Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2008, 20:16   #796
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

If SX4 is not worth for 8 Lakhs, then Honda City is sure not worth for 8+ lakhs having an 1.3 Engine, because of this reason it gives 2-3 km more than SX4. Honda city can be used only to travel from Point A to Point B when comparing to SX4.
gopinathann is offline  
Old 7th March 2008, 20:37   #797
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,069
Thanked: 500 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
If SX4 is not worth for 8 Lakhs, then Honda City is sure not worth for 8+ lakhs having an 1.3 Engine, because of this reason it gives 2-3 km more than SX4. Honda city can be used only to travel from Point A to Point B when comparing to SX4.
Quote:
NHC is more of a practical car & its surely got awesome interiors . SX4 interiors is ok. i personally think its not great for a car with 8L price.
Its true Honda s brand name is main reason why it sells. We cant expect
amazing pickup in a 77bhp hood.
I think, he meant NHC was not worth 8 lacs.. BTW, NHC (both iDSi and VTEC) have 1.5 L engine.. its just the bhp that is different. The iDSi is also quite peppy..

Last edited by iTNerd : 7th March 2008 at 20:40.
iTNerd is offline  
Old 8th March 2008, 10:35   #798
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
If SX4 is not worth for 8 Lakhs, then Honda City is sure not worth for 8+ lakhs having an 1.3 Engine, because of this reason it gives 2-3 km more than SX4. Honda city can be used only to travel from Point A to Point B when comparing to SX4.
Gopi i said SX4 interiors are not upto the notch for the 8 l bracket . I know you own a SX4 but few of my friends own a SX4 and they were complaining that interior trim quality is not upto the mark.
karanraheja is offline  
Old 9th March 2008, 20:04   #799
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 765
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Gopi i said SX4 interiors are not upto the notch for the 8 l bracket . I know you own a SX4 but few of my friends own a SX4 and they were complaining that interior trim quality is not upto the mark.
Even I agree with that, Honda is best in interior quality. Does it mean the interior is not good means the car is not worth for. When spending 8 lakhs on the car, we would have taken all the considerations. Honda city might gain points here but loses points elsewhere. Honda customers gives that premium amount for the inteior quality, additional mileage. If the NHC is available for 6.5 Lakhs I would have gone for that car.
gopinathann is offline  
Old 9th March 2008, 21:52   #800
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Even I agree with that, Honda is best in interior quality. Does it mean the interior is not good means the car is not worth for. When spending 8 lakhs on the car, we would have taken all the considerations. Honda city might gain points here but loses points elsewhere. Honda customers gives that premium amount for the inteior quality, additional mileage. If the NHC is available for 6.5 Lakhs I would have gone for that car.
Dude you got a point. But when a person is shelling out 8 lacs he will surely look at the interior trim levels as one of the factor. SX4 is a good car no doubt. There is no chance Honda will ever price its cars at competitive prices( like you said 6.5 l). Honda knows because of their Brand Image Indian Consumers will buy their vehicle. But obviously they have a reputation of producing awesome cars. SX4 has its points and so does NHC. So i feel it differs from consumer to consumer.
karanraheja is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 12:39   #801
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default February 2008 sales data

Just posted Feb 2008 domestic car sales data here:

vasudeva - DOMESTIC SALES

Key points:
1. Sales declined 14.5% over 1/08 (obvious because of budget) but increased only 7.8% over 2/07.
2. Year on year (yoy) basis comparison more relevant. High Yoy growth for BMW, Merc, GM, Skoda, Toyota. Declines for Ford, HM. Shocking low growth of 0.4% for Maruti.
3. Recent successes: Logan, Merc C.
4. Difficult to compare 2/08 with 1/08 and judge success since 2/08 is an odd month.
5. City is still creaming SX4.
6. No Accord production in 2/08 so definitely new one should be out soon.
7. Corolla still being produced at 518 in 2/08. However, the number is high given its sales, and so perhaps production could be phased down soon.
8. Look at huge gains for BMW and Merc.
9. Fabia not a success by any measure.
vasudeva is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 13:27   #802
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Net
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Shocking low growth of 0.4% for Maruti.
5. City is still creaming SX4.
Hmm, without SX4, would Maruti have gone down in YOY sales?

Also, seems like the "reality" is getting on with SX4 - the honeymoon period is probably over. We need to still wait and see if these numbers (close to 2K per month) will hold up over a few months.
pmbabu is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 13:29   #803
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

I think a lot of this slow growth can be attributed to the crashing stock market which has left the middle class in a lurch.
tsk1979 is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 13:31   #804
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Net
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Even I agree with that, Honda is best in interior quality. Does it mean the interior is not good means the car is not worth for. When spending 8 lakhs on the car, we would have taken all the considerations. Honda city might gain points here but loses points elsewhere. Honda customers gives that premium amount for the inteior quality, additional mileage. If the NHC is available for 6.5 Lakhs I would have gone for that car.
Well, if NHC is priced at 6.5 lacs (let us consider hypothetically that it happens), and if that is at the cost of compromising on interiors and plastic quality, would that be acceptable to prospective Honda owners? No, would be my emphatic answer. With SX4 though, I am sorry saying this, Maruti is very much seen as a VFM brand, so the compromise in interior quality and rear seat comfort are considered "OK" if not acceptable.
pmbabu is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 13:32   #805
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: On The Net
Posts: 302
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think a lot of this slow growth can be attributed to the crashing stock market which has left the middle class in a lurch.
OT: Yeah, the bottom is still not hit, it seems like.
pmbabu is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 15:43   #806
BHPian
 
Raajiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Monterey Bay,CA
Posts: 262
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Just posted Feb 2008 domestic car sales data here:

vasudeva - DOMESTIC SALES

Key points:
1. Sales declined 14.5% over 1/08 (obvious because of budget) but increased only 7.8% over 2/07.
2. Year on year (yoy) basis comparison more relevant. High Yoy growth for BMW, Merc, GM, Skoda, Toyota. Declines for Ford, HM. Shocking low growth of 0.4% for Maruti.
3. Recent successes: Logan, Merc C.
4. Difficult to compare 2/08 with 1/08 and judge success since 2/08 is an odd month.
5. City is still creaming SX4.
6. No Accord production in 2/08 so definitely new one should be out soon.
7. Corolla still being produced at 518 in 2/08. However, the number is high given its sales, and so perhaps production could be phased down soon.
8. Look at huge gains for BMW and Merc.
9. Fabia not a success by any measure.

Vasudeva,

Any information on Hyundai i10.Did it manage to edge out Spark?
Raajiv is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 16:34   #807
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,717
Thanked: 425 Times
Default

Did anyone notice:

Fiat sales are UP 57.5% YOY!!

Skoda Fabia is declining every month.

Executive segment Hyundai sales (Sonata?) are at ZERO units. Even with a diesel variant in the line up.

Which Hyundai model is in the premium segment? Tucson? 27 units were sold. Which car/SUV is this?

In compact segment, Hyundai sold 21xxx units in Jan which is down to 11xxx units in Feb! Are both Santro and i10 struggling?

Mercedes C class is 'driving' all over the BMW 3 but the BMW 5 is doing the same to Mercedes E. No information about Audi.

Last edited by amit : 10th March 2008 at 16:35.
amit is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 18:26   #808
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kollam/Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Mercedes C class is 'driving' all over the BMW 3
yeah, high time for BMW to bring in manual transmission beemers.
RakishRam is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 19:19   #809
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,638 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu
Maruti is very much seen as a VFM brand, so the compromise in interior quality and rear seat comfort are considered "OK" if not acceptable.
Must be the same way that Honda City buyers seem to consider it OK & acceptable that Honda does not give a damn about their lives (by not giving ABS/Airbags in cars costing 8L), while even VFM Maruti puts them in their hatches and sedans.

From the sales figures, the SX4 initially showed promise, but figures seem to be coming down. I think one of the reasons could be MUL's discontinuing the Esteem (whose figures are bunched with the SX4) and another could be the delivery delays for SX4. I am sure most people would not want to wait for weeks to get a car and might go to the competition.
supremeBaleno is offline  
Old 10th March 2008, 21:57   #810
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Post

Yup Honda was kinda having its monopoly with the City until SX4 came.
At around 8-8.5l on road for the GXi, they should offer ABS standard & Airbags atleast as an option. One of Maruti dealers was telling me that SX4 is not doing as well as last few months as the mileage is not more than 10kmpl
and few people waiting for its diesel version.SX4 owners any comments on the mileage part?? If Honda offer ABS as standard in its next Gen City then it will surely price it higher.
karanraheja is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
January 2010 - Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 152 26th February 2010 12:07
September 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis akj53 The Indian Car Scene 288 7th November 2009 20:52
August 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 100 5th October 2009 14:52
July 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis vasudeva The Indian Car Scene 209 9th September 2009 13:38
June 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis GTO The Indian Car Scene 136 10th August 2009 15:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks