Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 13:39   #6496
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,121
Thanked: 1,124 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Hi Guys,

After selling my beloved Lancer due to certain financial reasons a couple of months ago, am on the lookout for a car again

My budget is limited to 2.5 lacs. The following are the vehicles I've looked at. Please let me know if the prices quoted are reasonable:

1) 2003 Corolla
...

2) 2000 City 1.3- Two owners. Stock car. Quoting 2 lacs nego.

3) Wait for it...2005 Sonata done a genuine 47k
...

Note: I've test-driven all the above and they are to my liking. I'am more inclined towards the City since I'll have some cash left to play with after buy!

Thanks in advance
Go with your instinct, pick up the City. The price is that cheap because the 1.3 is an unloved poor cousin of the 1.5/VTEC. Drive the seller down by another 20K, and mod the car.

Maintenance will be reasonable compared to both the Corolla and Sonata, mileage will be a bit more as well. So it won't hurt you to run it.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:27   #6497
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Go with your instinct, pick up the City. The price is that cheap because the 1.3 is an unloved poor cousin of the 1.5/VTEC. Drive the seller down by another 20K, and mod the car.

Maintenance will be reasonable compared to both the Corolla and Sonata, mileage will be a bit more as well. So it won't hurt you to run it.
Thanks! Yeah, that's what even I was thinking, if I could bring the seller down to about 1.75 k there's nothing like it! It will be a straight 1L savings (If I did decide to go for the Corolla) that's enough money to put in a whole lot of goodies for the city and some petrol as well The only thing is that it's the 1.3. It should have been a 1.5 at least

Is there a whole load of difference in performance between the 1.3 and 1.5? I know that the 1.3 is 90 bhp and 1.5 is 100 bhp on paper. But is the difference noticeable while driving? I've driven both, but I didn't get a chance to push either to the limit!

Last edited by aadithsince1980 : 22nd January 2013 at 14:28.
aadithsince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 14:40   #6498
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,585
Thanked: 798 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Hi
my views given in bold. also it would help if you list down what your priorities are to suggest other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Hi Guys,

After selling my beloved Lancer due to certain financial reasons a couple of months ago, am on the lookout for a car again

My budget is limited to 2.5 lacs. The following are the vehicles I've looked at. Please let me know if the prices quoted are reasonable:

1) 2003 Corolla- Fully loaded with superb after market alloys and low pro tyres. Single owner and done a genuine 70k odd on the odo. The guy is quoting 2.7 last after negotiations (I love this car but it's a wee bit over my budget).

Avoid - if its run on low pro tyres, quite surely the suspension would have taken a bad hit.

2) 2000 City 1.3- Two owners. Stock car. Quoting 2 lacs nego.

Priced way above market. I have sold my 2001 1.5Exi with some nice alloys for 1.85lakhs about 6 months back and that was a good rate. 2 lakhs for a 1.3 is toooo much. Do you plan for an engine swap ? Only then, buy the 1.3 - else whats the point ? you may as well hunt for a good Vtec of a 1.5. Try and search in the Chennai market also.


3) Wait for it...2005 Sonata done a genuine 47k (Owned by a model friend of mine) single handedly driven. Loaded to the brim (Rockfort system et.al). Since it's for me, he's ready to part with it for 2.1 Lacs.


This is 2 generations before the presently sold Sonata. Not sure for what reason you would want to look at this car. it came with very soft suspension, looks horrendous ( IMO ), very thirsty and getting spares will definetly be difficult

Now guys, do let me know if the above quoted prices are reasonable and what would be your pick if you were in my place. Would love to own a old V-Tec but good examples are demanding ridiculous prices

Any Idea about the upkeep costs of a Sonata? I have no clue!

Note: I've test-driven all the above and they are to my liking. I'am more inclined towards the City since I'll have some cash left to play with after buy!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by narayan : 22nd January 2013 at 14:43.
narayan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:24   #6499
BHPian
 
shabash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

I have always wanted to buy a Honda CRV even before I picked up my Scorpio in 2009. But being a regular IT Joe, I was not in a position to buy one, not even a second hand one (I did come across a nice one for 11 Lakhs, which I feel was on the higher side). So finally settled for the Scorpio (was on company lease, so that gave a 30% off the IT from the EMI). Now 3.5 years later, I have started my search for my next car (as the company lease comes to an end in 4 months). Now again that feeling of CRV has come back.

I have looked around and saw that dealers are quoting anywhere between 11 to 14 lakhs for a used CRV; models ranging from 2007 to 2009. Most of them have around 50K on the ODO. I felt the prices quoted were too high. I was expecting the prices to be more in the 8 to 10 lakhs bracket in Bangalore for CRV in the same model year range.

So throwing the following questions open to fellow Bhp-ians.

1. What do you think is a good price for a CRV in the year range of 2007 to 2009 in Bangalore?

2. I have never bought a car from 2nd hand dealers. What is the bargaining range at these dealer places, say can I start 30% less for example?
shabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:14   #6500
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 627
Thanked: 213 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

1 - 2003 Corolla - No comments on price, but have seen single owner 2003 corollas being sold for less than 2.5 lac in Mumbai.

2 - 2000 City 1.3 - 2 lac for a 2000 City that too with a 1.3 engine is too much. Look for a 1.5 or Vtec, you should be able to find one for around 2 lac. If you end up buying a Vtec or 1.5, you'd love the revv happy engine but would hate the handling (after driving a lancer). Finding certain cosmetic bits for City is very difficult (speaking from experience) since it is a discontinued car; no issues with finding mechanical spare parts though.

3 - 2005 Sonata - Avoid it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Hi Guys,

After selling my beloved Lancer due to certain financial reasons a couple of months ago, am on the lookout for a car again

My budget is limited to 2.5 lacs. The following are the vehicles I've looked at. Please let me know if the prices quoted are reasonable:

1) 2003 Corolla- Fully loaded with superb after market alloys and low pro tyres. Single owner and done a genuine 70k odd on the odo. The guy is quoting 2.7 last after negotiations (I love this car but it's a wee bit over my budget).

2) 2000 City 1.3- Two owners. Stock car. Quoting 2 lacs nego.

3) Wait for it...2005 Sonata done a genuine 47k (Owned by a model friend of mine) single handedly driven. Loaded to the brim (Rockfort system et.al). Since it's for me, he's ready to part with it for 2.1 Lacs.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 08:03   #6501
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 428
Thanked: 178 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Hi Guys,

After selling my beloved Lancer due to certain financial reasons a couple of months ago, am on the lookout for a car again

My budget is limited to 2.5 lacs. The following are the vehicles I've looked at. Please let me know if the prices quoted are reasonable:

1) 2003 Corolla- Fully loaded with superb after market alloys and low pro tyres. Single owner and done a genuine 70k odd on the odo. The guy is quoting 2.7 last after negotiations (I love this car but it's a wee bit over my budget).

2) 2000 City 1.3- Two owners. Stock car. Quoting 2 lacs nego.

3) Wait for it...2005 Sonata done a genuine 47k (Owned by a model friend of mine) single handedly driven. Loaded to the brim (Rockfort system et.al). Since it's for me, he's ready to part with it for 2.1 Lacs.

Now guys, do let me know if the above quoted prices are reasonable and what would be your pick if you were in my place. Would love to own a old V-Tec but good examples are demanding ridiculous prices

Any Idea about the upkeep costs of a Sonata? I have no clue!

Note: I've test-driven all the above and they are to my liking. I'am more inclined towards the City since I'll have some cash left to play with after buy!

Thanks in advance
I don't know how long you plan keep this buy. City makes no sense to me, it's 13yrs old and 2 owners. Price is ridiculous as well. Among the 3 you listed, sonata seems the best buy. It's a D segment car, and build, fit, finish, power will be much higher than other 2.
harishpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:25   #6502
BHPian
 
Cesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly, Gurgaon
Posts: 597
Thanked: 223 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
1. What do you think is a good price for a CRV in the year range of 2007 to 2009 in Bangalore?

2. I have never bought a car from 2nd hand dealers. What is the bargaining range at these dealer places, say can I start 30% less for example?
You are right in expecting prices to be in the 8-10L range. A 2008 CRV was bought by a friend for 6.5L here in Delhi so around 8L in Bangalore is about right.

With dealers you can start with 20-25% less. If they start talking and show interest then increase your prices very slowly and absolutely stop at approx 15% off their asking price. For example for a vehicle with a quoted price of 10L, you can start by offering 7.75-8L and absolutely stop at 8.5L. Be aware that this is a general rule of thumb but there might be dealers who will quote sensible prices to begin with (though such dealers are few and far between) so use your judgement. Use one dealer against the other ('XYZ is offering this for 1L less than what you are' etc. etc.) for good results.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:50   #6503
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 927 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
I have always wanted to buy a Honda CRV even before I picked up my Scorpio in 2009. I was expecting the prices to be more in the 8 to 10 lakhs bracket in Bangalore for CRV in the same model year range.
Hello Shabash,

I understand your passion for Honda CRV. But if your bugdet is Rs. 8 - 10 lacs, rather than going for a 4 year used Honda CRV, why not look at new Renault Duster? Probably for Rs. 11 lacs you will get a chance to own one of the hottest SUV in Indian market currently & it is also Team BHP Car of the Year. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lt-duster.html (The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!))

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
My budget is limited to 2.5 lacs. The following are the vehicles I've looked at.
Hello Aadithsince1980,

In my opinion if your budget is Rs. 2.5 lacs, why go for Cars that are already 12 - 13 years old?

With budget of Rs. 2.5 lacs, you will easily get hatchback manufactured in years 2006 / 2007 / 2008 like Swift, WagonR, Santro, etc. These Car will server you trouble free for atleast next 2 / 3 years.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:50   #6504
BHPian
 
shabash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I understand your passion for Honda CRV. But if your bugdet is Rs. 8 - 10 lacs, rather than going for a 4 year used Honda CRV, why not look at new Renault Duster? Probably for Rs. 11 lacs you will get a chance to own one of the hottest SUV in Indian market currently & it is also Team BHP Car of the Year. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lt-duster.html (The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!))
I thought Duster and CRV are in two different leagues when it comes to power and handling. Also the fact that I can get an automatic in case of CRV works in its favor. I do not have anything against the duster and it is really a good car, but I do not think the two can be compared.
shabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:53   #6505
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 2,585
Thanked: 798 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
I thought Duster and CRV are in two different leagues when it comes to power and handling. Also the fact that I can get an automatic in case of CRV works in its favor. I do not have anything against the duster and it is really a good car, but I do not think the two can be compared.
A CRV with a nice CNG/LPG kit would be a sweet car to own in my view. I think the budget you have in mind is fair to start with. Please go around bargaining real hard - you will find a good deal.
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:07   #6506
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Go with your instinct, pick up the City. The price is that cheap because the 1.3 is an unloved poor cousin of the 1.5/VTEC. Drive the seller down by another 20K, and mod the car.

Maintenance will be reasonable compared to both the Corolla and Sonata, mileage will be a bit more as well. So it won't hurt you to run it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Thanks! Yeah, that's what even I was thinking, if I could bring the seller down to about 1.75 k there's nothing like it! It will be a straight 1L savings (If I did decide to go for the Corolla) that's enough money to put in a whole lot of goodies for the city and some petrol as well The only thing is that it's the 1.3. It should have been a 1.5 at least

Is there a whole load of difference in performance between the 1.3 and 1.5? I know that the 1.3 is 90 bhp and 1.5 is 100 bhp on paper. But is the difference noticeable while driving? I've driven both, but I didn't get a chance to push either to the limit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Hi
my views given in bold. also it would help if you list down what your priorities are to suggest other options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
1 - 2003 Corolla - No comments on price, but have seen single owner 2003 corollas being sold for less than 2.5 lac in Mumbai.

2 - 2000 City 1.3 - 2 lac for a 2000 City that too with a 1.3 engine is too much. Look for a 1.5 or Vtec, you should be able to find one for around 2 lac. If you end up buying a Vtec or 1.5, you'd love the revv happy engine but would hate the handling (after driving a lancer). Finding certain cosmetic bits for City is very difficult (speaking from experience) since it is a discontinued car; no issues with finding mechanical spare parts though.

3 - 2005 Sonata - Avoid it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
I don't know how long you plan keep this buy. City makes no sense to me, it's 13yrs old and 2 owners. Price is ridiculous as well. Among the 3 you listed, sonata seems the best buy. It's a D segment car, and build, fit, finish, power will be much higher than other 2.
Thanks for all your inputs guys. I had a look at a 2002 V Tec last evening. The car had headers done by Raj, K&N intake, tastefully done body kit and 3 alloy wheels The owner said someone robbed one (A statement that I don't believe, guess it must have taken a hit and broken). Anyway, the car drove fine. Tyres need to be replaced. After negotiation he came to 1.8L final. He's the second owner.

Somehow I am still not convinced, so I've decided to wait until sometime next month so that I can muster the finances to buy something better. I guess a budget of 2.5 is too restrictive and I don't want to make a hasty decision and regret later. Hopefully I'll be able to muster the money for a Cedia (My personal fav) by next month Will keep you posted on that.

@harish- I'am not looking for a hatchback (I've owned a Zen in the past). I'am looking for a mod friendly sedan.

Thanks everyone!

Aadith
aadithsince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:26   #6507
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,165
Thanked: 2,933 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
I thought Duster and CRV are in two different leagues when it comes to power and handling. Also the fact that I can get an automatic in case of CRV works in its favor. I do not have anything against the duster and it is really a good car, but I do not think the two can be compared.
8-10L sounds about the right price for the cars you are looking at. CRVs do not really have a great resale value. BTW what about the outlander? I think you might come across some good examples of the same in the above price bracket.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:15   #6508
BHPian
 
shabash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 91
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
BTW what about the outlander? I think you might come across some good examples of the same in the above price bracket.
Outlanders never sold well...especially from the sales figures that I follow in Team-Bhp. So the chance of finding good ones in the market is also feeble. CRV was a best seller until 2009-2010 (read until petrol prices were [somewhat] affordable and cars like Fortuner and XUV 500 were not present). Also I am a bit skeptical about Mitsubishi's service quality and network.
shabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:20   #6509
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,009
Thanked: 2,187 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadithsince1980 View Post
Somehow I am still not convinced, so I've decided to wait until sometime next month so that I can muster the finances to buy something better. I guess a budget of 2.5 is too restrictive and I don't want to make a hasty decision and regret later. Hopefully I'll be able to muster the money for a Cedia (My personal fav) by next month Will keep you posted on that.
How about a baleno or a city that hasn't change too many hands and is in pristine condition for a little more? I would suggest avoiding cars from entirely higher-up segments since the ones that will fall within budget would probably be abused or an extreme pain to upkeep. If you are considering a Cedia, then I think you will have to stretch to 4 since I have mostly seen youngsters who own this car and well, and being 18 years old, I know that we tend to drive our cars less shall we say conservatively :P . So a cedia with a couple of mods and a not repulsive reading of 60-70k on the odo and a seemingly very attractive price of 3-3.5, would probably be a bad buy because that would then demand a driveshaft replacement, cutch etc. All I am trying to say is that if you want to be on the safe side, be realistic and don't buy a model for the cheapest it can bought and especially don't buy one with mods all over the place. otherwise be extremely careful and have your trusted mechanic check the car before you buy one
Good Luck!

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd January 2013 at 15:22.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 16:10   #6510
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: bangalore
Posts: 178
Thanked: 127 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
How about a baleno or a city that hasn't change too many hands and is in pristine condition for a little more? I would suggest avoiding cars from entirely higher-up segments since the ones that will fall within budget would probably be abused or an extreme pain to upkeep. If you are considering a Cedia, then I think you will have to stretch to 4 since I have mostly seen youngsters who own this car and well, and being 18 years old, I know that we tend to drive our cars less shall we say conservatively :P . So a cedia with a couple of mods and a not repulsive reading of 60-70k on the odo and a seemingly very attractive price of 3-3.5, would probably be a bad buy because that would then demand a driveshaft replacement, cutch etc. All I am trying to say is that if you want to be on the safe side, be realistic and don't buy a model for the cheapest it can bought and especially don't buy one with mods all over the place. otherwise be extremely careful and have your trusted mechanic check the car before you buy one
Good Luck!

Thanks for the input. What I actually have in mind is a car that can give me the best of both worlds. I've passed the racer-boy stage (Owned a rally prep Esteem, Drag spec Zen in the past). Now me and by better half have just added a bundle of joy to our family
So, the car should be both comfortable and fun to drive. A friend of mine owns a Corolla which has very subtle mods that include Headers (Mild tone). CAI and a neat set of alloys. That's exactly what I'am looking for in a car, which is why I am giving the Cedia and Corolla a serious thought!

Cheers!
aadithsince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6072 29th November 2016 17:34
Online Seat Color selection tool by "Katzkin" alexpaul Modifications & Accessories 0 7th April 2011 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks