Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2011, 20:12   #106
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 41
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

NOM to Maruti fans here but I keep wondering about the figures of Swift and Wagon R. Swift is common like how the Pulsars were in 05-06. A person on a Luna would rather get noticed than a person driving a Swift ..How can somebody even now pick up something which is so common :|..
The styling ( exteriors) of the new Wagon-R suck in my opinion, but still its logged in so many numbers. The only thing which keeps the Janta choosing Maruti is the brand factor and the A.S.S nothing else, their styling/design is sad in all aspects. Engine performance is good, thanks to the Fiat MJD's. Maruti just knows to make good floor mats and mud flops!! Pardon my ignorance regarding the K-Series engines, I have never driven them but i've heard they're responsive, FE and powerful too.

I really dont understand how on earth did someone come up with a design like the Dzire. Its such a disgrace. I'm sure the German's and Italian's have ordered a car each to keep it in their museum under the name tag "blunders in design".

Really saddened to see the figures of Fiat. Inspite of the T-jet's launched the Linea stands nowhere upto the mark. Figo was another surprise, a true VFM car. Fords A.S.S also is been really good, atleast in Bangalore. Waiting desperately for the new Fiesta to hit the streets, boy-o-boy it looks neat ..

The Tata's are doing all types of nautanki's ( offers ) to boost up the sales of Nano. The sight of Nano's pics in papers in flames used to be scary.

Micra in my opinion is a girly car, dunno why but it dint appeal much to me :(.

I have no idea why the Mitsuibishi is pricing the EVO so high, its never gonna appeal to the people unless for some rich speed freaks. I never expected it to be more than 15 lakhs but grrrr it goes beyond 25 i guess. A person would rather pick up an A4, 3 Series or C class for that money.

In the coming year the cars which might be in news for sales figures are the Etios hatch ( Liva i guess) and the Honda Brio . Coming to Bikes CBR 250 for an ex-showroom of 1.5 lacs sounds tempting

Last edited by GTO : 5th January 2011 at 10:04. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please
Hammy is offline  
Old 4th January 2011, 20:15   #107
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*Update*

Maruti added to the opening post
Everything that Maruti makes in the hatch segment turns into gold and sells very well. Some emerge as winners. Take the Ritz- an extremely ugly looking and eccentrically designed car as per my perception. Maybe its looks appeals to many! My apologies to them for playing with their sentiments! These are termed as CUB's (Cheap Ugly Boxes in the West).I am sure that had the same Ritz been a GM or a Fiat or a Tata model, the sales would not have been half as much! So after all Maruti as a brand name has a tremendous appeal.
anjan_c2007 is online now  
Old 4th January 2011, 20:40   #108
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,062
Thanked: 15,597 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Everything that Maruti makes in the hatch segment turns into gold and sells very well. Some emerge as winners. Take the Ritz- an extremely ugly looking and eccentrically designed car as per my perception. Maybe its looks appeals to many! My apologies to them for playing with their sentiments! These are termed as CUB's (Cheap Ugly Boxes in the West).I am sure that had the same Ritz been a GM or a Fiat or a Tata model, the sales would not have been half as much! So after all Maruti as a brand name has a tremendous appeal.

So with Maruti's sales plugged in, seems like it is holding ~48 - 49 % of the market share in this segment. Good going for maruti.

cheers!
volkman10 is offline  
Old 4th January 2011, 21:06   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,633
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
NOM to Maruti fans here but I keep wondering about the figures of Swift and Wagon R. Swift is common like how the Pulsars were in 05-06. A person on a Luna would rather get noticed than a person driving a Swift ..How can somebody even now pick up something which is so common :|..
The styling ( exteriors) of the new Wagon-R suck in my opinion, but still its logged in so many numbers. The only thing which keeps the Janta choosing Maruti is the brand factor and the A.S.S nothing else, their styling/design is sad in all aspects. Engine performance is good, thanks to the Fiat MJD's. Maruti just knows to make good floor mats and mud flops!! Pardon my ignorance regarding the K-Series engines, I have never driven them but i've heard they're responsive, FE and powerful too.

I really dont understand how on earth did someone come up with a design like the Dzire. Its such a disgrace. I'm sure the German's and Italian's have ordered a car each to keep it in their museum under the name tag "blunders in design".

I agree Swift is very common on roads. But what about i10? Honda City? Innova? Santro? Why don't you wonder this much about these cars that why one should buy such a common car?

And you think Wagon-R is selling because of Fiat engine? Just keep in mind that WR doesn't have a Diesel engine.

Total domestic car sales for Maruti in a year is around 10 lakhs, in which the Diesel sales are around a maximum of 2.5 lakhs. The remaining 7.5 lakhs are their own Petrol engines only. Then why praise Fiat so much?

Only a fool about car industry can say that a car company which sells about 50% of cars in India is good in making floor mats and door mats only.
romeomidhun is online now  
Old 4th January 2011, 21:48   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,367
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Still no details on BMW ? Audi ?

FIAT is really shocking as are Figo's numbers but the real zinger is the NANO !

500 to 5000 in 30 days?? How ?? Wouldn't FIAT guys sitting in the same showroom want the secret ?

Fishy ? Perhaps, who knows.
normally_crazy is offline  
Old 4th January 2011, 22:14   #111
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,927
Thanked: 3,435 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Well, you could have arm-twisted the dealer for maximum discounts/freebies for the Titanium with the red dashboard, simply because you were being forced to take a car with a red dashboard, much against your choice. Armed with all those discounts/freebies, you could have then have bought a dashboard cover to conceal the "hideous coral dash". It could well have been a win-win situation for everyone.

I have been surprised by the low figures of the Figo, especially at a time when the Figo was declared the Car-of-the-Year 2011 as well as being adjudged Team-BHP Car of the Year 2010.

I feel that Fiat should say ta ta to Tata, stop selling Fiat cars in India and instead, primarily focus on their award-winning engines, which can then be sold to other car manufactures. In that way, Fiat will not need to invest in showrooms, dealers, service centres and multiple sales/marketing/administrative teams. People seem to love Fiat engines, not Fiat cars.
No offense to coral dash lovers, but I'd rather not have a car than have that coral thingy on it, no matter what incentives are offered. I'd rather wait/pay extra to get what I exactly want than get a discount on something I detest. Moreover, it's dad's car so the final call was his, not mine.



Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Still no details on BMW ? Audi ?

FIAT is really shocking as are Figo's numbers but the real zinger is the NANO !

500 to 5000 in 30 days?? How ?? Wouldn't FIAT guys sitting in the same showroom want the secret ?

Fishy ? Perhaps, who knows.
Tata are pulling out all stops to promote the Nano. The extended standard warranty and specialized loan offers are helping a lot.

Not something that FIAT can implement, I believe. They can't afford to go the Nano way with Punto/Linea.
Chetan_Rao is online now  
Old 4th January 2011, 22:28   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 288 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Well, you could have arm-twisted the dealer for maximum discounts/freebies for the Titanium with the red dashboard, simply because you were being forced to take a car with a red dashboard, much against your choice. Armed with all those discounts/freebies, you could have then have bought a dashboard cover to conceal the "hideous coral dash". It could well have been a win-win situation for everyone.
replacing the dash in titanium figo would cost a lakh as it has airbags!! so it is not a win-win sorry for
anilisanil is offline  
Old 4th January 2011, 22:33   #113
Newbie
 
arnold991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: India's Heart
Posts: 20
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Maybe the December effect ! but it appears that Etios' mega publicity campaigns have badly hit Figo.Not sure about Fiat,but its Barakhamba Road,New Delhi Showroom has been closed !
arnold991 is offline  
Old 4th January 2011, 22:42   #114
Senior - BHPian
 
YC.BALENO.CHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,089
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold991 View Post
Maybe the December effect ! but it appears that Etios' mega publicity campaigns have badly hit Figo.Not sure about Fiat,but its Barakhamba Road,New Delhi Showroom has been closed !

How can a campaign hit Figo alone?? Also, Figo belongs to a different segment. It may have been due to publicity if the sales of Dzire would had shown a decline but Figo?? Do not think so.

As for FIAT, really a pity. So many engine options and variants and Linea & Punto being modern automobiles in every sense and still they are struggling.

Seems like TATA-FIAT JV is working only for TATA. They have access to new technologies and all but the JV seems to have done no or little good to FIAT.


Regards.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline  
Old 4th January 2011, 22:51   #115
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,927
Thanked: 3,435 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
replacing the dash in titanium figo would cost a lakh as it has airbags!! so it is not a win-win sorry for
To be fair to Misquitas, he clearly said conceal, not replace the dash.

Either way, it's too much hassle for a tiny discount on something I don't like in the first place.
Chetan_Rao is online now  
Old 5th January 2011, 00:18   #116
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 43
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Fabia is a wonderful and stable hatch. It has brighter and welcoming interiors.
It did deserve to be selling that much for quite many months. But looks like the initial cheating done by Skoda is finally getting erased from buyer's mind finally with some honest attempts.

It will be interesting to see how much did POLO sold.
Afterall, did the 4 - 5 months waiting period still kept sales figures floating above 1000+?

Feature wise (built quality, equipment etc) comparison in price band is amongst POLO, Fabia and Micra.
rove_drives is offline  
Old 5th January 2011, 04:21   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

I found it interesting to read a front page clipping on today's Washington Post (Jan 4th) stating 'India's Nano beomes a no-no for car buyers' and has a half page article on page A7 about the fledgling sales of the Tata Nano, with 2 pics---one of a huge inventory of cars awaiting sale, and another of a burning Nano.
The article covered the perception of the lower middle class in India very well--stating that people did not want to be associated with a cheap car viewpoint.
vnabhi is online now  
Old 5th January 2011, 05:16   #118
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
NOM to Maruti fans here but I keep wondering about the figures of Swift and Wagon R. Swift is common like how the Pulsars were in 05-06. A person on a Luna would rather get noticed than a person driving a Swift ..How can somebody even now pick up something which is so common :|..
The styling ( exteriors) of the new Wagon-R suck in my opinion, but still its logged in so many numbers. The only thing which keeps the Janta choosing Maruti is the brand factor and the A.S.S nothing else, their styling/design is sad in all aspects. Engine performance is good, thanks to the Fiat MJD's. Maruti just knows to make good floor mats and mud flops!! Pardon my ignorance regarding the K-Series engines, I have never driven them but i've heard they're responsive, FE and powerful too.

I really dont understand how on earth did someone come up with a design like the Dzire. Its such a disgrace. I'm sure the German's and Italian's have ordered a car each to keep it in their museum under the name tag "blunders in design".
This post is funny. But to be fair to everyone, bashing Maruti just because Fiat didn't sell does not make sense to me. Ultimately customer is the king and what he chooses is the best!
blue_pulsar is offline  
Old 5th January 2011, 06:19   #119
Senior - BHPian
 
govigov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cochin!!!!!
Posts: 1,314
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

how many vento's were sold?

waiting for vw/bmw/audi numbers

am seeing a lot of bmw's around and i think atleast 1 R8 was sold.
govigov is offline  
Old 5th January 2011, 07:08   #120
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,270
Thanked: 1,235 Times
Default Re: December 2010 : Indian Car Sales Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
NOM to Maruti fans here but I keep wondering about the figures of Swift and Wagon R. Swift is common like how the Pulsars were in 05-06. A person on a Luna would rather get noticed than a person driving a Swift ..How can somebody even now pick up something which is so common :|..
The styling ( exteriors) of the new Wagon-R suck in my opinion, but still its logged in so many numbers. The only thing which keeps the Janta choosing Maruti is the brand factor and the A.S.S nothing else, their styling/design is sad in all aspects. Engine performance is good, thanks to the Fiat MJD's. Maruti just knows to make good floor mats and mud flops!! Pardon my ignorance regarding the K-Series engines, I have never driven them but i've heard they're responsive, FE and powerful too.

I really dont understand how on earth did someone come up with a design like the Dzire. Its such a disgrace. I'm sure the German's and Italian's have ordered a car each to keep it in their museum under the name tag "blunders in design".
You echo my perceptions fully, except that we gotta admit that the K series engine is really a gem. I've driven my cousin's hideous Ritz and must confess that I was damn impressed with its performance: the engine was really free-revving, unlike that in my Waggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
Really saddened to see the figures of Fiat. Inspite of the T-jet's launched the Linea stands nowhere upto the mark. Figo was another surprise, a true VFM car. Fords A.S.S also is been really good, atleast in Bangalore. Waiting desperately for the new Fiesta to hit the streets, boy-o-boy it looks neat ..
I am eagerly waiting too. I saw a Mazda 3 sedan here in the US and found it to be strikingly similar to the new Fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
The Tata's are doing all types of nautanki's ( offers ) to boost up the sales of Nano. The sight of Nano's pics in papers in flames used to be scary.
That is exactly what the front page in today's Washington Post says--please read my prior post a few paras above.
vnabhi is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
December 2015 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis Aditya The Indian Car Scene 76 24th January 2016 13:41
December 2014 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis Aditya The Indian Car Scene 102 5th February 2015 12:13
December 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis parrys The Indian Car Scene 105 1st March 2014 12:04
December 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 105 1st February 2013 13:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks