Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 23rd December 2010, 10:48   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

What's the 99/month option? Is it like the Chevy 3 year free maintenance, that includes all consumables too?
Old 23rd December 2010, 11:32   #257
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

I have been getting atleast 10 SMS a day from Tata motors regarding offers on the Nano. Thankfully the no. of messages have slowed down in last 2 days. An act like this shows their frustration to the buyer, i do not think an act like this will convert into much sales. I hope you can image how irritating it is to hear your phone beep all the day to find another SMS about the Nano.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:18   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
What's the 99/month option? Is it like the Chevy 3 year free maintenance, that includes all consumables too?
Yes, It is.

You pay a bulk amount which calculates to Rs.99/month and all service consumables are borne by the company.

Actually, They have similar schemes for all TATA-FIAT vehicles, just that they don't market it so much for other vehicles.

A great thing if you like hassle free maintenance of your vehicle.
Old 28th December 2010, 15:28   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have been getting atleast 10 SMS a day from Tata motors regarding offers on the Nano. Thankfully the no. of messages have slowed down in last 2 days. An act like this shows their frustration to the buyer, i do not think an act like this will convert into much sales. I hope you can image how irritating it is to hear your phone beep all the day to find another SMS about the Nano.
At least you are getting messages on offers for Nano, I'm getting them for Ace Magic.
Imagine my plight!!
Old 28th December 2010, 16:47   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427

I believe that the fate of nano is sealed. I don't think this car can be revived. In the indian car industry there are NO Phoenix. History is testament to that.

R.I.P Nano
ac
Historically though, Indian Auto Industry is full of 'phoenix' anecdotes. Here are some examples:

1. Maruti 800 'Original People's Car': The car was an instant sales hit with waiting periods extending into years but all was not so glossy behind the scene with this project. It was developed by a foreign company (Suzuki) based on another company (Daihatsu) built by Indian Company (Maruti) which had no experience. If it were not for the insistence of one Gandhi, this project would be doomed before it started. In fact, the project was shelved and revived multiple times before launch due to manufacturing & development constraints.

2. Maruti Alto: Disasterous inning for Maruti Suzuki as Alto was launched. It proved a worthless competitor to Maruti 800 and Maruti Zen sandwiched with no purpose. The Alto project was revived by discontinuing Zen and slashing its price further.

3. Tata Indica: The 'more car per car' garnered record breaking bookings for auto industry but same did not materialise into sales due to product issues leaving Tata Motors foray into Passenger Cars truly staring at bleak future. Sales were declining and it just wasn't clicking till The V2 happened. A true revival story and the product still lives on 12 years since forst car rolled out of factory.

4. Maruti Suzuki Swift: Once again, Maruti seemed to have hit on their feet with launch of much acclaimed international model in India. People remained sceptical and sales were slow. Something just didn't clicked until introduction of DDiS engine courtesy FIAT. This new avatar not only blazed sales chart for the vehicle but also for its petrol variant and a subsequent sedan avatar, Dzire.

5. Maruti Wagon R: Quirky design and even quirkier pricing left Maruti (Once again!) stuck with a slow model. Re-branding, and re-pricing along with maruti brand loyalty brought the vehicle back on track and it hasn't looked back to date.

Similar stories mark automotive industry across the globe. We have to look at it this way.

Companies invest huge amount in building products. Assembly lines are created. Ancillary units are set up. Vendors are contracted with minimum orders et al.

A failure at this level would seriously dent a company's financial prospect sometimes even leading to its fatal demise. Hence, companies try every possible tactic to revive products and they do revive in most cases. Maybe not to its initial excitement levels but certainly to keep company and its associates afloat.

BUT, I don't think Nano situation is that bad. It is just down to poor marketing timing and inefficient demand and supply (singur issue) which has lead to current situation in Nano. Things will be back on track in time to come and mark my words on it.
Old 31st December 2010, 08:34   #261
BHPian

Tata's renewed attempt to spur Nano's sales seems to be bearing fruit-

Smooth ride: Nano sales up to 5K units in December - The Economic Times
Old 31st December 2010, 08:47   #262
BHPian

Nano Dec sales past 5000!!!
Now there should be one more thread since Nano sales are past 5000 for the Dec 10, month.
Old 31st December 2010, 08:59   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
Now there should be one more thread since Nano sales are past 5000 for the Dec 10, month.
Well if Nano has sold well, so has the Alto, I see tons of Alto's hitting the streets now a days, the 800 cc varient, the price I think is between 290k-300k on road for the LXI varient, and the Alto is by all means more car like to drive than a Nano, the Nano should come with a PS varient and the boot should open for the sales to go up. What I fail to understand is if one looks into the front boot area, TATA could have easily fitted the engine upfront, wonder why they chose to do so at the back.

For about 90k price difference between the Alto LXI and Nano CX, you get PS, fantastic AC, proven engine, more car like feel, much better refinement, proven efficency, reliablity, can be repaired anywhere vehicle. The only minus being low seating and lack of space, but in my view the positives of the Alto are much greater than the Nano, Nano needs serious re-engeneering in my view. I don't like battery inside the cabin and engine under my boot at the rear and to top it all I can't access the boot and even though it's lignter feels much heavier to drive compared to the Alto LXI.

Last edited by musicmanaman : 31st December 2010 at 09:05.
Old 31st December 2010, 15:02   #264
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

misicmanaman - the Alto is from the previous generation (yes even if it today has a new engine and an extended bonnet) it was designed keeping in mind safety standards 10 years back. The Nano on the other hand has been designed to pass all safety standards (yes am aware that for passing the NCAP and Euro standards some modifications has been suggested for the Europa)

Space may not matter to those who have a small built but for the rest Space should be of higher premium than any of the addtional comforts that the Alto supposedly provides.

PS is something that is at times not required. Some vehicles even with PS intentionally keep a higher pressure requirement from the safety point of view than in the case of the Nano. Nano's design does not require PS especially with the smaller crosssection tyres that it comes with.
Old 31st December 2010, 17:52   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
misicmanaman - the Alto is from the previous generation (yes even if it today has a new engine and an extended bonnet) it was designed keeping in mind safety standards 10 years back. The Nano on the other hand has been designed to pass all safety standards (yes am aware that for passing the NCAP and Euro standards some modifications has been suggested for the Europa)

Space may not matter to those who have a small built but for the rest Space should be of higher premium than any of the addtional comforts that the Alto supposedly provides.

PS is something that is at times not required. Some vehicles even with PS intentionally keep a higher pressure requirement from the safety point of view than in the case of the Nano. Nano's design does not require PS especially with the smaller crosssection tyres that it comes with.
I drove the Nano and it feels quite heavy without PS, don't know why? the Alto even though I'm quite big myself feels nicer to drive once inside. I agree the Nano is quite spacious, but there are small things that could have been done better, without adding too much to cost, there is enough space in the front boot to accomodate a battery, why would TATA not want to put it there is a mystery.
Old 1st January 2011, 11:24   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh51 View Post
Historically though, Indian Auto Industry is full of 'phoenix' anecdotes. Here are some examples:

BUT, I don't think Nano situation is that bad. ....Things will be back on track in time to come and mark my words on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullock-Car View Post
What should I say ?
Well Marked

Cheers
Old 1st January 2011, 11:50   #267
BHPian

could not read the whole thread but i did a search within this thread and could not find the word 'license'
Now if the target audience was 2 wheeler owners, was there any specific marketing done by tata to prove how easy this car is to drive or the fact that it has all the niceties of a 2 wheeler (easy in traffic cos of small size) and luxuries of a car. What would motivate these people, who are so used to zigzaging in a 2 wheeler in choked traffic to go and get a 4 wheeler license and buy something which is 3-5 times the price of a 2 wheeler? Maybe Tata could have thrown in some free driving lessons if the buyer could prove they don't have a 4 wheeler license or just acquired one recently to buy this car.
My point is price is a big driver, but not the only one - i think it is difficult for a 2 wheeler driver to give up the comfort and indiscipline a 2 wheeler allows them to enjoy on our roads.
I agree on the original points by sid - but i am sure atleast some percentage of the target 2 wheeler audience needed some more motivation to jump ship :-)
Old 1st January 2011, 14:22   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
What would motivate these people, who are so used to zigzaging in a 2 wheeler in choked traffic to go and get a 4 wheeler license and buy something which is 3-5 times the price of a 2 wheeler?
My point is price is a big driver, but not the only one - i think it is difficult for a 2 wheeler driver to give up the comfort and indiscipline a 2 wheeler allows them to enjoy on our roads.
Are you sure all car drivers are disciplined? I can show quite a few who will put auto drivers to shame! If you are saying a greater percentage of two wheeler riders are indisciplined as compared to car drivers, then I will have to agree!

But no two wheeler rider will upgrade to a four wheeler and throw away the bike! How many of us have done it? A bike is still required as a runabout, is easy on the pocket and will go where the car can't.

The nano is a car that lowers the entry barrier to new car ownership,period. It just will not make two wheeler riders to upgrade and give up their bikes. A lot of them who could afford a car already have one in the form of a 800 or Alto, mostly used ones. I don't think the nano can give a fillip to the process. It will have to sell on it's own merrit as a car, not as a two wheeler substitute. The cost of ownership just is not comparable.
Old 1st January 2011, 15:03   #269
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good to hear that Nano sales are getting back on track. Looks like the promotional activities, along with 4 year warranty & service packages, are renewing buyer confidence in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
could not read the whole thread but i did a search within this thread and could not find the word 'license'
Jassi, that is an exceptionally brilliant point. Some other challenges faced by the Nano (not sure if already covered on the thread):

- Target market doesn't have a license for 4 wheeler

- Target market doesn't know how to drive a 4 wheeler

- Target market doesn't have the credit worthiness for a 1.5 lakh loan
Old 1st January 2011, 19:09   #270
BHPian

sales definitely back on track!can confirm that pune dealer alone sold 910 nanos in dec 2010!actual figure no exxageration
Closed Thread