Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th March 2011, 20:09   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New VW Jetta

Quote:
The Laura base TDI costs 13.xx lacs ex showroom. So, at max the Jetta should start at 14L ex showroom for the TDI version
Sorry for the confusion. I just quoted the on-road price of Jetta. Ex showroom will start at 14L for the baseline and 15L for the Comfortline and may be 16L for the highline if we get any
Old 7th March 2011, 20:14   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
An overgrown Vento for 18 odd lacs? Will have to wait and watch the official launch in India though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
To me the car has gone more 'Vento-ish'
Well, its the case of glass half-full or half-empty. You can either say that the new Jetta looks like a grown-up Vento, or a baby Passat .
This is indeed the new design language of VW cars. All the models, be it the Phaeton, Passat, Toureg, Jetta, Golf, Vento or Polo - all have the same front end treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
VW would ideally like to position their cars a notch above the others ,especially Skoda though they are in direct competition.
The Laura is anyways a luxurious vehicle and if they plan to station it a notch above the Laura, the pricing will surely be on the higher side.
In event of this we could well see the top of the line Jetta (140bhp crdi DSG Highline) dangerously close to the entry level Superb,Accord pricing wise.
Completely agree. I also feel that the top end Jetta will get extremely close to the entry point of the Superb. And looking at the way they are re-positioning Skoda, there could be a difference of one lakh in each trim level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Unfortunately i think that will be the case. If we are getting the Euro spec Jetta then it is supposed to be a more luxurious and loaded version than the parallel US version. For it to be made more accessible , the US version would have made more sense.
I personally feel that VW has done well in deciding to bring the Euro-spec Jetta to India. For starters, the current Jetta is known for its luxuriously appointed interiors, and they would like to keep the premium feel of Jetta in the upcoming model as well. Bring US-spec model will be a step backward.

Vento is an excellent car for the price, but it is nowhere near the current Jetta's premium feel.

And bringing pricing Jetta closer to the Vento could create a negative impact for both models - something like Swift Dzire and SX4.

By the way, I am more interested to see how the new Passat pricing will be. Anything above Superb will get into the BMW category. Interesting months ahead!
Old 7th March 2011, 20:27   #33
BHPian

The big question is what suspension will come to India? Will it be the independent one for Europe or the torsion beam from the US market. There is a trend to keep it simple under the skin and gives lots of space inside
Old 7th March 2011, 22:25   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh911 View Post
The big question is what suspension will come to India? Will it be the independent one for Europe or the torsion beam from the US market. There is a trend to keep it simple under the skin and gives lots of space inside
I guess that would actually depend on whether the US spec or Euro spec car comes to India. A bigger question is will they offer the FE engines like 1.6L turbo diesel 4 cyl, which could probably give more than 20 kmpl. If VW brings this engine, they would be the instant favorites and would also be able to position their cars better with respect to competition.
Old 8th March 2011, 07:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he big question is what suspension will come to India? Will it be the independent one for Europe or the torsion beam from the US market
They will stick with Independent suspension. Their ground clearance is a big deterrent for some potential buyers. The current suspension set up is somewhat a saving grace for the fantastic ride quality. I believe they will stick with european suspension set up.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:58   #36
BHPian

Quote:
A bigger question is will they offer the FE engines like 1.6L turbo diesel 4 cyl, which could probably give more than 20 kmpl. If VW brings this engine, they would be the instant favorites and would also be able to position their cars better with respect to competition.
Pick of all the questions listed above. Well, in Europe the Jetta is sold with both 1.6 TDI as well as 2.0 TDI. I really want them to offer the 1.6 TDI in the base offering. This will help VW price the Jetta sufficiently down. The engine is powerful enough anyway.

Imagine a 12-13 Lac starting price for 1.6TDI.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
The engine is powerful enough anyway.
Disagree with that Abhi. The current Jetta is at best a sedate car and can cruise comfortably at high speeds IF you have the patience to sit all day and wait for it to attain those high speeds. Point is, you don't want to spend that kind of money and buy a car that has unenthusiastic acceleration and a detuned/under powered engine. The ANHC/Verna CRDI/Altis/Civic all have better 0-100 times than the current Jetta.

IMHO Jetta badly needs a stronger (and younger) heart to increase the heartbeats of enthusiasts. For the non-enthusiasts, well perhaps even a 1.3 MJet with variable geometry turbo will do (not that VW needs to borrow engines from Fiat)!
Old 8th March 2011, 17:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

@SKjLives

I just hope you are talking about the Petrol engines. The TDI can take you by surprise if you have not experienced it. One of the most powerful engines i have driven in my life.
Old 8th March 2011, 17:50   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pick of all the questions listed above. Well, in Europe the Jetta is sold with both 1.6 TDI as well as 2.0 TDI. I really want them to offer the 1.6 TDI in the base offering. This will help VW price the Jetta sufficiently down. The engine is powerful enough anyway.
Imagine a 12-13 Lac starting price for 1.6TDI.
Indeed. But I guess the wish is too much to ask for

I looked at the UK pricing. And the price difference (starting price) between 1.6 TDI (105ps) and 2.0 TDI (140ps) is not much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@SKjLives

I just hope you are talking about the Petrol engines. The TDI can take you by surprise if you have not experienced it. One of the most powerful engines i have driven in my life.
Agree with you VW2010. Eventhough the 2.0 TDI is just 110ps, the power delivery is pretty awesome. And I am expecting the new Jetta to be even better with the 140ps motor (similar to Laura DSG)
Old 8th March 2011, 18:49   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Disagree with that Abhi. The current Jetta is at best a sedate car and can cruise comfortably at high speeds IF you have the patience to sit all day and wait for it to attain those high speeds. Point is, you don't want to spend that kind of money and buy a car that has unenthusiastic acceleration and a detuned/under powered engine. The ANHC/Verna CRDI/Altis/Civic all have better 0-100 times than the current Jetta.

IMHO Jetta badly needs a stronger (and younger) heart to increase the heartbeats of enthusiasts. For the non-enthusiasts, well perhaps even a 1.3 MJet with variable geometry turbo will do (not that VW needs to borrow engines from Fiat)!
Really Have you driven Vento TDI by and chance?

I mean I agree that it will not be a scorcher. But it will have more than sufficient grunt to take it to say 12.xx secs to 0-100. Vento does it in 11.5 ish. However, will modern day diesels, it 'feels' fast enough. Has we been talking about the existing 1.6L petrol (same as on the Vento), I would have reserved my comments. If it is considerably cheaper, I'll buy it

We have accepted the Corolla 1.4 D-4D which is a modern day bullock cart simply because it is a Toyota. Indian market is highly prejudiced. If VW can launch a competitive model at a good price (which I am sure they will not), watch it go off the shelf.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th March 2011 at 18:55.
Old 9th March 2011, 00:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Really Have you driven Vento TDI by and chance?
I mean I agree that it will not be a scorcher. But it will have more than sufficient grunt to take it to say 12.xx secs to 0-100. Vento does it in 11.5 ish. However, will modern day diesels, it 'feels' fast enough. Has we been talking about the existing 1.6L petrol (same as on the Vento), I would have reserved my comments. If it is considerably cheaper, I'll buy it

We have accepted the Corolla 1.4 D-4D which is a modern day bullock cart simply because it is a Toyota. Indian market is highly prejudiced. If VW can launch a competitive model at a good price (which I am sure they will not), watch it go off the shelf.
The point I made was - Current VW Jetta has a less than enthusiastic engine for a mid-size car. One can discuss all they want about "grunt", engine smoothness, creamy torque of a modern diesel etc. One small fact - There are more than a dozen cars (both petrol and diesel) available in India which are cheaper, some of them substantially so, than the Jetta (both petrol and diesel) and they are faster than the Jetta (acceleration to 100 kmph from standstill). The list is as follows:

Optra Magnum (Diesel)
Cruze LT (Diesel)
Linea T-Jet (Petrol)
Fiesta 1.6 (Petrol)
AN Honda City (Petrol)
Civic (Petrol)
Verna (Diesel)
SX4 (Petrol)
Cedia (Petrol)
Laura (Petrol) [OK, unfair - This has the best engine this side of 20 lakhs!]
Altis (Petrol)
Etios (Petrol) [Yes, it's true!]
VW Polo 1.6 (Petrol) [Ouch!]
Vento (Diesel) [Like you said, awesome engine, haven't tasted yet though]

Cars like Altis Diesel do not even deserve a mention when we are discussing performance in cars - Such cars cater to a very different, albeit large, section of car buyers who look at all parameters other than "quickness", and power to them (pun intended). And watch such cars go off the shelf we do all the time - Which is the largest selling car in the country again? That's not the point. We were discussing performance here, right?

I have driven the same Jetta engine in a Laura and I was like, hmm, very smooth delivery of power, and quite relaxed (read lazy) too! Reminds me of a story my bro-in-law told me recently. So here he was on some super sexy stretch of road in upcountry MP cruising in his Laura (Diesel, the same motor as Jetta), when a brand new Linea ticked him off in the way he overtook bro's car. So bro decided to catch him just to have a polite word, you know. And he couldn't. Not for the next 20 km, after which the Linea happily disappeared. He was quite perplexed while narrating this to me, till I told him that Linea has now a new avatar, called T-Jet which can embarrass many a mid-sizers, Laura/Jetta included.

All said, The new Jetta is almost certain to get the yummy 1.8 TSI and I can see myself queuing outside VW's like a kid outside a candy store! Diesels? Nah, not for me.
Old 9th March 2011, 00:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

If one was to remove the group badge VW, and put in the Audi one, it can pass off as a new A4. The very first pic on this post has the best alloys that can probably go with this car. Even the last pic in post 12 has excellent alloys. If VW was to sell the car with these alloys as options, quite a few would be tempted to take this and can serve as a good alternative to the Skoda boys
Old 9th March 2011, 13:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
If one was to remove the group badge VW, and put in the Audi one, it can pass off as a new A4. The very first pic on this post has the best alloys that can probably go with this car. Even the last pic in post 12 has excellent alloys. If VW was to sell the car with these alloys as options, quite a few would be tempted to take this and can serve as a good alternative to the Skoda bo
Thats a premium feeling in itself , sin 't it? I prefer the new designs to the older boring a lifeless ones. The new designs are classy and understated, but not hopelessly anonymous.

However, the million dollar question remains, what price do you pay for it?
Old 9th March 2011, 13:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

I am just wondering if VW calls this Jetta a performance car or more of an entry level luxury car. May be just below luxury.

Quote:
when a brand new Linea ticked him off in the way he overtook bro's car. So bro decided to catch him just to have a polite word, you know. And he couldn't. Not for the next 20 km, after which the Linea happily disappeared
Personally its hard for me to believe that a laura was not able to catch the T-Jet. T-Jet is fantastic car. But quoting an incident which has so many variables including the driver himself i tend to disagree that a laura cannot match the T-Jet for performance.

What percentage of buyers at this segment buy a car based on 0-100? I really would like to know if someone can help.
Old 9th March 2011, 14:38   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am just wondering if VW calls this Jetta a performance car or more of an entry level luxury car. May be just below luxury.

Personally its hard for me to believe that a laura was not able to catch the T-Jet. T-Jet is fantastic car. But quoting an incident which has so many variables including the driver himself i tend to disagree that a laura cannot match the T-Jet for performance.

What percentage of buyers at this segment buy a car based on 0-100? I really would like to know if someone can help.
Jetta is not a performance car - sort of what my point is. Entry level luxury is how VW wants us to see it, like you said.

Agreed, a lot of factors play out when trying to "match" performance. But the T-Jet has higher power than Laura, lower kerb weight by over 150 kgs (therefore massive ptw advantage), and comparable torque (and torque curve) because it is a turbo'ed engine too! I am convinced that with both cars driven to the limit, this Linea won't be caught by this Laura (Unless it runs out of gas, which it definitely will well before the Diesel Laura)

What % buyers in this segment buy looking at 0-100? May be minuscule (I do not have data, but this will make for an interesting survey). Again, not the point. The point is - We all know the kind of "luxury seekers" who own/drive/get driven in the Jetta. But how many out and out petrol-heads do we know own/drive this car?

Anyway, no intention to dilute this thread which is about the new Jetta, which I hope does not give reason to have above discussions. Luxury is good, fast luxury is even better. Think RR .
Closed Thread