Old 17th December 2010, 09:17   #31
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: How to Identify good petrol pumps on Highway or in new Cities

I patronise with the following pumps:

1. All BP COCO retail outlets with/without Ghar Dhaba
2. HP/IOC COCO retail outlets
3. BP outlets owned by TVS [Chennai - Royapettah, Trichy & Madurai]
4. BP outlet owned by Aurobindo Ashram, Pondicherry
5. Now, I like Reliance outlets. The price is at par with that of PSU OMC. First, the attendent asks the mode of payment, cash or card. When I say, card, he takes the card, swipes it, keeps it with himself and dispenses petrol. After completion of the process, the printed charge slips automatically pops out! He hands over the card, printed bill and charge slip [for my signature] and confirms that he returned the card! No manual entry of the amount in the hand-held unit, hence, no room for mischief/mistake. The same process is being followed in all the Reliance outlets.
6. All big BP/HP/IOC pumps where there are big queues of private cars.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 10:05   #32
BHPian

Did reliance re open their bunks? I still find them closed in most cities of AP.

Murthy
gavinimurthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 11:35   #33
Awaiting Email Confirmation

^I found many newly opened Reliance pumps by the side of NH 4/8/76/79 in Karnataka, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan. The ones at Ranibennur and Chabbi [near Hubli] [located on the opposite sides of NH 4 within a few km apart] have Kamat Upachar attached.
J.Ravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 15:54   #34
BHPian

COCO is Company Owned Company Operated which is different from Company Owned and leased. Please look out for that sign on the outlets - these are generally found on the outskirts of the city.

I have asked friends / t-bhp member from the place I am visiting for a COCO bunk. They have never let me down and till date I have always managed to locate a trusted bunk
LonelyPlanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 16:15   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
COCO is Company Owned Company Operated which is different from Company Owned and leased. Please look out for that sign on the outlets - these are generally found on the outskirts of the city.

I have asked friends / t-bhp member from the place I am visiting for a COCO bunk. They have never let me down and till date I have always managed to locate a trusted bunk
PLease refer to the earlier page where i have clarified on this And Just in case FYI the ONLY COCO thats in fact operated by the Company is a PERMANENT COCO. all others are run by Either DEalers or Service providers.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 20:42   #36

This is very good and intersting thread. I usually prefer pumps where they put the hose and stand away untill fill is done.
I always try fill the fuel before a trip. But when required out side city boundry, i go for Shell.
I would appreciate more tips on how to chose perfect bung.
Is company own bunk trust worthy?
krish_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 15:33   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Interesting. How does a lesser mortal like me do that ?

About the Shell pumps, I usually go eyes closed to a Shell. Any pointers there ? Or something we don't know ?
+1 on Shell pumps. I live in Bangalore and there are several Shell pumps where I have been filling for many years. Never had any complaints, grime or impurities and expected mileage for my car.
allinbalance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 08:30   #38
BHPian

Now a days the bigger outlets are having bigger machine which have eight, four or two independent dispensers for upto four types of fuel i.e. Petrol, Premium Petrol, Diesel and Premium Diesel. The chances of bunking in these outlets is really less. The primary reason is that they are controlled by a UPS system which has a computer connected to the office the dispenser S.No and the amout of fuel is directly displayed inside. This does not allow the Outlet owner to have real benefit of doing anykind of mischief and the attendents also find it difficult to bunk.
jasmeetsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 09:33   #39
BHPian

The best way is to crowdsource. I hav been trying to find the best pumps in kochi, there does not seem to be a thread on this here.
arunsasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 10:37   #40
BHPian

I am overall happy with Shell, I get a better mileage and performance... for day to day it becomes difficult to look for COCO's
sameerpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 12:07   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I tend to look for busy pumps with a neat look. Of course if I spot a functioning Reliance (not for ages) my day is made. I guess the same will apply to Shell and Essar. Also, by and large pumps in town/cities tend to be more reliable than those out on the highway.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 15:09   #42
BHPian

What i follow
1.COCO
2.Reliance
3.Ask other car owners from that place

I Know 3-4 reliable pumps in Trivandrum. Anybody knows reliable ones in Kochi?
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 15:15   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

One more thing. I was advised by a BP pump owner ages ago, that if I must tank up on the highway I should go for unleaded (it was the switch over phase). The logic was that they are less likely to try and cheat on the fuel which does not sell that much. So the fellow is unlikely to risk a penal offence.

By the same logic go for Premium instead of regular as an added insurance.
Old 21st December 2010, 15:21   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One more thing. I was advised by a BP pump owner ages ago, that if I must tank up on the highway I should go for unleaded (it was the switch over phase). The logic was that they are less likely to try and cheat on the fuel which does not sell that much. So the fellow is unlikely to risk a penal offence.

By the same logic go for Premium instead of regular as an added insurance.
In some areas, the reverse applies. For example, around Pune there are a few bunks where Premium sells more than regular - especially on the popular weekend drive routes.
I think it is reasonable to expect that once we start with Premium we should continue with that, and not switch?
selfdrive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 15:33   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

@selfdrive: I was a 100% Premium man till BS-4. Happened. Also, at the same time I sold my Accent and got a Civic. Honda DO NOT recommend Premium. So I have switched totally to regular. I must ad that once in about five tankfuls I do put in System G in my Santro. Also, by and large, out of town pumps (if they stock Premium) are unlikely to have much sale of this.

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st December 2010 at 15:34.