Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd December 2010, 15:57   #91
BHPian

I guess there is a lot of criticism on this model here...but i somehow believe its not going to go the Nano way...(nano sales november-506 anyone?) One thing which you've gotta give Toyota is that they know how to make functional cars... They just work..... I was planning an i20 magna but this sure is going to take my attention if not my cheque. :-) Why? because finally India gets an affordable Toyota. nuff said.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:11   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
i don't understand why everone is calling this a VFM sedan?

Hyundai Accent Executive @ 4.99L gives you all the features that the top variant of Etios provides except ABS/ airbags.
And in terms of interior looks and matierials used it's miles ahead of this Toyota. Plus Hyundai's reliability and *** is the 2nd best in India.
Well there are quite a few reasons why the Accent is not as good as the Etios.

1.) Old and outdated platform at the end of its life. Likely to pulled off the shelf.

2.) Poor mileage.

3.) I have not seen the Etios in person, but I highly doubts its interiors will be worse than the Accent's.

4.) Toyota reliability is just as good if not better than Hyundai's.

5.) Its a Toyota. This would be one of the factors for the aspirational Indian buyer.

Also, as already mentioned by you, the safety features tilt the scales in favor of the Etios.

Cheers
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:18   #93

Looks like a pretty decent package for the price tag that Toyota has come up with....

Though its not on premium side which is the intent of the company to take on Maruti Swift Dzire and Tata Manza.... i believe this concept should work....

Moreover, considering Toyota's great customer service along with some amazing service centers.... this is not a bad deal...

i would any day prefer a decent sedan to a glorified hatch...
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:19   #94
Senior - BHPian

Why is Toyota likened so much in our country? This is an honest question. I am new to car worlds, and hence, I always wonder what made Toyota the undisputed winner in quality? Even the mechanics with good experiences are all praises with it, and suggested me to wait for Etios just because it is Toyota. Can anyone please enlighten me?

AFAIK, Toyota doesn't have as many service centers as Maruti, or even Tata.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:28   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
First of all, there is no subtlety in your sarcasm.
Well, if that is the case, we do not need Power windows,PS or AC for safety.
Come on, when a person is spending more than 6 lakhs on a car, they expect certain equipment levels and creature comforts.
adimicra, no need to get excited, all i pointed out was that a Safety package would no way include a Tachometer, and Creature comforts are entirely a different bunch of parameters. Sorry if you got offended.

In my view this is a entry level sedan for the consumer who may be tempted to go for a Sedan instead of a highend hatchback, competing with the Swift Dzire and Manza. Manza may have the VFM but a customer will always have the reliability at the back of his mind when comparing these vehicles. And Toyota will score here. My personal views purely.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:29   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

On the first look, it looks pretty decent (considering the Toyota brand name and the pricing).

Here's what I don't understand -

1) Every grade has a cooled glove box and internally adjustable OVRM but NOT J grade doesn't have Power Steering.

2) Every grade has a door ajar warning and an Immobilizer but not Airbags and ABS.

This car would have scored much more if -

1) every grade had Power Steering, Airbags and ABS.
2) they did something to that rim at the rear
3) they came up with slightly better tail lamps.
4) the upholstrey theme was slightly less loud than red! (and personally, the headrest was the conventional one)

Also, J grade is offered in just 2 colours! This grade is meant for taxis only I guess.

All said and done, guess we should have a drive first and then pass the final verdict!
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:31   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Why is Toyota likened so much in our country? This is an honest question. I am new to car worlds, and hence, I always wonder what made Toyota the undisputed winner in quality? Even the mechanics with good experiences are all praises with it, and suggested me to wait for Etios just because it is Toyota. Can anyone please enlighten me?

AFAIK, Toyota doesn't have as many service centers as Maruti, or even Tata.
And Honda also to this please

My take: Toyota's and Honda's were, and still is the favorite of many Indian's that live abroad. They were reliable, relatively cheap and cheap to maintain in those countries. Many of them landed in our shores during TR's. I still remember looking with awe the Honda Accord during my school days, in my native. So the accord, corolla and camry's were associated with the well known foreign brand in late 70's to early 90's.

Then these guys set up shop, we all know how Qualis bulldozed the market with just one USP which is reliable, comfortable UV. Competition was Sumo and Bolero if iirc at that time.

Same thing happened with Honda with the city's.

Right from the beginning both brand pitched in a Premium, different debate if they are justified or not. BUT hard fact reliability, ease of use and peace of mind won and both the brands created the right niche in the market.

Toyota is leveraging on this and now gonna poke the economy players where it really hurts by launching an affordable car but with the same Q factor intact which is associated with the T or H brand in India.

Toyota why mech's love? coz they were the most famous diesel engines (mostly imported pieces at that time), they would have worked on which was bullet proof and lasted more than a duracell.

That is all to it.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:35   #98
BHPian

Even I'm wondering about people going ga-ga over Toyota's quality and reliability. Do they have such short lived memory that they have forgotten about Number of recalls Toyota did recently for kind of quality problems their products had across the board, the no. of lawsuits which they still have to negotiate etc? I feel, in today's world, every new product irrespective of the company, has to prove itself in real world and past performance can only help to certain extent. As they say in mutual fund industry, past performance can not gaurantee future performance.
So I'll not give much importance to quality/reliabilty and place toyota at the same scale as its competitors and will wait for the product to prove, as it is their first venture into mass market, where issues are completely different from the niche/luxury market. In terms of product, I liked the pricing but looking at the interior design, plastic quality (old Indica like) and the horrible back, I feel it deserves to be at that price. I feel Manza has much better road presence and interiors are much better in both Dezire/Manza either design or feel. Toyota badge would have given it an edge but last 18 months have really pulled them down and badge does not exude as much confidence/aspiration as before. Even they have to prove *** for mass market, which is not an easy task.
Overall I'll say just another budget car without any excitement.
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:41   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
Even I'm wondering about people going ga-ga over Toyota's quality and reliability. Do they have such short lived memory that they have forgotten about Number of recalls Toyota did recently for kind of quality problems their products had across the board, the no. of lawsuits which they still have to negotiate etc?
On the contrary look at other manufacturer's, they have so many problems with their cars. Do you see recalls? I look at recall's as one of the better practice from a manufacturer. A company who is owning it up and acting to correct the defect, instead of brushing it under the carpet. Same reason why i like TATA's to an extent, actually only reason

Obviously one gets wrong attention when this happens, won't they. So every coin has 2 sides to it. Am not justifying the act of making the mistake in the first place!
Old 2nd December 2010, 16:59   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
4.) Toyota reliability is just as good if not better than Hyundai's.
Oh mine, look how tables have turned. Toyota for me without a doubt is THE reliability benchmark, Hyundai or no Hyundai. But I have my reservation on safety aspect of the Etios and that for me is the biggest negative.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:00   #101
BHPian

Quote:
I have not seen the Etios in person, but I highly doubts its interiors will be worse than the Accent's.
Accent Executive interior is 'the best' among all entry level sedans in India. No way Etios can even come near that standard.

Quote:
Poor mileage.
Mileage of 17kmpl in ARAI would mean a real life figure of 12kmpl ,which is just one kmpl better than Accent.

Last edited by Daewood : 2nd December 2010 at 17:01.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:05   #102
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review

If the centre mounted Speedo and Instrumentation is better than the one behind the steering wheel why do all their more premium and high end cars not have it?

Marketing is a tool that can take facts to read anyway one want's it to.

Door pads look cheap, the seats seem ok, but the dash, overall plastics seem cheap.

Yes the matches the Swift Dzire kind of customer segment mindset quite well and should take market share from it. The Manza on the other hand seems to provide more for less and should have been a class higher but for the pricing and it should be able to retain most of it's numbers.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:06   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Accent Executive interior is 'the best' among all entry level sedans in India. No way Etios can even come near that standard.

Mileage of 17kmpl in ARAI would mean a real life figure of 12kmpl ,which is just one kmpl better than Accent.
a 1.5l engine and 930kg body, I doubt the FE would go below 15km/l (without a/c)..
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:09   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Its still not an apples to apples comparison. Atleast I can give the benefit of doubt to these cars for being heavier.
We're comparing against cars falling in the same segment. If you compare weight wise you can't compare any 2 cars in that case. Lower weight is achieved not only by thinner sheet metal but many other factors. A light weight engine, seats, insulation, plastic moulding and lots of other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I can safely predict that the Swift's rating should hold good for the Dzire as well, which means a reliable 4-star rating (old Swift). Honda City and Manza are suspects though but since Tata intends to take the Manza to Europe, it should be good.

How are you so sure that the Etios is not based on the Echo? Apart from the fact that Echo is LHD?
The 4 star rating that the swift got was with ESP, all round airbags and ABS.

In India only one variant in the Swift has ABS and airbags and the tyres are also puny 165's.

ps: I'm not defending the Etios, just reasoning out some statements.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:12   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Oh mine, look how tables have turned. Toyota for me without a doubt is THE reliability benchmark, Hyundai or no Hyundai. But I have my reservation on safety aspect of the Etios and that for me is the biggest negative.
It does seem too light for comfort. But the airbags and ABS at ~5.9 lacs make me feel a lot better. Actually, this is the only reason I slightly like this car.

Quote:
To each his own.

Quote:
The Accent delivers 9-10 in the city. It is infamous for its fuel guzzling appetite. A difference of 2-3 kmpl is a lot.

On the same lines, the Ikon 1.3 makes a case for itself as well. In fact, it figures cheaper than the Accent and offers excellent handling. It isn't justified to compare cars at the very end of their lifespan with a new launch.

Cheers
Closed Thread