Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:04   #16

Thanks GTO. love volvo numbers - 2,4,8
If one company has to be really really worried, it is FIAT. Nothing seems to be helping them.
Waiting for BMW numbers, will it be 4 digits?
Old 2nd December 2010, 02:10   #17

Fiat should seriously stop selling their 1.3 diesel engines to every manufacturer and see if their numbers pop up. I don't see them recovering anytime soon otherwise.
Old 2nd December 2010, 02:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

The DZire doesn't seem to stop. Look at that figure. Awesome. Good to see the Figo do well too. Thanks GTO.
Old 2nd December 2010, 04:07   #19

Are these figures an indication that the Indian car buyers are becoming more and more informed and selective? Also it seems buyers are now hunting for a lot of value in their purchase instead of relying solely on brand equity.

It is almost a consensus here that Honda prices their cars too exhorbitant - result dropping sales.
Lineas future MAY be bleak - result drop in sales.
Nano - too little to offer for first time buyers hence though alto holds the sales Nano doesn't.
Aria too,priced on higher side - Sales don't look too good though not disappointing.
Bolero surely the best VFM package is leagues ahead in figures - another endorsement that Name of the Game is value.
Good to see UVA figures. I loved that car when i TDied. GOOD legroom for rear seat passengers. Budgetary constraints didn't allow though.

However inspite of diwali festival car sales average. Does this alarm us of something?
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:18   #20

This sure has been a strange month for auto sales. Overall I am seeing the trend to be as follows
  1. The market didn't expand that much- this explains why some cars which used to be 2nd or 3rd in respective segments have very low numbers. Indica, Indigo, Figo come to mind
  2. Most people who bought vehicles stretched their budget and went for a better brand/model - this explains the trend like people opting vento instead of polo, etc. This may also explain why swift has much better numbers than Figo and Indica
  3. ARIA seems to have had a reasonably good launch. It is already doing better than Captiva, Santa Fe and Endeavor. Going forward, at this price point it seems like a tug of war between ARIA and YETI though Fortuner seems to be all set until new Safari and W201
  4. Most of the so-so(perception/sales wise especially) cars seem to have taken a bigger hit. Linea, Punto, Beat, Indigo, Indica, Sumo, etc. come to mind
Going forward
  1. Mahindra should seriously think about refreshing Xylo and Scorpio and while they are at it, a new look Bolero also would be nice
  2. TML should try to figure out how to make their cars fun to drive. IMO they should especially look at powerful engines across the board and also sport versions of Indica and Manza
  3. TML should seriously launch a new Advertising campaign for NANO
  4. Maruti is probably well set for now. But they should look at ways to successfully launch Kizashi and also bring out their MUV
  5. Honda should try to replicate the success of City across the board. i.e. buidl models specific for India or previously launched for S.E. Asia market. Honda stopped with City, but Ford with Figo, GM with Cruise, VW with Vento and Toyota with Qualis, Innova, Fortuner and Etios are proving this concept.
  6. FIAT should seriously consider putting more money into marketing. Otherwise it is better to be satisfied with being an engine maker.
  7. Toyota is building the momentum for Etios. If things go well next year Toyota would be selling atleast 15000 etios hatch/sedan per month.
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:18   #21

Swift is still going strong. Considering that there is a talk of the new swift in the 1st half of next year this is hard to fathom.

Ritz is doing quite well also and has beat Figo handsomely this month. i20 going strong too. Is it that the diesel i20 sales are going up or the cheaper petrol i20 versions are making a huge difference to the numbers?

Fiat is in danger of being wiped out in India. Wonder what will happen to the FIAT cars then?

GTO, Can we have breakup of petrol/diesel? Maybe we can put it in the thread starter itself.

Last edited by vishnurp99 : 2nd December 2010 at 07:20.
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:50   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Had been to the wonderful Etios launch last night at Bangalore. The Etios sedan deliveries will start in Jan'11. Bookings have crossed 1000 on day one. The Hatch is called Livas was also on display. Overall liked the car except for the dash which will take time getting used to. Ex-showroon pricing is aggressive with sub 5 lakhs for the low end to 6.85 lakhs for the top end

2011 will see a major change in the manufacturers number as the Etios deliveries start. Etios should impact growth of Dzire and Manza. Vento will find it difficult to see the 5000+ numbers. Hyundai will have to bring the new Verna/Accent to have a significant impact on this segment.

The hatch which is expected to start deliveries in the next 4-5 months should impact i20 and Figo.

Overall it will be exciting for us.

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd December 2010 at 13:24. Reason: corrected spelling of hatch name
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:59   #23

Looks like T-Jet is the only Linea model that has sold this month going by the response shown to the T-Jet. Instead of the competition it seems to have blocked sales of its other siblings.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:10   #24

Hey GTO,
Thanks so much for sharing all the numbers!
Is it possible to have the general sales figure for the month in India so we can define the market share of each model? Is there also a year-to-date figure for the Indian market since January?

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd December 2010 at 11:49.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:15   #25

Thanks GTO again for the numbers which I look forward to every month.
Figo i think the honeymoon period is getting over and soon we will be able to see where it will stabilize. Fiat numbers are disappointing as always and I think we have to wait for another month to see the effect of T-Jet fully.
And for Nano, God please save our Indian pride.

Last edited by arunkk : 2nd December 2010 at 09:17.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

The A-star seems to sell the same old 3000 no.s even after the arrival of Alto k 10. Whereas the Alto now sells 32k as compared to the earlier 20k. So where are the additional numbers for the Alto coming from? Is someone else losing?
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

-Linea & Punto Sales have halved compared to October. Sad to see a fantastic
sedan sales like Linea in sub 1000 levels!
- Ikon sales have doubled compared to October??
- Jazz seems to be settled at 300 mark. Honda should be worried, even City's
sales have come down .
- It would be interesting to see Logan & Co., Sales in December post Etios
- Altis figures have settled at where it used to be pre diesel launch. Surely Toyota has to work on a more powerful oil burner for Altis ASAP.
- Vento , Take a Bow! Slowly inching towards City's sales.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:00   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm very surprised and at the same time disappointed to see the numbers of FIAT. I was expecting the Linea numbers to have increased at least by a couple of hundreds. Instead the numbers combined with Punto and Palio is a mere 1000 units.

Has it got to do with something on the interiors of other variants of Linea and Punto getting revamped interiors or just to reduce the 2010 model stock.

By the way the sales rep from Prerana claims to sell around 50 units of Punto in a month
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:02   #29

- Vento - Just 600 less than the City wonderful but have seen only one till date
- Aria - quite a good number for its pricing
- Nano - What happened? production constraints? and it is available off the shelf as well now right?
- Fiat - Dont know whats wrong. I think its high time they try to change the people's perception about their cars or change the collaboration with FIAT
- Swift/Dzire - This combo has sold around 20000 units which is unbelievable considering the new version is rumored to be around the corner.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by prince_pervez
The DZire doesn't seem to stop. Look at that figure.
It will soon stop, if the Etios prices are an indication. A good move by Toyota - we should not be having waiting periods for a hatch/sedan at the low end of the market.

Originally Posted by karanraheja
Vento , Take a Bow! Slowly inching towards City's sales.
Another welcome entrant - to take on the absurd monopoly in this segment by Honda. Reflects in the figures of the City. Good move by VW - again in our (consumer) benefit.

Nano seems to be in serious muck. Due to the fires ? Or because the market changed since the Nano was an idea and people want more than just a cheap car ?
Closed Thread