Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:06   #226
BHPian
 
kar.carthik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: coimbatore
Posts: 64
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasana_19 View Post
Hi,

I heard Spark LPG perfromance is way ahead of Santro's and Wagon R's performance. Could you please share your experience?
@prasana - Initially the car had flawless performance on Lpg. But now that its almost 2 years and 22,000 kms old some issues keep popping up. I've had missing and engine misfire problems. They changed the whole set of spark plugs and cables for this. Again the problem came up and they changed the wires connected to engine coil. For the 3rd time the problem arouse and they had cleaned the small filter element in the Lpg unit. It seems to be ok now but I dont get the old performance or mileage. I get a lukewarm 9 to 10 Kmpl on Lpg. I use the car 70% on Lpg and 20% on petrol (can u imagine driving it on petrol with this kind of mileage).

The simple excuse I get from the Chevy service is that the Lpg I use is bad and they ask me to try every Lpg Station in town. My place only has 3 outlets. Sad.

If at all the Figo had been launched at the time of my purchase,I would have made a wiser decision about it. It is shocking to hear from Chevy Dealers (Service reps) and a couple of company (Chevy) staffs say Lpg is not a good option. Let me ask,"Why on earth do you sell them if you know they are not good?"
kar.carthik is offline  
Old 22nd June 2011, 15:39   #227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 60
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar.carthik View Post
@prasana - Initially the car had flawless performance on Lpg. But now that its almost 2 years and 22,000 kms old some issues keep popping up. I've had missing and engine misfire problems. They changed the whole set of spark plugs and cables for this. Again the problem came up and they changed the wires connected to engine coil. For the 3rd time the problem arouse and they had cleaned the small filter element in the Lpg unit. It seems to be ok now but I dont get the old performance or mileage. I get a lukewarm 9 to 10 Kmpl on Lpg. I use the car 70% on Lpg and 20% on petrol (can u imagine driving it on petrol with this kind of mileage).

The simple excuse I get from the Chevy service is that the Lpg I use is bad and they ask me to try every Lpg Station in town. My place only has 3 outlets. Sad.

If at all the Figo had been launched at the time of my purchase,I would have made a wiser decision about it. It is shocking to hear from Chevy Dealers (Service reps) and a couple of company (Chevy) staffs say Lpg is not a good option. Let me ask,"Why on earth do you sell them if you know they are not good?"

Oh thats really sad. I am also from CBE only and now again am in a quandary, as i almost finalised BEAT or SPARK LPG, if BEAT Diesel launch gets dragged further, as Anaimalai's people told tht diesel version will be launched by July 1st week at a very competitive price and they started booking also.
prasana_19 is offline  
Old 22nd June 2011, 16:08   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,378
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

I think its Ford Figo, whose party might be spoilt by the Chevy Beat diesel. As the Beat would also offer exceptional VFM, a key factor for the Figo's success and popularity!
aravind.anand is offline  
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:08   #229
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 315 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Beat has to be at-least 40-50k cheaper on-road than the Figo for similar models. Its a size smaller than the Figo for sure.

While the ARAI figures may show a 3-4 kmpl difference, the real word difference would slightly lower to like 1-2 at max considering the Ford engine is a almost zero lag engine while the Beat engine may require some effort to be lugged.
dipen is offline  
Old 22nd June 2011, 18:51   #230
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

The car has not launched yet? I see the car almost every day in my office complex.
mail4ajo is offline  
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:41   #231
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 190
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

i dont feel Beat diesel will affect Figo sales, Figo is now well acknowleged by everyone as good VFM with all characters ,it has space comfort, handling and engine with almost zero turbo lag.

Though Beat has good design and excellent dash it is slighly cramped for 3 at the back and highway driving is better in Figo and Figo is most sutiable for both City and Highway usage.


-MUKE
muke31 is offline  
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:50   #232
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

SVP on the CNB page has posted that a all Electric variant of Beat will be showcased by GM as well. Good news and must be true coming from SVP
Mr.Beat is online now  
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:59   #233
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
While the ARAI figures may show a 3-4 kmpl difference, the real word difference would slightly lower to like 1-2 at max considering the Ford engine is a almost zero lag engine while the Beat engine may require some effort to be lugged.
If you drive a car in highway with a light foot in the 60-70 kmph range, you can easily attain a 4-5 kmpl more than the ARAI figures. I have managed more than 2-3 kmpl on my highway drives [80% AC] even after doing triple digit speeds for 70% of the drive. In city, yes it drops. I guess the difference in ARAI mileage drop will not be different for different brands as I believe ARAI testing is not done on roads and hence based power / torque characteristics. But I would not mind getting experts' tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
The car has not launched yet? I see the car almost every day in my office complex.
Sure its a diesel ? The car is supposed to be launched somewhere in mid July as per reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muke31 View Post
highway driving is better in Figo and Figo is most sutiable for both City and Highway usage.
Your post is confusing, did you mean to say Beat is a good city car & Figo is good for both? Infact as per ACI review, Beat D's suspension has been tuned for comfort than sports mode [stiff suspension] in Beat P.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd June 2011 at 20:00.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 22nd June 2011, 20:17   #234
BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 158 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

How could the pricing be 50k less than the Figo? They have to keep some distance from the Beat petrol siblings - atleast 75K apart? It could even be 1L higher than the petrol equivalent, as is the current trend.. In that case, we are around the Figo pricing.

Or does anyone smell price cuts in the petrol pricing? Dont think they have much room though..
Equus is offline  
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:17   #235
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
It could even be 1L higher than the petrol equivalent, as is the current trend.. In that case, we are around the Figo pricing.

Or does anyone smell price cuts in the petrol pricing? Dont think they have much room though..
The Beat D is supposed to be priced just a 10-15% more then the Beat P. So I guess we will see the high end having a difference of 50-60K [or lesser] between the P & D prices. Dont expect discounts on the petrol price, but the diesel price should be very competitive if they go this way.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 22nd June 2011, 22:28   #236
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 60
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang language is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Kindly ensure that you type in full & proper English, for the benefit of other board users.

We hereby advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2011 at 20:37.
prasana_19 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:29   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,378
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Your post is confusing, did you mean to say Beat is a good city car & Figo is good for both? Infact as per ACI review, Beat D's suspension has been tuned for comfort than sports mode [stiff suspension] in Beat P.
A softer suspension is more suitable for city usage as it absorbs large bumps at slow speeds, but will result is bouncing action when the speeds increase, so even if the suspension has been softened, it means Chevy wants the Beat diesel to be more of a city dweller. Even the now lighter EPS suggests the same right?
aravind.anand is offline  
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:09   #238
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 245
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

But why a 3 cylinder? I could have paid 20k's more if I could get a full blown 1.3 MJD. Yes, the lower price will drive people to the showrooms but underpowered stories will catch like wildfire and it wont be good for the car or it sales.
akhilesh is offline  
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:18   #239
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,378
Thanked: 1,791 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
But why a 3 cylinder? I could have paid 20k's more if I could get a full blown 1.3 MJD. Yes, the lower price will drive people to the showrooms but underpowered stories will catch like wildfire and it wont be good for the car or it sales.
Not just for the sake of price or efficiency boss, Chevy couldn't have fit the relatively large 1.3 MJD under the Beats hood. So they would have had to design an all new 4 cylinder, 1 L Diesel mill. But that would take a lot of R&D as it would be a new engine and thus would raise the cost too. Thus this relatively less expensive cylinder chop job I suppose
aravind.anand is offline  
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:26   #240
BHPian
 
vinya_jag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 342
Thanked: 163 Times
Default Re: Scoop: Chevrolet Beat DIESEL pictures and details

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
But why a 3 cylinder? I could have paid 20k's more if I could get a full blown 1.3 MJD. Yes, the lower price will drive people to the showrooms but underpowered stories will catch like wildfire and it wont be good for the car or it sales.
Under-powered sure it will be. But this should not be compared to a Figo or a Swift diesel. This could be a new segment created. Beat is a very light and small car. This could become the next Alto. Peppy in the cities and extremely fuel efficient on the highways.

And yes, other cars have their diesel engines priced at least 1 Lakh more than their petrol sibling mostly because of the capacity increase.
Figo fits their Fiesta 1.4 engine which is from one segment higher.
Swift has to pay the premium to Fiat for their diesel engines.

But there won't be any such problems for the Beat. The capacity will be lesser than the petrol sibling and probably might save a bit on the tax front.
I will not be surprised if this is priced very close to the petrol variant.
A cylinder less can probably make up for the component costs.
vinya_jag is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The First Affordable EV: Chevrolet Beat EV, details revealed Eminenttismo The International Automotive Scene 10 12th August 2013 09:13
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat) superutp Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 42 21st February 2013 12:06
New GM Chevrolet Beat- Scoop pics on Pg 6, 12,18 & 22 - Details on Pg 16 sidindica The Indian Car Scene 393 7th December 2009 17:23
New Tata Indigo Manza Details : Brochure on Page 36 EDIT : Now launched sidindica The Indian Car Scene 689 15th October 2009 16:37
Spied:2009 chevrolet optra J200 and chevrolet beat M300 (matiz) sidindica The Indian Car Scene 41 29th May 2009 08:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks