Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th July 2012, 09:08   #256
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Ford Fiesta Classic Spotted. EDIT : Now launched!

Its not just Ford who is going for such cheap marketing. Open any newspaper and you will see many car manufacturers screaming about the Fuel efficiency and trying to outdo each other with those silly comparison ads.

But its sad to know Ford resorting to using inflated mileage as a means to sell the Classic, instead had they used the Classic launch to price the sedan competitively, things would have improved for Ford.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 12:03   #257
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta Classic Spotted. EDIT : Now launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
New features as per IAB are bluetooth, auto locks on drive away and a new alloy wheel design. Its around 70k cheaper I guess now. A source in Ford says production will stop in a couple of months. Could be to clear final stocks.
What is "new" about this alloy wheel design? My brother's Fiesta has got it an year back! Is it not the same that is shown as the alloy in all the Figo advertisements?

Yes. It is quite reasonable to believe that production of the Classic might stop in a few months. They might introduce the new Fiesta premium hatchback in that vacant slot, to compete with Hyundai i20, VW Polo, Honda Jazz, and so on.

Vipin.
Vipin Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2012, 17:16   #258
SMK
BHPian

Oh my my!! I was a huge Ford Fan, this ad just made me think twice before i suggest Ford as a brand now. This gimmick will surely hit Ford's brand value.

If they had to advertise, talk about the driver oriented car, talk about the smooth 1.6 mill which will smoke a lot of the contemprories, talk about driving through the curves at higher speeds, talk about planted feel and handling, talk about the quality of the spares, interiors! Why lie on fuel efficiency!?!? Why Ford Why!!!

I have a 1.6SXI, Love the car for all the points i mentioned above, but hate to see the fuel gauge dying at a rapid pace in city. I get a megre 8kms - 9kms tops in city and 12 to 14 on highways.
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 15:02   #259
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When the standard for print ads & press releases is ARAI - across ALL manufacturers - I'm surprised that Ford chose to quote ACI figures (which are obviously higher). Totally uncool and a firm thumbs down to this marketing gimmick.
Thumbs down from me too. BUT, this trick seems to be working. I didn't know about this development until at least 8 people from my work place came up to my desk and sought information on the Fiesta Classic. It was only after I told them about driving styles and methods to achieve this fuel efficiency were they convinced to not get carried away.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 16:24   #260
BHPian

I used to give this url to my colleagues ask for classic fiesta's fuel efficiency..

http://www.india.ford.com/servlet/Bl...lob&blobkey=id

Also I used to tell them if you want to achieve such kind of fuel efficiency you need to drive at 60km/hr on highway without a/c. Also people in the car should not be more than 2.
johnjojo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 17:45   #261
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Thumbs down from me too. BUT, this trick seems to be working. I didn't know about this development until at least 8 people from my work place came up to my desk and sought information on the Fiesta Classic. It was only after I told them about driving styles and methods to achieve this fuel efficiency were they convinced to not get carried away.
Short-term vs Long-Term Gain.

1. Credibility : The next time Ford brags about fuel-efficiency, no one's going to take it at face value.

2. Over-Promising : Customer reads 21 / 32 kpl (petrol / diesel). When he gets only 10 / 15 kpl in the real world, he's going to whine.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 17:57   #262
BHPian

This isn't the first time Ford claiming something like this. Ever since the mileage marathon was held Ford did advertise the figures and did mention about the source.

Even Maruti claimed 20+ kmpl for WagonR as recorded in some mileage marathon test few years back.

This is nothing but marketing gimmick.

They should rather promote how technically sound their product is for the price.
Turbokick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 19:56   #263
Senior - BHPian

When I bought my WagonR in 2001, Maruti used to send me free copies of a magazine called Getaway or Gateway, in which they mentioned many times that WagonRs were giving 25 to 27 kms per litre. In contrast, my city FE was only 12 to 13, and the max on highways was around 16.5.

But it is wrong for Ford to mislead people by advertising wrong figures on the front page of national papers.

By the way, I wonder why people owning petrol Fiestas are getting single-digit FE figures in city drives. Mine varies from 11 to 12 in Hyd city driving. I am still running on stock MRF tyres.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 09:33   #264
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: Ford Fiesta Classic Spotted. EDIT : Now launched!

Quote:
When the standard for print ads & press releases is ARAI - across ALL manufacturers - I'm surprised that Ford chose to quote ACI figures (which are obviously higher). Totally uncool and a firm thumbs down to this marketing gimmick.
The Chevrolet ads speak about iCAT as testing agency whereas Skoda advertises as someone else. I rarely find any ads where ARAI certified mileage is advertised.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 12:09   #265
BHPian

I would have actually gone for this model if it was present in Mar 2012 rather than CLXI that came to 8.38 OTR Madurai.

Just missing ABS, Beige interior (That Blue plastic looks bad and shows the poor quality).

Would it be possible to activate the Drive-away auto lock in Fiesta? I checked with the SA and he said it cant be in Fiesta, but am sure there should be a way. That's def safe to have.

Car blog picture shows there is that door strips and Chrome ORVM covers with blinkers but someone said its not present?

Ford Classic Indian Titanium Variant Launched- Price & Details That's the same color our car is

Would love to go for those seat covers in pics and spoiler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
Hey hey hey I bought a new fiesta classic in march 2012 and here is my personal experience with the mileage :-

1) highways at speeds of 100+ - 17.5 kmpl.
2) Bumper to bumper traffic in Blr (i cover 14kms in 1.25 hrs) - 12.5 kmpl.
3) Lesser traffic but not freeways - 15-16 kmpl.

I have heard that Fiesta Classic gives 20+, but then I am 100% sure you have to drive on a super free highway and speed of 70-80kmph.
+1

Madurai - Chennai - Madurai with not much of traffic, it gave 18+ KMPL and that's it. May be after 10K on odo, this might increase slightly as I have heard from people getting 20-23 KMPL constantly.

And I too took this car this March only after checking out Manza and Etios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
A source in Ford says production will stop in a couple of months. Could be to clear final stocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post

Yes. It is quite reasonable to believe that production of the Classic might stop in a few months. They might introduce the new Fiesta premium hatchback in that vacant slot, to compete with Hyundai i20, VW Polo, Honda Jazz, and so on.

Vipin.
This soon? I dont think Ford will think of replacing a competitive sedan space with an expensive hatch. They just don't have anything to compete with cheaper sedans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
What is "new" about this alloy wheel design? My brother's Fiesta has got it an year back! Is it not the same that is shown as the alloy in all the Figo advertisements?
ya, that's Figo titanium alloy wheel, nothing new about it. I had in fact planned to put this in my Fiesta when I took delivery of it but then decided against as I did not know how it might look.
ganesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 13:21   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
ya, that's Figo titanium alloy wheel, nothing new about it. I had in fact planned to put this in my Fiesta when I took delivery of it but then decided against as I did not know how it might look.
My brother got the original alloy of the Fiesta exchanged for the Figo alloy. And it looks perfect. But I retained the stock alloy itself, and I am always pleased to see it as well.

Vipin.
Vipin Kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 15:31   #267
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Re: Ford Fiesta Classic Spotted. EDIT : Now launched!

I saw this full 2 page blown up ad about Fiesta diesel giving an average of 32kmpl and Fiesta petrol giving an average of 21kmpl. Had a tough time convincing dad that these were over-inflated figures and not practical ones Plus today's ad mentions the starting price as 6.81L for the diesel.

I would have been more happy had they advertised it as a drivers' car or safety features or some other point instead of some cheap fuel efficiency tactic.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 16:41   #268
BHPian

I am getting lot of calls from my friends in last two days regarding maintenance cost of fiesta after they saw ad in news paper with 32 km/ltr mileage. Seems like the ad really worked for ford.
johnjojo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 17:57   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The Chevrolet ads speak about iCAT as testing agency whereas Skoda advertises as someone else. I rarely find any ads where ARAI certified mileage is advertised.
As far as my understanding goes, all the ads in last two years from any manufacturer (Including Chevrolet) has carried ARAI figures only. The only time i saw a deviation was, Chevrolet's "Beat-Diesel" Launch advertisements where they claimed it to be "India's Most Fuel Efficient Car" with some 24.XX mileage numbers (Tata E-CS was claiming ARAI figures of 25 that time) but even in that Advt it was clearly mentioned that it was ARAI mileage numbers.

ARAI/ICAT/VRDE : They are all ARAI Certification Agencies btw. Read the below page and citation from Hormazad

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ncy-tests.html (Article on how ARAI conducts its fuel-efficiency tests)

Ford Seems to be the only manufacturer who has deviated from the practice of using ARAI numbers. Not sure if it is some kind of violation of ARAI norms. Lets see if ARAI takes some action against Ford for this false claim

Last edited by anu21v : 20th July 2012 at 18:04.
anu21v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 18:33   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
I saw today morning TOI-Delhi advert and must say its a pathetic effort from Ford india to try to mislead consumers by quoting misleading figures of 32.38** and ** says Autocar results.

At the same time there are no official ARAI figures mentioned in the advertisement.

Isn't it an brazen attempt to flout of the official ARAI regulation on Mileage? I would be seriously happy if someone like Maruti and Tata take them to court for their misadventure which will give less lessons to other manufacturers as well.
Quote:
In fact this (32.38 kmpl) is not even ACI tested figure! They (ACI and Ford) have achieved this figure in an attempt to extract maximum mileage, which is far from FE in real life conditions.
Here are the quoted figures from ACI:
City driving conditions: 14.1 kmpl
Highway Conditions: 18.3 kmpl
ARAI figure: 20 kmpl

This 32.38 has been achieved with the sole intention to extract maximum FE by driving without AC (not even blower!), not exceeding 60 kmpl, not using the brake much etc etc, and they will be totally misleading the buyers by saying it is a ACI quoted figure.

Last edited by Guna : 20th July 2012 at 18:36.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote