Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2007, 11:49   #301
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,476 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
OK, lets take a look at the prices. Comparing the 1.6litre petrol versions of the Logan and the SX4, the ex-showroom Mumbai prices are as below (taken from respective websites) :

Logan GLX 1.6 : 526,602
Logan GLS 1.6 : 568,789
Exactly my point, good that you have listed the prices.
Based on these, we can say the Logan is an entry level C segmenter.
My question remains answered, which is, why are the auto mags comparing it with the Fiesta and Verna?

I feel it should be compared with the Accent, Ikon and Esteem.
benbsb29 is offline  
Old 6th August 2007, 12:24   #302
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,948
Thanked: 16,652 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
My question remains answered, which is, why are the auto mags comparing it with the Fiesta and Verna?
In fact, Overdrive declared Logan 1.6 the winner of segment with Fiesta 1.4/ Aveo 1.4/ Accent 1.5 GLE.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 6th August 2007, 15:57   #303
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,476 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
In fact, Overdrive declared Logan 1.6 the winner of segment with Fiesta 1.4/ Aveo 1.4/ Accent 1.5 GLE.
Since its Overdrive, i am not even bothered.
benbsb29 is offline  
Old 6th August 2007, 17:10   #304
BHPian
 
thefreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 362
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Well the prices of Logan 1.5 and Fiesta 1.4 are quite comparable... so why not compare?
thefreak is offline  
Old 6th August 2007, 17:10   #305
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

The main reason why Logan is compared with B segment premium hatch (Swift, Getz etc) and its own segment entry C segment and Premium C Segment is Logan's price point/features/space/comfort. However quality and refinement can't be compared with Premium C Segment but Indian buyer don't give value to refinement/quality/safety. So few people who look for practical sedan buy Logan.

Same applies to Indigo as well.

Person who is member in TBHP might not agree why Logan/Indigo are compared with other cars 1 segment low(Swift,Getz etc.) and 1 segment more(NHC,Fiesta etc) but I have found this is how typical indian buyer thinks while buying cars.

Also note that Mahindra and TATA don't have any premium sedan to compete in Premium C segment so they have positioned their entry level sedan variants which can be compared with premium C segment sedans too ( example top end logan and Indigo XL)

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 6th August 2007 at 17:20.
ravibhat is offline  
Old 6th August 2007, 21:25   #306
Senior - BHPian
 
AMATMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore\GOA
Posts: 1,456
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
The main reason why Logan is compared with B segment premium hatch (Swift, Getz etc) and its own segment entry C segment and Premium C Segment is Logan's price point/features/space/comfort. However quality and refinement can't be compared with Premium C Segment but Indian buyer don't give value to refinement/quality/safety. So few people who look for practical sedan buy Logan.

Same applies to Indigo as well.

Person who is member in TBHP might not agree why Logan/Indigo are compared with other cars 1 segment low(Swift,Getz etc.) and 1 segment more(NHC,Fiesta etc) but I have found this is how typical indian buyer thinks while buying cars.

Also note that Mahindra and TATA don't have any premium sedan to compete in Premium C segment so they have positioned their entry level sedan variants which can be compared with premium C segment sedans too ( example top end logan and Indigo XL)

Regards,

Ravi.
that does make some sense
AMATMO is offline  
Old 7th August 2007, 11:15   #307
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Has Toyota come out with it's July sales? All we know is they sold around 500 Corolla's which is about the average number they sell every month.

I am not convinced that the Civic has hit Corolla sales. Even when the Civic was not avaliable, I don't remember Corolla selling 1200-1400 units every month. Maybe it did in the initial honeymoon period but after that I don't think it crossed about 600-750 units. In fact, considering the aura around the Corolla name round the world, I'd say the car actually flopped in India.
amit is offline  
Old 7th August 2007, 12:17   #308
BHPian
 
balaji_n29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 135
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

While the Logan has topped SX4 by 50 cars, I doubt if it can sustain the lead. Look at the demand for Logan. The waiting period for Logan has come down to 1-2 weeks from 4-5 weeks, while Mahindra has not increased the production capacity. The SX4 has the highest demand in the segment and can sustain the figures atleast for another 3 months.

On the other hand, I think it is wrong to compare Logan with NHC/SX4/Fiesta/Verna. The competition for Logan in Indigo/Ikon/Accent. I am sure the Logan will remain on top compared to the entry segment sedans.
balaji_n29 is offline  
Old 8th August 2007, 00:47   #309
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Frankly, I don't understand why people are so worried about who is selling how much. The manufacturers should be doing that....I can see people becoming ambassadors of various manufacturers. Or is it that sales figures prove which is the better car? And this thread is a quest for the same?

Well, if you have nothing better to do.....

As for me, I got nothing better to do than comment on these threads
kuttapan is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 13:36   #310
Senior - BHPian
 
madan80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 1,356
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Domestic passenger car sales in July grew by 11.18 per cent at 89,548 units as against 80,543 units in the same month a year ago.
According to figures released by Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM), domestic motorcycle sales during the month was at 3,75,004 units as against 4,53,152 units in July 2006, down by 17.25 per cent.
Total two-wheelers sold in the country during July stood at 5,03,356 units, registering a dip of 9.95 per cent as compared to 5,58,982 units sold in the year-ago period.
Domestic sales of commercial vehicles during the month was up by 2.53 per cent at 33,496 units as against 32,670 units in the corresponding month a year ago.

Car sales up 11% in July, bike down 17%
madan80 is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 14:20   #311
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan
As for me, I got nothing better to do than comment on these threads
Given your indignation at consumers being worried about manufacturers sales figures, shouldn't you rather be saying, "I got better things to do than comment on these threads" ? Else you would be contradicting yourself, kuttapayi.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 14:24   #312
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arunphilip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,727
Thanked: 4,699 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Else you would be contradicting yourself, kuttapayi.
I think he was trying to be funny, sb.
arunphilip is online now  
Old 9th August 2007, 19:28   #313
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji_n29 View Post
While the Logan has topped SX4 by 50 cars, I doubt if it can sustain the lead. Look at the demand for Logan. The waiting period for Logan has come down to 1-2 weeks from 4-5 weeks, while Mahindra has not increased the production capacity.
The Logan is also not present in as many locations/dealerships as the SX4. Correct me if I am wrong.
typeOnegative is offline  
Old 9th August 2007, 21:22   #314
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,948
Thanked: 16,652 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
The Logan is also not present in as many locations/dealerships as the SX4. Correct me if I am wrong.
Not even launched in our part of the country!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline  
Old 10th August 2007, 10:25   #315
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,476 Times
Default

When the Logan gets launched in Kerala the diesel variant will be lapped up with pleasure. Thats my prediction.
benbsb29 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
January 2010 - Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 152 26th February 2010 12:07
September 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis akj53 The Indian Car Scene 288 7th November 2009 20:52
August 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 100 5th October 2009 14:52
July 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis vasudeva The Indian Car Scene 209 9th September 2009 13:38
June 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 136 10th August 2009 15:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks