Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 23:01   #7471
BHPian
 
evoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Cross Posting from another thread.
I am on the look-out for a used Scorpio and after multiple tries, found one with the below details.
Year: 2009 March
Vlx mHawk 2.2 CRDe BSIII 2WD
Black Color
61500 kms done
Last service done with Odo at 57,000 odd kms (The 60,000 major service was done)
Insurance valid till May - 2014
Tyres changed 7000 kms ago (8 months ago) - Bridgestone Duelers HT
Full service record available and cross checked with Mahindra
No major work carried out through out the schedule
No claims in the insurance
The engine feels smooth and no noticeable issues / niggles
First Owner
Asking price: 8,15,000 (I am aware that this is probably on the higher side, but considering the chances of finding a clean vehicle, I don't mind spending a little extra as long as I get the peace of mind)

What do you guys think? Is this a good deal or is the price very high? I am moving to Scorpio from a Civic. So this will be my first Mahindra as well as my first SUV. Pls help in listing out the specifics that I need to look out for before finalizing the vehicle. I am currently reading the various ownership reports and other threads on our forum to understand the vehicle better but any quick advise from you guys will be very helpful in closing the deal before it gets sold to someone else.
evoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 10:48   #7472
BHPian
 
powertrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 559
Thanked: 356 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
Vlx mHawk 2.2 CRDe BSIII 2WD
Black Color
61500 kms done
Last service done with Odo at 57,000 odd kms (The 60,000 major service was done)
Insurance valid till May - 2014
Tyres changed 7000 kms ago (8 months ago) - Bridgestone Duelers HT
Full service record available and cross checked with Mahindra
No major work carried out through out the schedule
No claims in the insurance
The engine feels smooth and no noticeable issues / niggles
First Owner
Asking price: 8,15,000
Hello Evoque,
On the face of it, it seems like a safe car to bet on. Is it overpriced? Yes,but that's a premium that I'll be willing to pay anytime,due to the fact that this car carries a full service history.
To be on a safer side, check the owner's manual. There might be a table containing what checks to be carried at what intervals & which parts needs to be changed at what intervals. See if all of it has been carried out.
Generally it is after 75K's that parts starts to get replaced. Do bear that in mind.

Regards,
Varun
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 11:08   #7473
BHPian
 
evoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello Evoque,
On the face of it, it seems like a safe car to bet on. Is it overpriced? Yes,but that's a premium that I'll be willing to pay anytime,due to the fact that this car carries a full service history.
To be on a safer side, check the owner's manual. There might be a table containing what checks to be carried at what intervals & which parts needs to be changed at what intervals. See if all of it has been carried out.
Generally it is after 75K's that parts starts to get replaced. Do bear that in mind.

Regards,
Varun
Hi Varun,
Thank you for the response. I am planning to push a little further and close the deal at 8.0 L. As you know, the thread on scorpio niggles in one long thread and I am not even half-way through it yet. The reason for asking here specifically is because there might be a lot of niggles / issues that might be very prevalent and I probably cannot wait till I finish reading the thread

It is a good point that it is after 75K that parts start to get replaced but as per Mahindra, the clutch and disk rotors / pads have already been replaced as part of service schedule and the next major service is only at 80K kms.
To be honest, I might not keep this car for more than a year / 18 months and it is very little chance that I will cover 20K kms in that time. It is majorly due to bad roads in my current route that I am looking for the Scorpio.
Due to these reasons, I am tilting very much in favor of picking it up. Do let me know if you have any pointers to add
evoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 12:46   #7474
BHPian
 
powertrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 559
Thanked: 356 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
I am moving to Scorpio from a Civic. So this will be my first Mahindra as well as my first SUV. Pls help in listing out the specifics that I need to look out for before finalizing the vehicle.
Hello Evoque,
Do you mind sharing with us,as to why you are moving from a Civic to Scorpio? Your needs & requirements?
It will help us in suggesting you the right option.

Regards,
Varun
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 13:33   #7475
BHPian
 
evoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello Evoque,
Do you mind sharing with us,as to why you are moving from a Civic to Scorpio? Your needs & requirements?
It will help us in suggesting you the right option.

Regards,
Varun
Hi Varun,

Due to a recent change in Office and Home location, my daily drive to office now consists of some "very" bad roads (even when compared to Bangalore standards) and my Civic has been taking a beating.
My biggest requirement right now is High GC, diesel engine (can't have two petrol cars), torquey engine with little turbo lag, (for the bumper to bumper traffic) and reasonably cheap to maintain. Mostly (95%) city drives. I have a Polo as well but that is not at all made for the bad roads.

I was initially considering of selling both the Civic and Polo to buy an XUV. But most t-bhpians advised me against doing this and asked me not to give up the Civic for the meagre price that it commands in the used car market. At this point I saw a used Scoripo and that is when I realized I could keep the Civic if I get a used Scorpio and the search began.

Hope this is enough information. Do let me know if you need to know anything else.
evoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 20:01   #7476
BHPian
 
powertrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 559
Thanked: 356 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
Hi Varun,

Due to a recent change in Office and Home location, my daily drive to office now consists of some "very" bad roads (even when compared to Bangalore standards) and my Civic has been taking a beating.
My biggest requirement right now is High GC, diesel engine (can't have two petrol cars), torquey engine with little turbo lag, (for the bumper to bumper traffic) and reasonably cheap to maintain. Mostly (95%) city drives. I have a Polo as well but that is not at all made for the bad roads.
Hello Evoque,
As far as I understand, you need a Scorpio to tackle bad roads,right?
May I suggest a worthy alternative? How about an SX4 Diesel?!
I presume you are not going to travel with 5-8 passengers or going to load up the boot frequently,right? Then why go for an SUV??

The SX4 is a great no-nonsense car.I own one too.It has the highest GC, has Maruti reliability & will give you better mileage figures. And it might be cheaper to buy too!!! A win-win situation.
Check out this link :-http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...i-sx4-D451900/

Note - Let me tell you that I'm no way related to this ad. Please go ahead at your risks. I'm merely suggesting you an alternative.

I hope I've not confused you more!!!
Regards,
Varun

Last edited by GTO : 14th June 2013 at 17:32. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 20:40   #7477
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 61
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
I am moving to Scorpio from a Civic. So this will be my first Mahindra as well as my first SUV.
I would urge you to take a longish test drive of the vehicle and be absolutely convinced that the transition from Civic to Scorpio will not be too much of a challenge. Don't mean to worry you, just wanna make sure you don't have any regrets later on, given the huge difference between both cars' handling requirements. Once you are absolutely certain, try and get a car with some warranty coverage (dealer or aftermarket).

BTW Powertrain's suggestion above on the SX4 is not without merit.

Last edited by Agarwaka : 12th June 2013 at 20:42.
Agarwaka is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 21:04   #7478
BHPian
 
evoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello Evoque,
As far as I understand, you need a Scorpio to tackle bad roads,right?
May I suggest a worthy alternative? How about an SX4 Diesel?!
I presume you are not going to travel with 5-8 passengers or going to load up the boot frequently,right? Then why go for an SUV??

The SX4 is a great no-nonsense car.I own one too.It has the highest GC, has Maruti reliability & will give you better mileage figures. And it might be cheaper to buy too!!! A win-win situation.
Check out this link :-http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...i-sx4-D451900/

Note - Let me tell you that I'm no way related to this ad. Please go ahead at your risks. I'm merely suggesting you an alternative.

I hope I've not confused you more!!!
Regards,
Varun
Hi Varun,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. The strangest thing is that the SX4 ad that you have suggested is actually available at the same dealer that I am considering the Scorpio from and I have already test driven it too (for a friend though).

I really mean no offence to the current owners (including and especially you) but somehow I am not a big fan of the SX4. I have considered one around 2 years ago (in Petrol) but then went and got a Civic. The Civic has definitely spoilt me in terms of comfort and the overall driving experience. So, maybe SX4 is not an option for me right now.
Also, I don't think it makes sense to keep two sedans at once just for the higher GC. That way, SUV can offer a completely different perspective (literally) and driving experience and also will be used for the bad highway road trips once in a while right?
evoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 21:05   #7479
BHPian
 
aviorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 421
Thanked: 594 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoque View Post
I am on the look-out for a used Scorpio and after multiple tries, found one with the below details... I am currently reading the various ownership reports and other threads on our forum to understand the vehicle better..
Is this from a dealer or a direct buy?

Check these with a local mech, if you haven't already : (even though it was serviced recently)

1. Battery - OEM is Exide (the one that comes with the car). Check if its replaced/swapped with some other brand.
2. Engine oil, Coolant, Clutch & Brake Fluid, condition of the air filter/fuel filter
3. Life of the brake pads-rear break liners. They are expensive

Try negotiating to 7.75. Good luck
aviorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 21:07   #7480
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,593
Thanked: 4,504 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post

Hello Evoque,

The SX4 is a great no-nonsense car.I own one too.It has the highest GC, has Maruti reliability & will give you better mileage figures. And it might be cheaper to buy too!!! A win-win situation.
Check out this link :-http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...i-sx4-D451900/

Note - Let me tell you that I'm no way related to this ad. Please go ahead at your risks. I'm merely suggesting you an alternative.

I hope I've not confused you more!!!
Regards,
Varun
SX4 Diesels are not really quite so cheap mate.
However, it is a superb recommendation because it is a far better and much more refined and comfortable vehicle to drive daily than a Scorpio.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 09:41   #7481
BHPian
 
evoque's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 45
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarwaka View Post
I would urge you to take a longish test drive of the vehicle and be absolutely convinced that the transition from Civic to Scorpio will not be too much of a challenge. Don't mean to worry you, just wanna make sure you don't have any regrets later on, given the huge difference between both cars' handling requirements. Once you are absolutely certain, try and get a car with some warranty coverage (dealer or aftermarket).

BTW Powertrain's suggestion above on the SX4 is not without merit.
Hi Agarwaka,

Thank you and I completely agree with your suggestion. I am going to ask the dealer to arrange for a longish test drive in multiple conditions. It is much better than realizing 5 days after buying it that it's not how I expected it to be on bad roads. About getting a car with warranty coverage, the price quotes for 2011 vlx Scorpio's are in the range of 10.5 L which again makes me think I'll stretch a little more and go for the XUV instead, and it becomes a completely different story (as my previous post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Is this from a dealer or a direct buy?

Check these with a local mech, if you haven't already : (even though it was serviced recently)

1. Battery - OEM is Exide (the one that comes with the car). Check if its replaced/swapped with some other brand.
2. Engine oil, Coolant, Clutch & Brake Fluid, condition of the air filter/fuel filter
3. Life of the brake pads-rear break liners. They are expensive

Try negotiating to 7.75. Good luck
Hi aviorp,
This is from a dealer. Thank you for the pointers on what to check. I will do so with my trusted mechanic right away.
My first quote was 7.5 and tried my best to close it at 7.75. The negotiation is with the owner directly and not the dealer. Considering full service history, insurance with 11 months left, new seat covers and impeccable condition, the owner is very confident about his vehicle fetching 8.2. He finally agreed for 8.0 and I somehow don't want to give this vehicle up for the 25k difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
SX4 Diesels are not really quite so cheap mate.
However, it is a superb recommendation because it is a far better and much more refined and comfortable vehicle to drive daily than a Scorpio.
I agree. As cheap as SX4 Petrols are in the used car market, the diesels continue to command a premium. Pls do refer to my previous post regarding the other points against SX4 in my case. Does it make sense?
evoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 15:50   #7482
BHPian
 
Slick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

2007 Nov Swift VXI petrol cost,
Done 75000 Genuine kms,
Serviced only at Maruti Service
Full Service history available.
The car has no serious scratches or rattles/vibrations and the engine seems nice.
Driven Single-handedly (Claimed)

How much should the above car cost?

Thanks,
Slick
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 15:56   #7483
BHPian
 
powertrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 559
Thanked: 356 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
2007 Nov Swift VXI petrol cost,
Done 75000 Genuine kms,
Serviced only at Maruti Service
Full Service history available.
How much should the above car cost?
Hello Slick,
Around 2-2.25L is what I would pay for this car. Nothing above it. BTW, how much is the seller quoting? Do check for accident history.

Regards,
Varun
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 16:32   #7484
Senior - BHPian
 
Jignesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 927 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
2007 Nov Swift VXI petrol. Done 75000 Genuine kms. Serviced only at Maruti Service. Full Service history available.
Hello Slick,

I will not valuate this car more than Rs. 2 lacs, as it has already done 75,000 kms & second tyre change will be almost due. Also many other things like Clutch assembly will have to be changed soon.

Further I will suggest to look for used cars that have done less than 50,000 kms.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 16:33   #7485
BHPian
 
Slick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

^ Thanks @powertrain,

He's quoting 2.5 and suggested 2.45 as what he can come down to,
I think 2.3 should be good a good deal,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Slick,

I will not valuate this car more than Rs. 2 lacs, as it has already done 75,000 kms & second tyre change will be almost due. Also many other things like Clutch assembly will have to be changed soon.

Further I will suggest to look for used cars that have done less than 50,000 kms.

Thanks,
Thanks, @Jignesh, The tyres are new, I am taking a mech to see the car.

Yes, I am still on the look out for lesser KM cars.

Thanks,
Slick

Last edited by Slick : 13th June 2013 at 16:36.
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6097 6th December 2016 00:24
Online Seat Color selection tool by "Katzkin" alexpaul Modifications & Accessories 0 7th April 2011 19:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks