Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th March 2011, 12:48   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
@Dhanush

Sorry guys, for going off topic but i wanted to know if i was the only one having this problem.

:
I have the same problem Joe-Ker. I very often end up wiping my windshield when I intend to use the turn indicator on my Ford Ikon. The cars I drive more often - the Corolla and the Scorpio have indicators where I expect them to be and have been in every car since I learnt driving in 1979. Car driving is more a matter of reflexes than trying to remember positions of various stalks and pedals ( except for learners). Delayed reflexes could be a serious driving hazard.
dr_anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 12:53   #47
BANNED

Default Re: Made for India : How some foreign car manufacturers have adapted their cars for I

Ok everybody this is going OT now.

Also please do not mention any cost cutting features such as smaller wheels, No climate control, No Multimedia interfaces etc etc.

Please read the 1st post so as to know what is being discussed here. There can be a separate cost cutting thread to discuss all the other things.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 14:48   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Actually 'wrong' is 'right'.
The left hand is the one that is mostly free in a 'right-hand drive' and vice versa for a 'left-hand drive'. If you count the number of instances you are required to use the indicator stalk and wiper stalk you will notice that the indicator/headlight stalk is the oft-used one. Since our left hands are mostly free due to the presence of the gear lever on the left and the other hand on the steering, the often used indicator stalk should be on the left side.
Indian manufacturers have constantly given us wrong sided stalks and led us into believing 'wrong' is 'right'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
+1 to this

I was actually going to write the same thing. In our LHT(also known as RHD) system, The indicator stalks on the left are actually better suited to us. Most of us have owned a maruti 800/ alto or any other car as our first car, that is the reason we keep saying that brands like VW, Ford, BMW, Opel etc. etc. have indicator stalks on the wrong side. However i find the indicator stalks on the left more comfortable and so do many of the people here who have owned both type of cars. eg: members like Daewood and Gilead, i can recall.
Here's my view : As you have pointed out, our right hand is on the steering while the left on the steering/gear. I don't know if it because I am used to the indicator stalk being on the right or that this configuration is more convenient, but isn't it simpler to turn on the indicator with your right hand?

Why is the right, wrong?

Quote:
I find it a little didficult to digest that Daewood.

How can one hand be more free than another when holdinng a round (symmetrical) steering wheel. Ideally the car should be driven with two hand on the wheel but hand can be taken off in case of need. Driving while resting one hand on the gear is wrong. I have seen people driving with just one hand resting at the bottom of the wheel (this is dangerous, try a quick flick next time with only one hand resting at the bottom, you will be powerless to stop the car from zigsagging for sometime). Morover the stalks are designed to be used without taking your hands off the wheel. So if the left hand is busy on the gear knob, how can it be using the stalks at the same time.

@Libran of 1986

The headlight swithces may be ac type but pass flashers are still on the stalk i believe.

I have seen the wiper probs in lots of cars, wil have to get back to you on specifics. or wait for the monsoon
My point too.

Btw, you din't answer, which cars have the boot lid lever on the passenger side?

And "1987" sir.
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 15:47   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
but isn't it simpler to turn on the indicator with your right hand?
If your fingers are long enough and can turn on the indicator without taking your palm from the steering then it's ok, but for most of us Indians fingers aren't long enough like the europeans and hence we tend to loosen our grip on the steering while flipping the right hand indicators which can be dangerous as our other hand is already reaching for the gear lever.

Last edited by Daewood : 9th March 2011 at 15:50.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 16:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Btw, you din't answer, which cars have the boot lid lever on the passenger side?

And "1987" sir.

I believe the fiesta has it, along with many others. I think i herd someone mention the POLO too having hood release on other side

I Stand corrected (1986+1)
Joe-Ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 17:21   #51
BHPian

Fiesta has the hood (or bonnet) lever on the left. The boot (dicky) "button" on the Fiesta is to the right of the dash!

I too feel more comfortable with the indicator stalks on the left, rather than the right. I flick the stalks with my fingers keeping my hands on the steering. When I drive my father's Santro, I feel something is not ergonomically designed!

BTW I first turn on the indicator and then go about changing gears, not the other way round. Just seems more logical and safer to me!

Last edited by Neilguy : 9th March 2011 at 17:26.
Neilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 17:59   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember when we'd got the Corsa, whenever I drove the Corsa and then the Zen or vice-versa, I ended up starting the wipers!

Someone who's familiar with the manufacturing practices in the auto industry - is it so hard for manufacturers to change things like the indicator-wiper stalk, headlight switches etc. when they introduce cars in India? I mean, why is there not a convention for a particular country?

Quote:
I Stand corrected (1986+1)
I got the smiley placement; hope you realize I meant it as a joke!
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 18:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

Something else I realised is very clearly India-specific. The material of the dashboard.
The dash has to spend lots of time in Indian sunshine. Material used is always very different from the European models, where sunshine is less and climate is cooler.
KiloAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 18:33   #54
BHPian

Is there any difference in the color choices offered in India and abroad?
Because the climate is different, and so is the ambient lighting in most of Europe.

@1987..

@neilguy : What if the turning/ lane change is sudden and unplanned? or if the road is unfamiliar. (Or mostly in my case if the GPS tells me to turn a bit too late)

Last edited by Joe-Ker : 9th March 2011 at 18:37.
Old 9th March 2011, 19:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, that's a big problem.
The Germans and all we can justify ,but Ford with their made for India cars have stuck on with the LHd control stalks in a RHD market.
Can't understand how this works as cars that are imported are required by law to have RHD stalks, then why not cars manufactured here itself.
Am a Ford fan, alright but just hope that by the next wave of new cars they will rectify this problem,rather than plucking off from the European stable.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 19:38   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Yeah, that's a big problem.
The Germans and all we can justify ,but Ford with their made for India cars have stuck on with the LHd control stalks in a RHD market.
Can't understand how this works as cars that are imported are required by law to have RHD stalks, then why not cars manufactured here itself.
Am a Ford fan, alright but just hope that by the next wave of new cars they will rectify this problem,rather than plucking off from the European stable.
Some true facts!

1. There is no law in India, Europe or North America that mandates which side the indicator goes on.

2. The Europeans started with the indicator stalks on the left, Later on countries like Japan just assumed that since in LHD Europe stalks are on the right so RHD countries should have stalks on the left.

3. Some manufacturers did adapt by providing both kind of stalks depending on the market but currently nobody does. This is dues to:
a) Cost cutting for the company.
b) Cheaper spares for you.

4. For eg: In the UK, which is a RHD country, VW and ford have the indicator stalks on the left of the wheel. In america, which is a LHD country, Honda and toyota have their indicator stalks on the right.

Now this a history lesson for all of you. Period.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 19:53   #57
BHPian

I have read in an auto mag quite a time back that the seat belts used for cars to be sold in India are inferior in quality compared to the same, export specific model.

Regarding indicator stalks, there may not be any rules but convention and convenience dictates those should be on the right side for our country. Cost cutting doesnt play much role in this, I think.

Wipers should turn left to right, as a matter of safety.That way there wouldn't be blind spot (un wiped) on driver's side which is essential.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 20:01   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Ground Clearance has to be significant to cater to bad roads and improper speed breakers.
And Honda has NOT modified the City or the Civic to cater to this. The underside gets scraped with almost every single speedbraker.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 20:06   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

We've seen many petrol engines being detuned to handle low octane local fuel. Notably the Honda civic which loses 10? odd bhp. Usually a result of lower compression.

Diesels on the other hand are able to digest the local brew better
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 20:18   #60
BHPian

Another one : Saw this on some website but can some one confirm?

Cars driven on the right side of the road usually have headlights which are aimed slightly to the right when not on full beam, and vice-versa.

Appears logical, is it really followed? Both my cars have slightly Lefty beams. Any righties on Tbhp?