Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th July 2014, 01:13   #31
Default Re: Transfer of registration after death of vehicle's owner?

Originally Posted by malq View Post
wanderluster - what is the street value of the car, would it make more sense just to scrap it and destroy the RC?
Hi Malq - The street value is probably around 50-60k and this was an option I was considering (scrapping the car). Not worth spending another 10-15k taking the car back/ travelling to Shimla to get the paper work transferred now. Knowing how the system works, it's just not worth the time. I need to do my homework on how to do this though.
wanderluster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2014, 07:31   #32
Default Re: Transfer of registration after death of vehicle's owner?

There is a minimum 100/- per month escalating scale as penalties for delayed transfer in Delhi. In addition, there will be penalties for back-dating PUC, insurance and any more documents that they can think of. Then, if the vehicle is over 15 years old, there will be a "Fitness Test".

Harsh reality is that a deceased person can not be prosecuted. If you have ample private parking available anywhere, and if the car is a carb version of any make, then those from the '60s and now even '70s are already acquiring cult status in some cases and may achieve a decent resale price after 50-60 years of holding on to it, for people who want it to cannibalise parts from.

Best of luck.
malq is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote