Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2011, 10:52   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The SIAM sales figures discussed in TBHP every month comes from the manufacturer - it may include cars which are still at the dealer.
ET also mentioned the same. The sales figures are from manufacturerer to the dealer. According to the report, actual customer sales are ~2500 for Nano in Nov, instead of the 506 reported in sales figures. Watch this news.. Nano sales up at 4000 units in December-Auto-TV-Economic Times Most likely last months sales figures are intended to clear inventory before the year end and nice move in financial perspective, but was a PR night mare. Instead booking charges on year end discount, now they have to spend more to change the perception/ negative publicity this created. Another case study topic for business class students...

Last edited by teamveevee : 2nd January 2011 at 10:54.
Old 2nd January 2011, 14:15   #287
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

Good to know that the NANO has picked up now and November was only a blip.

My take is, people have to wait for the new NANO which might come anytime - better breaks, tailgate that opens, power steering, continuously varying transmission the works.

I think what has happend with the NANO is a good case study. TATA wanted to make a car as cheap as possible - 3 wheel bolts and innovative stuff like that - but now they realise that a car is a bar, you have to make the cut, stay above the bar, only then people will buy. They have to change their hats from make a car to make something that sells and the Customers want - price is secondary
Old 3rd January 2011, 09:52   #288
Senior - BHPian

When the reported Nov sales were down to 506 units, people came up with 7 pages of criticism of TM, but when the sales came back on track in December, there is not even one page of comments? hm..
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:18   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
When the reported Nov sales were down to 506 units, people came up with 7 pages of criticism of TM, but when the sales came back on track in December, there is not even one page of comments? hm..
Nano is the cheapest car on the market. It had unlimited free publicity going for it. It was supposed to shake up the lower end market.
500 units in Nov was a big big thing - so 7 (or more pages) of comments was justified. Now with lot of advertising, offers etc, the Dec figures are 5000 which is decent numbers but not great - Alto sold 30000 in November, Santro sold 7000, i10 sold 14000, i20 sold 7000, Bolero sold 6000, Omni sold 8000, Wagon R sold 15000, Dzire sold 9000, Eeco sold 6000, Swift sold 12000, Ritz sold 6000. Even from the Tata stable, Indica & Indigo sell more than 5000 per month.

Even if Nano sells 5000 each in the next 6 months, the only reason that would be worthy of comment is because of the November 500 units figures.
Old 3rd January 2011, 10:34   #290
Senior - BHPian

This whole saga of blip in sales to 500 and then back to normal and hue and cry tells only one thing people are nervous and nay-sayers are looking for an oppertunity .

Nano has only one serious fault that it was conceived as a cheap car . The target market that is most of the small towns in India have distances which can be covered by a bicycle or on foot and Car is purchased just for that flaunt value.
If they would have made nano without advertising as 1 lakh car and still sold at same price as it sells today it would have been great success because embarrassment of buying bottom of pyramid product by first time buyer would not have been affected his purchase decision.

Before the car explosion in India suburbia concept never picked up and people wanted to stay in smaller houses near to centre of city and never really needed a city car. In metros small car market fulled expolsion of properties 20 -30 mins drive away or vice versa and nano is being appreciated here in the non-target market of metros as second or third car.
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:13   #291
BHPian

It is good to see the Nano numbers go back to the Pre November levels. I think the new marketing campaign along with extended warranty seems to have helped Tata. However, it is still early days. I hope they continue to do good numbers in the coming months as well.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:32   #292
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Personally, I am EXTREMELY HAPPY to see a 10X increase in factory despatches. Remember, even if the 5,000 odd number is a wholesale, it's the same for every other manufacturer as well. And no dealer likes to stock on unnecessary inventory.

For the price, the Nano is truly one heck of a car. I think that Tata got the product spot-on, but their marketing department badly messed things up. They just counted on press publicity, completely ignoring the need for their own promotional activities (to the masses). I frequently drive my best friend's Nano and am always left impressed at the overall package.

The 506 sales number from November obviously woke the marketing boys up. Overnight, we saw 4 year warranties (believe me, warranties are very expensive to the manufacturer), 4 year service packages and free availability in newer locations. End of the day, things are even better for the Nano customer.
Old 3rd January 2011, 14:50   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

For the price, the Nano is truly one heck of a car.
Agree.
However, the pricing was done assuming they won't need to much advertising, marketing, offers etc. Once they do all this consistently, Tata will have no option but to raise the car by 15-20% at least, in my opinion
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:08   #294
Senior - BHPian

Now that Tata has opened Nano sales in all the states, I wouldn't be surprised if the number keeps increasing with each passing month - courtesy more visibility on the road and in the neighbourhood.
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:09   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Great news indeed. Let us hope and pray that the Nano succeeds.
Old 3rd January 2011, 15:13   #296
BHPian

I still stand by my criticism. I am little surprised at the new numbers but that may be the blip IMO. It will sell because it is so low priced but never as a mass car as TATA expected it to become. So can anybody out here driving a Nano tell me how many of those are first time car buyers?
And yeah the prices are going up and that Nano is changing too so gradually moving away from the original Nano.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:57   #297
BHPian

Nano is back on track....gr8 news...I love that cutie piece of automobile...

I also think the thread has served it purpose and is a good candidate for closure....

Upto the Mods....
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:41   #298
BHPian

imho, its the exterior looks which really make folks see the Nano and look the other way. Seriously if they had got the design aspect little better, it would have been a real winner, something on the lines on Cervo or i10
dont bash me for this, but I have personally heard so many people calling this a 'glorified auto'
Old 8th January 2011, 18:23   #299
BHPian

Nano offtake (TML - Dealer) was in region of 5500 as also discussed in the forum. Actual sales crossed 7000 mark in december. Certainly, not the best but still quite heartening.

I think Nano still is growing considering it has just about recently entered the open sales. The ads have been well received by junta and the enthusiasm is beginning to return.

Really speaking, Tombstone for Nano was engraved too early by the eternal nay-sayers and haters of TML.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:57   #300

I would say the nano is on track. Every innovative product goes through its cycles of acceptance. There was a first batch of early adapters who wanted to be a part of Indian automotive history. Now is the turn for followers who want to make sure they are buying 'the right thing'.

Interestingly, in nano's case, there is a big difference between these two types of buyers economically - people buying it as a second car vs. people who have to choose between a bike and a car.

Also, shifting of the plant, supplier issues, and ready to sing nay sayers didn't help the cause. Something beyond the control of Tatas. May be some innovative marketing and structured market penetration strategy would have helped.

Nano is a great achievement for Tata and for India. I would love to see it become "the best selling car in the world".
Closed Thread