Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 28th February 2011, 17:07   #1
BHPian

Default Independent vehicle inspectors

Hello All,

I am planning to file a consumer court case against concorde motors for their bad workmanship and refusal to repair the vehicle under engine overhaul warranty.

Before I file the case, I'd like to know if there is any govt recognized engineer or certifying agent who can diagnose the cause of overhead camshaft breakage and provide me a legitimate report which I can show as proof at the court?

Thanks,
/Ajeesh
ajeeshonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 00:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Independent vehicle inspectors

Option 1.

An insurance surveyor or a chartered engineer, preferably one with graduate (BE / B.Sc(Engg) ) mechanical engg. qualifications. (Auto engg. guys are hard to come by).

Find them listed in the yellow pages; or contact any trusted guy dealing with auto insurance. Even if the first reference does not have a proper qualification, he may refer you to one who has the academic qualifications.

Option 2.

A lecturer / professor / teacher in any engineering college or a polytechnic. These would be easier to find.

If possible get 2 - 3 of them, and ask the court to appoint one of them as expert or "commissioner". That way, their report will hold more weight.

Forget it if they cannot distinguish between a clam shell and a cam shaft - what counts in courts is their academic qualifications.

The academicians tend to be more independent (not tempted by lure of "future business"; a temptation always before the insurance surveyors). But they will aslo balk at prospect of deposing as witness in courts.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 11:25   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

BaCkSeAtDrIVeR, that's incredibly helpful. Thanks. Would a technical report from another authorised service center also hold weight?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 11:28   #4
BHPian

Thank you so much! This is going to be very helpful.
ajeeshonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 23:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR, that's incredibly helpful. Thanks. Would a technical report from another authorised service center also hold weight?

What counts is the individual who prepared the report; not the organisation. the court will call the individual to testify before it; and his qualifications and knowledge will be subjected to scrutiny. So, a mere "another service center" would not hold water.

I do get the drift of the question - often, academically qualified is not same as technically competent; but too bad, courts do not know that.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote