Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th October 2012, 21:12   #286
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta Classic Spotted. EDIT : Now launched!

Has anyone brought this car recently? Do we have any ownership thread on the classic alone? I am also wondering, will this car have a good resale value considering ford is still looked upon as a costly car to maintain IMHO.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2012, 21:47   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass
Has anyone brought this car recently? Do we have any ownership thread on the classic alone? I am also wondering, will this car have a good resale value considering ford is still looked upon as a costly car to maintain IMHO.
This
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-1-4-tdci.html (Tata Manza 1.3 Qjt OR Ford Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCi)
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 20:51   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Bought the Ford Fiesta in its classic avatar for my father. Its nothing but a Figo in Fiesta's(old) clothes minus some goodies like ABS+EBD, Airbags, bluetooth connectivity, auto drive lock feature and some.

Figo Titanium (Top end) was around 6.9 Lacs IIRC and this CLXI Classic was 8.36 Lacs on-road Madurai, TN. SXI was in the New Fiesta range don't know which gentleman decided pricing.

We needed a car with boot for sure and so went with this. While there is nothing much to complain about the car, sometimes feel that its not a VFM option especially compared to the Manza.

Comparison: if this helps anyone in future.
TATA Manza
+ The best available with all the bells and whistles
+ Space and seating - way better than what competition has to offer.
- But TATA has still not improved on Before/After sales. Go to their showroom, nobody bothers to ask what you are there for.
Sales guys(there were 3) who brought the car kept saying that Fiat has stopped supplying engines to Maruti and so Dzire's sales will dip and that's exactly when Fiat started supplying more engines to Maruti. (This In spite of me explaining them the actual case)
- Lack of consistency in QC.
- Bouncy ride. Highway car with a non-highway friendly suspension setup.

Maruti Dzire
+ Superb engine
+ NVH was not that bad
+ Fuel consumption pretty decent
- Waiting period - I hate that. We are not in ambassador era... but i should mention that most people get their cars by a month or even less than that and Maruti seems to hype it just to create a scene of demand.
- Not a proper sedan internal/external

Toyota Etios
+ All rounder
- Looks - might grow on you but it still looks like a redesigned logan
- NVH - bad
- Interior - horrible. I still cant digest the jute sought of seat clothe and the cartoon'ish speedo dials
- Sales Rep's attitude - We are Toyota, hmmm...

Nissan Sunny (Bit out of this segment)
- Ugly looking - Designer has to be punished I say.
+ Other than the above, rest all are excellent.
+ Interior quality - should be like that!
+ Engine was good, Better fuel consumption as we have heard in logan's case.
+ Space is very generous
- Waiting period was about a month that time and that's the only reason why I could not go for it.

Ford Fiesta Classic (~11,000 KM's covered - Mostly covered by my father)
+ A proper sedan by outside proportions - I don't think any other car has this in its segment. Some might feel it plain.
+ Solid build quality (or at least the feel compared to Etios, Maruti)
+ Panel gaps outside are pretty decent
+ Hydraulic steering - Might be heavy for some but I like it
+ Highway stability - Cornering ability is good unlike the Manza
+ Brakes are decent (CLXI does not have a ABS/EBD combo)
+ Decent audio player
+ Interiors are neat by design compared to Etios and some

- Can't drive it like a petrol, turbo lag exists though decent when compared to DDIS.
- Short gearing - frequent gear shifts (Hill stations - not that suitable i guess)
- Though its a Figo in classic form, the spare parts cost seems to stand high which is nothing less than looting by Ford, hoping for the recent case on OTC spares selling helps to price it right in first place.
- Insulation - Not that great. Diesel engine is noisy. Better window glass compared to the thinner ones in Etios and Dzire though.
- Heard (not very sure) Figo/Classic engine bed is not hydraulic as it used to be in older Fiesta which is the reason for more vibrations inside the cabin (By sedan standards only - Don't compare this with Bolero)
- Rear seat legroom is not that great neither the seat is angled for highway comfort
- Front seat is not that supportive on long drives.
- No dead pedal
- Interiors from Figo - Complete downgrade from the Fiesta's and the panel gaps are something that makes you hate it especially the glove box area.
- Head light throw (like other OEM's) is not great
- Looses breathe after 130 KMPH
- NVH is pathetic at the above said speed almost like a truck - Please someone help on some good insulation techniques.

