Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th January 2011, 20:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Audi A8 L Details, Specs and prices

@montoo: The A8 was unveiled at Trident, Jaipur yesterday only. From there the media folks were taken for a drive on Jaipur- kishangarh highway to Mahindra city. All the cars I think were MH numbers.
I spoke to a few media folks after the drive and they were very impressed with the cars handling at high speeds and also the comfort level
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 21:13   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoo View Post
I Saw A8 Yesterday Only.in Jaipur.can't Remember The Registration No.but It Was Mh -02.
Yes they are press cars, all Audi A8 press cars are Mumbai registered in the name of the company.
koolsun216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 22:12   #33
PPS
Senior - BHPian

The rear of the A8L is same as the A7 that i keep seeing sometimes! Audi may have the best interiors in the segment but it doesn't have that Character or Poise of a Jaguar XJ !
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 22:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

Great scoop and first pics, sid. I am a big audi fan in the last 1 year. But nothing like bimmer 7 though in the road presence department. I wish you wouldn't do too much post production in your photos, i think you killed the real looks of a wonderful car. Just a constructive criticism, if you know what i mean.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 07:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

WOW !! What a stunner ! In that picture of the 3 side by side, i frankly wasnt even looking at the S. For looks , it would be a duel between the 7 and A8 for their non-quirky beautiful designs ! Cant wait for the A8 launch in Mumbai
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 11:56   #36
BHPian

I don't find anything great in the A8 design. Infact in the pic of the 3 cars together, the A8 seemed to me like A3!! If the S class is quirky , what about the headlight design of A8??

I'll go against the crowd and say that its the S class that seems most elegant or shall I say prestigious to look at.

OT : it was 27 Dec, was travelling from Delhi to Jalandhar at night. There was heavy fog, perhaps the worst I encountered over such a long distance. All the vehicles were lined up along the right side of the road - along the road divider - and following a lead vehicle, at speeds of 30 -35 kmph. And then all of a sudden a 7 series just swooshed past from the left hand side at great speed. Wanted to ask what accessory or instrumentation fitted in the car could enable the driver to disect the heavy fog at such high spped?
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 13:12   #37
BHPian

The car looks wicked in the flesh and is a blast to drive. handles like an A4 rather than a 5.27 m long luxobarge.

Some pics from the official press kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Audi A8 L Details, Specs and prices-inda8l07-copy.jpg  

Audi A8 L Details, Specs and prices-inda8l01-copy.jpg  

Audi A8 L Details, Specs and prices-inda8l-25-copy.jpg  

Audi A8 L Details, Specs and prices-inda8l-23-copy.jpg  

Audi A8 L Details, Specs and prices-inda8l-21-copy.jpg  

Audi A8 L Details, Specs and prices-inda8l-15-copy.jpg  

ghost_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 13:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post

OT : it was 27 Dec, was travelling from Delhi to Jalandhar at night. There was heavy fog, perhaps the worst I encountered over such a long distance. All the vehicles were lined up along the right side of the road - along the road divider - and following a lead vehicle, at speeds of 30 -35 kmph. And then all of a sudden a 7 series just swooshed past from the left hand side at great speed. Wanted to ask what accessory or instrumentation fitted in the car could enable the driver to disect the heavy fog at such high spped?
Night Vision System. The A8L has it too with a Pedestrian detection system. the system can detect persons up to 100m away and they are highlighted with yellow markings on the display.
ghost_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 13:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
I don't find anything great in the A8 design. Infact in the pic of the 3 cars together, the A8 seemed to me like A3!! If the S class is quirky , what about the headlight design of A8??

I'll go against the crowd and say that its the S class that seems most elegant or shall I say prestigious to look at.

I would think a combination of 'heads-up display' ,night vision and of course a great pair of fog lamps and powerful xenons.
Heads-up display - information like speed etc. is seen right in front of the driver on the lower level of the windscreen so he doesn't have to look down at the speedometer and MID & hence doesn't have to take his eyes off the road.
Night-vision - Infra-red camera displaying images on the iDrive screen. Detects pedestrians and all other obstacles on the road from a fair distance.
Though i haven't experienced either of the 2 features i would believe they might be giving the driver a fair amount of confidence to drive briskly through the fog.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 21:37   #40
BHPian

Merc has to be designing a really good looking S this time. An S, with lines reminiscent of the W140 would be ideal.
petroguzzler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 23:18   #41
Team-BHP Support

Wow that is one good looking car. I like what VAG is doing to the Indian market. First Skoda takes on the C- and 3- with the Superb, then VW takes on the Japs at their own game with the Polo and Vento. Now Audi laps up the cream with this absolutely delicious luxe auto. Indian car buyers have never had it better!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 08:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to mention the experience i had while checking the details of A8. About 2-3 weeks back i went to the Audi website to check out A8 details. You need to send an SMS to a number to get a personal access code. Did that and got one code to check out the details. It looks superb and the cabin at the rear is like business class seats.

Then last week got a call from the Audi person (i am assuming dealer in Pune) asking me for my address. I did not even bother to ask why they needed my address and gave it to them. Yesterday got a courier from them with a Silver box with a Audi logo on it. Before opening it i was hoping it would have a scale model of A8 But it was only marketing material with interior photos of A8. I was impressed with their response though i guess they have targetted a wrong person for their marketing. Audi A8 in my dreams.
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 18:18   #43
Senior - BHPian

ugly, what happened to your eyes ?

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 18:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

The car will be on display on Feb 4 at Audi Delhi, that same day the new renovated showroom will be inaugurated. Its being transformed to a big 19 car display outlet. And audi sent me another silver box having those coasters/ mouse pads (whatever it is) I want that A8 3D brochure ASAP..
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 23:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

A8 3-D brochure is there on the website: The new Audi A8 L

Unfortunately do not have any 3-D glasses to enjoy it to the fullest
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote