Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th February 2011, 00:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Cars being stolen from showrooms!

Seems like bunty is active. Looks like it is going to be A~Bad experience for the dealership. Hope they catch bunty soon.
He is definately going to sell the spares, it would be too risky to sell the car as a whole. Anyways a lot of q7's are going to be stopped by the cops now.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 00:39   #17
BHPian

Didn't the audi showroom have CCTV cameras?

What about the license photocopies which are mandatory before test drives? I assume from this case, it isn't so for "luxury" car buyers.
himanshu_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 00:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, you mean to say lot of Q7 owners buy spares from chor bazaars? Why would people who own 80L cars buy stolen parts in grey market? I find it very hard to believe.
Samurai you have no idea about how well this market thrives.A lot of people buy these cars used just for the show of owning a 80 lakh rupee car.But they fail to pay the high bills for parts etc.
So they go to these shops which sell the parts for half the price.Where do these shops get the parts from? Chor Baazaar!

come over to Khan Market in delhi and look for yourself.There are tens of mercs and bmw and audi's standing getting parts like headlights,bumpers etc replaced at 30-40% of the original part's cost.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 01:13   #19
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I had a good laugh reading the article. Typical filmy style of running away with the car. Audi showrooms are pretty stern on who can test drive. I guess the thief's impeccable English, gold jewelry and expensive clothes should have ticked all the boxes in the sales guy's red book.

Poor fellow, I feel sorry for the sales.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 01:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
come over to Khan Market in delhi and look for yourself.There are tens of mercs and bmw and audi's standing getting parts like headlights,bumpers etc replaced at 30-40% of the original part's cost.
Exactly what I wanted to say. You can find all brands from bmw, audis, porschas etc getting serviced and getting parts from khan market. Its a very old and reliable place for most people (both who buy new and pre owned) to get parts for their high end cars. And yes they definitely are replaced for under 50% of the original cost.

I remember an incidence when me and my cousin went to khan market to get side mirrors for lancer in 2003 (bloody costed a bomb), an S-Class of a well know dairy products owner was there to get new head lights, grill and bumper. The auto parts guy said that they usually send people to thailand to get parts for these cars and it costs about 40-50% of original.

These days one can even find parts for most high end cars in karol bagh and kasmiri gate.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 20th February 2011 at 01:50.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 02:59   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_j View Post
What about the license photocopies which are mandatory before test drives? I assume from this case, it isn't so for "luxury" car buyers.
In 'ALL' the TD's I've taken, no one has ever asked me my license. Most Sales guys(atleast in my place), try to impress customers, and seldom ask these documents.

and.. May be the guy 'really wanted to experience' the Q7 no matter what, but didn't have the dough to actually, buy it. So just drove off. .
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 09:38   #22
BHPian

Maybe the stolen parts get sold to dealers through a parallel gray mkt channel. Maybe the dealer himself has got his car lifted ... watching too many con movies lately.
p'arth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 10:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

The showroom better make use of it's CCTV footage and release his identity to the public and the police. He should be nabbed soon.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 10:45   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Surprising way to steal! Mercedes and BMW are reporting sales of 100 plus cars at a time from Aurangabad and the Audi Q7 had to go away this way.
It's Ahmedabad not Aurangabad.

As Q7 is not an easy car to hide unless the thief wants to use it sparingly and keep it under cover most of the times. What I feel is he will use the car to his heart's content and abandon it pretty soon.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 12:00   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
In 'ALL' the TD's I've taken, no one has ever asked me my license. Most Sales guys(atleast in my place), try to impress customers, and seldom ask these documents.

and.. May be the guy 'really wanted to experience' the Q7 no matter what, but didn't have the dough to actually, buy it. So just drove off. .
I believe it must be my age why they consider it mandatory
But I recently TD'ed the nissan micra, vw polo and vento along with the figo, barring the ford dealership, i was asked for my license copy at both nissan and vw.
himanshu_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 12:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

There is a booming market for stolen cars in Nepal and North East. That is apart from cannibalisation. The modus operandi is to drive the car using back roads all the way to Nepal and sell it there. Or else drive it to the North East bypassing all the check posts. In fact it would be easier to drive Q7 over rough terrain than take a normal sedan! From what I have heard all the identifying numbers - engine, chassis etc are changed (don't know how) and new registration papers generated. As in most of these places the cars are never taken to dealer for maintenance, they are rarely caught. Add to that the fact that its is mostly local politicians or goons who get such vehicle (a normal business man would be hounded constantly for money and extortion), it is a no brainer that they are never traced.

Every year over 10K vehicles are stolen and never recovered in Delhi alone.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 12:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Boss same method was adopted in one of the TV comedy shows
This was few years back there used to be a TV show by cyrus broacha and every show used to have something different subject.

In one of the show a sikh gentleman (Part playes by Abhishek Bacchan) enters Skoda showroom and asks for a test drive, now everyone in the show room knew about this prank to be played on a particular sales person.

Abhishek goes to test drive and some where near Juhu beach he asks this sales guy to get water bottle,when he gets out to buy the bottle Abhishek drives away the car leaving the poor guy behind with water bottle in his hand, immediately this sales guy calls showroom and tells them that sardarji has gone away with the car, The manager shouts at him and tells him to go find the car in the mumbai city but come to showroom first.

By now Abhishek comes back to showroom and they park the cark in the showroom and Abhishek changes to normal dress.

When this sales guy comes back he faces music from the manager about lost car which actually was parked besides him, now after much leg pulling all disclose the truth and Abhishek hugs him and says sorry for the jokes played on him. Ha ha ha ha.

But in this case of Audi it is actual theft I think this chor got the inspiration from this serial episode.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 20th February 2011 at 12:48.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 12:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

^^
Yes I was thinking of the same (MTV Bakra!) when I read the first post. Hope they find the culprit and recover the vehicle soon.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 13:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
^^
Yes I was thinking of the same (MTV Bakra!) when I read the first post. Hope they find the culprit and recover the vehicle soon.
It wont be a difficult job by cops unless they are serious in the search job.
Such a big and expensive car cannot be driven around without heads turning by everyone.

And about car taken to Nepal or UP or Bihar is out of question, what I feel is this chor may be want to show off to his gal and go for a spin in the car.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 13:12   #30
BHPian

My assumption.. The guy steals the posh car, & puts in another Q7's plate copy! These segments cars are not driven by the am junta, so the cops would not bother to stop & check. Well he's a happy man afterall, eh!? Most of these Q7's I have seen are used by the most influentials!!
tantragna is offline   Reply With Quote