Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd May 2011, 18:58   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Facelift Corolla Altis Spied in Bangalore!

A real positive change in my opinion. The headlamps have a subtle change, yet are more stylish. Rear lamps are a bit over done though. But air dams are damn good. Interior colour schemes are changed for the good. Black in place of grey makes the dash look more up market. Darker matte finished faux wood trim is a much better bet against the older glossy light coloured ones, though I personally prefer normal leather wrapped steering over this and would also prefer silver metal finish for the center console too Good change never the less, especially since it also involves an engine change. Good job Toyota
aravind.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:53   #122
Team-BHP Support

The Petrol gets a 6 speed manual as well as a 7 speed CVT-i. Diesel no changes to engine/transmission apart from the facelift.

The new 2ZR-FE is the newest line of engines. Supposed to be more rev happy and even better driveability.

It's a complete package now. The old 5 speed petrol always felt strained on the highway, the new 6 speed will definitely fix that. The old 4 speed was just that old school.

Now with the features and new engines, the Civic is going to have a real tough time.

ps: Anyone want a 1.5 year old black Altis MT done 16K kms, fully loaded.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:31   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Start/Stop button included - Only for the petrol variant.
Front grill different for both Petrol and Diesel variants.

Refreshed interiors, not much though.
They should have pumped up the Diesel engine. 87bhp and 205Nm torque?
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 16:43   #124
BHPian

Post Re: Facelift Corolla Altis Spied in Bangalore!

Here's the link to the video review of New Altis:
0-100 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 16:58   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

I really fail to understand why Toyota of all companies do not want to upgrade there Diesel Altis. Generally everyone will agree that toyota is known for its good market research. So is it possible that they dont see a good market for the Diesel Altis?

Also does the diesel variant also gets the upgraded ICE?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 18:24   #126
Team-BHP Support

When you say upgrade do you mean engine upgrade? Toyota should have engines in their diesel line up to upgrade the Altis in the first place.

Their only medium sized diesel engine is the 1ND-TV 1.4D-4D which is already in the Altis.

The only other engine they have is the 1AD-FTV 2L engine with an output of 126bhp. This may have suited the Altis better but I'm sure it would have turned out be a lot more expensive as well. Moreover the 1AD-FTV is for the european Corolla so getting that engine definitely means higher cost.

The Altis is the cheapest diesel in the D segment compared to Cruze, Laura and Jetta. It's vfm is achieved by this engine which is more popular.

ps:The AD engine is also used in the Lexus IS220d.

I just recommended the Altis to an uncle who had a ride in the car and absolutely loved it. He doesnt drive and car will be 100% chauffeur driven. Fantastic mileage, good rear seat and VFM. The same person rejected the Cruze cause of the poor rear seat comfort (poor legroom and difficult ingress and egress).
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 04:45   #127
BHPian

A new engine altogether + a 7-speed CVT, this has really gotten me thinking of getting rid of my current Altis and buying the new one. And finally the Altis is turning out to be a VFM (not just yet, a couple more airbags would've really helped) in terms of equipment, finally it gets parking sensors, touch-screen DVD ICE with Aux, USB and Bluetooth, Push-button start, keyless entry and finally something as basic as electronic boot release as standard on the petrol variant.

Why no keyless entry, push-button start for the diesel? Above all, why no new engine!? :-(

My family is a toyota enthusiast, we have had almost all the toyota hits right since the Qualis followed by an Innova, a corolla (and as a replacement) another Innova (facelifted) and the Altis. As a matter of fact, the Altis we booked was the 4th one to roll out of the Shinrai Toyota Dealership in Worli.

As everyone mentions, the diesel 1.4D4D engine which develops a poor 87bhp is really a bummer, you don't expect to find such an underpowered dud under the hood of a car that costs 15 lakhs and is an entry level premium sedan.

I'd buy the 2.0 diesel engine which is available in SE Asia in a heartbeat if it were available here, I am currently looking out for a diesel replacement for my old corolla its done 70k and been around for almost 6 years, nothing fits my bill quite as much so thinking of moving a segment higher to the passat. I am really tempted by the idea of a newer engine by toyota mated with a 7-speed CVT/6-speed manual but the problem is I cannot add another petrol engine to the stable [2007 Honda Civic A/T, 2009 Altis A/T, 2009 Innova (face-lifted)] because this one will have a running and the fuel costs are just going up (and this is what any other rational buyer would think).

Nonetheless, new engine, eager to try it out =D
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote