Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 20:32   #4171
BHPian
 
ghostrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 676
Thanked: 297 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Maybe because it's a petrol?
Possible, but unlikely. Considering how new the car is, chances are the original owner knew what he was getting into vis-a-vis petrol prices.

Also, considering he's averaging 400km a month, I hardly think his fuel bills are causing enough strife to take a substantial hit (which he undoubtedly will when he sells it) on the resale value.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 20:38   #4172
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,605
Thanked: 681 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

The used car market will see less activity until the budget, i guess. If diesel car taxation comes, then petrols might see a better resale.

Otherwise, no stopping the downward spiral of these petrol burners.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 09:00   #4173
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 214
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

I am looking at used Manza Petrol. Someone is offering his aura (+), 2010 Novmber model run about 15k km.
How much should be fair price?

I recently had a bad experience with a used SX4 offered at steal price. I travelled a lot to see the car to find that the owner, a General Manager of a pharma company was lying about its year of mfg and service records. He wasn't even willing to let me talk to service station. Anyways would write in detail later.

This time I want to pay fair price not a steal one for immature owner's ill maintained car.

Rgds.
sindabad.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 20:26   #4174
BHPian
 
ToroRosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 260
Thanked: 87 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Is 4.8L a good buy for a 07 Dec Verna SX Crdi.
Its done around 38K, mileage looks genuine. Car looks super clean with minor nicks in the front bumpers and rear.
Minor annoying detail - rear 2 tyres are of different makes - XM1+, Bridgestone and front ones are MRFs. The rear tyres have different tread depths, also the Spare tyre is Good year and has very little tread.
Would appreciate a quick response ,as my friend has to close the deal by tomorrow at the latest (btw, the Car is in Chennai)
ToroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 23:28   #4175
BHPian
 
MadBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 173
Thanked: 200 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Did not get any reply for the post on Factory Seconds Thread - So reposting it here..

- - - - - -

A friend working for Chevrolet mentioned of factory seconds car (registered temporarily on Chevrolet's name) are auctioned off. They sell about 6 cars per quarter, and currently 3 are left for now..

Price quoted is 6-8L which needs to be bought on auction. Cars are 2010 or early 2011 manufactured. The car in question is a Chevrolet Cruze with about 9-10000 Kms on the odo.

It comes with company warranty/ insurance / even an option of taking a loan!

The place of auction / car's location is unknown - but was told I need to take prior permission to even enter the yard to checkout the cars.

Is it worth risking to go ahead for a car of this type? Please clarify. I had a budget of ~ 6 L for a Used Sedan & a Cruze if found one on budget would be a blessing in disguise!

Thanks,
Ananth T E
MadBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 23:33   #4176
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 43 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

I wanted to know if the ford Ikon is better handling car when compared to the fiesta classic today.

Say if i'm going to the used car market and looking for a fiesta classic or the ford ikon in petrol or diesel, should have not clocked more than 20000km, which car should i prefer?

I am looking for a pure drivers car, fun to drive on the highways, it will not be used much in the city. not more than 6000km per year usage.

I plan to change the struts and the tyres of the preowned car and use this car for the next 5years

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 10th February 2012 at 23:35.
Crazy4.Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 00:11   #4177
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars
I wanted to know if the ford Ikon is better handling car when compared to the fiesta classic today.

Say if i'm going to the used car market and looking for a fiesta classic or the ford ikon in petrol or diesel, should have not clocked more than 20000km, which car should i prefer?

I am looking for a pure drivers car, fun to drive on the highways, it will not be used much in the city. not more than 6000km per year usage.

I plan to change the struts and the tyres of the preowned car and use this car for the next 5years
If you are looking for pure driver's car, fun to drive, great handling and got Ikon and Fiesta as options, you have go for Feista classic. Fiesta has superior stability and great handling characteristics. Also you are looking for long term ownership which means its Fiesta as Ikon may look like antique by that time.
HighOctane is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 00:21   #4178
BHPian
 
DudeWithaFiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kochi/Bengaluru
Posts: 314
Thanked: 337 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
I wanted to know if the ford Ikon is better handling car when compared to the fiesta classic today.

Say if i'm going to the used car market and looking for a fiesta classic or the ford ikon in petrol or diesel, should have not clocked more than 20000km, which car should i prefer?

I am looking for a pure drivers car, fun to drive on the highways, it will not be used much in the city. not more than 6000km per year usage.
I was thinking why do you even have this confusion. Fiesta Petrol shares the same powerful engine as Ikon 1.6, so Fiesta means a much better car with the same engine. Fiesta Diesel shares the same engine as Ikon 1.4TDCi, so again, Fiesta means a much better car. I don't see the Ikon scoring over Fiesta anywhere. Go with the Fiesta.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 01:12   #4179
BHPian
 
sharadmumbai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 176
Thanked: 89 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
I wanted to know if the ford Ikon is better handling car when compared to the fiesta classic today.

Say if i'm going to the used car market and looking for a fiesta classic or the ford ikon in petrol or diesel, should have not clocked more than 20000km, which car should i prefer?

I am looking for a pure drivers car, fun to drive on the highways, it will not be used much in the city. not more than 6000km per year usage.

I plan to change the struts and the tyres of the preowned car and use this car for the next 5years
I own both these cars and have driven almost 1L km in the Ikon and 8k in Fiesta. Ikon is a better handler and more planted with low seating and has more space than the fiesta. However, Fiesta is more mature, stable and has more features.
For you, I'll suggest that since its going to be a highway car, then go for Fiesta as you will find it easy to maintain as its in production car vs ikon which has been discontinued.
Secondly, go for petrol for your kind of usage. Due to current Petrol prices and anti-petrol sentiments, you can easily get a great car for dirt cheap rates.
Throwing a spanner: look at used fusions as well which are ideal for highway ride, have great space and comfort and will come cheaper than fiesta. Only drawback is that non-shared parts with fiesta will be expensive as this is also an out of production car

If you can share the model details, I can elaborate more.

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 11th February 2012 at 01:15.
sharadmumbai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 01:37   #4180
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 688
Thanked: 747 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

While looking for used cars, I find diesel cars have lot more mileage logged, cars with 2-3 years age with 50000km or more clocked. So my question is - what sort of engine/transmission life expectancy can I expect from a diesel compared to petrol ?

I've done some basic search online , but those are very generic and seems to compare commercial vehicle diesels which certainly are meant to run a lot and last very long , 300,000km and more. I am speaking more in context of passenger car diesel engines - how long would a typical modern diesel motor last, when would it require first overhaul ? Petrol engines last longer I am told, because they undergo less stress than diesels ( online arguments counter this with tougher build to withstand higher compression ratio and more running - but that still seems to be for commercial vehicles ).

Second - what sort of effect does infrequent running cycle have on diesels ? A petrol engined car used say once or twice a week has no issues, is it any different for diesel ? I'm not referring to total running, which may still be high , say 15-20000km a year - just not everyday but intermittent use.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 10:11   #4181
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 243
Thanked: 43 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
If you are looking for pure driver's car, fun to drive, great handling and got Ikon and Fiesta as options, you have go for Feista classic. Fiesta has superior stability and great handling characteristics. Also you are looking for long term ownership which means its Fiesta as Ikon may look like antique by that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
I was thinking why do you even have this confusion. Fiesta Petrol shares the same powerful engine as Ikon 1.6, so Fiesta means a much better car with the same engine. Fiesta Diesel shares the same engine as Ikon 1.4TDCi, so again, Fiesta means a much better car. I don't see the Ikon scoring over Fiesta anywhere. Go with the Fiesta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
I own both these cars and have driven almost 1L km in the Ikon and 8k in Fiesta. Ikon is a better handler and more planted with low seating and has more space than the fiesta. However, Fiesta is more mature, stable and has more features.
For you, I'll suggest that since its going to be a highway car, then go for Fiesta as you will find it easy to maintain as its in production car vs ikon which has been discontinued.
Secondly, go for petrol for your kind of usage. Due to current Petrol prices and anti-petrol sentiments, you can easily get a great car for dirt cheap rates.
Throwing a spanner: look at used fusions as well which are ideal for highway ride, have great space and comfort and will come cheaper than fiesta. Only drawback is that non-shared parts with fiesta will be expensive as this is also an out of production car

If you can share the model details, I can elaborate more.
Thanks guys,

Looks like i need to hunt a 1.6 Fiesta Petrol then, any idea about what kind of FE figures can i expect with this car? and we are sure that fiesta spare parts are cheaper than ikon right?

The reason i posted the question to compare the ikon vs the fiesta was because i have heard from many folks on any given day, Ikon handles better than fiesta classic, though i personally feel fiesta classic looks more elegant than any other medium size sedan in the market today.

@sharad, sorry mate the fusion wont work out for me because i own a 6 month old RITZ VDI and this will be my city car, its givin me 18 FE and its a very good car, so buying another tall boy for the highway wont work out, thus i'm looking for a pure drivers car for the highways with medium boot space.

Any idea of how much should i pay for a USED Fiesta 1.6 Petrol? I am okay with a 2006 or a 2007 car provided it has not clocked a lot of Km's, now since i'm looking at the petrol 1.6, does it matter if the car has clocked 50000km but has a complete service history, isnt a safe bet still? Sorry i'm asking these questions because i've never owned a Ford.

I'm looking at a budget of 3.5lakh or 4lakh at the max, i dropped the Honda city out of my mind for a simple reason that it wont handle like a ford, though the engine is much better and the FE will also be 12plus.
Crazy4.Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 10:35   #4182
BHPian
 
sharadmumbai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 176
Thanked: 89 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Thanks guys,

Looks like i need to hunt a 1.6 Fiesta Petrol then, any idea about what kind of FE figures can i expect with this car? and we are sure that fiesta spare parts are cheaper than ikon right?

@sharad, sorry mate the fusion wont work out for me because i own a 6 month old RITZ VDI and this will be my city car, its givin me 18 FE and its a very good car, so buying another tall boy for the highway wont work out, thus i'm looking for a pure drivers car for the highways with medium boot space.

Any idea of how much should i pay for a USED Fiesta 1.6 Petrol? I am okay with a 2006 or a 2007 car provided it has not clocked a lot of Km's, now since i'm looking at the petrol 1.6, does it matter if the car has clocked 50000km but has a complete service history, isnt a safe bet still? Sorry i'm asking these questions because i've never owned a Ford.

I'm looking at a budget of 3.5lakh or 4lakh at the max, i dropped the Honda city out of my mind for a simple reason that it wont handle like a ford, though the engine is much better and the FE will also be 12plus.
FE on highway should be around 13-14 for petrol but in city will be around 8-10 max.
For 3.5-4, you can easily get a 2009 used Fiesta ZXI with anywhere 20-50k on the odo for a petrol. Diesel would not fit in this range.
I understand your concern regarding fusion and stick to Fiesta.
Also, ikon spares are currently cheaper than ikon - at least in Mumbai but i feel that they will get expensive as the demand drops with time. But the difference is not prohibitive.
50k run odo is fine. i have used my Ikon till 95k and had to spend 10k on change of shockers/13 k on clutch pad change +gear oil leak/rings and then 8k on service including brake pad changes in the last 12 months. the car now drives like new. the only other major issue was when i had change some part in AC which was 8k. Apart from this, no other expenses in last 95k kms. Excluding accidental work.
sharadmumbai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 11:48   #4183
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 165 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker
Did not get any reply for the post on Factory Seconds Thread - So reposting it here..

- - - - - -

A friend working for Chevrolet mentioned of factory seconds car (registered temporarily on Chevrolet's name) are auctioned off. They sell about 6 cars per quarter, and currently 3 are left for now..

