Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th December 2010, 19:19   #226
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report

Friends, eagerly waiting for the official review of Etios.

Hope the review also carries a comparison with Dzire, Manza, Logan and Accent.

It will be very interesting to see sales figures of Jan and Feb 2011.
Old 13th December 2010, 19:28   #227
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I would like to rekindle the thought of how safe is Etios. It is a 930kg sedan, weighs much less than Swift, Punto, Polo, i10, which are much smaller in size than Etios. The Crumple zone concept looks to be ignored in designing Etios. Also the sheetmetal size would be thinner than its competition. Which makes it unsafe as well as dent prone. What do you folks think?
Check as I might, I dont see any reference to the GOA which is tom-tommed on the Innova,Corolla and Fortuner which should be an indication of the safety standard level used/not used in the engineering.

Strangely - I dont see a reference to GOA in LC200, LC Prado, Prius and Camry. I guess then GOA is for us BRIC-ians

The picture of the monocoque/frame in Innova and Etios show energy dissipation flow for both side-on and front-on impacts. However there is no text to indicate what might be the result in case of Etios. It is a bit more helpful in case of the Corolla,Innova and Fortuner.

The sheet metal did not seem to be lighter, it was more or less like what we see on the Indica V2, what appeared to be odd is when you open the bonnet,you see a rectangular frame and the car "seems" to be attached on it.

However, you can see the ground below like on the ANHC, there is nothing to protect the gear box and other ancillaries. I was told that the demo car was not the final version. In any case I dont see Toyota adding a sump guard like on Fiat and Skoda cars.

My 2 cents.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:46   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would like to rekindle the thought of how safe is Etios. It is a 930kg sedan, weighs much less than Swift, Punto, Polo, i10, which are much smaller in size than Etios. The Crumple zone concept looks to be ignored in designing Etios. Also the sheetmetal size would be thinner than its competition. Which makes it unsafe as well as dent prone. What do you folks think?
Even I wonder how safe will it be. Will have to wait untill they launch it in a country where NCAP is mandatory. I know we cannot predict structural integrity just by looking at the weight but still would like to know what all innovations Toyota has put in to keep a sedan with 1.5ltr engine under 1 ton which even Japanese/Koreans could not achieve with their hatchbacks sporting comparatively smaller engines!!
Old 13th December 2010, 21:29   #229
BHPian

Quote:
The weight and sheet thickness of car surely saves from small dents which happens in city traffic during peak bumper to bumper traffic and intrusions into no space by bikes and autos.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:36   #230
BHPian

Post Toyota Etios Chennai price list for all Variants

Toyota Etios Chennai price list for all Variants
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios-seden-petrol.jpg  

Old 13th December 2010, 22:35   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quality and reliability is what Toyota stands out in. Let the car hit the roads, its going to be a firm favourite across categories.

As a Taxi its going to run without trouble for over 300,000 kms in Indian conditions and would have paid for itself many times over.

As a family car - entry level sedan there can be nothing better technically for Rs. 600,000, one is buying peace of mind.

This car is going to effect the Indigo market, Swift Dzire, SX4 and the overpriced Honda City too is going to get a run for its money.

Entry levle sedans from Ford ( Ikon ) or Chevvy ( Avia ) are gone now, so is the Renault Laguna giving Toyota a clear playing field.

I have owned a Toyota Yaaris before and can assure from experience that it is every inch a Toyota.
Old 14th December 2010, 12:33   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icar View Post
Toyota is planning to produce 9K units per month for the next 4 months to clear the bookings for Etios.
That means a customer booking a car today will get in 1 month!
Old 14th December 2010, 12:49   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
That means a customer booking a car today will get in 1 month!
It is not 9000 units /month, what Toyota said was it plans to manufacture 9,000 units of Etios during the first four months. That is 2250 units/month during the first 4 months.

The total installed capacity is around 70K units /annum including the small car Liva.
Old 14th December 2010, 13:10   #234
BHPian

Whats with this car.
Is it really true that so many cars have been booked or TOYOTA is just playing their new game. And i should say they are getting better at it.
This car definitely looks as bad as a LOGAN
The interiors are as cheep as a 3 Lakhs worth car.
Wonder what the engine has to offer. We will know of it only if we TD the car.
I feel we are in fact ripped off for 7 Lakhs, the cars actual worth will be just 5 lakhs max.

Hope we find TD reviews soon.

Wonder on what basis these 8100 odd people booked this car.

We people should be asked on a poll before they launch any car, wont that make success an easier task to achieve.

But i guess the target population is definitely not people like me.
Old 14th December 2010, 13:15   #235
BHPian

If Hyundai adds ABS & Airbags to Accent, it would cost Max. 6 Lacs, still cheaper than ETIOS
Old 14th December 2010, 13:21   #236
BHPian

Some more updates on booking, its 11K + as of now, read on.

Etios sends buyers to the longest wait for a sedan | mydigitalfc.com
Old 14th December 2010, 14:02   #237
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Even though so many people are going ga-ga over the Etios, I'm not really sure.

1) The design, as every one has pointed out is very dated. How is toyota going to sustain this design over the next 5 years atleast? Forget about cosmetic changes, but a design should last for atleast 5 yrs. And if you look at the competition coming up in forms of New Ford fiesta{ which is just too good looking}, the new verna and also the new Dzire based on the new swift and all these are gonna be out by the end of next year.

2) Pricing--Evn though Toyota has priced the ETIOS well, I still think its over priced by over 40-50k. Most of the buyers in this segment are gonna buy the mid level variant{without ABS/ Airbags etc} and that too in diesel. By the way the petrol variants are placed, I presume that this mid level diesel variant may cost about 7.5--8 lakhs, which is not great considering that the dzire and the manze would be then cheaper by 50k. And the new ford fiesta may be just another 40-50k extra. Toyota should have been able to price this directly against the dzire / manza. If this is supposed to be low cost car from toyota and if it has been designed in a very boxy sort of way, then why cant the cost be lower too?

Initial bookings will always be high due to the excitement and toyota's brand re-call etc. But in the long run, even after the diesel is introduced, I dont see the car doing more than 4k every month, which is half of what dzire does now.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:38   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Even though so many people are going ga-ga over the Etios, I'm not really sure.

1) The design, as every one has pointed out is very dated. How is toyota going to sustain this design over the next 5 years atleast? Forget about cosmetic changes, but a design should last for atleast 5 yrs. And if you look at the competition coming up in forms of New Ford fiesta{ which is just too good looking}, the new verna and also the new Dzire based on the new swift and all these are gonna be out by the end of next year.

Initial bookings will always be high due to the excitement and toyota's brand re-call etc. But in the long run, even after the diesel is introduced, I dont see the car doing more than 4k every month, which is half of what dzire does now.
Exactly, my thoughts!

The car has more cons at present than Pros:

> Compromised design
> no test drive available
> Only Vx version on display

If I had to book a car, I'll wait for a test drive or a GTO styled TD report. If I manage a TD within first week of Jan, which are available only after 1st Jan 2011. That is still about 3 weeks from now, given the current rate of bookings the likely bookings shall exceed 25000 by then and the car would be delivered in 2012. By that time several new players such as Nissan Sunny, New Aveo should be available while Fiesta/ Verna might get launched in 1st quarter itself.

So, it is better wait for new Fiesta & new Accent/ Verna and invest 50K somewhere else!

Last edited by breezydrive : 14th December 2010 at 17:56.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:06   #239
BHPian

Is the car available in dealership to see in Pune? Or does anyone know when would it be available? Thanks!
Old 14th December 2010, 19:09   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Is the car available in dealership to see in Pune? Or does anyone know when would it be available? Thanks!
The Etios will be available on display after 24th Dec and will be made available for TD in the 1st week of Jan 2011.

The deliveries of the first batch of booking will start by Feb 1st week. But, if you book now, you will get it after 4-5 months.
Closed Thread