Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th March 2013, 11:16   #46
BHPian

Default Re: German Cars with HR and CH number plates in Mumbai!

after 2 years Mumbai RTO realized what is happening!

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18899498.cms

From same news item

--

Sources in the regional transport office believed that the reason behind the drop might be the hefty rise in import duty and road tax, but some other officials refused to agree, saying increase in taxes, customs duty or excise had never been a deterrent to the affluent class, which bought foreign cars primarily for "status symbol". Some other officers pointed out that to avoid paying high registration fee and road tax in the city, many registered their imported vehicles in other states where the fees were much lower. As a result, the transport department here loses out on a huge amount of revenue generated through the taxes. In Mumbai, a car buyer has to pay a road tax, which ranges between 18 % and 20 % of the vehicle value, as well as octroi that adds up to a few lakhs of rupees for imported vehicles; in Chandigarh, the amount is as low as Rs 2,400, irrespective of the make of the car, and in Jharkhand, it is roughly 1-2% of the car value. In a bid to rein in these car owners who register their imported vehicles outside the state and illegally drive them in Mumbai, the RTO flying squad will be out on the road from Monday to identify such cars.
hemantwaghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 14:14   #47
BHPian

Chandigarh no longer has a fixed price for registration. The RTO has now adopted the percentage rule for registering new cars.
veedub89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 17:53   #48
BHPian

Cant blame luxury car owners to try and save some money. Why should we pay so much more when the same car can be bought elsewhere in the country so much cheaper. To top it off we have the worst roads in the country too. From what i hear people who are able to prove that they have a legitimate address in the state where the car is registered can continue using the cars in mumbai after paying maharashtra road tax.
manishk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013, 23:38   #49
BHPian

I believe the govt. was mulling taxes to be paid every 5 years or so. What is the current situation in Mumbai now, are people are getting away with doing PUC every month or so ?
rauldsouza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2013, 08:07   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauldsouza View Post
I believe the govt. was mulling taxes to be paid every 5 years or so. What is the current situation in Mumbai now, are people are getting away with doing PUC every month or so ?
What do you mean by PUC every month? AFAIK PUC is valid for a period of 6 months.

Regarding registration outside MH to save money, what is wrong with that? As an Indian citizen I can register my car anywhere I please, is there any law which prevents me from registering my car in CH if I have a house there?
And all that bullshit from officials of making people pay roadtaxes or get vehicles impounded. RTO official have no authority to impound any vehicle, he/she needs a police FIR for that. Had our members known the law, they wouldnt be bullied or fooled by moronic officials in Karnataka or elsewhere.

I have driven my car for more than a year in Bangalore with a MH04 number plate, openly, infact driven it for around 20k kms that year, and not even once anyone stopped me or challenged me to pay and change to a KA numberplate.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote