Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th January 2011, 17:18   #16
BHPian

Default re: Avis now offering self-driven SUVs : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED

The rates seems to be on the higher side

Nevertheless this is a good option for people to explore the mountains in a self drive SUV.

If someone takes these vehicles to Ladakh they would have to leave it in Leh and probably take a Taxi to places like Pangong-Tso, Nubra valley etc since these are Yellow board vehicles and the Leh Taxi Union does not allow out of state Yellow board vehicles to ply in the Ladakh tourist circuit.
Old 27th January 2011, 17:22   #17
SDP
Team-BHP Support

This is a very good news as well as very good deal.

Its about time the rental car business in India goes through some major reforms. I mean, the kind of choice of vehicles and pickup & drop flexibility that you get in countries like US is phenomenal. I wish some 2-3 international biggies get serious about India and really start giving tough competition to the unorganized sector.

Last edited by SDP : 27th January 2011 at 17:23.
Old 27th January 2011, 17:35   #18
BHPian

I enquired about the Avis self drive rental for a trip to Costal Karnataka. The rates for an Endeavour (only SUV available in Chennai Avis for selfdrive) was 2500 + 600 (insurance) + tax per day. Unlimited kms. But I was warned of potential issues at at the Karnataka state border even though this vehicle has an 'all-India Permit'.
Old 27th January 2011, 18:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Sent inquiry to Avis & got below reply ...

Collision Damage Waiver: - INR 300/-
This amount will be blocked on the credit card prior to the rental and would be released once the car is returned without any damage.

So what is this collision damage waiver worth anything if they deduct from your 50K for damage?
Old 27th January 2011, 22:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Love the idea and great to hear Avis taking it ahead.

Like mentioned before i would be wary driving a commercial plate vehicle across state borders. Had horrible experience in Kodai with a KA registered vehicle as we had missed paying entry tax. The inspector actually made my driver drive through the kodai ghats at night when it is supposed to be shut for the night. The guy wanted to be dropped home for it.

Maddy
Old 28th January 2011, 13:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Had read an article for this in HT, sometime in December and also seeing ads for this.

Always worried on how state police will handle the taxi registered plates ? Would they be aware of self driven taxi and will they cause troubles to a person who is renting this car ?

Also, some of the places which are restricted for taxis, can they be used using these vehicles ?
Old 28th January 2011, 14:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed a very good news. Though slightly on the expensive side, it makes a lot of sense for those driving it for more than 400kms.

I would actually love to see the same kind being incorporated for all rentals (not only for Himalays).
Why cant we have self driven rentals for all types of cars?

Also, would like to know, if the taxi plates would pose a problem with the authorities.
Old 28th January 2011, 15:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Decent pricing for those who want to do 400 - 500+ kms per day. On the other hand, for those travelling only 200 kms a day, you could get a vehicle + driver + fuel for the same money (or less).
GTO, you are absolutely right. But only thing is as a TBHPian we all love to drive ourselves. Driving in ghat areas on your own + watching nature beauty is great & we all enjoy it. Same fun we don't get when we have driver. Also personally i hate drivers most of the times as we have to go as per there wish. They generally don't stop where we want to. Also if you get some weird driver then your whole trip is in danger.

Anyways, still i think it is a good deal. For around 3-4 K per day, you can go 5-6 people with loads of fun & that is more important for me
Old 28th January 2011, 16:01   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Had read an article for this in HT, sometime in December and also seeing ads for this.

Always worried on how state police will handle the taxi registered plates ? Would they be aware of self driven taxi and will they cause troubles to a person who is renting this car ?

Also, some of the places which are restricted for taxis, can they be used using these vehicles ?
I have rented cars from AVIS, drove to 2 different cities, didn't have any problem with the cops. Also, I feel, if there where any problem with the cops, all we have to do is call AVIS and ask them to sort it out!!!

