Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th March 2011, 21:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

Talking about 'Made for India' or re-engineered for India, one of the first cars that did that was the Hyundai Santro. Remember, the Santro is based on the Hyundai Atos, which used to have a flat van-like rear end. Apparently, when Hyundai showcased the car in India, people did not prefer the rear end forcing Hyundai to redesign and come up with a new rear end and a new name. Thats how the Santro was born and the rest as they say is history.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 21:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

The EU-version of the Grande Punto features electrical power steering with driver-selectable "city" mode. The city mode provides more power assistance in parking lot conditions. Some variants also feature electrical boot release like that of Polo.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 21:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Nope, both these cars were modified to suit the indian requirements, The new fiesta however is a global platform and hence door length would be similar in every country.
Looks the same to me. How much was it increased by?
Attached Images

Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 21:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this is the case elsewhere in the world, but Indian Skoda Superb comes with an Umbrella in a holder in its door. Looks to me like its "Made For India"
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 00:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Not sure if this is the case elsewhere in the world, but Indian Skoda Superb comes with an Umbrella in a holder in its door. Looks to me like its "Made For India"
No,thats a feature offered all over the world.Superb tried to do a Phantam,and voila they put an umbrella there.

I remember jeremy clarkson showing us that feature in top gear in a UK version superb.
avishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 00:29   #21
BHPian

The picture shows an Ikon hatch. But the foreign ford fiesta hatches too (in googled pics) have large front door. The coupe versions have huge doors!

And i do not understand how increasing the door size adds to cost because its not adding any extra metal, its just displacing the metal from body to door. Correct me if i am wrong.

Another modification for Indian versions are that the exhaust/muffler is taken as far up into the body as possible to prevent scrapes even if they are not the lowest points of the vehicle.

Another change they must be making is to beef up the cooling systems. The harsh temperatures and dusty conditions in india demand that.
OT:I guess that is one thing fiat just forgot to do in the palio.
Joe-Ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 02:11   #22
Team-BHP Support

To adapt their cars for India majority of the Manufacturers tweak the Suspension to take on the Indian roads, in this process the ground clearance is increased too. Earlier(Not sure about now) the Petrol engines were detuned and knock sensors were added to adapt to our low octane and adulterated fuel.

Some tweaked for India bits i know(AFAIK)-
  • Logan comes with Beige interiors only in India.
  • Punto and Linea get a different gearbox in India(If you have been wondering why Indian 75hp is slower than European 75). But unlike Europe where Punto comes with EPS, Punto here comes with a HPS.
  • Current Fiesta was adapted for India, AFAIK it was designed in Australia using the Euro Fiesta platform. Similarly the Ikon gained a boot for India.
  • India must be the only place in the world where 3 different generations of Alto i.e 800, Alto and A-Star are sold together. Similarly 2 generations of Accent, Lancer, Pajero and Octavia coexisted here.
  • Dzire gained a boot for our country.
  • Vento was developed for markets like India and Russia.
  • Figo was developed using the same older Fiesta platform.
  • Everest is called Endeavour here just because someone else already had a trademark on the name Everest.
  • SX4 gets the 1.3 Diesel.

The way the manufacturers take us for granted when offering safety equipment for our country is clearly not acceptable. Majority of the manufacturers have been offering safety bits like Airbags and Abs only on a single variant or had it entirely optional with limited availability.

Why do Manufacturers like Maruti think that lives of petrol buyers(ZXi) is more precious than their Diesel customers(no Swift ZDi)? Similarly Hyundai offers the curtain airbags clad variant only in 1.2 Petrol, not in 1.4 CRDi and 1.4AT. Nissan does not even have a single variant of Micra D with ABS but all versions come with a Driver's side Airbag, just because they could not localise the steering?? or it's cheap enough to flaunt in advertisements, just like they do with the keyless entry. It's not about pointing out flaws with certain manufacturers, most of them are in the same league. I appreciate Honda for offering ABS and Airbags on all the variants of all their cars sold here now, it's about time they set a benchmark by offering us curtain Airbags standard on all the variants(I know this is asking too much considering what other's offer).

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th March 2011 at 02:40.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 07:24   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
3. Not sure if this is Figo or Ikon, I remember hearing that there is a dog bar in the car specifically made for dogs running around in the country.
The Dog bar is there in the Fiesta Classic and the Figo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Looks the same to me. How much was it increased by?
I don't know the exact dimensions (i was not around then, I heard about it when i joined) but you can clearly see in the pics, In the pic that you have displayed, the F.door gives a more vertical presence where as if you google the Indian Ikon, The F. door gives a more horizontal presence.

I need everyone to take a look at this, Now this is getting out of hands, These websites are merely copying+pasting our work. Something needs to be done.

Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for India

Last edited by Dippy : 8th March 2011 at 13:45. Reason: back to back posts. Please use the multi quote option instead of creating back to back posts. Thanks
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 09:01   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
I need everyone to take a look at this, Now this is getting out of hands, These websites are merely copying+pasting our work. Something needs to be done.

Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for India
Sorry for going OT:
I've reported the same thing before on Jan23rd. Wonder why no one said anything? The article still exists. Or is it a sister website of team-bhp or do they have some arrangement? I've found many team-bhp posts on this particular website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
And how in the hell did the question i posted here in this thread end up here at Auto-India.co.in? Spring spacer & Spring rate question
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 12:10   #25
BHPian

Great thread !
My 2 cents:
1. Premium brands remain premium, RR, Maybach and the lot.
2. Hyundai, Maruti, Skoda and even Honda, Toyota, VW have become premium brands...this is mutating and not adapting !!
3. Chrome obsession - why don't people build cars out of Chrome and fix coloured metal stuff around (pun intended). I can see chrome garnishes on Cruze which are vulgar..I dont remember seeing them in Vauxhall Insignias' in the UK.

Why cant manufactures give correct tyres and alloys instead of all this ??
polopm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 12:16   #26
BHPian

The AC in many cars has been made more efficient to cope with the harsh Indian summers. Case in point is the FIAT Punto where customer feed back necessitated a better cooling AC.
dr_anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 12:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

can we consider the stiffer suspension set up for Jetta and other European cars for Indian market as a adaptation.

Also Jetta 2.0 TDI engine is tuned/mapped for better FE rather than power. The same engine is tuned for 170BHP in Europe.

Wonder if we can tune our engines to 140 or 170 BHP?
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 12:57   #28
BHPian

Every car that's been adapted for India gets higher profile tyres, and a raised suspension that makes them look like they're holding up their skirts to cross a puddle! Spoils the looks completely. I guess this is a cheaper substitute to extensive suspension redesign.
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 13:11   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Also Jetta 2.0 TDI engine is tuned/mapped for better FE rather than power. The same engine is tuned for 170BHP in Europe.

Wonder if we can tune our engines to 140 or 170 BHP?
There may be tweaking to tolerate the local fuel variations but the 2.0 TDI is available in europe in both 140 and 170 bhp
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 13:17   #30
Team-BHP Support

^^ I feel the power is restricted because the gearbox cannot handle more torque, The Laura DSG with the 140hp version works perfectly with our fuel. AFAIK the Jetta and Laura MT version get the SOHC version whereas the powerful 140hp as seen in Laura DSG, Superb, Passat Etc and 170hp version sold in Europe are DOHC versions, so it's not merely detuned, it's mechanically different too.

Last edited by .anshuman : 8th March 2011 at 13:19.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote