Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2013, 09:31   #376
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

I am writing these points after test driving the nano. These are the points that I think need to be improved

1) Improve brand image.

2) Improve quality of service. Many people are put off because of the aftersales problems.

3) wrong promotion as the cheapest car of the world. Should have been promoted as a indian people's indian car or rather people's car.

4) Very small fuel tank. Range is limited due to small 15L tank at least a 20 or 25L tank should be provided to improve range.

5) Improve sound deadning and exhaust note. Sounds like a rickshaw from the moment it is started.

6) Create awareness for the nano brand.

7) Improve the quality of metal used even if it means removing removing radio and speakers as safety is more important.

8) Give offers for motorcycle buyers to trade in their bikes. Though i doubt many people will do that

9) Make the hatch openable. I remember seeing provision for a hydraulic bar for the hatch then why wasn't it put

10) reduce the amount of visible metal in the interiors.

11) Improve upholstery, lot of squeaking sound from seats and they are very hard.

12) Improve safety rating of the car.

13) Improve engine refinement.

14) Target younger generation who are in the market for their first car.

Last edited by rockporiom : 9th May 2013 at 09:54.
Old 9th May 2013, 09:56   #377
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano-November Sales=506. Analysing the root cause and devising the solutions

My comments in bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
1) Improve brand image. Agreed. However, Nano has a solid brand recall.

2) Improve quality of service. Many people are put off because of the aftersales problems. Almost 1.5 years of owning a Nano and I never felt I was mistreated by Tata Folks. Never felt that I didn't buy an Aria/Storme but a Nano. So, work in that matter is already happening. Only Tata owners can confirm that.

3) wrong promotion as the cheapest car of the world. Should have been promoted as a indian people's indian car or rather people's car.

Tata never promoted the car as the cheapest car in the world. Its the media that went berserk with the cheapest car in the world tag.

4) Very small fuel tank. Range is limited due to small 15L tank at least a 20 or 25L tank should be provided to improve range.

With the 16 litre tank, I get a range of about 250 KMS with AC. I feel this is sufficient enough. If the car gave a mileage of 10 or 12; then a bigger tank was needed for sure.

5) Introduce with a small diesel engine. This might make it a more economic option and a segment first.

Segment first for sure; but will the Nano diesel make any difference needs to be seen.

6) Improve sound deadning and exhaust note. Sounds like a rickshaw from the moment it is started.

I have the 2012 nano and I can safely say that it doesnt sound like a rickshaw for sure. Sit inside the car and you can hardly hear the engine sound filtering in. Sound deadening is good for sure.

7) Create awareness for the nano brand. More ads with the 2013 Nano

8) Improve the quality of metal used even if it means removing removing radio and speakers as safety is more important. Radio and speakers are not part of the safety kit and optional accessories. Nano is crash tested from what I know.

9) Give offers for motorcycle buyers to trade in their bikes. Though i doubt many people will do that

Nano already has this offer going on for a while. A lot of people have benefitted from this offer.

10) Make the hatch openable. I remember seeing provision for a hydralic bar for the hatch then why wasn't it put

This would be needed. However, how often do you use the boot if one is travelling alone? I use my Nano for office drives and other cars for weekend shopping. Yes, it would make a big difference in the real world with an openable hatch but still.

11) reduce the amount of visible metal in the interiors.

It is not much if you compare it with Alto 800.

12) Improve upholstery, lot of squeaking sound from seats and they are very hard.

I dont know what model you sat in and it's year of mfg; my Nano is squek free from day 1. However, I would want to have more thicker seats.

13) Improve safety rating of the car.

How? Put airbags? ABS and ESP? Then everyone will blame tata for over pricing a cheap car!
Old 9th May 2013, 10:09   #378
jp1
BHPian

I am a satisfied user of a Nano for the last 8 months or so. I have no complaints about the performance or about the A.S.S so far. Recently I recommended it to someone who wants to buy a car, upgrading from a two wheeler. His reaction was it is 'cheap'. I think it is this perception and also the initial fire incidences which was given lot of bad publicity which is affecting it sales.
Old 9th May 2013, 10:18   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
My comments in bold.
I have edited a few things in my post suggest you to see that.

