Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th September 2011, 21:39   #76
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mahindra to launch Korando and Rexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Honestly comparing the XUV500 with any car in the SsangYong stable, the XUV is far better value and from initial info and pics not behind in any other aspect.

I cant see how they can justify selling these Korean SUVs at such prices in the same Mahindra showrooms?!!
I cant comment on that statement, but definitely can say that size would definitely differentiate between XUV and Korando.
But somehow if M&M itself wants to position Ssang Yong products over their own product line (including XUV),
then, we may need to think what about the engineering and finish of Korando/Rexton would be.

Even if they turn out to be very-very good, as Shankar said, even then they cannot command such premium as of Fortuner/X1 etc.
M&M needs to take that aspect into consideration, while deciding on pricing.
Old 25th September 2011, 22:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

To be honest Ampere, in the UK at least SsangYong is struggling to hold a candle up to its Korean contemporaries let alone Germans or Land Rovers!!

The likes of Hyundai and Kia have far better options (far better interiors, more engine options, more efficient thus lower insurance) at similar prices and an unbeatable warranty.

I agree with you that its too early to comment on how good the XUV500 is but considering that Mahindra want this SUV to be of global standards, bettering a SsangYong will be a bare minimum!!
Old 26th September 2011, 07:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

absolutely right.

Ssangyong is a poor man's choice outside of India. Yes it cannot be compared with even Kia and Hyundai.
And neither of these can anywhere be compared to the Japanese and Germans and others.
Because India is a "virgin" market, and there is no history with Ssangyong, M&M may want to start Ssangyong here with a clean slate and price it ridiculously high.
Not everyone who may be a prospective SUV buyer would know enough about Ssangyong's brand value because they may not have either travelled sufficiently or researched sufficiently.
But the bottomline is that such high pricing for a Ssangyong is neither worthwhile nor fair to the Indian consumer.

Quote:
To be honest Ampere, in the UK at least SsangYong is struggling to hold a candle up to its Korean contemporaries let alone Germans or Land Rovers!!

The likes of Hyundai and Kia have far better options (far better interiors, more engine options, more efficient thus lower insurance) at similar prices and an unbeatable warranty.

I agree with you that its too early to comment on how good the XUV500 is but considering that Mahindra want this SUV to be of global standards, bettering a SsangYong will be a bare minimum!!
Old 26th September 2011, 07:37   #79
Senior - BHPian

Korando is very popular entry level SUV for first time purchasers typically boys in Korea. I have traveled in Korando and Actyon of SsangYang motors in Korea.

What I believe that earlier version for SsangYang designs were killer than present design. Specially old Korando is my favourite. Rexton is good looking SUV. Thank god! Mahindra is not launching Actyon in India. I feel it is having worst design among all. Other their model is Kyron. I feel Kyron will be good competitor for Innova.
Old 26th September 2011, 08:37   #80
BHPian

SSangyong seems to make ridiculously styled crap cars. Personally I wouldn't even consider a Hyundai or a Kia, let alone a SSangyong, but they are cheap, and will get you from point A to point B. Don't understand why they are being priced so high in India, no one will buy them.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

lack of knowledge coupled with a "phoren" tag and tough ish suv-ish looks and presence will definitely elicit some trial purchases of these - this is on account of the "flash" value that many of us attach to an "SUV".
However, if they do over price these vehicles when they come to India, then at best they will see some expensive window dressing.

I agree that the Ssangyong cars are like entry level vehicles abroad and mostly dont even enter the consideration set in developed markets.

Unfortunately there is a lot of precedent now in India for brands which are considered second level ones in developed markets, to come in here as "premium brands" - Skoda, Hyundai (atleast their upper end vehicles), Toyota, Honda and now Renault etc.

But like someone said, you cant fool all of the people all of the time!
About time the manufacturers realized and started living by this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Don't understand why they are being priced so high in India, no one will buy them.
Old 26th September 2011, 09:58   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

That is exactly my thought process too.

That is what I meant, when I mentioned that if M&M thinks they can place Rexton/Korando over and above XUV,
the engineering of the XUV itself needs to be checked.

Add to it, if we already the engineering levels of Korando/Rexton, then based on that
and M&M pricing strategy we should be able to make a fair guess on XUV engineering.
Old 26th September 2011, 12:32   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
lack of knowledge coupled with a "phoren" tag and tough ish suv-ish looks and presence will definitely elicit some trial purchases of these - this is on account of the "flash" value that many of us attach to an "SUV".
However, if they do over price these vehicles when they come to India, then at best they will see some expensive window dressing.