Queries:
- Head unit of Figo and Fiesta classic (not the classic) does look same but no bluetooth in it. Can add on help to achieve this?
- Any insulation materials interior?
- Why cant Ford name their new cars something else instead of renaming the old ones ? Imagine how will it be if this renaming happens to humans Older ones renamed to give their names to newer ones.

Finishing touch () : I love this car - Looks Elegant and Drives smart!

The current Titanium model if it was available at that time (March 2012), I would have certainly bought that instead of CLXI.

And don't think no body buys this, its still bought by many matured buyers at least in tire 2 cities.
ganesc is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 00:23   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganesc View Post
Ford Fiesta Classic (~11,000 KM's covered - Mostly covered by my father)
11k kms sure call for a new ownership thread Show off the elegance. By the way, what color? A new thread could help you with better visibility on the queries too.

And the most important question. Does it stand up to the tall claim of 32 kmpl? We are all ears. My dad has ever been asking this since their ads.

Congrats!
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2012, 00:32   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
11k kms sure call for a new ownership thread Show off the elegance. By the way, what color? A new thread could help you with better visibility on the queries too.

And the most important question. Does it stand up to the tall claim of 32 kmpl? We are all ears. My dad has ever been asking this since their ads.

Congrats!
Thanks. New thread - will do. Color is Paparika Red. Will have to dig my HDD for photos. Will post. Nothing modified as I said its driven by my father mostly.

32 KMPL - As you might have known, its by Autocar for a cross country run or something. They achieved this figure by maintaining a steady 60 KMPH without AC i guess.

A highway run from Madurai - Chennai - Madurai @ 120 KMPH - 18/19 KMPL when the car was at 3/4K km's run.

After 10,000 KMs it would have increased a bit. Have heard people getting 23 KMPL without much of a fuss and that could be the max i guess.
ganesc is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 12:18   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Bought the Ford Fiesta in its classic avatar for my father.
Thanks for the wonderful comparison.

Quote:
- NVH is pathetic at the above said speed almost like a truck - Please someone help on some good insulation techniques.

Queries:
- Head unit of Figo and Fiesta classic (not the classic) does look same but no bluetooth in it. Can add on help to achieve this?
- Any insulation materials interior?
I am also interested in answers to the above. My car is one of the last original Fiesta SXis. Its been almost two years now, but have drive just about 20k. I am planning to giving the car a mid life make over.

Going a little

1. I want to get bluetooth and usb enabled HU from the new Classic SXi. I am assuming this would be a straight fit, as the two cars are pretty much the identical. Enquired at the Ford Service, they were not sure whether there would be need for a separate power cable to be run for this. Any ideas any one?
2. If possible get the steering cloumn mounted audio controls of the new Figo.
3. Replace the OEM speakers with decent ones. Not looking for an elaborate setup, just better speakers (components in the front and ovals at the back), to be placed at their original places. Hoping to get a decent performance from this.
4. Get some damping done so that the outside noise stays outside.
5. Find and add a possible replacement for the sunfilm that was peeled off.
6. Better headlights, I know there are umpteen options, the current plan is to get 90/100 bulbs for high beam via relay and ceramic holders.

Have any one done any of these changes, other than the headlamp replacement? Any advise in this regard would be great.

PS: I have never managed to get more than 15-16 kmpl with regular drives. Best I have ever got is 18/19 kmpl. But I am not complaining, I am quite happy with it.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 14th November 2012 at 12:19. Reason: added fuel consumption figures
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 14:27   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham

Thanks for the wonderful comparison.

I am also interested in answers to the above. My car is one of the last original Fiesta SXis.
Good.

I always thought SXI even the current one had better insulation. Looks like i was wrong. So, just wondering howcome not many complain about the NVH.

Quote:
1. I want to get bluetooth and usb enabled HU from the new Classic SXi. I am assuming this would be a straight fit, as the two cars are pretty much the identical. Enquired at the Ford Service, they were not sure whether there would be need for a separate power cable to be run for this. Any ideas any one?
Why go for another OEM ?
I think there wont be any change in power supply. And i think yours is about to be out of warranty unless you have taken an extended warranty. So why dont you go for some other branded headunit? I am sure you can get some decent 2 din head with touch interface even (as ford's unit will not be cheaper - Please share pricing if you have already enquired). You can use it for bluetooth/gps/reverse cam and so on if i am not wrong.

Quote:
2. If possible get the steering column mounted audio controls of the new Figo.
Not sure if possible. if possible and aware of the cost, please share. Is it really useful?

Quote:
3. Replace the OEM speakers with decent ones. Not looking for an elaborate setup, just better speakers (components in the front and ovals at the back), to be placed at their original places. Hoping to get a decent performance from this.
To me, its already a decent player with decent speakers but i too have felt changing speakers can bring in some more crispness and bass. Keep us posted on this. Have heard/read ford speaker sizes are not easily found but shouldn't be impossible.

Quote:
4. Get some damping done so that the outside noise stays outside.
Yes. There are some threads on this i think, we might have to search further within this forum.

Quote:
6. Better headlights, I know there are umpteen options, the current plan is to get 90/100 bulbs for high beam via relay and ceramic holders.
Quote for bulb+relay varies a lot from shop to shop :( and dont know of its genuineness too. They say osram does come with a relay and wiring kit that's wired directly from battery instead of touching the existing line - to avoid warranty issues. However i am still not convinced to go for any extra electrical/mechanical additions and so the car is still bone stock.
ganesc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 16:48   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Good.

I always thought SXI even the current one had better insulation. Looks like i was wrong. So, just wondering howcome not many complain about the NVH.
I have not compared with other non SXi Fiestas, so cannot comment. However, comparing with other diesel cars, I feel there is room for improvement with respect to NVH.

Quote:
Why go for another OEM ?
I think there wont be any change in power supply. And i think yours is about to be out of warranty unless you have taken an extended warranty. So why dont you go for some other branded headunit? I am sure you can get some decent 2 din head with touch interface even (as ford's unit will not be cheaper - Please share pricing if you have already enquired). You can use it for bluetooth/gps/reverse cam and so on if i am not wrong.
I know of this option, but do not want to tamper the two year extended warranty. I have no idea on the price of the Ford unit, will enquire in the coming days. Will check again with the Ford service on the conditions of warranty, if all is well, I may get a decent all in one 2 din. I can then connect reverse camera, gps etc. like you mentioned.

Quote:
Not sure if possible. if possible and aware of the cost, please share. Is it really useful?
I too do not feel too much use to it as well, however, thought of exploring the possibility since I am at it anyway. Will enquire and keep you posted. Also if another brand HU is added, then I can always add the conventional steering mounted remote option.

Quote:
To me, its already a decent player with decent speakers but i too have felt changing speakers can bring in some more crispness and bass. Keep us posted on this. Have heard/read ford speaker sizes are not easily found but shouldn't be impossible.
I do agree that it is a decent player. However, this is only true when playing from a CD. The Aux-In does not do justice and the volume levels are too low. All I want is the USB input, where I hope the clarity would be as good as CD.

Quote:
Yes. There are some threads on this i think, we might have to search further within this forum.
I have seen some threads, will explore more on this in the forum.

Quote:
Quote for bulb+relay varies a lot from shop to shop :( and dont know of its genuineness too. They say osram does come with a relay and wiring kit that's wired directly from battery instead of touching the existing line - to avoid warranty issues. However i am still not convinced to go for any extra electrical/mechanical additions and so the car is still bone stock.
I think roots also makes good wiring kit + relay. I was worried about the smoking of the headlamps with the increased heat of the 100/90s. I am also exploring the possibility of having an aux lamp fitted.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 23:27   #294
Senior - BHPian

A recent trip through traffic free highway with sedate driving and little AC usage resulted in DTE showing 845.

So i guess the 20+ mileage that people report are to be discarded. I say this because with the same type of driving i have extracted 21.xx from the Fiat Uno D, 22.xx from the 1.8D ikon.

Just MHO.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 08:40   #295
Senior - BHPian

I have done with the 3rd / 20k service. Costs Rs.4.7k.

Just the oil, oil/air filters, wheel alignment, brake cleaning, etc. Wheel alignment is a rip off at ford(total charges for this alone is Rs. 1080(350 alignment, 350 balancing, then the extras for weights).

The AC cowl filter was not billed, so it is not changed i guess. It is mentioned in the manual though.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 13:44   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I have done with the 3rd / 20k service. Costs Rs.4.7k.

Just the oil, oil/air filters, wheel alignment, brake cleaning, etc. Wheel alignment is a rip off at ford(total charges for this alone is Rs. 1080(350 alignment, 350 balancing, then the extras for weights).

The AC cowl filter was not billed, so it is not changed i guess. It is mentioned in the manual though.
Seems bloody reasonable, that too for a diesel. Ford has corrected their service costs very well I guess, but the perception of a majority is still different. They better come up with an advertisement of their service costs, will help them bag a lot more orders for Ecosport.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 00:24   #297
BHPian

A/c Pollen filter replacement is prescribed every 10K kms in the manual, but Ford SAs will say it is not required. After pushing a lot, I got it replaced finally at 25K on odo. I remember reading in the forum sometime back that this is usually not done or preferred to be done as the part resides in the engine bay, somewhere down the windshield and it is a bit tricky to remove. Moreover, on a bad day it may crack the windscreen if the removal is not done as desired.
vinu99@gmail.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 10:50   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Seems bloody reasonable, that too for a diesel. Ford has corrected their service costs very well I guess, but the perception of a majority is still different. They better come up with an advertisement of their service costs, will help them bag a lot more orders for Ecosport.
Seriously? I thought it was more for the work quoted and especially for Wheel alignment and balancing. Just left my Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCI for 3rd service at 15,000 Kms (1 year and so) and the estimate is 4.5k with exactly the same work stated by ramzsys.

I feel somehow Ford is still cheating in terms of spare parts price because at least for Fiesta Classic and Figo, most parts are same but still they charge more for Fiesta while less for Figo as they marketed this as a mass market car.

These guys seriously get a lot in maintenance irrespective of sales :(

O.T: Eagerly awaiting Competition Commission of India (CCI) to do something about it and I think the inquiry has been on going for about 6 months now.

Recent developments:

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/cc...uyers/1090252/

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...tice-carmakers
ganesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 11:39   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seriously? I thought it was more for the work quoted and especially for Wheel alignment and balancing. Just left my Fiesta Classic 1.4 TDCI for 3rd service at 15,000 Kms (1 year and so) and the estimate is 4.5k with exactly the same work stated by ramzsys....
I pay 6500/- for my Swift D 20K service intervals WITHOUT wheel alignment. And yes, wheel alignment at 1000/- is definitely a rip off, but most A$$ charge heavy. The best option is to find out an experienced after market guy for wheel alignment. I usually get it done outside for 200/-!
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 11:59   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I pay 6500/- for my Swift D 20K service intervals WITHOUT wheel alignment. And yes, wheel alignment at 1000/- is definitely a rip off, but most A$$ charge heavy. The best option is to find out an experienced after market guy for wheel alignment. I usually get it done outside for 200/-!
Oh my my.. 6.5k? then I am happy

Wheel Alignment - Don't have an option of going out as anyways they will have to do it to record it and use it in case of warranty claims. And I have extended warranty for 3rd year too.

Guess what? I was told there is a camp going on with Ford (Akshaya Ford, Madurai, TN) from 20 - 22nd March 2013 for Figo 3rd year celebration and they include the below:
  • Free Wheel Alignment, Wheel balancing - chargeable
  • 15% on labor
  • Wiper wash pouch
  • Free Brake oil top up of 100 ml!
  • Aircon gas fill up of the least quantity they can
  • 15% on Brake parts
  • Free first aid kit replacement
They included Engine waxing without my knowledge and I asked them to remove it now. They did the same trick last time when my father went. These guys.

Last edited by ganesc : 20th March 2013 at 12:27. Reason: added a verified matter
ganesc is offline   Reply With Quote