Its a good option to preserve your car and take rental for road trips with friends, as we will not have to worry about the adulterated cola on the seats/ floor or the incense stick burn marks and smell
Old 28th January 2011, 16:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

One of my buddies drove from Delhi to Uttaranchal (Nainital/Corbett) in a Avis-rented Safari VX 4x4. His overall experience was fairly good - a 7/10. The vehicle had done 50,000+ kms and was not very well maintained (not sprprising, given that it would have been driven by at least a 1000 difference people), although he did not face any mechanical issues/failures. That said, it is indeed a good option for people who are looking to self-drive in the Himalayas, especially those settled in South India and would not prefer to drive their own vehicles to these places for whatever reasons - 'preserving' one's car (as GTO pointed out) or due to sheer lack of time. Another segment to benefit from this would be car owners who want to get a first-hand driving experience of an SUV without buying one

PS - I, for one, would prefer to do a "been there, done that" in my own car though
Old 28th January 2011, 17:23   #26
BHPian

+1 cool_dube
I loved the idea of renting out a car that you really want to drive, the options were wide in the US (Enterprise was the rental). I drove a V6 Maxima for the price of a hatchback as they didn't had a smaller car available , hope something similar as Enterprise is made possible in India in the near future. I would say the price is OK for Pajero and Endeavour though overprices for a Safari
Old 28th January 2011, 17:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Love the idea and great to hear Avis taking it ahead.

Like mentioned before i would be wary driving a commercial plate vehicle across state borders. Had horrible experience in Kodai with a KA registered vehicle as we had missed paying entry tax. The inspector actually made my driver drive through the kodai ghats at night when it is supposed to be shut for the night. The guy wanted to be dropped home for it.

Maddy
OT but curious -
What do the rule books say about this? could he not have just challaned you to pay later?

--Rahul
Old 28th January 2011, 18:23   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you want to "preserve" your own vehicle, it's probably better to rough it out in a rental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Its a good option to preserve your car and take rental for road trips with friends, as we will not have to worry about the adulterated cola on the seats/ floor or the incense stick burn marks and smell
@GTO and mac187,
Not to offend you guys, but seeing this statement, I remember a quote by an unknown person. It says something like this...
"Ships are safe in port, But thats not why they are built for"
Personally I would not rent a car If I have my own vehicle.

Looking at the rates..I made a rough calculation
For a diesel swift the rent is 1750+350+350 that is approx 2500Rs/day
assuming we drive 500km/day, it is 5Rs/Km
Name:  avis.bmp
Views: 2328
Size:  241.9 KB
Added to that, a decent mileage will incur 2-2.5 Rs/Km
So a Diesel vehicle will be Costlier than a Personal Petrol Vehicle of the same range which will cost 5-6Rs/Km

Should we give 1-1.5Rs/Km extra for Preserving our Vehicle??
(or some 5 Rs/Km extra in case of a Diesel Personal vehicle)
Please correct me if my calculation is wrong

However this is a good option for guys who have travelled to a distant city by train or bus and not having a Vehicle at all.

Let me reiterate...This is not to offend anybody nor am I interested in any arguments. I've just put forward my thoughts.
Old 28th January 2011, 20:21   #29
BHPian

hemanth-I dont think anyone on this forum will take offence to debates. Freedom to express thoughts is what a forum is always about, so what you mentioned above is great if we drive our own vehicles on good roads or not so good roads.
I want to drive around Ladakh and not be taken around by a irritated and bored driver. Unfortunately since I live in Bangalore, driving all the way from here is not an easy option.
So in the best of both worlds, I leave my truck in bangalore and fly into Delhi then take the hired SUV into Ladakh, albeit pay a little more than what I would if I drove my own car. But in the bargain, my 4x2 truck wont have to take the harsh terrain and will be preserved for the touring (on good or not very good roads) experiences that it was originally bought for.

Last edited by Kairalee : 28th January 2011 at 20:22.
Old 28th January 2011, 20:28   #30
BHPian

Thumbs up re: Avis now offering self-driven SUVs : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED

^^

This may not be a good option for people who wants to drive around in Ladakh.

The Leh Taxi union does not allow out of state Yellow board vehicles to ply in the Ladakh tourist circuit. So those who are driving to Ladakh have to leave the vehicle in Leh and has to take a Taxi for visiting the places there
Closed Thread