Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th February 2011, 21:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Cars being stolen from showrooms!

Man drives away with 80-lakh Audi from A’bad showroom
TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Ahmedabad: A suave customer flashing a Rado watch, gold necklaces and expensive clothes on Thursday walked into a car showroom on SG highway and took off with an Audi Q7 worth around Rs 80 lakh.
The showroom officials realised, too late, that the chic demeanour was a ploy and the customer was a thief. A complaint of car theft was later lodged by Chandrakant Shah, an employee of the Audi showroom, with the Vastrapur police station. According to the complainant, the man in his early 30s had identified himself as Bhavesh Kabra.

The man, who speaks good English, walked into the showroom in the afternoon and first impressed the employees with his style and then sought to test drive his “favourite car” — Audi Q7.

Sales representative Chandresh Desai accompanied the ‘customer’ for the test ride. “Desai says they drove down the SG highway. Near the Science City, the man asked Desai to drive the vehicle as he wanted to enjoy the view from the backseat. He stepped out of the white-coloured car and Desai followed suit. Before Desai could walk around to the driver’s seat, the man quickly got into the car and drove off,” said S M Parmar, sub-inspector of Vastrapur police station. Though all police check posts were alerted, the vehicle is yet to be traced.

Source : e-paper Sign-in
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 22:06   #2
BHPian

Default re: Cars being stolen from showrooms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I don't thing he is going to get away with it so easily. There are not many Q7 around and unless he smuggles it out of country quickly, he will be caught soon.
ajay0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 22:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Boss no offence but I don't agree with your statement " not many Q7". There are tons of them around india. Also there are gangs who don't intend to sell the car as a whole, but instead knock down and sell the spares.
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 22:24   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I read the title at least five times before really understanding it. Man drives away Audi from A bad showroom (missed the tiny apostrophe completely) - what could be a bad showroom was my thought
Anyway, funny incident - not sure how long he can hide it.
RakishRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 22:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
I read the title at least five times before really understanding it. Man drives away Audi from A bad showroom (missed the tiny apostrophe completely) - what could be a bad showroom was my thought
Anyway, funny incident - not sure how long he can hide it.
+1 - I was thinking what could be A "bad" showroom. And I convinced myself that any cars, not only Audi, can be driven away A "bad" showroom. These cars don't have any satellite tracking / remote shutdown and all?

Off topic: Blame the hi-tec movies for me asking such dumb questions.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 22:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is very interesting news. Appreciate the thief's good execution of this theft idea!!

Could this be a drama? May be the showroom guys set this up?

Last edited by clevermax : 19th February 2011 at 22:44.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 23:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Could this be a drama? May be the showroom guys set this up?
What for ??? Please explain ? Negative publicity ? I think not.
& anyway even if you take it that way, Audi have more than their fair share of negative publicity thanks to the Shreyans scam in Mumbai.
Staging such a gimmick would make no sense whatsoever
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 23:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprising way to steal! Mercedes and BMW are reporting sales of 100 plus cars at a time from Aurangabad and the Audi Q7 had to go away this way.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 23:26   #9
BHPian

"the man spoke good english"

This country is not going anywhere if this is the mentality.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 23:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well; after reading gtabombay's Story of a Pajero theft thread, and from the guy who was caught in Gurgaon stealing bikes, it seems that there is a whole chain in place. This guy's role could have been to sneak away in the car and then pass it on to someone else, who then passes it on further and so on. It doesnt look like the guy who steals the car has to worry about selling it anymore. Movie script material, anyone?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 23:55   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also there are gangs who don't intend to sell the car as a whole, but instead knock down and sell the spares.
Hmm, you mean to say lot of Q7 owners buy spares from chor bazaars? Why would people who own 80L cars buy stolen parts in grey market? I find it very hard to believe.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 23:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Well; after reading gtabombay's Story of a Pajero theft thread, and from the guy who was caught in Gurgaon stealing bikes, it seems that there is a whole chain in place. This guy's role could have been to sneak away in the car and then pass it on to someone else, who then passes it on further and so on. It doesnt look like the guy who steals the car has to worry about selling it anymore. Movie script material, anyone?

Let's wait and watch how the story unfolds on this one. One more hot tread to keep tab upon!

Cheers,
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 00:03   #13
BHPian

This is sorta confusing. What does the thief intend to do with the car??

He will be caught quite soon assuming the police are quick to act because he could have crossed state boundaries.
veedub89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 00:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Even I thought it was a bad showroom. May be a customer taking revenge on bad service given to him

But, I had read the article in the morning and found it to be worthy to consider in the gone in 60 awards.

As some one stated here, they can knock them down and sell the spares. Good profit
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 00:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, you mean to say lot of Q7 owners buy spares from chor bazaars? Why would people who own 80L cars buy stolen parts in grey market? I find it very hard to believe.
If it cannot be knocked down and sold off as parts, the only guy who can use it with impunity has to be some politician or a local strongman (not much difference between the two anyways). Who else can drive around with such a vehicle and not be bothered about being caught.
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote