Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th December 2005, 18:58   #1
BHPian

Default Lamborghini to be launched in India

Hi guys,

Stumbled on this when was checking the news..... Lambo's coming into India.. Personally, I don't think they'll have much success since Indian roads aren't really good enough to handle supercars...

Anyway, here's the link -
http://www.samachar.com/showurl.htm?...to~enter~India
vinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 19:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its just great so many supercars are officially gettin launched in India...Its just great to even see these cars here on these roads.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 20:08   #3
BHPian

Its a great news that Lambo is going to come here officially. It will be great to see these cars on indian roads.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 20:45   #4
M66
BHPian

Vinod - I can see why you would be skeptical, but I really don't think you have any idea of the Indian Buyers mentality (No offence)

People here are competing against each other to outdo one another and flaunt their wealth. People in India are more about new money rather than old money and that section wants to flaunt their wealth like theres no tomorrow.
One more factor in India is the fact that the people who buy such high end cars have a driving force behind them - the young entepreneurs.
The only low point IMO is the potential still hasn't matured. In our eyes, Ferraris are looked upon as the be all and end all. I know people who can probably afford these cars and whenever this argument comes up they always say a Ferrari is a Ferrari even when comparing the 575M to the Murci.
M66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 20:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

First launch good roads!!! Then get the cars, my trip to Cochin took 12 hours instead of 8 due to bad roads and thick traffic. A Lambo would have been scraped and creamed!!!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 20:52   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

"Grover said the target was to sell about two to three units of Gallardo in the next year. "
Thats a rather small target to meet. I am sure atleast 3 will get sold in bombay itself. And Delhi sales could be higher due to the showy attitude amongst some delhites(sorry i dont mean to be offensive)
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 20:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Some reasons why Lamborgini will not sell in India:

1. Average kitna milega?

2. Guys, you will see this only in India. A chauffer driven Lamborgini!

3. What? No back seat for memsaheb and saheb? How will they look out with pride towards their neighbours?

4. Maintainence bahut zyada hai.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 21:13   #8
M66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit

1. Average kitna milega?

3. What? No back seat for memsaheb and saheb? How will they look out with pride towards their neighbours?

1). In the segment above the E-Class or maybe S-Class people really aren't looking at Average. I mean your already getting around 4-5 avg so I really don't think the Lamborghinis will be much worse than that.

2). That you may be true, but that too only when children are involved. I remember I used to take my chauffeur when I couldn't drive.

3). In India, in the price range above 1 crore, people are looking for flashy cars. I really don't think a 4 door car for more than 1 crore would count as that.

4). Do you really think people care about maintanence when they are already paying more than double what you get in the rest of the world? We are paying literally Maybach/RR/575/Murci money for a car that is costing most of the rest less than half.

I'm sorry but I really take offence that people are basing all this on biased views while living abroad.
M66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 21:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats great news. I thought Ferrari will get here first. Lambo can use Audi's dealer network. Might have to raise the suspension a bit, but that's OK....coz like someone said its all about flaunting...none of these cars are going to be driven to even half their potential.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 21:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

lambo like the mclaren and some super cars are rear engine cars.. Most of them are also air cooled.. the faster you go the more the air intake into the engine bay.. in India.. looking at all the traffic the owner should be happy he can get off second gear.. and we will definately see a lot of steaming lambos and even more owners.. either the lambo has to be released with liquid cooled engines or the owners take out the cars in dead of night when he can actually give the car some space to move.. correct me if i am wrong..

Last edited by Domnic : 25th December 2005 at 23:46.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 21:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

For now Lambo is just getting the Gallardo. I guess they should see sale of more than 3 Gallardos as they have predicted.

On the points mentioned by amit :

1) I have seen people ask that question but its usually just the onlookers. i really dont feel buyers of such cars would be bothered about FE

2) True. We already have one Gallardo in Mumbai driven by a chauffeur taking the kids for a joy ride though things will change as the kids get older.

3) same as the answer by ///M

4) I really dont think people who have the money to buy these will have issues with the up keep of these cars.

Lamborghini may not be as as successful as Porsche is today in the market but I dont see them doing that bad either. Lambo has definately studied the market and the buying power before taking a call to take the plunge. Of course Porsche have the 'SUV', the Cayenne in its line up which is mainly responsible for its Indian success. And Porsches are much much more practical cars than any Ferrari or Lambo IMO.

So lets just wait and watch
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 22:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit

1. Average kitna milega?

It will be more like "Average Kitna litres/mile"
oldmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2005, 22:47   #13
BHPian

Even with good roads here in singapore i think supercars cant make it...just too many darn traffic lights...will be a christmas miracle if u can pass 2nd in a lambo or 3rd in a modena...

Yeah its true for guy from india its just to flaunt their wealth....but i happen to know a guy livin in india....has a diablo VT, F430, skyline GTR33, BMW M3...but all of em in aussie...he flies over once a month just to drive em...

And here his is quote....' If only lambos had a soul...they would commit suicide on indian roads' And i am not going to kill them!
deftones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 00:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Godfather, almost all modern engines for cars are liquid cooled. No way an 8000 rpm V12 can be air cooled. It's just that the radiators need a lot of air!

Any idea how I can arrange a test drive of one of these cars?!

Last edited by v1p3r : 26th December 2005 at 00:44.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2005, 00:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

v1p3r this is the info i have about the air intakes of the lamborghini

The external body panels are made form carbon fibre, with the exception of the steel roof and door panels. The rear of the car features two 'active intakes' for the engine cooling air. The exclusive VACS (Variable Air-flow Cooling System) allows the aperture of the air intakes to be varied to suit the driving conditions.

Normally, high performance sports cars require a cooling system that can respond to the maximum cooling requirements of the engine. In a conventional fixed system, these air intakes require dimensions to suit the most extreme operating conditions, which means the air intakes are made too large for average use and thereby comprising the car's aerodynamic characteristics and performance. The Variable Air-flow Cooling System (VACS) allows the aperture of the air intakes to be altered to suit the cooling requirements of the engine and external air temperature. Thus, the car's aerodynamic characteristics are only compromised when necessary
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote