Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th January 2011, 14:36   #316
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

Adverts are awesome. Just what the Doctor ordered for

Given these recent marketing pushes, I sure we would see better numbers for Nano in coming months.
Old 14th January 2011, 15:15   #317
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

Dear Friends,

I would like to take you all back to history. There was a similar though back in the mid 1930's in Nazi Controlled Germany, when Adolf Hitler asked Dr. Ferdinand Porsche to develop and car which could be affordable to the working class and common man in Germany.

The WIZARD that he is Dr. Ferdinand Porsche developed the loveable VW Beetle, which was equally bashed up by people of those era for its bug like look, rear air cooled engine, small car look, etc. the list was just endless. It used an adequate sized engine which made it capable to hit 3 digit speeds on the very famous German Autobahns and mind you I am still talking about end 1930's and beginning of 1940's. The car proved reliable and safe with its rear engine and sturdy build quality. I am also not saying that the Beetle had no competition during its era, there were formidable cars which could take on and some were even better than the Beetle. Some of them are the Citroen 2CV, Fiat 500, Mini Cooper, etc. Also when the Japs came out with their mid size cars in 1960's the Beetle stood strong and held its ground. The Beetle's reliability and ingenious design found its way to other parts of the world and also became a part of day to day transport system for ex. as a cab in Mexico. Also every auto enthusiast knows about the engine which VW Beetle used, the engine is truly legendary. Apart from auto enthusiasts the marketing and sales guys must be knowing the no. of VW Beetles sold worldwide which surpasses any other car.

Now why all this Gyaan about the VW beetle, because our very own Tata Nano is also more or less similar to the Beetle. Small in size, rear engine, bug like look, etc. the list is endless here too. BUT the area where nano fails is Safety(catching fire), Reliability(puny engine, noisy, unreliable for long distances), Brand Image(Tata After Sales and Quality nightmares), Market Positioning(Underestimating target buyer's mindset), Buying Options(EMI which was high only recently it has been reduced, Downpayment which is high). Also about Nano's factory being shifted from one place to another issue. Again lets go back to history when VW's factory was destroyed by Allied bombing during World War 2, it was in utter ruins, assembly line destroyed all reduced to rubble and ground zero. But still VW quickly built its factory under an English General and started the production and VW Beetle rolled its way to glory. Tata Motors must have thought they can create a success with the Nano like how the VW Beetle did during its time, but the fact is all before us to see. Yes I am not literally comparing Tata Nano to the VW Beetle it is like showing a Candle to the Sun but still Nano is a 21st century car and had to be better than VW Beetle which dates back to our Grandfather's era. Need I say more.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2011, 11:29   #318
BHPian

Yes, the Nano needs to do a lot, especially in the first two depts. mentioned - safety and reliability.

Hope the recent revival in fortunes do not hinder the developement of a more refined v2.
Old 15th January 2011, 11:37   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

Three new Tata Nano ads reaffirm that Tata Motors make one of auto industry's best ads.
Very nice, each advt drives one point at a time. If you are on a bike in rain, you will defenitely remember this advt. I like the original yellow nano advt the best.
Old 15th January 2011, 12:17   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Also for a person who can just about afford 1.5-2L and uses it to buy a nano, this is a major investment and that person will take care of the nano to avoid scratches and dents, more than someone who can afford more. In Mumbai all the nano drivers whom I have seen till date were driving the car reasonably well.
A point well made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
Existing customers are talking about Nano in vernacular newspapers too. At the same time. !!
Haven't you heard of advertisements in the guise of news? They were the norm of the day during recent elections in A.P. I think TATA's marketing guys are becoming rather oversmart.
If you feel so, then you are not the target customer (or maybe just smarter than the "oversmart Tata marketing guys"). The TV advertisements are quite spectacular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Three new Tata Nano ads reaffirm that Tata Motors make one of auto industry's best ads.
Very true.
Old 29th October 2011, 01:03   #321
BHPian

When I drove it, it felt really good from the Inside and i am not doing the what can you expect from a 1.5 lakh car, Just yesterday I was driving a brand new Eon, costs 4.4 on road and the first pothole we hit every one in the car gets a huge jolt.

Yes compared to the many other cars which pretend to be cheap and are actually not, the NANO is good and i must just buy one and use it as THE CAR, yes dicky space is Zero, it sounds horrible and is underpowered? (I have another post where i found a 8 lakh linea underpowered) but it does have a lot going for it.

The operational costs are a joke, we need to talk to someone who has done more than 30K on the NANO to tell us how it behaves.

The one big drawback is the total lack of power steering, it is not a light car and is not engineered keeping in mind the lack of a power steering i am sure they will have a nano soon which has all the bells and whistles, bigger wheels and better brakes. It has hydraulic clutch which is pretty good i think.
Old 29th October 2011, 06:36   #322
Senior - BHPian

Love the ads, especially the tickle one, however, it might be too naive to expect these ads alone to make a difference to the sales figures. There are some issues which need immediate attention if Nano is to be the success that we all want it to be.

1. Do something about the engine noise, its really irritating. The nano could do with a decent 3 cylinder engine which will increase power and refine the sound
2. Ensure safety, dont just blame all fires on modifications to the electicals, those same mods happen to nearly all cars wherein people install music systems, lights, fans etc...
3. Better rear seats, they do heat up after prolonged usage
4. Better aesthetics, the nano for europe is such a looker, compare that with the indian version. Cheap does not have to look cheap, does it?

Would really love to see this car succeed, cos its an Indian initiative. However all I see for now is a great advertising campaign.
Old 29th October 2011, 09:51   #323
Senior - BHPian

I have been a Proud owner of Nano since last 7 months.

While everyone appreciates the car very much, but still many do not aspire to buy it.

Almost every one feels you can buy a Nano for 1 lakh even today!
I have to explain that this was promised way back in 2005-2006.

They are surpised when told that LX version which i have costs 2.20 L on road.

People still think it cant climb ghats, or can be used safetly on highways
Hardly anyone is aware that this car has a 4 year manufacturer warranty.

Things which might change Nano's fortune
1) Image building exercise to shed -ve publicity
2) CVT Petrol, with better seats and rear opening hatch and PS option
3) Obviously diesel variant
4) Highlight the 4 year warranty part in Ad's
5) Provide a lockable glovebox in the car somewhere.

Last edited by silverado : 29th October 2011 at 09:59.
Old 29th October 2011, 22:23   #324
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabnavis View Post
It has hydraulic clutch which is pretty good i think.
It has got regular cable operated clutch. My clutch cable has been replaced once in warranty.
Old 2nd November 2011, 19:47   #325

Sales of the Tata Nano up 26% this month. 3,868 units sold

Source - The Hindu, Chennai edition ( Nov 2nd, 2011) Pg-18
Old 10th November 2011, 20:29   #326
BHPian

@sabnavis- The Nano is way better that the Eon for VFM. I was also wondering how the Nano would do in the long run.Checked out the site and read some testimonials from customers who seem to be thrilled even after 30000 km. Segment is called Nano Diaries. Also check out the FB page.
Tata Nano | Facebook
Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors Check it out!
Old 10th November 2011, 21:01   #327
BHPian

@ Lalvaz: Agree with your point that cheap does not have to look cheap. My friend owns a Nano and he's quite proud of the heads it turns everyday on the road. Design wise I think it's really futuristic. As for the interiors, considering the price of the car, the quality of the interiors is pretty good. You must admit that overall, the nano is more than just a great bargain. It's a great car for Indian roads in terms of convenience, mileage and can tackle all Indian roads.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:31   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

And, there is light.

Ratan Tata admits to making mistakes with Nano - The Times of India

People as high up in the chain as Ratan Tata admit that something apart from the car (fire stories etc.) went wrong. Here's hoping this realization percolates all the way to the bottom and translates into action.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 22:59   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

I love the way Mr. Tata is always ready to acknowledge any shortcomings. Infact it saddens me to no extent that he is going to retire soon. A man of his integrity may be hard to find.

The recent advertisements are quite eye grabbing and have finally started bringing out the car's capabilities. I am sure that slowly but surely the image will change. Combine that with some decent EMI options, maintenance packages and above all the launch of the Diesel Nano should surely take care of the competition.

The only positive as pointed by Mr. Tata himself is that no other manufacturer is interested in that segment anymore. So they have to compete with only themselves and can concentrate on the image building exercises. Also who knows the Bajaj RE 60's effect on the market. May be people may start getting used to this new segment even though Bajaj doesn't intend to market it as a consumer car.
Old 26th March 2012, 18:50   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

The main reason behind Nano's dismissal sales is the Image of the cheap car that has been given to it. I know this point has been already discussed before but just wanted to share this amusing conversation I had with one of my relatives last week.

Now they want a new car to replace there aged Maruti Omni. His monthly running is less then 500kms and budget is near about 1L, lesser the better. The reason for changing the car is the need for AC. He finally choose a used Indica DLS, 2006 for 1.25L with the ODO @ 50000 kms. The car is nothing great and the previous owner must have abused it a lot. Everyother day he faces a new issue and the car returns him a pathetic FE of 10kmpl! It has also left him deserted on the road alreasy around 3-4 times. I suggested to him on my recent visit to his house that he should get rid of this piece of tin and go for a new Nano. It would give him terrific FE, pose way lesser problems, if at all any and is a spacious hatch. The straight reply I got was that he is happy to live with the faults of the Indica but not willing to be seen in a toy car which would label him as a poor. The same thoughts were echoed by his wife and kids in no lesser words.

The moral of the story being that even though he would be a perfect customer for the Nano ie a small family, owns a bike and needs a car, he is not even willing to consider it. I think this is the biggest factor at work with sales of Nano. Unless Tata starts some real aggressive campaigns and atleast makes sure that people come and TD there car, experience it from inside etc, I dont see how they will be able to sell the Nano. I am afraid even with the diesel engine it might not sell.

Last edited by drmohitg : 26th March 2012 at 18:52.
Closed Thread