Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th February 2011, 18:17   #1
BHPian

Default 2 cars with the same temporary numbers!Is this possible

Friends and fellow Bhpians ,today when I was driving back from college I noticed two brand new polos having the same temporary registration numbers,is this possible?
One was white while the other one was of grey colour.
Can this be some bid to avoid some costs or tax or anything else or is it legal which I don't think it is.
I am attaching pictures of both the cars and eagerly wait a reply from fellow Bhpians.
Attached Thumbnails
2 cars with the same temporary numbers!Is this possible-img00942201102181327.jpg  

2 cars with the same temporary numbers!Is this possible-img00940201102181326.jpg  

np23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 2 cars with the same temporary numbers!Is this possible

Yes it is very much possible. I too saw a punto bought from the same dealer as I did and it had same GJW 01 XX XXXX registration number plate. GJW is. Temp reg plate for Ahmedabad RTO.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can this be some bid to avoid some costs or tax or anything else or is it legal which I don't think it is.
This is the second instance here where two skodas had the same Temp Registration number. This definitely looks like an act to save cost and assuming the owner will never realise that the number is already supplied to another customer.

The dealers should be taken to the court and punished.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

The numbers in the picture is NOT a temporary registration. Its a Trade Certificate number. This certificate is used by the dealer to transport the cars from their warehouse to the dealership, or dealership to the RTO (for temp/permanent registration).

Often Dealers use the "TC" numbers on their Test Drive vehicles - which is illegal. TC is strictly for moving the vehicle around, and not to carry passengers or for test drives.

AND, a Dealer usually has only one TC number. He'd move all his cars using that number. I am not sure what would be the legal part if such a car is involved in an accident.

Last edited by binaiks : 18th February 2011 at 18:37.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
The numbers in the picture is NOT a temporary registration. Its a Trade Certificate number. This certificate is used by the dealer to transport the cars from their warehouse to the dealership, or dealership to the RTO (for temp/permanent registration).

Often Dealers use the "TC" numbers on their Test Drive vehicles - which is illegal. TC is strictly for moving the vehicle around, and not to carry passengers or for test drives.

AND, a Dealer usually has only one TC number. He'd move all his cars using that number. I am not sure what would be the legal part if such a car is involved in an accident.
Thank you and sorry for not knowing this,I thought this to be fishy so put it up,thank you
np23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:39   #6
BHPian

I am not sure . but i remember once a dealer told me that the dealer will be having a temp registration number which can be used on their vehicles which they bring from the yard to the showroom. So they might use this on more than one if they are to be transported to the showroom from elsewhere nearby.
xenxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:39   #7
BHPian

If I am not mistaken, this is a "Trade Certificate" number and not a temporary registration number assigned by the RTO. But I am not sure whether two cars can have the same TC Number. You cannot drive in town using a TC Number. It's jurisdiction is only for a car's journey from Factory -> Dealer Yard -> Showroom -> RTO.

EDIT: binaiks has already pointed this out.
salilpawar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 18:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

"White on red" plates are colloquially referred to as "garage plates", and are not allotted on an individual car basis, but to a car dealer, to use when road-testing/transporting unregistered cars, before registration. The dealer usually has a few of these registrations allotted to his name, and although he is supposed to use these plates on only one car at one time, this and other instances show that he does make multiple copies of the same plate and uses them on different cars - which is illegal.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote