Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Have you driven a non Demo vehicle.
Yes, I have and its not my fault and the dealer should take care. 42 27.27%
No, I have not come across such a vehicle 60 38.96%
I have driven but will ensure I dont do it in the future. 28 18.18%
No, I have refused to drive such a vehicle. 24 15.58%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th February 2011, 10:13   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: What do we do?? Ready to deliver cars given for Test Drives!!

Isn't it possible for to collect your car from the delivery place (some yard outside the city where all cars are delivered, and then dispatched to different dealers)? This way, we can at least avoid other people test-driving your car, or even a misuse by dealers' drivers while they drive your car to the dealership office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As I am waiting for delivery of my i10 Auto (a rare car in my area), I have repeatedly informed the sales manager to not even think of giving mine for test drives. It is supposed to reach the dealership today.
Seems like yours is the first one in Udupi. I've never seen one there before ;-)
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 11:01   #107
BHPian

Post Re: What do we do?? Ready to deliver cars given for Test Drives!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
As I am waiting for delivery of my i10 Auto (a rare car in my area), I have repeatedly informed the sales manager to not even think of giving mine for test drives. It is supposed to reach the dealership today.
Good that you are keeping track of everything. Now go and grab the car before some one takes a TD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
Adding my experience to this: I wanted to TD / buy the new WagonR, and went to Dewars garage. I was told that TD vehicle is undergoing repairs, but I was driven around in a ready to deliver vehicle (wasnt allowed to drive)
Mohan motors at sector 5 was too eager to help and gave me a supposedly TD vehicle - I found it had the odo/speedometer disconnected!
I lost my faith in Mohan, but this appears to be an industry norm.
MOHAN motors have got a lot of badnaams for all this. They have two huge maruti showrooms and they also own AUDI KOLKATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
If there is anyway one can get the number of the person, whose car is being offered for the test drive, call him/her and ask him/her to come to the showroom. May be an excuse like I want to talk and find out why this person decided to buy this vehicle might make the dealer give the number. It will be fun to watch what unfolds after that.
THat is next to impossible. The showroom people are not that foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Isn't it possible for to collect your car from the delivery place (some yard outside the city where all cars are delivered, and then dispatched to different dealers)? This way, we can at least avoid other people test-driving your car, or even a misuse by dealers' drivers while they drive your car to the dealership office!
That is very much possible for some but not for all.
Pancham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 12:54   #108
Senior - BHPian

If you suspect that you're driving someone else's car and not a TD vehicle (no demo stickers, odo disconnected, etc.), then walk away from that dealership. And do give him a piece of your mind before you go and publicize the incident on the forum for everyone else's benefit.

Hopefully, you'll find a dealer who refuses to let you TD cars that are waiting for delivery. That's the place to buy your car from!
McLaren Rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 13:01   #109
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: What do we do?? Ready to deliver cars given for Test Drives!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
The only way to avoid it is to Refuse to take a test drive in any car which does not have the "Demo" stickered all over it. Anything else and you might be ripping the car someone has paid for.
Is this viable? The stickers can any time be pasted and removed just before the delivery. If the "Demo car" is done as body graphics which would be painful to be removed once done, can be considered to be useful to be put on the vehicle used for TD's.

Would any car manufacturer provide any Company authorized demo car where the odo readings would be masked so that the prospective customer can test drive the vehicle purely for the basis of driving experience and not haggle with the dealer for new Test drive car which would eventually force the dealer to do some shady things.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 13:05   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Seems like yours is the first one in Udupi. I've never seen one there before ;-)
No really, my father-in-law got the same car in December from the same dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If you suspect that you're driving someone else's car and not a TD vehicle (no demo stickers, odo disconnected, etc.), then walk away from that dealership.
Only people in Metros can afford to do this. Otherwise, most smaller places have only one dealership per district.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 13:10   #111
BHPian

Well in my case I was offered a vehicle for test drive that did not have its odometer connected.
I realized this while driving and could not refuse .
The car was not a new one (at least 8 months old) but not marked as test drive car.
I don't know whether the dealership will sell it to someone or keep it as an old stock.
So being well informed while buying anything (not only car) is very important these days.
Surely VIN identification through Wildon T-bhp works well for us
HC
Habanero City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 13:15   #112
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This is a malaise due to the dealers. If the manufacturers see the need for better customer experience. They can handover the details of the car being shipped to the owner right when it gets loaded on the truck. The owner can track it himself right uptill the doorstep of the dealer. They already have a system in place. It needs them to give a link on their site. That's it.

But they wont, how then will the dealer sell the car to someone who is ready to pay more premium to get it before someone else. eg, Toyota Fortuner.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 13:17   #113
Senior - BHPian

I always refuse to TD a car if it is not a demo car.

When I bought my Alto, I avoided the dealerships that offered a non-demo car for TD, and went to one that refused me a TD because a demo car was unavailable! This despite them knowing I had the cash ready!

It is a different story that they filled "yes' in the Maruti questionnaire (meant for customers) under the column "Was a test drive offered"?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 13:27   #114
BHPian

I think if you find the odometer disconnected while TD or being given a ready to go vehicle for TD points it out to the dealer and if possible makes a complaint on the manufacturers website that you don't trust the dealership for so and so reasons. The ratio of TD:actual buying will be somewhere 10:1 as you tend to TD every vehicle available in the market and I am sure if even 3 people quote the reason for this as distrust over mal-practises like these, it sure will make a difference. We may not care where we buy our toothpaste from but when it comes to cars, the hell we will travel 20-30 km just for the right dealer.

Last edited by markmytravel : 4th February 2011 at 13:28. Reason: spell check
markmytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 13:36   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Is this viable? The stickers can any time be pasted and removed just before the delivery. If the "Demo car" is done as body graphics which would be painful to be removed once done, can be considered to be useful to be put on the vehicle used for TD's.
Yeah I mean that only, the TD cars on whom "DEMO" is written in big and bold flashy graphics across the doors. Usually a lot of Orange and Yellow is used in these eye catching stickers.

Last edited by download2live : 4th February 2011 at 13:37.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 14:07   #116
BHPian

Well, if it is a ready - to - be delivered car, it might have registration plates on, and one can trace the prospective owner through the RTO and inform him/her. Apart from that, I guess there is nothing anyone can do about it, sadly. :frustrati . But guys, FYI, my dad's TDed many cars that were not marked as TD vehicles; Jazz, i10, i20, Manza etc., but all of them had visible damage, were registered, seats had cigarette burns, engines were not in prime shape, the interiors smelled musty ( yes, even the Jazz's) and had their odo connected. But wait a minute, as I was just typing, I just remembered, the Polo and Vento we TDed looked like brand new cars!!!! What the hell, it didn't occur to us that those cars could be vehicles that were sold, nor had we checked their odos. I guess one has to be very careful, and if the car seems like its brand new, ask them if it is really a TD vehicle.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 14:23   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Well, if it is a ready - to - be delivered car, it might have registration plates on, and one can trace the prospective owner through the RTO and inform him/her. Apart from that, I guess there is nothing anyone can do about it, sadly. :frustrati .
IF it is registered the it is highly unlikely that the dealer will give it for a TD. They are not that foolish. Most of the times they are running on Temp. Plates.
Pancham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 14:44   #118
Senior - BHPian

Default repeat

I KNEW i had seen this topic before:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...you-avoid.html (Test Drive cars being sold to unsuspecting owners. How can you avoid this?)
Although its the other way around.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 14:56   #119
BANNED

Default Re: control emotions, say no.

Its bit difficult, but there is no other way. Otherwise I think its the Showroom people responsibility to provide TD cars as they should be aware that if they dont provide TD, they will lose a potential customer. But such thing will never happen because how bother about the same. We all should know that all the drivers on the road are not same and how can we tolerate that some ABC guy enjoy on my hard earned assets.
But I really commend Ford guys who straight forwardly refused my request to drive a Fusion, which has come for routine service. Now I feel my car is safe in their hands at least with this point of view.
Dr.Abhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 14:57   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
IF it is registered the it is highly unlikely that the dealer will give it for a TD. They are not that foolish. Most of the times they are running on Temp. Plates.
Nopes. They have permanent registrations. KA03MN.... , KA05MJ.... and such are not temp. numbers.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   Reply With Quote