Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th January 2006, 10:44   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Question Lockout at Toyota car plant!

Toyota Kirloskar Motors has declared a lockout at its factory in Bidadi, on the outskirts of Bangalore. The lockout was announced on Sunday afternoon after negotiations between the management and workers broke down.....

http://in.rediff.com/money/2006/jan/09toy.htm

Now its Toyotas turn after Honda :(
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 11:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Oh dear. Just when they had started to keep up with demand for the Innova.......
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 12:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

This is a regular problem with the militant unions and their unjust ways. I have seen this during my association with one of the biggest constructions and engineering giants of this country. They literally tremble in the name of the unions. The labour forces are so unruly and yet no action can be contemplated so easily against them.

I remember a few years back the Bajaj Aurangabad plant (Waluj, I think) was shut down for a prolonged period because of which Bajaj lost a considerable traction in the bike market. All the hullabaloo was about a miscalculation which resulted in the manufacture of one more bike than was scheduled as per the agreement with the unions! Just imagine...

And then to think that these unions want to get into the areas where they do not have presence (IT, BPO)...
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 12:16   #4
Team-BHP Support

heard about this last evening, so what is this lockout going to translate into?

manson.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 12:56   #5
BHPian

what does this equate to?? another negotiation with the management and the staff is it, and what if that also fails
CaliforniaKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 13:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Read it in today's ET.

I remember unions were one reason for the Fiat's troubles with Palio. They had some lockout in the initial days of Palio launch.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 19:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

@islero: the shortfall in supply was only for the "v" spec variants; not for the bottom variants; besides, toyota has been struggling with the sales of the innova from the past few months. they have only been managing to sell about 3000 units on an average, their target being 4000+. toyota was also planning a spate of new launches, expansion in production capacity, etc. but now with the strike, lockout and all, who knows....

this must be the handiwork of some selfish union leaders, as they speak for the labourers as a whole. many have to suffer due to the shenanigans of a few...
veyron1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 11:03   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, Labor problems really suck. I have seen some small scale industry negotiations and the only message I heard was "Less Work, More Pay"! I am sure that there are different situations where the labor parties would actually be justified in their demands. But its important for the negotiators to look at the broader picture.

American manufacturers have a huge problem with the UAW. I guess Honda America is the only manufacturer in the USA to NOT have a union in their manfacturing facility.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 11:40   #9
Team-BHP Support

There is more bad news on the Toyota front. Yesterday there was supposed to have been a meeting of sorts between the management and the Unions, mediated by the labor ministry. However management did not turn up sighting unrest and non-conducive scenario which they say could cause more harm to the talks and the facilities in general if the factory is opened immediately.
Old 10th January 2006, 11:42   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I guess Honda America is the only manufacturer in the USA to NOT have a union in their manfacturing facility.

GTO
How does that work? I mean is it the choice of the management to have (or not to have) the unions? I believe if that is made possible then at least here in India (and I suspect everywhere else) organizations would rather give them a go by.
Old 10th January 2006, 13:30   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight
what does this equate to?? another negotiation with the management and the staff is it, and what if that also fails
I guess if this is the case, IMHO Toyota's new manufacturing unit ( I think they are planning to open a new one ) will most pbly come up in tamil nadu. Our beloved CM JJ is very competent in handling union problems as they found out with the state transportation strike

TN's USP for attracting investors now is strikes are now unlawful. Not sure about the exact details but I guess it gives more choices to the employers to end a strike / lockout. Particularly by using force.

One thing I hate to say is that recently the trade / labour unions have become a royal pain in @#$@#$@ Especially in my place where there are problems every diwali regarding the bonus. There is so much of foul play in the unions and the claims they make. Sometimes it makes me so frustrated that I think of kicking the hell out of the union leaders
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2006, 22:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
There is more bad news on the Toyota front. Yesterday there was supposed to have been a meeting of sorts between the management and the Unions, mediated by the labor ministry. However management did not turn up sighting unrest and non-conducive scenario which they say could cause more harm to the talks and the facilities in general if the factory is opened immediately.
I would congradulate Toyota Motors in taking such a Bold step. Obviously the water has run over the heads on more than one occassion that they had to take this drastic step. In todays times when the competition is so stiff, to stop production is inviting doom. But its the Japanese principle that would ultimately hold them in good stead. It would send the right signals to the labour that they need to realise their duty first rather than succumb to the arm twisting tactics of a handful, selfish and unloyal Union leaders, who are looking for personal glory and at their already bulging pockets.

Way to go TKM, Bangalore & may God be with you.

Soccer.
soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2006, 14:53   #13
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I guess Honda America is the only manufacturer in the USA to NOT have a union in their manfacturing facility.

GTO
GTO, from what I have heard, Hyundai (alabama plant) and Toyota also do not have any unions although UAW keep trying.

As for Toyota lockout situation, these workers need to be lured in a dead end street and then given the same treatment that HMSI workers got.
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2006, 16:41   #14
BHPian

quiet a times , i think they should never allow the UNION so much power, they should be kept with a lil control. why should the owners listen to the demands of their workers??? if a worker is not happy, he is most welcome to leave the co. and go work else where! its upto the owner to DECIDE what he wants to pay and howmuch he wants to make them work... and for the Workers to decide wether they are willing to work at that pay and do that much work... they are not forced in this job..are they! ?

Why its always the poorer that is supported.... and not the rich onez... even rich ones are humans with all rights, and doesnt mean that the Rich is always wrong and poor is always right! bullsh*t! if a Rich can have his way, why are ppl so jealous of it, he has earned his money, he will live/work the way he wants! u can rebel only when u are being FORCED to do something by him... if not, get lost worker! there r many still unemployed who are willing to take up the jobs...

the Employer is their "employer" not their Money machine, where they can keep demanding money from him just coz they dont have it with them.!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2006, 08:45   #15
BHPian

Anyone here knows about the internal affairs of Ashok Leyland? The union there is so string that the whole company is in their grip. Any small issue and they go on strike.

My friend was working there for a year. From what I hear, if the workers were a bit more cooperative, crores of rupees could be saved. The workers are so indifferent and ahrdly ever care about what happens to the machines they work on.

Most of them run their own businesses. The most common ones being real estate and travel agencies. They use their mobile phones to run the business while they are in teh plant. And reportedly, most of the old experienced workers have a few bunglows that are rented out!

My friend was in the maintenance department. Since he was an engineer and was being paid much more than the supervisors there, they made sure he never got what he wanted. Some even go to the extent of hiding his tools and stuff...

Is there no way of keeping the labour unions like these at bay? Is there any legal provisions for this?
Harrie is offline   Reply With Quote