I agree that the Ssangyong cars are like entry level vehicles abroad and mostly dont even enter the consideration set in developed markets.

Unfortunately there is a lot of precedent now in India for brands which are considered second level ones in developed markets, to come in here as "premium brands" - Skoda, Hyundai (atleast their upper end vehicles), Toyota, Honda and now Renault etc.

But like someone said, you cant fool all of the people all of the time!
About time the manufacturers realized and started living by this!
Yeah, you're right. I remember when they were launched here in Australia. Some people bought them just because they were really cheap - $24,000 on road price for a SUV, something unheard of, because the next cheapest SUV (I think it was a Hyundai Tuscon or something like that) was close to $35,000.

But I think buyers in India will be a bit more wary compared to some people here . I don't think people will spend several lakhs of rupees on some new brand with very limited market penetrance.

The same thing is happening here with the "Great Wall" brand - from China. Many of their cars are really cheap, but it is turning out to be a flop.
Old 27th September 2011, 18:54   #84
BHPian

SCOOP Source: Carwale

Looks promising but,
What do you think would be their pricing strategy?
Attached Images

Old 29th September 2011, 00:14   #85
Team-BHP Support

A fundamental question:

So where does the XIV concept fit in? The next to next generation Korando, which would be exclusively produced/exported from India?
Old 29th September 2011, 06:06   #86
Senior - BHPian

the latest autocar carries info that Korando is likely to come in around early 2012.
and the pricing could begin from 15 lacs ex showroom onwards.
They will position it above the XUV500 because apparently it is better finished than all the other current offerings from M&M.
the mag also says Rexton 2 is likely in the latter half of 2012 and that is supposedly going to compete with the Fortuner/ Captiva segment.20 plus lacs ex show room in other words.
Old 29th September 2011, 13:29   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
the latest autocar carries info that Korando is likely to come in around early 2012.
and the pricing could begin from 15 lacs ex showroom onwards.
They will position it above the XUV500 because apparently it is better finished than all the other current offerings from M&M.
the mag also says Rexton 2 is likely in the latter half of 2012 and that is supposedly going to compete with the Fortuner/ Captiva segment.20 plus lacs ex show room in other words.
Given the XUV price things now seem to fall in place a bit.
The only "googly" was the M&M statement that they would price Ssang Yong products over 20L. This definitely does not seem to be the case now. So Karando may top off at 18, with the lower spec at about 16.
Old 4th November 2011, 01:18   #88
BHPian

Considering the euphoria of the XUV, Mahindra have certainly priced it right. Maybe they have kept the price intentionaly low learning from Aria and also to maintain a good pricing distance for Korando and Rexton.

XUV at 10Lish, Korando at 15Lish and Rexton at 20Lish pricing will kind of make them a Maruti of the SUV segment. Whatever you buy will be a Mahindra ;-)
Old 6th January 2012, 16:18   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the Korando cant be compared to the Fortuner etc. The Rexton is nowhere near the Q5 and X3 and so on in terms of brand value.

Ssangyong Motors does not command this level of Premium in the marketplace outside of India.

Given this kind of price announcement, it must be surmised that the Korando and Rexton would be brought into India as CBU's like the Santa Fe and Koleos etc.

Even if they do come in at this kind of price range, M&M will find that these cars are basically expensive window dressing - not many will sell at that kind of pricing.
Fully agreed with you, why would an average Indian buy such an expensive car from an rather unknown entity even it comes with an M&M tag when we have the renouned brands already available in this space. I doubt even a miniscule population of car users / buyers would have ever heard the name Ssangyong until now in India.

This price point would make it another Aria or Kizashi.

Best option for M&M would be to bring the XUV under a slightly lesser price bracket (lesser bells and whistles) and bring these new offerings in the sub 20 lacs range
Old 7th February 2012, 16:58   #90
BHPian

While I was going to Delhi I saw these two Rextons parked at a road side dhaba on the Delhi Meerut Highway. I immediately stopped my car at the dhaba , looked at the two SUV's parked and started taking pictures. Just then 3 people came to me and asked me to stop taking pictures, by that time I had taken the pictures. Then I asked them about the vehicle to which they told that they are not authorise to tell me anything, but just that they are testing the vehicle. The white Rexton was AWD with automatic gears and black Rexton was normal. Both SUV's were running on MRF tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra to launch Korando and Rexton-imag0072.jpg  

Closed Thread