Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th August 2011, 14:03   #256
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: New VW Jetta

Overall I think VW strategically wants to place VW offerings above Skoda.
They want VW branding to more exclusive than Skoda.

Same has been done for Polo/Fabia. Same I think will be repeated for Skoda 1.6LD Sedan and Vento.
So is the case with Laura and Jetta.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:07   #257
BHPian

On the positive side the Jetta MT comes with 140 PS and 320 NM state of tune, whereas the Laura MT comes with 110 PS and 250 NM map.

However if one goes for an DSG AT (which I suspect should be the popular choice), then in Jetta one is forced to buy the top end Highline model only . What a shame. The Laura Ambiente AT is clearly the winner with an equal 140 PS, 320 NM engine but atleast 3 lacs cheaper.

Last edited by rohitm : 17th August 2011 at 14:09.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:15   #258
BHPian

Such a hash-up, cut-paste job too.

Cannot tell going by the specs on the site why the Highline MT, for example has DSG paddles when it doesnt even have a DSG!?

Some pics show the climatic AC, others the Climatronic, but no mention of Climatronic anywhere.

Downtown VW says Trendline is around 14.2 ex-showroom, BLR, translating to around 17.5 on road. The Comfortline is around 15.2 ex-showroom, BLR, translating to around 18.5 on road.

No prices available yet for the Highlines in either trim. Expect that to touch 20-21 at least.

(And the guy in charge of the Jetta sales desk is dismissive of Yetis (priced 21.25 on-road here, and in contention with this as my next drive) as an "updated Wagon-R"!)

Why do we trust these people with our money??
crackingride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2011, 14:19   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

This is better than I expected. They really did not price it way higher than the outgoing model. I expected leather seats in the highline (instead of leatherette), and also the wood finish looks a bit old-fashioned. And I am not sure of how the 139mm GC will deal with our speed-breakers.

The sales guys in my town was quite spot on. He did mention that the price range is 14-18 lakhs, and only the diesel will be launched.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:29   #260
Senior - BHPian

The website mentions 12 way electrically adjustable seats but no mention about Sunroof. The site itself seems like a hurriedly done up job! And no real leather even on the highline?
Old 17th August 2011, 14:31   #261
BHPian

Well well.....should i say disappointing or heart breaking...... 15.75 in cochin for trendline is way over the shoulder for me. Expected it to be somewhere around 15 - 15.2. Overpriced at least by 50 grands. Should i go for it or not...is the next question. Will have to wait till the weekend team bhp review to answer that one.

But i think i will have to wave my dream good bye for now.........eh....volks...you didn't listen to any of us customers.......
Old 17th August 2011, 14:38   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The website mentions 12 way electrically adjustable seats but no mention about Sunroof. The site itself seems like a hurriedly done up job! And no real leather even on the highline?
Also missing seem to be auto-dimming exterior mirrors, the choice of black leather (ette!), the interior protection and alarm system, dual zone climate control, the fifth alloy spare, cooled storage under the front armrest, Aux in under this armrest, ...

Not sure if Light and Sight package includes coming and leaving home lights, puddle lights as before...

And, as usual, the usual take it or leave it when it comes to specifying things as options.

On the plus side, there is a DSG option, finally, and the engine has been updated! Also, a media interface for an ipod or some such, which probably means direct control and charging via the steering and HU. Net-net, I think this is a more value-oriented package than before.

The actual touch-feel might be a step down; but that will have to wait till one sees one in the metal. On that front, nothing on what colours this might come in!

Last edited by crackingride : 17th August 2011 at 14:46.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:41   #263
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down Re: New VW Jetta

Not sure anyone noticed but one downside it comes with torsion beam suspension compared to the independent 4 link suspension of the previous model. Another downside. Will have to see how it affects the ride and handling.
Compared to this laura comes with independent suspension at the rear.

I was holding my purchase of buying Yeti. But comparing the features I suppose Yeti looks to be a better buy. Will wait for the test drive.

Last edited by Invinsible : 17th August 2011 at 14:45.
Old 17th August 2011, 14:44   #264
BHPian

Mod Note : The new Jetta's review has been released at this link (Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review). Please continue the discussion over on the review thread.

Last edited by GTO : 5th September 2011 at 12:52. Reason: Adding link to review
Closed Thread