Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st February 2012, 14:02   #76
BHPian

Default re: Avis now offering self-driven SUVs : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Folks,

Has anyone used Avis self drive option in Delhi recently?

I was checking with them today for a requirement and the guy on the phone was saying that there are no diesel cars for self drive option and all cars are petrol cars.

Is this true? Has anyone used diesel cars from Avis?
Not possible, there used to be only Safari petrol once upon a time, finding one is difficult. Endy and Pajero are not there in petrol for sure. It is quite possible, that the executive must have told you about self drive option available only withing city limit, like Etios or so.
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 23:01   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Ridiculously high priced, but then Ladakh is an expensive destination for taxi hire anyway. If you hire a SUV in Leh (with driver), you pay anywhere between 5-7,000 per day anyway, and in some sectors it is higher too.
Does that include fuel charges?
And for what distances are the said rates?
My pals and I are planning a Leh trip later this year, and we had been thinking of the self-drive option. But that will remain a dream, at least for the near future..
Old 21st February 2012, 23:11   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Does that include fuel charges?
And for what distances are the said rates?
My pals and I are planning a Leh trip later this year, and we had been thinking of the self-drive option. But that will remain a dream, at least for the near future..
I was referring to taxi hire rates (not self-drive) in Ladakh. I heard rates such as 7,000 (for Leh-Pangong, 150x2 kms return) & even Rs 11,000 (for Kargil-Padum, SINGLe, 1x250 kms).
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:55   #79
BHPian

Folks I have to be in Shimla mid April for a wedding. Although the organizers are kind enough to provide transport, I have been drooling at the thought of taking a Pajero/Endy up and down from Delhi. I have followed the last 2 pages of this thread and not sure what the conclusion is (hills allowed/not allowed etc). Happy to pay 6-7 grand a day for the exp, but need a nice car for this to be worth it. Any pointers?

~TIA
Old 24th April 2012, 11:46   #80
BHPian

Guys, anyone knows whether Avis is still renting out the Safari and Pajeros for the Self Drive Adventures? Their website is missing any info and Customer Support is clueless. We are planning a trip in June and need to rent a Pajero. Any other Company, contact tht does Self Drive SUV Rentals?
Old 24th April 2012, 12:06   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
Guys, anyone knows whether Avis is still renting out the Safari and Pajeros for the Self Drive Adventures? Their website is missing any info and Customer Support is clueless. We are planning a trip in June and need to rent a Pajero. Any other Company, contact tht does Self Drive SUV Rentals?
Hi Mohandasnikhil,

I just got off the phone with Avis and unfortunately they do not have any self drives SUV's anymore. The only option available is an Innova @ 4400/- INR per day. The insurance liability is about 60k in an event. If we hire a vehicle for a week then there is a 3000 INR discount.
Old 25th April 2012, 23:30   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freak

I just got off the phone with Avis and unfortunately they do not have any self drives SUV's anymore. The only option available is an Innova @ 4400/- INR per day. The insurance liability is about 60k in an event. If we hire a vehicle for a week then there is a 3000 INR discount.
That sounds pretty decent. The Innova is available with the Self Drive Option right. Do you guys think that Innova would be capable enough to do the Delhi - Leh trip. I had done the trip 7yrs ago in a Qualis, so I think the Innova should perform better.
Old 15th May 2012, 14:52   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-Freak View Post
Hi Mohandasnikhil,

Would they (Avis) have any reservations around renting Innova for self-drive to Leh-Ladhakh?

Any updates anyone have around renting SUVs for leh trip from Delhi?
Old 24th May 2012, 10:05   #84
BHPian

I Just checked there website to see if there are offering any SUV's for self drive. Only Innova and Etios are available. Innova Rental:Rs.3000 + Extras:Rs. 1400 (Insurance) +Taxes:Rs.1093.84 -Total:Rs.5493.84 . is this rate similar to what other vendors are offering. Add to this fuel cost

I feel it is too expensive. I am planning to do a Leh Ladakh trip this June for around 15-20 days. Yet to decide the Itenrary. If the rentals are that expensive, I guess I can do it in Swift itself driving it from Hyderabad will workout way cheaper over more than 7 days.

Any alternatives rentals that are cheap and reliable? How is the option to buy a used SUV and sell it after the trip
Old 24th May 2012, 12:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

Guys, do check if they allow rentals for Leh. Since I remember reading somewhere in TBHP itself that Leh drives are not allowed. Iam not sure how they will track it if someone just take a car saying for city use and drives it to Leh though.
Also, there are posts on forum about people doing Leh in vehicles from Nano to Vento, so guess Innova will be fine. However compared to Qualis it got low ground clearance
Old 24th May 2012, 14:57   #86
Senior - BHPian

Arrow re: Avis now offering self-driven SUVs : EDIT : Now DISCONTINUED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil View Post
That sounds pretty decent. The Innova is available with the Self Drive Option right. Do you guys think that Innova would be capable enough to do the Delhi - Leh trip. I had done the trip 7yrs ago in a Qualis, so I think the Innova should perform better.
About Innovas ability to do Ladakh? Yes. Lots of Innova taxis running Manali - Leh and Srinagar-Leh route. During our return, Leh-Manali, we were lucky to be tagging with an Innova driver, a pro, who has done 2 Lakh KM only on Manali -Leh. He not only helped us and other cross the water crossing just after Sarchu, helped us through Baralacha La, got out and cleared a traffic block all by himself; after Zing Zing Bar, he was so fast I lost him, he was a different class, many of them are. So an Innova can do it.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 24th May 2012 at 14:58.
Old 14th June 2012, 13:04   #87
BHPian

Yes, Avis gives vehicles for outstation trip. Their current fleet is only Etios & Innova. I have just booked an Innova for 14 days for outstation trip to Leh. Would be leaving Delhi on Friday night. Gone for the self drive option.They are giving the G4 diesel model which is 6+1 seater.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 20:40   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
Yes, Avis gives vehicles for outstation trip. Their current fleet is only Etios & Innova. I have just booked an Innova for 14 days for outstation trip to Leh. Would be leaving Delhi on Friday night. Gone for the self drive option.They are giving the G4 diesel model which is 6+1 seater.
Can you please share the cost or pricing per day / 14 days?
Does it include insurance etc.?
Any other details will help.
Old 17th July 2012, 10:47   #89
BHPian

We paid Rs 35,000, for 14 days on the weekly rate for Innova G4 diesel model. You have to book online on their website. In June they had a discount offer going on so the pricing we got was after the discount. They charged around Rs 6000 for insurance and i negotiated with them for the security deposit which was Rs 65000 on my credit card.

If any damage happens to the vehicle your liability is only up to Rs 65000. Post that the insurance covers it all.The vehicle was in excellent condition and just 9 months old. Overall i was very happy with their service.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2012, 14:29   #90
Senior - BHPian

@Dushie - Thanks for the feedback and the details. The pricing looks great and its good to know that the vehicles are new (at least for now ) Do you get any sort of backup or phone numbers in case of vehicle break down? Does Avis provide any kind of support or are we on our own?
Closed Thread