Quote:
13) Improve safety rating of the car.

How? Put airbags? ABS and ESP? Then everyone will blame tata for over pricing a cheap car!
By safety rating I meant make people feel safe and assure that the car would never catch fire after the upgrade.

Quote:
12) Improve upholstery, lot of squeaking sound from seats and they are very hard.

I dont know what model you sat in and it's year of mfg; my Nano is squek free from day 1. However, I would want to have more thicker seats.
I sat in the 2012 nano and the seats made a lot of noise. Agree with you that they are very hard, would have preffered better cushioning.

Quote:
8) Improve the quality of metal used even if it means removing removing radio and speakers as safety is more important. Radio and speakers are not part of the safety kit and optional accessories. Nano is crash tested from what I know.
I know that I am just saying they may remove the radio to reduce cost if needed to improve quality of metal used.

Quote:
6) Improve sound deadning and exhaust note. Sounds like a rickshaw from the moment it is started.

I have the 2012 nano and I can safely say that it doesnt sound like a rickshaw for sure. Sit inside the car and you can hardly hear the engine sound filtering in. Sound deadening is good for sure.
Strange then it might be because of some problem in TD vehicle. I am definately sure it was quiet loud sitting in the front as well as back seat.

Quote:
5) Introduce with a small diesel engine. This might make it a more economic option and a segment first.

Segment first for sure; but will the Nano diesel make any difference needs to be seen.
Edited out the diesel engine part since it will not be required with the current market scenario where petrol price is coming down and diesel price is coming up. Plus with the excellent mileage of nano one would not need a diesel engine.

Quote:

With the 16 litre tank, I get a range of about 250 KMS with AC. I feel this is sufficient enough. If the car gave a mileage of 10 or 12; then a bigger tank was needed for sure.
The tank might be enough for you because you might be travelling less but for people who travel a lot for example travelling one from one city to other or one state to another will have to make a lot of pit stops.

Quote:
2) Improve quality of service. Many people are put off because of the aftersales problems. Almost 1.5 years of owning a Nano and I never felt I was mistreated by Tata Folks. Never felt that I didn't buy an Aria/Storme but a Nano. So, work in that matter is already happening. Only Tata owners can confirm that.
I didn't mean different treatment and discrimination of customers. I meant the Tata service as a whole, I am sure you will find many threads of poor service by tata dealers. Even my uncle(mothers brother) is a victim of their poor service.

Quote:
10) Make the hatch openable. I remember seeing provision for a hydralic bar for the hatch then why wasn't it put

This would be needed. However, how often do you use the boot if one is travelling alone? I use my Nano for office drives and other cars for weekend shopping. Yes, it would make a big difference in the real world with an openable hatch but still.
For a Family of 3 or 4 an openable hatch is a must since you can't place your luggage or other materials on the seat when everyone is seated in the car. Plus helps ladies(who are a major part of the consumers of nano) in doing shopping runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I am a satisfied user of a Nano for the last 8 months or so. I have no complaints about the performance or about the A.S.S so far. Recently I recommended it to someone who wants to buy a car, upgrading from a two wheeler. His reaction was it is 'cheap'. I think it is this perception and also the initial fire incidences which was given lot of bad publicity which is affecting it sales.
Spot on. This is exactly the problem with nano that i have mentioned in my post, the wrong publicity is the major factor that nano is not selling. I would suggest that tata stop selling the nano for a small period of time and do some upgrades and relaunch the car with a better publicity and may be a new name. The wrong publicity has lead to the name nano associating with cheap which is a wrong thought.

Last edited by rockporiom : 9th May 2013 at 10:28.
Old 9th May 2013, 10:42   #380
Senior - BHPian

All the talk about low sales, wonder what are the so called Nano touchpoints doing? If we see the lastest on it, around 240 have already been set up going upto 300 soon. Then they have 1000 dealerships and 900 service centers.

Even if we take a rough estimate of 1200 outlets that can sell Nanos and even if they sell just 3 cars a month on an average, it still amounts to over 3600 cars, but the lastest sales figures just amount to less than a 1000.

So does that mean each dealership is not even selling one car a month or there is something here that is not clear to ones eyes.

Numbers quoted courtesy HT- http://www.hindustantimes.com/Autos/...e1-984589.aspx
Old 9th May 2013, 10:47   #381
BHPian

Nano's price are no more nano in Bangalore. The base model is at Rs.2.05 lakhs and the LX at Rs.2.75 lakhs. Of course there is that nominal discount, but I am not really sure how much that a customer is influenced by the discounted price and the actual on-the-road price.

And contrary to what is being said here, I believe and may be certainly wrong too, the image of the "cheapest car" is as much a Tata projection as it is that of media. Ratan Tata announced the price of Rs.1 lakh, and instead of the car beginning at Rs.1 lakh + something, it began selling at Rs.1 lakh + something + something more. This certainly did not really help the naive customer who assumed that Rs.1 lakh will be inclusive of all taxes and will be on-the-road price.
Old 9th May 2013, 10:47   #382
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note: Post deleted. Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers.
Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 9th May 2013 at 11:31.
Old 9th May 2013, 11:30   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Yes sir, duly noted Also, please see my remarks. Stopping production wont improve the image but ruin it in the long run. It is advisable to launch a facelifted model (Pixel/Megapixel) and not a Nano Pixel along with 2013/2014 model and slowly phase this out.
Yeah that can also be done plus its nearly 3 years since nano launched so a facelift is not a bad idea.

Quote:
I know that I am just saying they may remove the radio to reduce cost if needed to improve quality of metal used.

He he, I know but to remove that, they need to provide it first
Huh, you mean to say that even top end model doesn't come with music system. Strange my dealer said that a music system is present in top end LX variant might be a fitment from the dealer but then I didn't see any extra price.

Quote:
I didn't mean different treatment and discrimination of customers. I meant the Tata service as a whole, I am sure you will find many threads of poor service by tata dealers. Even my uncle(mothers brother) is a victim of their poor service.

Again agree with you. While my experience has been good; the same may not be true for all. While my experience has been going good with Tata; I am not at all happy with the quality of service that MASS provides with out of warrenty/production cars.
By MASS do you mean maruti? I have Maruti cars from 18 years I have never had any problem with them and with their service. If you are unstaisfied with the service shoot a mail to Maruti and you will get a call fro the dealership within an hour. Now that is what I call service

Last edited by rockporiom : 9th May 2013 at 11:31.
Old 9th May 2013, 11:31   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
I am a satisfied user of a Nano for the last 8 months or so. I have no complaints about the performance His reaction was it is 'cheap'. I think it is this perception and also the initial fire incidences which was given lot of bad publicity which is affecting it sales.
Hello JP1,

Good to hear that you are a very happy & prown owner of a Tata Nano. It is indeed a very good & practical city car. But sadly people perception of it's being a cheap car is biggest hinderance in increasing the cars sales figures. Also the negative publicity on couple of fire incidents have dented the image of the car.

Hello All,

Though many have suggested a option of Diesel Nano to boost its sales, but I feel a Nano running on electirc / CNG will be a better option for prospective buyer. Also the cost of running will be far lower in Electric / CNG Nano.

I don't know whether it will be possible for Tata Motors to intall a CNG kit in current model, but if they somehow manage to launch a CNG Nano, it will be a instant hit in market because then with running cost of approx Rs. 1.5 per KM, Nano will be really a common man's city car.

Thanks,
Old 9th May 2013, 11:35   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello JP1,

Good to hear that you are a very happy & prown owner of a Tata Nano. It is indeed a very good & practical city car. But sadly people perception of it's being a cheap car is biggest hinderance in increasing the cars sales figures. Also the negative publicity on couple of fire incidents have dented the image of the car.

Hello All,

Though many have suggested a option of Diesel Nano to boost its sales, but I feel a Nano running on electirc / CNG will be a better option for prospective buyer. Also the cost of running will be far lower in Electric / CNG Nano.

I don't know whether it will be possible for Tata Motors to intall a CNG kit in current model, but if they somehow manage to launch a CNG Nano, it will be a instant hit in market because then with running cost of approx Rs. 1.5 per KM, Nano will be really a common man's city car.

Thanks,
I don't think an electric nano is an economic option since with the mahindra e20 i can see where the prices are heading

While the idea is good it would be quite a challenge to install a CNG kit since it might take a toll on the rear suspension of the car and further it is dangerous since the engine is in the rear so to have kit above the engine is extremly dangerous.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:09   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
IWhile the idea is good it would be quite a challenge to install a CNG kit since it might take a toll on the rear suspension of the car and further it is dangerous since the engine is in the rear so to have kit above the engine is extremly dangerous.
Yes. That is very true & that is why I said that I don't know whether this will be possible or not.

But going forward I feel going green is a best option for Nano. Rather than trying to push Petrol Nano which are anyways not selling in large numbers due to reasons known to most of us.

Also we know that people's perceptions are very hard to change. Nano is currently perceived as cheap car & this is not going to change soon. If Nano CNG is availalbe it will represent exaclty what the car is perceived - a small Car which is very cheap to drive.

Thanks,
Old 9th May 2013, 15:25   #387
BHPian

1. Nano is pretty spacious on the inside and this fact is never advertised, much more so than the Alto800. It is a tallboy and ease of ingress egress is never advertised.

2. The twin cylinder sound does filter in, at least I heard it and it does remind you of those goods carrying three wheelers (No offence meant to anyone). This can be achieved by better deadening at both the exhaust and the cabin.

3. Fit and finish can be improved. The car feels empty (at an added cost)

4. They advertised it as the cheapest car, which sort of conveyed that material quality was compromised to achieve cost restrictions.

5. I TDed Silverado's Nano and was pleasantly surprised by how good it was on most fronts, I am sure that if more people TD Nano they'll realize how VFM it is as a city car.

I think TATA achieved the cheapest car goal, now they can work towards releasing better variants with creature comforts and better handling and safety. As an only car it has to do much more than what it does now,

while as a second car it rocks.

I guess that is why their targeted customer base(first time buyers) have shied away from them

PS: Nano can only get as good an image as TATA themselves, TATA need to work on their image overall as a reliable car maufacturer who make trouble free reliable cars.

Last edited by Slick : 9th May 2013 at 15:29.
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 16:13   #388
BHPian

My dad is really serious about buying a Nano Lx. Last month,I told him to wait because either a diesel nano or 2013 petrol edition will come with lot of features.
If this does not happen atleast we will get some hefty discounts.
But 2013 model has not come yet but TATA has increased the price of existing model by another 15-20k, even though their sales have plunged.

My dad is planning to book it tomorrow.
Any updates regarding the launch of 2013 model?
Is it ok to buy a new nano at this time?
Old 9th May 2013, 18:36   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
My dad is planning to book it tomorrow. Any updates regarding the launch of 2013 model? Is it ok to buy a new nano at this time?
Hello Rock18,

There is no official updates on Diesel Nano as of now. Even if there was a plan to develop a Diesel Nano considering the rising prices of Diesel, I think the plans will definitely be delayed.

As far as launch of 2013 model is concerned, even if it is launched, there will be no major changes but just some super facial changes like new colors, new wheel caps, etc.

If your dad is made up his mind to book a Nano then please go ahead & book it tomorrow, as planned. We will be eagarly waiting to read your initial ownership review.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 19:07   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
My dad is planning to book it tomorrow.
Any updates regarding the launch of 2013 model?
Is it ok to buy a new nano at this time?
On the face of it this is a very good decision that your dad has taken. Nano is indeed a very practical small car that fits most of the bill for a city ride. Now should you wait for the 2013 model, why not since it may incorporate all those features that were given in the special edition like music system, glove box etc as standard features and factory fitted.

There may be improvements albeit small ones on other front as well which would be clear once launched. So if its a Nano then it could be 2013 for sure. However waiting for diesel at this point of time is a long ask.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread