Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2011, 15:53   #1
R17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 117
Thanked: 28 Times
Default 'A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 additional airbags & ESP. Why not?

I think the Cruze is a great car. Looks good, better VFM than the Europeans and moves smartly too. My biggest issue is the fact that there isnt a single variant in the Cruze that comes with the full set of Airbags and ESP. Most variants of the European duo are fully decked with all the safety features, which is a very, very important criterion, at least for me, and by interactions, for quite a few C+ segment buyers.

Ive wondered this over and over again and it just beats me why Chevy refuses to at least offer the Indian consumer an option for higher safety levels. They could charge what it costs them but at least an option should be offered.

Moreover, the Cruze is perhaps the first car in the world to ace every single crash test around - its got the highest possible ratings in the IIHS, NHTSA, Euro NCAP, Aus NCAP, China NCAP and Korean NCAP. All of which is redundant for us since we Indians will not get a chance to buy a properly decked version.

Here's a suggestion to anyone on this foum from GM / connected to GM - How about launching an optional package, say a Safety Pack, charging the customer a lumpsum (say 70k-100k) for 8 additional airbags and ESP (Yes, the American Cruze comes with 10 airbags as standard fare). And to back it up, Chevy could launch a marketing blitz, highlighting the Cruze's excellent crash test performance. I genuinely feel it will translate to a positive NPV.

I believe T-bhp is a powerful platform and I sincerely hope that this perspective at least reaches a meaningful avenue, where its merits or demerits may be rationally considered. (Read as - anyone up there, in Chevy India). It'd be great if it was possible to reach out to Mr. Karl Slym with this rationale but obviously, his co-ordinates are unavailable across the public domain.

(Anyone out there listening ? )

Also, while these are my subjective views, I'd love to get a pulse from the other readers of this forum - if Chevy did indeed offer such an optional package (8 additional airbags + ESP or for that matter 4 additional airbags +ESP), how much would you willingly pay for it and how important a factor would that be in your choosing a car? And how much do you think, it would cost Chevy to offer this as an option pack?

Ill go first - Id happily pay 1L for an additional 8 airbags +ESP or 70 K for an additional 4 airbags +ESP.

Hope to hear your views.

Last edited by R17 : 16th January 2011 at 15:57.
R17 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 17:12   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

I completely understand your point, but would like to draw your attenntion to one another factor

COST

Airbags are very costly and getting 8 'EIGHT', and ESP for 1L, is asking for way way too much at a very little price.

I wont be surprised if 8 airbags and ESP will set you back by atleast 3 Lakhs, plus it is the matter of all the sensors, altering the electronics etc. Hence, they would tend to loose out more and would not be a profitable option for them. How many are willing to shell out a minimum of 3L on just airbags. When in a country like India, a vast majority of cars drive without this

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 16th January 2011 at 17:14.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 17:30   #3
BHPian
 
sajands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 830
Thanked: 135 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I completely understand your point, but would like to draw your attenntion to one another factor

COST

Airbags are very costly and getting 8 'EIGHT', and ESP for 1L, is asking for way way too much at a very little price.

I wont be surprised if 8 airbags and ESP will set you back by atleast 3 Lakhs, plus it is the matter of all the sensors, altering the electronics etc. Hence, they would tend to loose out more and would not be a profitable option for them. How many are willing to shell out a minimum of 3L on just airbags. When in a country like India, a vast majority of cars drive without this
Very true, for the same reason Hyundai Verna a diesle rocket comes without airbags, It's got ABS but no airbags even for the driver. Most of people dont need airbags and pay more attention to the cost, It's a sad state in India that money matters more than saftey and that's what all manufactures in India are focusing on these days. Due to costs, Hyundai removed the rear disc's breaks and replaced them with drum breaks on the verna
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 18:51   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: JAIPUR
Posts: 63
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members. Avoid capitalizing the first letter of every word as it makes posts hard to read. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 16th January 2011 at 20:10. Reason: See note.
montoo is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 16th January 2011, 19:12   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

Exactly Sajands. Infact if i remember correctly, when the i20 was launched. They had one variant which had 2 airbags, and almost everything else alike, they had another variant with 4 more air bags, which was atleast a lakh more in price.

I do not want to get on to the practicaility, context in india and so on, on airbags, as it is not apt to the context of this thread, which talks of why these are not offered

Simple reason is cost. Companies do not come up with options keeping just a few handful of people in mind. If they need to come up with an option, they need to mass produce and to do that, they first assess the need. Unless you move up the value chain 10 notches, where a manufacturer customizes a lot based on owners needs and pocket depth

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 16th January 2011 at 19:14. Reason: Spelling mistake
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 19:23   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,654
Thanked: 1,108 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoo View Post
In All Aspects No Doubt Cruze Is A Ultimate Car(inspite A Slow Autobox).but One Thing That Looks Horrible Is Black Exhaust After The Car Driven For More Kms.it Looks So Ugly.i Think They Should Provide Double Exhust Loke Captiva.


@R17: All car manufacturers give the Indian market a step-motherly treatment wrt features atleast. Why are you targeting Chevrolet alone?

Have you had a look at the Japanese makers and how much kitted the same models are, in the International market?

Hyundai still flaunts the 5-star rating safety decal on the rear windscreen of the i20 while the actual rating is for the fully kitted trim with 6 bloody airbags! What do you say about that?
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 20:36   #7
BHPian
 
superboy44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ludhiana
Posts: 249
Thanked: 26 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

@dreamcatcher
the i20 asta(o) model came with six airbags and if i am not wrong it was just 20k dearer compared to the asta variant with 2 airbags.

but the asta(o) variant was available only on order as there was no demand for it.

lack of demand and awareness amongst the majority of the car buying janta of the importance of full complement of safety features is what prevents the launch of fully loaded variants.

Last edited by superboy44 : 16th January 2011 at 20:37.
superboy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 20:43   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,586
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

While they are at it, they should also add a dead pedal. Even the AT doesnt have a dead pedal!
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 02:17   #9
R17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 117
Thanked: 28 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post


@R17: All car manufacturers give the Indian market a step-motherly treatment wrt features atleast. Why are you targeting Chevrolet alone?

Have you had a look at the Japanese makers and how much kitted the same models are, in the International market?

Hyundai still flaunts the 5-star rating safety decal on the rear windscreen of the i20 while the actual rating is for the fully kitted trim with 6 bloody airbags! What do you say about that?

@Driver - The intent is not to point out a manufacturer and if thats the apparent implication, then let me clarify that its incorrect. I am aware that most manufacturers offer stepmotherly treatment to Indian consumers - I just picked the Cruze because its aced EVERY single crash test in the world and it would be so awesome to have a reasonably affordable car for the masses (agreed, C+ segment isnt the masses exactly, but its still open to a wide pool of the middle class) which could offer the best safety engineering solutions in the world.

@Dreamcatcher - Im not an auto engineer so I dont know what would be the cost of adding 8 airbags (with or without the ESP, since Im primarily focusing on the passive safety aspect). My guess is it would be closer to 1 L. However, irrespective of the cost, my point is even if it costs much more, Chevy India could just offer it as an option. They could choose to charge a premium on it for going through the trouble of offering an option which may not be widely adopted ie they could basically definitely cover their costs even if it meant charging a bomb to the consumers and facing a tepid response. At least it gives you and me an option to prioritize whether Id like to spend the extra dough on a sunroof and leather seats or on safety features.

Heck, Id be happy if they even removed the rain sensing wipers and the pointless cruise control at the expense of subsiding the cost for the airbags, but thats just my opinion and may not be in sync with the general opinion.

My question still remain - how much would you willingly pay extra for 8 airbags?
R17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 03:54   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

I think GM is trying to position the Cruze as VFM luxury and that could be the reason. Secondly, there is not much awareness or demand for features like side-curtain bags and ESP unlike the west.

I'm just happy that they decided to bring in the A/T. Looking forward to that 1.4 turbo engine now.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 12:48   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
thedreamcatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 1,205
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

@R17, as far as I have calclated, the only reason they are not brining it in, and i spoke to a service engineer to validate this and test the point out. It is because for 8 airbags, the cost will go up quite significantly. May not be upto the intial 3L, i stated, but certainly not 1L either. And apparently people are more than happy with option for just the 2 airbags upfront and not looking for the curtain airbags

But, what you can do is write up to the company or even better speak to someone and put in this options and see what they come up with?
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 13:50   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 103
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Very true, for the same reason Hyundai Verna a diesle rocket comes without airbags, It's got ABS but no airbags even for the driver. Most of people dont need airbags and pay more attention to the cost, It's a sad state in India that money matters more than saftey and that's what all manufactures in India are focusing on these days. Due to costs, Hyundai removed the rear disc's breaks and replaced them with drum breaks on the verna
@sajands - I don't agree that people don't care for safety. I walked out not purchasing verna coz there were no airbags available even as an option. Irony is the manufacturer in India try to reduce cost by compromising on safety. Anyhow, I have been talking to my friends and couple of them, though a bleak minority do take safety of the car very seriously..let me tell you the number of safety conscious people are increasing.
onesomeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 14:32   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,959
Thanked: 1,711 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

Well, there is no doubt about the fact that most cars made for India skimp on safety features to cut costs and the Cruze is probably one more example of this.

But yes, it would be interesting to see how much people are willing to pay for 6 more airbags over the existing 2.
Mods: Could you please add a poll with the following options:

1. I do not see the need for any more airbags.
2. I m willing to pay INR 1lac extra for 6 more airbags.
3. I m willing to pay INR 2lac extra for 6 more airbags.
4. I m willing to pay INR 3lac extra for 6 more airbags.
5. I do not know.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 14:38   #14
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Well, there is no doubt about the fact that most cars made for India skimp on safety features to cut costs and the Cruze is probably one more example of this.

But yes, it would be interesting to see how much people are willing to pay for 6 more airbags over the existing 2.
Mods: Could you please add a poll with the following options:

1. I do not see the need for any more airbags.
2. I m willing to pay INR 1lac extra for 6 more airbags.
3. I m willing to pay INR 2lac extra for 6 more airbags.
4. I m willing to pay INR 3lac extra for 6 more airbags.
5. I do not know.
What hurts most is that there isn't even an option available for those who are willing to shell out more for the added airbags or other safety features. Would be nice if we were able to "customize" the car at the time of booking. And by customization, I mean opting for safety features that cannot be fitted after-market.

The Swift Diesel for example has no airbags/rear defogger option on the highest variant (VDi). A classic case of "diesel drivers don't need safety" attitude by the manufacturers. If the DZire can have a ZDi, why not the Swift?

Last edited by fuel_addict : 17th January 2011 at 14:41.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 15:27   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
KiloAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cubicle
Posts: 1,255
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default re: A Chevrolet Cruze with 4 / 8 airbags & ESP. Why not?

We are, mostly, a highly enlightened bunch when it comes to cars. However, the majority of car buyers are not quite like us. And car manufacturers have highly efficient and powerful bean counters dictating features & value.

India is so highly price and value conscious - 2 airbags Vs 4 airbags debate (or even ESP vs. no ESP, etc etc) is a foregone conclusion.

Add to that the fact that India does not have the kind of safety standards that we in T-BHP know exist in other countries.

Top it off with our legendary sense of fatalism.
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chevrolet Cruze stolen from the Treo Chevrolet (Okhla) service center! wilful Street Experiences 16 1st August 2014 13:55
Choosing to Cruze - Chevrolet Cruze LTZ AT. (First 500 kms) a.sundaram Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 47 22nd April 2014 16:46
Chevrolet Cruze or the Chevrolet Optra - Which car and why? blueorchid Sedans 105 18th November 2011 10:03
Hyundai Verna Fluidic Vs. Chevrolet Optra Magnum vs Chevrolet Cruze soulweaver Sedans 55 3rd October 2011 10:48
Chevrolet Cruze 1.6 AT/MT - Why not in India rnidumolu The Indian Car Scene 17 26th January 2010 13:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks