Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th January 2006, 10:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default A true dud according to BSM 2006 car buyer's guide

I am sure this would come as a shock to many, and set their blood boiling. I was just reading the 2006 car buyer's guide from BSM. At page 38, I saw this rating...

Tata Safari Dicor - Every once in a while. the automobile industry comes up with a true dud and the Safari Dicor is certainly a classic example.....
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 11:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its not a dud... but for a modern day diesel engine its pathetic.... redlines at 3000 RPM... and turbo comes after 1500 rpm so u got just 1500 rpm of power band to play with... sick!
What were TATA thinking when they decided to put this engine in Safari? Althought good for highway cruising its as bad as it gets for the city..... An awesome highway car YES... but in city it is a DUD.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 12:22   #3
BHPian

Samurai, look into your rear view mirror.. Steer and I are looming behind to eat you up
Yes.. the 3000 rpm redline is quite bothersome in the city.. it needs atleast 1000rpm more.. But on highways, its a different story..
Plus, the quality issues in the car are one too many.. Latest for me is that the battery died for no apparent reason on Sat evening last.. They sent me a replacement battery, took the car in for an electrical check up on Mon, found nothing
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 13:08   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

samurai and extreme torque .. get ready for a few brickbats , rotten tamatars and eggs from steeroid ... Trust me who ever says that a dicor is sluggish in city , u will redefine ur statement once u see steeroid make this monster move ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 4th January 2006 at 13:10.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 13:14   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

With no offence to existing Dicor owners, I think that the new Safari is a huge disappointment. I have not driven it personally, but from reviews (actual users and professionals alike), the engine is a huge disappointment in every situation but on the highway cruise mode.

Plus, it has just too many issues for a million rupee car. I know that some of you are coping with them very well, but if so many problems surface in the first one year...whats to tell after 3 years and 60000 kms?

The Safari was conceived before Tata actually mastered how to build cars i.e. post-Indica. Its not surprising then that the build quality is what it is.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 15:58   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
samurai and extreme torque .. get ready for a few brickbats , rotten tamatars and eggs from steeroid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Samurai, look into your rear view mirror.. Steer and I are looming behind to eat you up
Hey, why are you targeting me. I am just a messenger, target BSM if you can, it is their words. BTW, is somebody hinting that Dicor can beat a Baleno on a highway...
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 18:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

They don't slow down for culverts, remember!
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 18:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

well, the new safari DICOR is a good car- only a little late to the foray- three years late... but, there are flaws nevertheless, all of which, i'm sure, are being addressed to as we speak. still, tata's reputation for using the car buying public as test dummies remains...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 20:17   #9
Team-BHP Support

@nitinbagh, take a multimeter and stick to the battery terminals. Switch on AC lights etc., and see if you still get 13 volts approx. Those workshop guys are idiots, made me replace a perfectly working battery.

About the safari DICOR, well it was expected to be a dud. Why did tata release it? I guess they did not want people to forget the safari(which would have been a good thing IMHO). The Tata new UV platform codenamed X2 comes out in 2007. That will be the real tata suv, this is a stop gap replacement
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 22:12   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
About the safari DICOR, well it was expected to be a dud. Why did tata release it? I guess they did not want people to forget the safari(which would have been a good thing IMHO). The Tata new UV platform codenamed X2 comes out in 2007. That will be the real tata suv, this is a stop gap replacement
i liked what he said
but does this mean will dicor seconds would be as cheap as old safari
trinadha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 00:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh BSM...

1. I dont take BSM seriously - its good reading as in good english, but their reviews and opinions are surely not what you might call 'expert' opinion. Bunch of guys trying to regurgitate Wodehousian prose with some amount of success, thats about it. If you want the original, ask Jeeves.

2. The car has its flaws but that is w.r.t how it is put together. I personally dont find much to complain about the vehicle itself - city or highway. But then thats just the way I drive - others neednt agree. It does leave one slightly short of expectations but it is by no means a dud.

3. If you go through previous issues of BSM you will come across similar references to the Indica and Indigo. Tata and Hyundai vehicles dont feature in their bouquet of favourites, which consists of Fiat, Mahindra and Ford. Any crap dished out by these manufacturers will receive accolades from BSM and hundreds of 'which car' recommendations. I particularly remember a reader asking them specifically about the Indigo and BSM actually responding that they havent gotten around to testing it as yet. They recommended the Fiat Petra D to this reader when nobody was sure where that company was heading. I would therefore take their opinions with a large helping of salt.

I've just gotten back home and have been getting re-acquainted with the Safari. It had been called in for a 'software upgrade' (ECU tweak?) last week and my friend who keeps the vehicle said its become significantly smoother after that. After driving it around the city today I tend to agree - the vehicle is a lot smoother at the 1800~2000 rpm band where it used to vibrate.

As for Samurai's query.....I'll take you up on it after Psycho finds out a way to delimit the top speed in 5th. Till then I'm stuck at 2300 rpm on my last cog.

And yeah v1p3r - we dont brake for nothing! See you on Sunday!
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 01:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ah yes, BSM. Well, I still pick them as my favourite. They got soul!

The Safari is still a beautiful vehicle. True, the plastics would befit a Lada, and the size doesn't make it easy to drive, but still man, that thing is something else. And a certain Duabi-based entrepreneur drives his like it's a li'l two seater petrol thing.

I will reserve my opinion for when I get a test drive. (HINT HINT)
Old 5th January 2006, 01:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
I will reserve my opinion for when I get a test drive. (HINT HINT)
Hint taken...there's a certain blue Baleno that I'd like to throw around a wee bit, too.

Dud or Scud, lets see for ourselves.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 01:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Throw around? Me and my big mouth...

Done deal, my man. You can take down Hondas and Mitsubishis, while I toy with Ashok Leylands and Tempo Travellers.
Old 5th January 2006, 03:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

the safari dicor is not that bad and only the people who own it can tell it,if it would have been perfect do you think they would sell it for this price.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote