Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 19:54   #136
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 525
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by aveoman19 View Post
Engine clatter and vibration levels are obvious, but I'd be happy to live with the clatter than going back home with an empty purse. Bring it on GM!
4-cylinder common-rail diesels are One of the most Silent engines seen till to date in our country and a Quick drive of Well maintained Swift or Swift Dzire will wash all of your such kinds of doubts about Diesels(being noisy).
Even at a times, it feels even more silent than MS's 1.2l K-Series petrol engine.
However 3-cylinder diesel engines are altogether a different story till to date starting from 1.0l Naturally Aspirated Daihatsu diesel to Accent CRDi to Polo 1.2 TDi engines, expect soft clutter this time for Beat 1.0 MjD due to its smaller capacity cylinder size.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 20:23   #137
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,376
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
4-cylinder common-rail diesels are One of the most Silent engines seen till to date in our country and a Quick drive of Well maintained Swift or Swift Dzire will wash all of your such kinds of doubts about Diesels(being noisy).
Even at a times, it feels even more silent than MS's 1.2l K-Series petrol engine.
However 3-cylinder diesel engines are altogether a different story till to date starting from 1.0l Naturally Aspirated Daihatsu diesel to Accent CRDi to Polo 1.2 TDi engines, expect soft clutter this time for Beat 1.0 MjD due to its smaller capacity cylinder size.
The 3 cylinder engines, even the petrol ones have been criticised for their refinement (or the lack of it!) Accent CRDi,A-star, Polo petrol have all been victims of this. Hope the Chevy manages to do something about this.
aravind.anand is offline  
Old 16th May 2011, 23:43   #138
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,447
Thanked: 6,422 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
So there is a TCDi and VCDi That's very good news. The rear species (that's us) will be satisfied with some more power
I dont think Beat will have a VCDi. All of the scoop pics posted here sports a TCDi badge. Chevy has VCDi for Cruze & Captiva. Even the optra magnum has a TCDi engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
The 3 cylinder engines, even the petrol ones have been criticised for their refinement (or the lack of it!) Accent CRDi,A-star, Polo petrol have all been victims of this. Hope the Chevy manages to do something about this.
I don't think they can do anything to the engine noise. The best bet would be to have a good NVH inside the cabin with windows rolled up. From outside even the 4 cylinder DDiS sounds a bit hard, but much better when the windows are rolled up.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 17th May 2011, 00:02   #139
BHPian
 
Naparajito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Caught this car on the coimbature-Bangalore highway. Talked to the driver who was very polite, said that it'll come with a 3 cylinder engine with power output of about 63Bhp.

Here are few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-photo1526.jpg  

Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-photo1525.jpg  

Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-photo1524.jpg  

Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-photo1523.jpg  

Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details. Update: Brochure on pg 22-photo1522.jpg  

Naparajito is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 00:32   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Smart move by GM. I think it will do something special to the market with the difference between petrol an diesel around Rs 25 now.
OT: I would be even more happy to see a Diesel Spark. That will find a lot of takers. Currently Beat with its unconventional looks is making lot of people go away.
download2live is offline  
Old 17th May 2011, 00:46   #141
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 525
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Caught this car on the coimbature-Bangalore highway. Talked to the driver who was very polite, said that it'll come with a 3 cylinder engine with power output of about 63Bhp.
Nice Scoop.
63PS for 1.0l, 3-cylinder engine sounds great but this can't be extracted without the use of bigger Turbocharger. So, Expect somewhat Turbo-lag in this car with Scorching Driveability.
CRtorquefan is offline  
Old 17th May 2011, 18:45   #142
BHPian
 
zalaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GJ 1
Posts: 295
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Diesel!
Under 4 Lakh!
3 Year Maint. Program!

Aur Yeh Sab:
Beat Ke Saath!

Enjoy recently aired Beat Ad. It certainly adds new flavor in diesel arrival.
zalaps is offline  
Old 17th May 2011, 20:26   #143
BHPian
 
designersf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 602
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Turbo-lag or no turbo-lag, this is one amazing car! Think of it - under 4 lakhs and a diesel. What else do you need for no-nonsense commuting? The i10 and WagonR should be worried. Only other diesel small car is the Tata Nano which is yet to come. So all in all, the Beat has the segment to itself.

PS - I think 63bhp is a tall claim. Maybe the driver didnt tell the actual figure?
designersf is offline  
Old 17th May 2011, 21:23   #144
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 582 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Caught this car on the coimbature-Bangalore highway. Talked to the driver who was very polite, said that it'll come with a 3 cylinder engine with power output of about 63Bhp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I think 63bhp is a tall claim. Maybe the driver didnt tell the actual figure?
I remember reading the specs of this engine sometime back. IIRC, Power mentioned was 57bhp and torque of 140 Nm @ 1,750 rpm.
fiat_tarun is offline  
Old 17th May 2011, 21:56   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vizag
Posts: 1,981
Thanked: 1,338 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Yes, 3-pot engine may have some clutter but what the heck! Look at the bright side. Swift Diesels return as much as 20-22 kmpl ( on feather-light driving ). Imagine Beat then. 25-30 kmpl may not be impossible. All the 3-pot clutter will be forgotten and forgiven then. With fuel prices skyrocketing, Beat would make perfect sense for intra-city use. We burn most fuel within city in bumper-to-bumper crawl and at traffic signals without even realising it. Imagine doing same in Beat. At the end of your all-day inner-city run, fuel gauge needle will be almost at the same spot as was in the morning. Your face will then look like this,.
pgsagar is offline  
Old 18th May 2011, 00:12   #146
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,447
Thanked: 6,422 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Diesel!
Under 4 Lakh!
3 Year Maint. Program!
As of now none of the Chevy diesels are having the 3 year package. On the other hand, if the premium is just a 15% on the diesel, its highly unlikely that they will give a 3 year maintenance package along with that. In fact I would not even bother about the plan as the car itself will be sweetly priced. Hope they retain the high end with all features of petrol top end.

Cant wait for its launch.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 18th May 2011, 00:24   #147
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 525
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Talked to the driver who was very polite, said that it'll come with a 3 cylinder engine with power output of about 63Bhp.
Haven't you tried to check out its engine note/noise, at the time when you were having that conversation with its driver ?
Do share some information on this NVH aspect of the car.
CRtorquefan is offline  
Old 18th May 2011, 14:18   #148
BHPian
 
Naparajito's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 238
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
CRtorquefan Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito
Talked to the driver who was very polite, said that it'll come with a 3 cylinder engine with power output of about 63Bhp.

Haven't you tried to check out its engine note/noise, at the time when you were having that conversation with its driver ?
Do share some information on this NVH aspect of the car.
He stopped in some dhaba. We too stopped there and acted as if it was a normal petrol beat just being transported. Then i asked that guy what was that VDCi badging? He replied that it was a diesel and its gonna be launched soon. It'll have a 1L engine with a output of 63Bhp. Then we left as it was getting late.
Naparajito is offline  
Old 18th May 2011, 14:58   #149
BHPian
 
vinya_jag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 342
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Yes, 3-pot engine may have some clutter but what the heck! Look at the bright side. Swift Diesels return as much as 20-22 kmpl ( on feather-light driving ). Imagine Beat then. 25-30 kmpl may not be impossible. All the 3-pot clutter will be forgotten and forgiven then. With fuel prices skyrocketing, Beat would make perfect sense for intra-city use. We burn most fuel within city in bumper-to-bumper crawl and at traffic signals without even realising it. Imagine doing same in Beat. At the end of your all-day inner-city run, fuel gauge needle will be almost at the same spot as was in the morning. Your face will then look like this,.

Great news. The Beat need not tackle the big guys. Leave the Indicab alone. Beat cannot match it for space. So, no taxi business.
Next, Leave the Figo and the Swift alone. Beat cannot again match them for space and size.

The 1 liter 3 pot would now surely open up a new segment.
A small city car nimble handling, Frugal than most cars, Possibly costing the same as its petrol variant.
Yes, you get a little less power, probably not suited for the big highways, but how many would take their cars on highways? This could be a second car for any household. Perfect for office commute.
Price again should not exceed 5L on road. I see a winner here.
vinya_jag is offline  
Old 18th May 2011, 16:18   #150
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Beat would be the car to beat if they can manage 4lakh price with a diesel engine. The small size will also be an advantage in the city for a nuclear family of 2+2. The FE will be an added bonus. I guess it will challenge the figo sales numbers if not the swift.

It will be a mistake ofcourse if they price it at par with figo and swift. it has to undercut these cars variant for variant by atleast 40K.
vishnurp99 is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed Eminenttismo The International Automotive Scene 10 12th August 2013 09:13
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat) superutp Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 42 21st February 2013 12:06
New GM Chevrolet Beat- Scoop pics on Pg 6, 12,18 & 22 - Details on Pg 16 sidindica The Indian Car Scene 393 7th December 2009 17:23
New Tata Indigo Manza Details : Brochure on Page 36 EDIT : Now launched sidindica The Indian Car Scene 689 15th October 2009 16:37
Spied:2009 chevrolet optra J200 and chevrolet beat M300 (matiz) sidindica The Indian Car Scene 41 29th May 2009 08:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks