevelle : 9th December 2010 at 18:55.
Old 9th December 2010, 23:06   #225
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Well, Ratan Tata is not the discussion of this thread. Tatas are socially more responsible than other corporates. But you cant grow your business without thinking like a businessman.

I don't think he would mix product design and decisions with social aspects. It was a product failure simply.
We are not discussing Ratan Tata . We are discussing his brain child the NANO . How he wooed the masses with a 1 Lakh car and how much of the promise he has kept .
Closed Thread