Price quoted is 6-8L which needs to be bought on auction. Cars are 2010 or early 2011 manufactured. The car in question is a Chevrolet Cruze with about 9-10000 Kms on the odo.

It comes with company warranty/ insurance / even an option of taking a loan!

The place of auction / car's location is unknown - but was told I need to take prior permission to even enter the yard to checkout the cars.

Is it worth risking to go ahead for a car of this type? Please clarify. I had a budget of ~ 6 L for a Used Sedan & a Cruze if found one on budget would be a blessing in disguise!

Thanks,
Ananth T E
I would say "simply close your eyes and grab Cruz for 6L if it is diesel" But the worry is that the car would have been tested/abused by factory. Advantages are you will be the first owner with option of bank loan, low mileage around 10k and you are getting around 6-7L. Meanwhile PM me the details, so that, if possible I can grab this offer as I am searching in Bangalore for pre-owned diesel swift with 4.5L in my pocket
HighOctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 12:42   #4184
BHPian
 
DudeWithaFiat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kochi/Bengaluru
Posts: 314
Thanked: 337 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
So my question is - what sort of engine/transmission life expectancy can I expect from a diesel compared to petrol ?

in context of passenger car diesel engines - how long would a typical modern diesel motor last, when would it require first overhaul ? Petrol engines last longer I am told, because they undergo less stress than diesels

Second - what sort of effect does infrequent running cycle have on diesels ? A petrol engined car used say once or twice a week has no issues, is it any different for diesel ? I'm not referring to total running, which may still be high , say 15-20000km a year - just not everyday but intermittent use.
Ricci, I can't give you a technically strong answer since that would require more technical knowledge than I have now

IMO, most modern diesel cars can run 2L km without much issues if they are taken care of well with proper services and oil-changes and if the owner is the kind who is good enough to check under the hood once a while and keep it clean. But in reality, how many car owners you know really mind to open the hood or even check the oil-level once a while? How many cars owners even know how much BHP their car produces or what kind of an engine they have? A diesel passenger car used by such owners will start showing serious issues after may be 1.25L km, unless its a jeep that can take much abuse than a regular passenger car. So I would say, if maintainted really well, a modern diesel passenger cars can do 2L km without much issues. I'm sure most of the T-BHP members will fall into the category of owners who maintains their car well.

Regarding your second question, we have a Fiat Uno diesel which runs a lot when I am home for weekly offs and that runs very less (>150kms/per week) when I not home. There has been times it lies without even starting for 2-3 days and it will start at 2nd crank during such times, else no issues. I am sure modern diesel cars can perform much better than this. Our Uno has done more than 1L and it still drives well and happy.

Add to this, we were out-of-station for about two weeks sometime last month and when I came back, our petrol Premier Padmini S1 started in the 1st crank.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 14:16   #4185
BHPian
 
Ricci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 688
Thanked: 747 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
So I would say, if maintainted really well, a modern diesel passenger cars can do 2L km without much issues. I'm sure most of the T-BHP members will fall into the category of owners who maintains their car well.

Add to this, we were out-of-station for about two weeks sometime last month and when I came back, our petrol Premier Padmini S1 started in the 1st crank.
Thanks Fiat dude ! 2-3 days isn't much of a gap. But it appears from your experience that petrol engines handle unused periods better (not sure why - could it the Uno battery is weak, or due to diesel engine oil properties ).

Just realized I wanted to post this in another thread this ( used car prices - my query is actually off-topic here ).

MODS : I wanted to post the original query in the Grande Punto TD thread as that is now the main car of interest, posted in this by mistake. Possible to move it there ? Thanks!

Edit: never mind, I'll consolidate my thoughts and re-pose the question.

Last edited by Ricci : 11th February 2012 at 14:18.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6109 7th December 2016 00:59
Online Seat Color selection tool by "Katzkin" alexpaul Modifications & Accessories 0 7th April 2011 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks