Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your vote for the Team-BHP Car Of The Year 2010?
Maruti Wagon R 11 1.12%
Chevrolet Beat 30 3.06%
Ford Figo 375 38.30%
Nissan Micra 13 1.33%
Volkswagen Polo 101 10.32%
Toyota Etios 75 7.66%
Volkswagen Vento 140 14.30%
Tata Aria 130 13.28%
Skoda Yeti 25 2.55%
BMW X1 31 3.17%
BMW 5 Series F10 28 2.86%
Mahindra Thar 20 2.04%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31st December 2010, 18:38   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Figo is the Team-BHP Car Of The Year 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Congrats Ford and all Figo owners!

GTO, one request, can we have the Ford Figo on the Team-BHP header above 'SEARCH TEAM-BHP'? The Figo really deserves it.
+1 for that, I agree, figo should indeed be up there with the i20, nano and so on.
Figo has really changed the way many people looked at ford!
Old 1st January 2011, 01:06   #212
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP Car Of The Year 2010. EDIT : It's the Ford Figo!

Is it only me that thinks that this poll is silly?

For starters, you have some cars like the Tata Aria and the Mahindra Thar which are barely out yet (in relative terms).

Now that the Ford Figo has beaten all the other cars of 2011, can someone do a comprehensive analysis and articulate the reasons why exactly this car won over all the other contenders?
Old 1st January 2011, 01:35   #213
BHPian

On revisiting this topic subsequent to my previous post, I think what I would be most interested in, especially if I was a car manufacturer, are the number of initial ownership threads for each brand/ model in 2010 and the subsequent buzz it generated on Team-BHP.

Now I do understand that some like the Mahindra Thar may miss out, but it won't matter much because we all know that the Thar was released in the fag-end of 2010 and this is a crucial flaw with all such time-bound contests just like the Oscars.

But what I would like to know is what excites our members so much that they put out an initial ownership report, which let's not kid, expends a considerable amount of time and energy.

On the same topic, I would also like to see Team-BHP to nominate the best threads of 2010.

Last edited by nowwhat? : 1st January 2011 at 01:37.
Old 1st January 2011, 01:35   #214
BHPian

Default Re: Team-BHP Car Of The Year 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post

For starters, you have some cars like the Tata Aria and the Mahindra Thar which are barely out yet (in relative terms).

Now that the Ford Figo has beaten all the other cars of 2011, can someone do a comprehensive analysis and articulate the reasons why exactly this car won over all the other contenders?
Its not exactly what you'r looking for, but this might help -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nearly 1,000 BHPians have decided that the Ford Figo is indeed the Team-BHP Car of the Year 2010. Capturing 38.30% of the poll, the Figo garnered even more votes than rank no. 2, 3 and 4 combined. The all-roundedness of the car, along with a VFM price tag, really did it for the Figo. It's time Ford brings out a Figo 1.6S variant....just for the enthusiasts. Then, the lineup will be complete.

It's not surprising to see the Vento at the no.2 slot. Another all-rounded car that is priced well (crucially, below the Honda City); great looks, stonking diesel engine, spacious interiors and balanced ride & handling. The Aria made us all proud in terms of Tata's engineering prowess. Equally, the marketing department's pricing strategy let me down. Heck, they nearly did a "Honda Jazz". The Polo would have surely done better if it weren't for the 3 cylinder engines.

Congrats to Ford. Job well done.
Quote:
I actually had to spend some time thinking between:

- The Ford Figo : Right car at the right price. Entered a domain dominated by Maruti, Hyundai & Tata, and gave them a tough fight. Emerged as a highly successful car. No real deal breaker with the product, it's well-rounded. The diesel is the undoubted pick.

- Toyota Etios : A sedan that beats the Dzire at its own game. Spacious, torquey petrol, safe ride & handling and the "T" badge for 5 - 6 lakhs.

- VW Vento : The only sedan that can challenge the Honda City's 13 year hold on the C+ segment. Priced well for a European, good build, excellent ride & handling and a stunning diesel engine.

- Tata Aria : A giant leap ahead for Tata in terms of product engineering. However, an equally large step behind in terms of VFM...something that Tata has always stood for.

In the end, I have to pick the Figo...Ford pulled off a master-class move in the hatchback segment. Evidently, the market seems to agree too.

I think Figo is right to win this poll as it is one of the best VFM diesel available (I think its top model is even cheaper than vista's top!).

Its cheaper than most available hatches in its class without being inferior, so its cheap but not "cheap". Confused yet?
Old 1st January 2011, 08:56   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But what I would like to know is what excites our members so much that they put out an initial ownership report, which let's not kid, expends a considerable amount of time and energy.

On the same topic, I would also like to see Team-BHP to nominate the best threads of 2010.
Its the joy of buying a new car and the excitement. It is but human to share the joy with like minded others, more to do with psychology, but why do you want to know that? If someone were to come up with the analysis, which lets not kid, takes considerable amount of time, how would you justify the person's investment in time?

The same applies to the best threads too, it is kind of ironical that you found this poll silly and you want another such poll.

happy new year
Old 1st January 2011, 11:16   #216
Senior - BHPian

One more point I would like to add is-
I see
11 votes for WagonR
30 votes for Beat
13 for Micra
and a Shocking 101 for Polo.

My best guess these are from the owners mainly.
But with Figo I see a lot of guys with a different car voting for it.
No I didnt. After a huge confusion btwn Figo(D) and Vento(D) I voted for the Vento(D)
Old 1st January 2011, 13:37   #217
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry if you found the post silly. However, to us, it is a VERY important democratic poll. This is a community of informed car enthusiasts and owners choosing the most relevant / important launch of the year. For the record, the Nano was our COTY last year.

Quote:
I think what I would be most interested in, especially if I was a car manufacturer
Our content's primary purpose is to serve enthusiasts & owners. We don't post anything from the manufacturer's interest POV. Of course, if they take feedback (especially on the negative stuff), that's all the more better for us and the industry at large.

Quote:
Surprising you should say that on a forum which is built on the premise of knowledge sharing. Team-BHP educates the Indian car enthusiast more than any other freely available medium, and on every conceivable subject relevant to the Indian car scene. Again, this community's founding principle is to share unbiased information on the Indian car scene.

The reason we like to share ownership reports is:

- To add to the definitive knowledgebase on Indian cars

- Because we believe that knowledge is worthless unless its shared

- We know that 1.2 million monthly visitors stand to benefit from our honest opinions

- We love being in the company of Indian petrolheads, and enjoy sharing valuable information with one another. It's like a family we have onboard here. I, for one, do care about what others have to say on my threads

- Because we don't believe in merely taking. This community has helped me - as an enthusiast & car owner - innumerable times. We like to GIVE back in our own little way.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2011 at 13:39.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:58   #218
Senior - BHPian

GTO,
I think the Manza should have made it to the list.
Old 1st January 2011, 18:02   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
GTO,
I think the Manza should have made it to the list.
Manza was in last year's COTY.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tata-nano.html (Team-BHP Car of the Year 2009 EDIT : The Tata Nano it is!)
Old 1st January 2011, 18:58   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nearly 1,000 BHPians have decided that the Ford Figo is indeed the Team-BHP Car of the Year 2010. Capturing 38.30% of the poll, the Figo garnered even more votes than rank no. 2, 3 and 4 combined.
A truely deserved spot for the Figo. And a great move by Ford!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
A 60bhp commuter car that sells well doesn't cut it to be on the Team-BHP header.
Disagree with this statement. Not sure if that should be (or is) a criteria. In that case some of the current displays will not make it there. Agree with GTO that only special / truely deserving cars should cut to that space. And the models in there were special in some way or other, at the time they got launched.
Old 1st January 2011, 19:34   #221

Thumbs up Re: Team-BHP Car Of The Year 2010. EDIT : It's the Ford Figo!

Congrats to Ford..!! They have indeed come up with the game-changer..

This was a segment where they never-ever had had a representation and now, they've got the ICOTY challenging the rest of the pack..!! They seriously seem to mean business now..!!
Old 1st January 2011, 20:55   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
A 60bhp commuter car that sells well doesn't cut it to be on the Team-BHP header.
yeah it also has to be a sales failure
Old 1st January 2011, 20:57   #223
BHPian

Quote:
....forum which is built on the premise of knowledge sharing. Team-BHP educates the Indian car enthusiast more than any other freely available medium, and on every conceivable subject relevant to the Indian car scene. Again, this community's founding principle is to share unbiased information on the Indian car scene.

The reason we like to share ownership reports is:

- To add to the definitive knowledgebase on Indian cars

- Because we believe that knowledge is worthless unless its shared

- We know that 1.2 million monthly visitors stand to benefit from our honest opinions

- We love being in the company of Indian petrolheads, and enjoy sharing valuable information with one another. It's like a family we have onboard here. I, for one, do care about what others have to say on my threads

- Because we don't believe in merely taking. This community has helped me - as an enthusiast & car owner - innumerable times. We like to GIVE back in our own little way.
Honestly I plead each and every member please never to forget these words

and may I suggest we take personal pledge to upheld these values

Cheers
Old 1st January 2011, 21:44   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
A truely deserved spot for the Figo. And a great move by Ford!

Disagree with this statement. Not sure if that should be (or is) a criteria. In that case some of the current displays will not make it there. Agree with GTO that only special / truely deserving cars should cut to that space. And the models in there were special in some way or other, at the time they got launched.
after reading this statement, im starting to think that figo isnt really special enough to be above the header (contradictory to my earlier statement). It may be a brilliant vfm car, but we have to agree that at the end of the day its based on the old gen fiesta hatch, however, if ford had built this hatch from scratch, it may have had that "special" appeal and more so if it had a sports option of 1.6 litre engine!

This doesnt mean that figo is in any way inferior and it may actually be "better" in some perspectives to the cars which are displayed above the header now, its just that it just doesnt feel so fresh and special as lets say the latest fiesta hatch might have been!

Btw, I may be terribly wrong here as I dont know what the criteria for those special cars are, but this is just what I am starting to think.
Old 1st January 2011, 22:25   #225
BHPian

Well for once a vote did matter in India!! But i guess The figo is a very deserving candidate for the award. Hope ford does such brilliant stuff again and release more good cars in india. BTW My own Figo is going to be booked in this festive season of Jan!
Closed Thread